Digging My Pond

DLock

There has been some inspiring threads in the past about ponds and lakes, how people developed them and what they use them for. I have always been really envious of some of your beautiful lakes and waterside salas.

I've been planning on digging one for a while and all the posts have been really helpful, so I thought I'd return the favor and document my pond from end to end - planning all the way through to fishing, and maybe help someone else out.

My lake is going to be about 2000sqm freeform shape and will be mostly 2 meters in depth and 1 "hole" of 3 meters, just in case the water runs dry and I have a place to support whatever fish are in the pond. The lake will be located on lower land that has flooded twice in the past, so I do need to build up the sides about 1 meter to safe if it floods again.

First step was planning the space, taking into consideration the trees I wanted to keep and how much I had to build up around the lake to prevent any floods in a big rainy season. I used white cement to mark the boundaries and the "hole", then pegged it out for the Macro driver to be able to see clearly.

The following photos are the raw land all marked out ready for the dig.

post-21832-1248942677_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248942723_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248942763_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248942809_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248942870_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248942912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After agreeing a fee of 12,000baht per day for his brand new Macro, including driver and fuel, the local Pu Yai turned up this morning at 8am and we cut a hole in the fence and started digging...well, he did. I just watched.

We really had no idea what was under the surface in terms of quality of dirt or sand and whether it would hold water or how deep the water table was. Being low lying and green all year round, I expected the water table to be high, but I didn't expect what happened next.

After digging down about 2 meters, the holes started seeping water and after 30 minutes, the small pond was about halfway full of water - good sign I guess.

I really enjoy watching the Macro work. Actually, I like watching anyone else work. He was so precise in his control of digging, but also of his control of spreading the dirt where I has asked and the correct depth.

We expected this to take about 5 days to dig, but I'd say he will be close to half way done today(1st day).

The following pictures are from throughout the day. The one from up high is from my house. I always wanted to have lake views from the house...

post-21832-1248944110_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248944238_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248944825_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248945026_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248945127_thumb.jpg

Edited by DLock

Dlock,

looking fwd. to seeing this project take shape. i dug one about 3 years ago,20m by 20m,about 5m deep. it started with only about 1/2 m of groundwater, but fills up to the brim every wet season and only drops to about half at it's very lowest.

looking back, wish i'd have dug an a-typical shape like yours. i guess it was my upbringing on a farm where the fields were square and the rows HAD to be straight.

just curious, what kind of fish are you planning to stock?

rgds,

tp

Good thread DLock.............more photos?? You might find it a good investment to make most of it 3 mtrs with tapered sides so it does not collapse in on you. Since it s going faster than you thought, still be in your budget?

BEENTHERE, yes it will have tapered sides so it will be more stable, and also so I can get out when I do eventually fall in.

From some of the other pond posts, I wanted to have light reach the bottom of the lake so it didnt get all fouled up and 2 meters seemed to be the optimum depth.

However, I noticed in the areas that were dug this morning that the water has settled and is very clear. I'll take pictures everyday there is something interesting to show, but will definately have one first thing tomorrow morning to show clarity.

Appreciate the advice.

Dlock,

looking fwd. to seeing this project take shape. i dug one about 3 years ago,20m by 20m,about 5m deep. it started with only about 1/2 m of groundwater, but fills up to the brim every wet season and only drops to about half at it's very lowest.

looking back, wish i'd have dug an a-typical shape like yours. i guess it was my upbringing on a farm where the fields were square and the rows HAD to be straight.

just curious, what kind of fish are you planning to stock?

rgds,

tp

TP,

My plans were always to stock fish only for recreation and I don't plan on greenwater feeding. Ozzydom has been a great source of knowledge and I plan to follow his advice mixed sex Tilapia, some Giant Catfish and some Barramundi. I will get my water tested to make sure my water is ok, and probably buy fingerlings, so hopefully I am fishing faster.

Only last night, my wife and I let go 4 turtles at the temple lake that she purchased from the market, so I suspect there will end up being some turtles as well.

At Chatuchak market I did see some baby Alligators and I did think that would be pretty cool...until the dog disappears.

This was the last few shots of the day, about 1/3rd done. I know most people will find the shots pretty boring, but I like to document stuff.

DLock.

post-21832-1248950728_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248950896_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248950962_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1248951022_thumb.jpg

Hi Great Pics ~~~ keep them coming.

My only comment would be do not expect the water to be very clear, with Barramundi and especially catfish they stir up a lot of silt from the bottom of the pond with their rooting around.

In my experience it is impossible to keep catfish out of the pond and Turtles in!

Good Luck

TBWG :)

Looks like a beutiful place.

Where is it?

Very professional excavation. I've often operated a track machine myself and I can see that guy is good.

Thanks Paddy.

My property is near Chiang Mai.

The Pu Yai keeps asking if I want to have a go of the Macro, but so far I have declined. It's new and expensive. I can get a bit stupid behind the whel of any moving vehicle. Results may not be good.

Looking good there DLock, great to see somebody living their dream for a change .

Will follow your progress with interest .

Dont get on the forum much these days as I am spending a lot of time in Cambodia consulting on establishing chicken and fish farms.

Looking good there DLock, great to see somebody living their dream for a change .

Will follow your progress with interest .

Dont get on the forum much these days as I am spending a lot of time in Cambodia consulting on establishing chicken and fish farms.

Thanks Ozzydom...your threads on ponds and fish were the driving force behind giving this a shot....and any advice is always really appreciated.

Day 2.

The progress has slowed down a bit today, mainly because he has to move the dirt 2 or 3 times to its final place, but I am really impressed with this Macro driver. He works hard and is very, very precise. I was always concerned that it might have been a bit of a mess, but he has done really well.

The Pu Yai said he will bring in his mini bobcat to level all the dirt and fill up any holes that settle after construction.

The rather steep sides from day 1 have been made closer to 45 degrees for the rest of the lake, thanks to the advice yesterday.

is it a lake or a pond? What is the defining factor? Size?

Here are the pictures from this afternoon.

post-21832-1249024904_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249024991_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249025043_thumb.jpg

Day 2.

The progress has slowed down a bit today, mainly because he has to move the dirt 2 or 3 times to its final place, but I am really impressed with this Macro driver. He works hard and is very, very precise. I was always concerned that it might have been a bit of a mess, but he has done really well.

The Pu Yai said he will bring in his mini bobcat to level all the dirt and fill up any holes that settle after construction.

The rather steep sides from day 1 have been made closer to 45 degrees for the rest of the lake, thanks to the advice yesterday.

is it a lake or a pond? What is the defining factor? Size?

Here are the pictures from this afternoon.

See here~~~ so now we know! :Dhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_diff...pond_and_a_lake

One question....12'000 Baht a day for 5 days, that's 60k! :) Expensive... don't you think so. I did my 1 rai (1600 sq. m) depth of

1.2-1.3m by the hour of 1'100 Baht, took about 8 hours plus. 9'000 Baht after throwing in 2 bottles of lao khao......

One question....12'000 Baht a day for 5 days, that's 60k! :) Expensive... don't you think so. I did my 1 rai (1600 sq. m) depth of

1.2-1.3m by the hour of 1'100 Baht, took about 8 hours plus. 9'000 Baht after throwing in 2 bottles of lao khao......

We finished today - total of 2.5 days - 30,000 baht.

I'm sure there were cheaper options available, whether they would have listened to my exact needs and done as well, I guess I'll never know.

But this was never about the cost. It was about building a pond in the exact spot with the earth banks carefully placed and spread.

The pond ended up only around 1,600 sqm - a little smaller than I expected, but the odd shape, trees, access, careful placement of earth and slippery conditions meant it took longer than a square pond in an open area. We used no trucks to take dirt away, so everything that came out had to go somewhere.

Next steps are to let the banks dry out for a few days, then the mini macro will come back and even everything up, build up some low spots and get it ready for the "kings grass" around the pond, some giant boulders strategically placed. some plants and a sala. I will probably start adding water plants in the next 2 weeks and then wait a month or so to add fish, depending on what the water level does.

I will update the post each step of the way.

Here are the photos at the end of the 2.5 day dig.

post-21832-1249125055_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249125098_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249125158_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249125208_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1249125245_thumb.jpg

DLock, its looking like its all coming together really great. I am sure you will have many leisure hours dangling a line and enjoying your creation .

One little tip, when planting your water plants ( I imagine you are referring to water lilies and lotus etc) , place the bulbs or root sections in large pots weighed down with stones and gravel to restrict their spread otherwise when rains wash nitrates into the lake the plants will bolt and take over .

The Barra,s love a nice patch of lily to hide out in and ambush their prey and placed strategically so that you can trawl a surface popper lure past to entice a hook-up. :)

W O W !!! Talk about doing things in half measures. This is one of the best threads I've seen on Thai Visa, Thankyou so much for sharing this with us. It looks fantastic, sorry I don't know much about ponds but spent 10 years digging on my property, so I know what that is like. Looks great, please keep the info and photos coming.

:)

Hi DL

What is Kings Grass?

Don't make the mistake I made and let someone plant one of those Lotus lilies that you see growing in the water by the roadside.

It took over within months and was a b****r to get rid of.

Great thread, keep it coming

DLock, its looking like its all coming together really great. I am sure you will have many leisure hours dangling a line and enjoying your creation .

One little tip, when planting your water plants ( I imagine you are referring to water lilies and lotus etc) , place the bulbs or root sections in large pots weighed down with stones and gravel to restrict their spread otherwise when rains wash nitrates into the lake the plants will bolt and take over .

The Barra,s love a nice patch of lily to hide out in and ambush their prey and placed strategically so that you can trawl a surface popper lure past to entice a hook-up. :)

Ozzy, glad you told me that. I would have just stuck a few mature plants bulbs into the pond bottom, and yes I was talking mainly about water lillies and lotus.

So, having them in pots they will never expand beyond the pot, or make new shoots into the pond proper?

Hi DL

What is Kings Grass?

Don't make the mistake I made and let someone plant one of those Lotus lilies that you see growing in the water by the roadside.

TBWG, Kings Grass is probably better known by the name Vetiver, so named "Kings Grass" because of his initiatives with it around Thailand in the past.

Its a grass that has very deep roots and is used to stabilize sloping earth, like riverbanks, hillsides etc. Perfect to help keep my pond banks together and reduce any erosion.

I understand that it is available free of charge, but I am yet to find it locally.

Thanks for the advice on lillies. I would have done exactly that, if not for your and Ozzy's advice.

One question....12'000 Baht a day for 5 days, that's 60k! :D Expensive... don't you think so. I did my 1 rai (1600 sq. m) depth of

We finished today - total of 2.5 days - 30,000 baht.

I'm sure there were cheaper options available, whether they would have listened to my exact needs and done as well, I guess I'll never know.

But this was never about the cost. It was about building a pond in the exact spot with the earth banks carefully placed and spread.

The pond ended up only around 1,600 sqm - a little smaller than I expected, but the odd shape, trees, access, careful placement of earth and slippery conditions meant it took longer than a square pond in an open area. We used no trucks to take dirt away, so everything that came out had to go somewhere.

Next steps are to let the banks dry out for a few days, then the mini macro will come back and even everything up, build up some low spots and get it ready for the "kings grass" around the pond, some giant boulders strategically placed. some plants and a sala. I will probably start adding water plants in the next 2 weeks and then wait a month or so to add fish, depending on what the water level does.

I will update the post each step of the way.

Here are the photos at the end of the 2.5 day dig.

Sorry...I forgot, mine's being commercial and your's leisure. Think i'll follow yours and digg one mini odd-shape leisure pond next to all my commercial pond....and a resort style mini villa. I can imagine myself lying on the hamlock with one hand holding Chang and the other hand holding a rod fishing :) , sure feel great......good job and well done!

Edited by RedBullHorn

Hi DL

What is Kings Grass?

TBWG, Kings Grass is probably better known by the name Vetiver, so named "Kings Grass" because of his initiatives with it around Thailand in the past.

Its a grass that has very deep roots and is used to stabilize sloping earth, like riverbanks, hillsides etc. Perfect to help keep my pond banks together and reduce any erosion.

I understand that it is available free of charge, but I am yet to find it locally.

Thanks for the advice on lillies. I would have done exactly that, if not for your and Ozzy's advice.

King grass is Vetiver...Thai call it "Ya Faeg".....Once you plant it, it is there to stay, excellent in soil erosion control.