Taking Your Big Bike To The Los It It Wort The Hassel

Jaydillon

Hi all I am thinking of bringing my bid bike to Thailand. The duty and shipping will cost me a few thousand £,I like riding my bike so I don't mind going through the hassle and the sleepless nights getting my bike across.

Thailand having motorway restrictions on bikes is it worth going through the hassle and cost associated with the move.

I would appreciate all positive comments,and safe riding.

Hi all I am thinking of bringing my bid bike to Thailand. The duty and shipping will cost me a few thousand £,I like riding my bike so I don't mind going through the hassle and the sleepless nights getting my bike across.

Thailand having motorway restrictions on bikes is it worth going through the hassle and cost associated with the move.

The restrictions are only in Bangkok (I think) so it depends on where you are going to be living. Otherwise, if you got the cash, I say do it. Lots of big bikes and big bikers here. You may still want to see what's available over here first though. Big bikes are becoming available at a greater rate and in some cases at more reasonable prices. (Compared to how they used to be here, not compared to how much they are back home)

The restrictions are only in Bangkok (I think) so it depends on where you are going to be living. Otherwise, if you got the cash, I say do it. Lots of big bikes and big bikers here. You may still want to see what's available over here first though. Big bikes are becoming available at a greater rate and in some cases at more reasonable prices. (Compared to how they used to be here, not compared to how much they are back home)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be living in Hua Hie,I note the a growing big bike community in Thailand and what's out there for sale.I want to brining my 2002 Ducati 998S had it since new and only done 7500 miles.The bike is in mint condition and and I have the 50mm Trem's ans the slipper clutch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be living in Hua Hie,I note the a growing big bike community in Thailand and what's out there for sale.I want to brining my 2002 Ducati 998S had it since new and only done 7500 miles.The bike is in mint condition and and I have the 50mm Trem's ans the slipper clutch.

Oh, you didn't say it was a Ducati....I understand now. Lots of sentimental value. I would bring it for sure. Duc's are very expensive here. It might almost make financial sense. Almost. I'm sure you know there is a dealer in Bangkok now. Not too incredibly far from Hua Hin, which is where I think are saying you are headed?

I'm sure other BM's more familiar with bringing bikes in will be able to give you better info than I.

Cannot be muchof a bike for only 800 miles a year. Or dont you ride much?

Have they given you a definite indication of the duty payable, in writing?

When I asked several years ago about bringing my m/cycle to Thailand I was informed that the import duty was 150% of the value THEY put on my bike.

If someone takes a shine to your Duke don't be surprised if the value should suddenly go up when it hits the quayside in BKK.

Look at a breakdown and parts shipment.. Thats the cost effective way to legalize.

Or come in on temporary import and find the company to legalize if for you in that time.. Then ride it out to Malaysia and have it broken down there.

When I asked several years ago about bringing my m/cycle to Thailand I was informed that the import duty was 150% of the value THEY put on my bike.

If someone takes a shine to your Duke don't be surprised if the value should suddenly go up when it hits the quayside in BKK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first need to apply for a import permit and working on it at the moment.The valuation price was taken from the parkers price guide.On top of the duty I will have to pay the clearing agents fees.I will have all the necessary documents from the customs so the bike will be legitimate and Taxing,Registering the bike for the Green book and Insuring will all fall in to place,and when I get stop by the boys in tight brown pants the bike will be road legal.If I do sell the bike in the feature I will have the paper trail all the way from the UK.I am still thinking about the move and looking into all the unknown.I have found my self a good European agent and we are working closely

together. They will NOT squeeze my balls and take my bike off me,if shit hits the fan and things gets nasty I will send my bike back home to the UK ASAP.I am NOT desperate.

Import Calculations

Motorbike

Brand/Type: Ducati 998S

Year: 2002

Estimated Price: 5000 GBP

Est. price THB 285000 Ex. Rate: 57 THB/GBP

FOB Value of the Motorbike

285,000.00 x 11% = 316,350.00

Import Duty

316,350.00 x 60% = 189,810.00

Excise Tax

506,160.00 / 20.23255 = 25,017.11

Interior Tax

25,017.11 x 10% = 2,501.71

VAT

502,328.82 x 7% = 35,163.02

Total import tax

Or dont bother.

As you will be unable to get it at the port unless you have a HUGE amount of money and then you will have to have a HUGE amount of money to rego it. iT REALLY IS not WORTH THE HEADACHE. get a bike here when you arrive. and have had time to see what the driving standard and the mechanics standard is. Also they can and will price it as a THai bike not a Uk bike. you forgot to add the transport cost that is taxed as well.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Edited by thaicbr

The only way Inwould consider bringing a bike here is with a carnet but even then I would make sure that I had insurance to cover the carnet bond if the bike is stolen.

It may be possible to import a bike over a land border such as Malasia without a carnet but by declaration for a period of less than 12 Months.

If I did this I think it would be easier to bring it into Malaysia and ride it up than dealing with Thai ports.

Cannot be muchof a bike for only 800 miles a year. Or dont you ride much?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your right mate,I have several bikes and the Ducati is one of them.I haven't got much time anyway because of work, when I do find the time it rains.The bike has been off the road since 2006.

Harry Thailand does not accept carnet. they only visa the bike with your visa meaning it has to leave when you visa run. Thats what another poster said any way.

Taken from the Thai customs website.

Temporary Vehicle Import

A temporary vehicle import is a vehicle (including motorcycles) brought into Thailand by a resident of another country, usually for a maximum of six months, while remaining registered in its country of origin. A tourist or traveler may import a motor vehicle into Thailand without payment of Customs taxes and duties provided they intend to take the vehicle from Thailand at the conclusion of the visit.

Documentation and Clearance Procedures

To facilitate tax and duty free entry, a tourist/traveler will be required to put up a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties. The deposit will be refunded providing the vehicle and attachments are exported within the stipulated period of temporary entry. The minimum documentation required for temporary vehicles imports consists of:

· Temporary Import Declaration Form with a duplicate;

· Vehicle Registration Certificate;

· Identification Card and/or Passport (in case the Logbook of the car imported is in the traveler's name);

· Letter of Attorney (in case the Logbook is not in the name of the traveler);

· Re-Export Deposit; and

· Other relevant documents (if any)

It is also required that complete contents of vehicle be declared at the time of entry into Thailand. If this is not done, you may be subject to a fine and the vehicle and its contents may be seized.

Before a vehicle is released from Customs’ control, a tourist/traveler or authorized person submits a Temporary Vehicle Import Declaration Form and all supporting documents, including a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties to Customs at the port of entry.

For importation of a motorcycle, a traveler is allowed to offer himself as a guarantee if such motorcycle is imported via 3 ports: the Bangkok International Airport Customs Bureau, Bangkok Port Customs Bureau, and Bangkok Customs Bureau. In case a traveler enters Thailand via regional Customs offices, Customs may allow person other than a traveler to act as a guarantee for temporary vehicle imports. In an exceptional circumstance, provided the traveler is unable to place a deposit in cash or bank guarantee, Customs may also allow such traveler to offer himself as a guarantee.

If an importer meets the necessary requirements mentioned above, the temporary vehicle import will be granted for two months from the date of entry into the country. In an exceptional circumstance, and provided a written request is made in advance, the Thai Customs Department may grant an extension to allow the vehicle to remain in Thailand for up to six months of its arrival in Thailand. The vehicle should be exported out of Thailand within the allowed temporary entry period, and must not be imported with the intention of selling it.

Motor Vehicles Carrying Goods or Passenger

A registered motor vehicle carrying goods or passenger is normally allowed to temporarily enter or leave Thailand without lodging a Temporary Import Declaration Form and a cash deposit or a bank guarantee. However, if taxes and duties applicable on such vehicle have not yet been paid, an importer is required to submit a Temporary Import Declaration Form together with a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties to Customs at the first time of entry. Then, such motor vehicle is allowed to enter Thailand as far as the temporary admission document is valid.

Regular Visits with Motor Vehicle or Motorcycle

A traveler entering or leaving Thailand on a regular basis with a motor vehicle or motorcycle is not required to follow clearance procedures mentioned above. Under this particular circumstance, Customs will issue a regular traveler a “Customs Pass,” a permit for temporary imports/exports of motor vehicles or motorcycle on a regular basis into Thailand. The Customs Pass is valid for one year and issued in triplicate: one is kept at the Regional Customs Office, one at the Customs point of entry, and one return to a traveler.

When entering or leaving Thailand, a traveler is required to present a Customs Pass, together with a Temporary Import Declaration Form, at the point of entry /exit for Customs inspection purpose.

Edited by thaicbr

Harry Thailand does not accept carnet. they only visa the bike with your visa meanining it has to leave when you visa run. Thats what another poster said any way.

Ok when I went to the old europe my bike always went with me so I would have thought avisa run was good as it extends the bikes stay too.

This link seems to cover the subject.

http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-tha...s-into-thailand

don't do it, period.

There is a lot of uncertainty. I imported a bike to California. It was damaged during transit and then ended up in some bomded warehouse in San Diego. The Customs were tough as an ingrown toenail, setting a limit of 1 year.

What is your bike?

You can buy one here, ride it, then sell it for less and come out ahead. And even if you are relocating for good, this doesn't make financial sense!

As you have deep pockets, maybe you can find a deal - say you like the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure. Not a problem! But get one with green book. Or a Ducati, or a Triumph.

Many folks here are overjoyed and buy the Kawa 650 twin, Er 6 fm, forgot the name. At 225,000 Baht, that is the price of your customs bill!

To be honest, I love the Buell deals available in San Diego. Right at the harbor, get a RoRo vessel to take it to Europe... $ 5,000 for a nice 2006 1200 cc Buell... But I gave up on importing one to LOS. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first need to apply for a import permit and working on it at the moment.The valuation price was taken from the parkers price guide.On top of the duty I will have to pay the clearing agents fees.I will have all the necessary documents from the customs so the bike will be legitimate and Taxing,Registering the bike for the Green book and Insuring will all fall in to place,and when I get stop by the boys in tight brown pants the bike will be road legal.If I do sell the bike in the feature I will have the paper trail all the way from the UK.I am still thinking about the move and looking into all the unknown.I have found my self a good European agent and we are working closely

together. They will NOT squeeze my balls and take my bike off me,if shit hits the fan and things gets nasty I will send my bike back home to the UK ASAP.I am NOT desperate.

Import Calculations

Motorbike

Import Duty

Excise Tax

Interior Tax

VAT

Total import tax

Are those figures quoted from Thai customs?

I ask because when I inquired they said all in it would be 150%.

And as said elsewhere it is of the value Thai customs put on the bike. Forget about waving Glass's Guide or Parkers under their noses.

Another thing to consider is that it can be made extremely difficult to get something back out of Thailand from off the quayside should you not like the Customs perceived value of your bike.

Sorry to sound so anti but it is fraught with hurdles and the potential to lose your Duke is high.

If money's no object why not save yourself the time, uncertainty and aggravation and just buy a new Ducati in Thailand-

MONSTER 696+ th.jpg Scoop M696 * NEW* 580,000 ฿ 1100 720,000 ฿ 1100 S th.jpg Scoop M1100S * NEW* 830,000 ฿ bullet.gif Streetfighter streetfighter 940,000 ฿ streetfighter S 1,150,000 ฿ bullet.gif Super Bike 848 th.jpg Preview 848 * NEW* 899,000 ฿ 1198 1,198,000 ฿ 1198 S 1,598,000 ฿ 1098 R 2,490,000 ฿ bullet.gif Sport Classic GT 1000 698,000 ฿ GT 1000 Touring 720,000 ฿ Sport 1000 S 789,000 ฿ bullet.gif Hypermotard 1100 778,000 ฿ 1100 S 878,000 ฿ bullet.gif MultiStrada 1100 S 888,000 ฿

Ride On!

import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty

= (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (100 * 0.8)

= 80 Thai Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (100+80) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 180 * 0.5691057

= 102.439 Thai Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 102.439 * 0.1

= 102.439 Thai Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (100 + 80 + 102.439 + 10.2439)

= 292.6829 Thai Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 292.6829 *0.07

= 20.4878 Thai Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 213.171 Thai Baht

So Jay. This was all taken from the customs website. But most people know that the customs man at the port does not know or care what it says. they make the rules them selves. they tell you how much you will pay. The advice is sell it in the UK (or keep it for when you go back and see the folks) BUT do not try and bring it here. THE Thai CUSTOMS AND POLICE ARE CRIMINAL. well that's what the UN say any way :):D

Jay. We understand that when you look at the website and ask for details it looks doable. But in reality it takes a lot more money than they initially ask for.

Edited by thaicbr

Import Calculations

Motorbike

Import Duty

Excise Tax

Interior Tax

VAT

Total import tax

Whatever you get told no quote is firm until customs have it in thier hands..

Once in their hands you cannot change your mind and send it back until the duty is paid.

So they can dream any ransom number they like !!

Tho bikes are a lot easier read the various car import threads.

So Jay. This was all taken from the customs website. But most people know that the customs man at the port does not know or care what it says. they make the rules them selves. they tell you how much you will pay. The advice is sell it in the UK (or keep it for when you go back and see the folks) BUT do not try and bring it here. THE Thai CUSTOMS AND POLICE ARE CRIMINAL. well that's what the UN say any way :):D

Jay. We understand that when you look at the website and ask for details it looks doable. But in reality it takes a lot more money than they initially ask for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your 100% right bro.I know what you mean as I said I am looking into it but you are right in what you said.

Again please, in more details.

Actually there is a way of importing a bike tax free, under certain conditions. Done it many times.

Importing fully or just visiting / transit ??

----------------------------------------------------------

I made inquires for a permanent import.According to the customs web you are allowed one permanent import with a one year multiple entry vis,but duty is payable.You also need a import permit from the department of trade.

If you have any info that might be of help please let us know mate.

Um, yeah... Thanks for that useful and accurate information. :D I'm so glad you quoted yourself so that we got it twice... :) Good luck! Everyone knows that Thai Customs will decide the value of your vehicle when they see it, and I'll bet my right nut that it will be well over your parkers price guide. TiT man... :D A 2002 Ducati 998 is a nice old bike, but wouldn't a brand new 848 or 1198 be even better?

Actually there is a way of importing a bike tax free, under certain conditions. Done it many times.

Importing fully, but illegally. The one catch is that it has to come in with full container of something else. Eg. used household goods.

----------------------------------------------------------

I made inquires for a permanent import.According to the customs web you are allowed one permanent import with a one year multiple entry vis,but duty is payable.You also need a import permit from the department of trade.

If you have any info that might be of help please let us know mate.

Theres no way you get 1 tax free import with a visa..

Importing fully, but illegally. The one catch is that it has to come in with full container of something else. Eg. used household goods.

Ok but thats not imported fully.. How do you get the Thai plate ?

Its not impossible to ride in from malaysia without doing the papers.. But riding around Thailand without a legal import schedule or a Thai plate is asking to have the bike confiscated and done this way you also never have the 'invoice papers' to later reg it legally.