Aot Beefs Up Security At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys want some cheese with that.......?
everybody needs his cut right, and they forgot the luggage thieves...

ur last surprise when you come home... if you did not end up in one of the other thai scemes to get rid of your useless baht's outside thailand...

so for tourists who plan to come here :

ripped on arrival

ripped with taxi fares

prepare to pay double in hotels, restaurants, shops ...

watch out for security that might accuse you with dropping a sigarette bud even you do not smoke ...

carefull when shopping in duty free, might end up in jail

what out of buying stuff or doing business with thais as you might fly out of a window (famous in pattaya)

watch out not to get robbed, shot, stabbed

watch out for ladyboys, aids, veneral deseases

etc...

Stop whining or stay in your Falang country! :D

Stop%20Whining.jpg

Thank you, exactly my thoughts. I really can't see why this would be a negative thing, but it doesn't really matter. any news that comes out here have to be bad news?

I log in to read the news, and maybe some more info about this, but all i see is whining...go home then if everything is that bad....or if you can't stick to topic, go post in SA instead.

Like most of you guys i choose to come here, why try to change this place then? Remember, you are all guests...

YOU ARE ALL GUESTS line has cropped up again. :):D

You will get all sorts of arguements on that one. Would you really treat your guests as that poster has described, because whilst his post may come sound like a whinge, its all true.

As for the three times rule, i think many may be missreading the article...

any firm who has three incidences of having employees caught stealing will get its contract cancelled..

you can hardly expect a company to get its business shafted after one bad employee is caught.

This might motivate companies to look harder at staff and take broader measures to ensure this crap doesnt continue imo

The problem with luggage is magnified because it's so much harder to bring carry on luggage on the plane. That often means that things I would normally keep quite close to me are now, not so safely put into my suitcase. This has happened to me at the airport where they decided the carry on bag was too heavy and made me repack things into my suitcase.

Fortunately for me, what I consider valuable and what thieves consider valuable are different, so I have had very little theft in many years of flying.

They will be fired and the contracted company that hired them will face legal consequences.

A firm whose staff steal from passengers' bags more than three times will have its contract terminated, Mr Piyaphan said.

The individual thieves are sacked immediately, the firms that provide them gets 3 chances. RTFA.

The problem with Thai security is they all will exploit their position for personal gains.

More rules = more exploitation.

So true. Every time a new law is implemented I can't help but to think to myself of ways the police will exploit it.

Wait, a thief gets two free passes before they are fired on the third botched attempt to rip us off?!? What kinda crazy rule is that out. This is not baseball, it's crime. We always wonder why when we go to tland we always come home with more things missing then travels elsewhere, remarkably so. Now we know. Cheers.

Can't you read? The initial post clearly says the thief will be fired immediately and the contractor will get three chances.

Your post is yet another attempt at misinformation by a member. You think that's clever? If you do then you're obviously not clever.

everybody needs his cut right, and they forgot the luggage thieves...

ur last surprise when you come home... if you did not end up in one of the other thai scemes to get rid of your useless baht's outside thailand...

so for tourists who plan to come here :

ripped on arrival

ripped with taxi fares

prepare to pay double in hotels, restaurants, shops ...

watch out for security that might accuse you with dropping a sigarette bud even you do not smoke ...

carefull when shopping in duty free, might end up in jail

what out of buying stuff or doing business with thais as you might fly out of a window (famous in pattaya)

watch out not to get robbed, shot, stabbed

watch out for ladyboys, aids, veneral deseases

etc...

CLASSIC POST.....So true. Thailand the land of lies and deception!

So true, so true... This is the unfortunate reality. As a friend once said, Thailand is a country full of con men.

yeah! spread the word...maybe more people like you will stay out and it will make our lives that much more delightful here. That list is ridiculous, generalized, and not to mention par for the course in every country in the world except maybe the Vatican...on second thought the latter portion of that list probably describes the Vatican City as well...sorry to say. Oh and you forgot the pedophile part...better put that in your list as well.

Oh yes. I forgot. I arrived in bkk via Asia Air yesterday, which I found Asia Air quite good in service and price, except claiming the baggage took nearly an hour. Now I understand they probably needed time to rummage through the bags a bit to find items of interest. Makes sense now. :)

"...additional 989 million baht in rent from the King Power",

Who knows, maybe this is their way of getting King Power out since I don't know how they will pay the rent once everybody stops shopping or getting ripped there.

One can only hope.

Theft is a way of life in Thailand. Both random and institutionalized.

I've had items stolen from my checked bags at Swampy. One item was my favorite Swiss Army knife that had traveled with me for over 16 years. The only way they could have found it was through an x-ray as it was well hidden.

I say...AOT chok dee!

Edited by onomataho

I flew into Liverpool John Lennon Airport the other week. On the wall outside the main terminal, there's a big mural that says: "above us only sky". From looking at the airport website, they use these lyrics as their main marketing slogan.

I hear there's a similar Lennon-inspired mural/slogan planned for Bangkok airport: "imagine no possessions".

Edited by ThaiRack

Did anyone notice the comment lower in the Post article that the employee would get fired after he had stolen gear from bags 3 times!!??

Yes, I missed that initially. I wonder how many times someone has actually stolen something before they get caught 3 times. What a joke. :)

actually the way i read that is if the contractor has 3 of its employees get caught they lose the contract..not that same there basically making the company that hires the people responsible for there actions which is good.

btw this is a huge problem at all major airports. so really until everyone fixes the problem its not a thai issue, its an airport issue worldwide

Edited by Dkalasz

Thank you, exactly my thoughts. I really can't see why this would be a negative thing, but it doesn't really matter. any news that comes out here have to be bad news?

I log in to read the news, and maybe some more info about this, but all i see is whining...go home then if everything is that bad....or if you can't stick to topic, go post in SA instead.

Like most of you guys i choose to come here, why try to change this place then? Remember, you are all guests...

Sorry, are you saying it is not a negative thing to have items stolen out of your luggage???

The whole "Thailand is perfect, without room for improvement" thought process just baffles me.

Wait, a thief gets two free passes before they are fired on the third botched attempt to rip us off?!? What kinda crazy rule is that out. This is not baseball, it's crime. We always wonder why when we go to tland we always come home with more things missing then travels elsewhere, remarkably so. Now we know. Cheers.

I think it says the contract company loses it's contract after 3 thefts but the thief gets fired straight away.

Stop whining or stay in your Falang country! :D

Stop%20Whining.jpg

OK then apologists, why not take your "be happy to bend over and take it" approach through to its logical conclusion. Next time you get seriously ill, do nothing. People get sick and die all the time, it's the natural order of things. Why try to change it? Don't you dare whine about the need for more medical research or better hospitals ... and don't take your medicine. If you can't accept that then, well, you're not ready to be a human ... get outa here :)

The luggage theft issue in isolation is hardly life or death, but it is one visible facet of the obvious breakdown in law and order at Suv. airport, and clearly an element of the overall security issue. In this day and age who would amongst you would be so foolish as to suggest that airport security - which can affect ALL of us deeply - should be put to one side for some imagined fear of bruising Thai sensibilities. So save your "quite whining" signs for threads about how hot the food is here.

"The number of inspectors in the area would be boosted and an additional 165"

The only thing I see happening because of this is that theft will increase. There will now be 165 more people with their hands out ready for their portion of the booty.

Oh come on and stop being ridculous. Take the time to reread the quote:

The number of inspectors in the area would be boosted and an additional 165 surveillance cameras would be installed.

That's 165 more cameras, not 165 more people.

-Spode

With the thieves at London's Heathrow it's a wonder there is anything left at all the suitcases for the Thai baggage handlers to steal.

You say that because you never tried Rome's Fiumicino......YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THE REAL iTALY!

I've actually never heard that this is much of a problem. I'd much rather have them get rid of the touts in the lobby.

Are you kidding? It is BIG problem. I have had more than one person I personally know have things stolen from baggage there. And there are lots of reports from tourists.

Another "crackdown" announced before it happens. Same as the touts. As long as all the crims/touts know they will be warned ahead of time, no need to stop the thieving, and after, back to "normal." Ridiculous.

btw this is a huge problem at all major airports. so really until everyone fixes the problem its not a thai issue, its an airport issue worldwide

this a worldwide thing, its not only limited to thailand, as long as people work somewhere there are always going to be a rotten egg or two...

I think you will find that if three of their staff are caught stealing, the company will have its contract terminated. Not if one person steals thee times!

I notice that all the AOT's comments on baggage theft blame some one else for the thefts and no doubt this will continue after the "crackdown".

No doubt SRT staff are rubbing their hands at the prospect of stealing luggage checked in at the Makkasan Airport Link station whenever the union deigned to allow that to open. AOT will also be pleased as they will have some one else to blame for luggage thefts.