Web Page Design

macb

I am a beginner, well tried and half failed;

I have my own Web site BUT it has now been cleared by my mate for me.

I want to get my head round how to upload pics and design instead of relying on someone else to upload

Is there some easy to use fool proof software, I am not sure that I want to try and get my head around HTML format at this stage

Try Weebly. No HTML or Java knowledge required. just good old drag and drop, click, upload, and type.

You can use their Web Editor and host it in your own domain.

Edited by sensei

If your host supports frontpage extensions you can use that (FrontPage).

It came with most previous Office versions, but not with office 2007.

It does create a bit of a messy html jumble, but it works!

It automatically synchronizes with the host as well, so no messing with ftp programs either. You change a picture, some text, whatever and frontpage will modify everything on the host as needed.

I have a web sit I set up in England but cannot access from here, the problem is I am using TOT and cant access through another server. Does anyone know a way round this.

Not sure why you can't access it. Normally all webhosts can be accessed from anywhere.

The only thing I can think of is that you are using free hosting space supplied to you by your UK ISP. In which case you indeed will not get access unless you are actually logged on to the internet using that particular ISP... In which case there is no way around it apart from upgrading to a paid for package which will get full FTP access from anywhere in the world...

If you don't want to deal with HTML, CSS, JScript, etc., you should go with a CMS.

Does your website have a control panel such as CPanel or Plesk, or can you only access it via FTP? If it uses a control panel you may have the option to deploy a CMS such as WordPress, which is by far the easiest to use. There are a lot of free themes available that will let you deal with content and avoid dealing with layout and design.

If you don't have a control panel available, you should ask your host, or a friend, to install WordPress or another easy to use CMS for you. It's a quick procedure if you know what you're doing.

You can go the desktop editor route too, some were mentioned above. Lots of free/cheap ones out there, then some more powerful ones that cost a bit more such as Dreamweaver. IMO, learning how to use the editors for a beginner is more complicated than learning to use WordPress or another basic CMS.

Thanks guys plenty of replies to tax my brain cells, my web page has to have the use of FTP:

A Bit off the beaten track but when are we going to be able to create a Blog again one of the Mods did say it was being worked on by Tech support but still waiting ?

Anyone use Dreamweaver ?

How does it compare to Frontpage ?

I need to make a page for my wife and do not want to do any programming.

Comments appreciated

I hope the OP will benefit from this information

I used Frontpage for over a decade, as it is very easy and simple to learn. Switched to Wordpress now and using it as a CMS rather than as a blog. Again, very easy to learn and you can get it to do complicated stuff by downloading plugins to do all that for you. There are thousands of themes you can use with it to give your site a nice look, and then they are easy to customise to suit you. No need to know anything about HTML or FTPing etc etc.

A lot of hosting companies have 'Fantastico' which allows you to install wordpress, amongst other programs, from your control panel in a couple of clicks. See if yours does.

Spend a day messing around and you'll learn how everything works pretty quickly.

Anyone use Dreamweaver ?

Comments appreciated

Dreamweaver is the better program, creates cleaner code as well.

But as with most Adobe programs, it tends to have so many whistles and bells, many of them you'll never come to use, and with it comes a steeper learning curve.

Anyone use Dreamweaver ?

Comments appreciated

Dreamweaver is the better program, creates cleaner code as well.

But as with most Adobe programs, it tends to have so many whistles and bells, many of them you'll never come to use, and with it comes a steeper learning curve.

Agreed! IMHO not the program for 'my first web page design'...

If your host supports frontpage extensions you can use that (FrontPage).

It came with most previous Office versions, but not with office 2007.

It does create a bit of a messy html jumble, but it works!

It automatically synchronizes with the host as well, so no messing with ftp programs either. You change a picture, some text, whatever and frontpage will modify everything on the host as needed.

Oh please don't recommend that pile of junk. AFAIK it has been discontinued by MS. As you already sayd it is a messy HTML jumple, but it is also buggy, requires regular server resets. I don't think it makes much difference to the upload process, how difficult is it to upload with FTP? It can hardly be easier.

:)

Anyone use Dreamweaver ?

Comments appreciated

I love Dreamweaver! I had been using Front Page, but moved on to Dreamweaver after taking an online course just for the heck of it. I found it a tad difficult to get started, but then found it very intuitive...it has to be since I did not want to get into HTML at all.

I am curious where you find software like Dreamweaver in Thailand.

I am curious where you find software like Dreamweaver in Thailand.

In your local computer store, if you can't find it, you can contact me because we sell it in our shop.

Anyways, yes I would also recommend Dreamweaver over FrontPage any day. Personally I have never used any of the designers, I write all the HTML myself, so I can't compare the programs in that regard, but Dreamweaver is a nice program and FrontPage isn't, let's just put it like that :)