Non-b To Non-o

I have a non-B visa, which I got back in 2006, and I have had a work permit ever since. I left the country, but I'm in the process of changing employment. My new employer insists that - as I'm married to a Thai woman - I don't have to leave the country now either, as I can simply transfer my visa into a Non-O before my current employment ends. Then I can - according to him - apply for a new work permit.

Is this true? If so, does anyone know what kind of documents I need, and how to go about it?

I work in Bangkok, but live in Samut Prakarn. My new employment also is in Samut Prakarn. Would it be possible to do it at the Paknam immigration?

You do not change your visa, but change the reason for extension of stay to being marreid to a Thai national. When your job ends, go to immigration with a letter from your employer and all necesarry documents for an extension of stay based on marriage.

The requirements are that you live together as man and wife and have an income of 40,000 baht a month OR 400,000 baht in the bank for 2 or 3 months. In both cases it has to be your money, not the wife's.

Next to that you will need a lot of other documents, such a s a map to the house, pictures proving you are marreid and liing together, etc. best call your local immigration office to see what they will require. Your wife has to come with you for the extension, to be interviewed.

You have to go to the local immigration office for the region where you live.

Gettting a WP will not be a problem.

You don't need a new Visa but a new extension based on Marriage.

Not sure what happen to your last extension when you leave your job, but you can always apply for a one year extension based on marriage.

do a search on the forum or immigration website for the documents.

Yes you can do it in Paknam, and now it seems that you should do it.

Good luck!

Thanks, both, for the quick reply.

Pictures, map, interview with the wife... Yes, we live together, yes we're happily married, but my wife also works, for somewhat of a ^*&^* boss that most likely won't give her a half day off for this. It sounds to me that it's easier to fly to Penang and get a 3 month non-o, as I myself have a week off between jobs... Especially as they say it's very very quiet there...

An extension based on marriage is always a lot of hassle. They will also only give you an extension for 30 days, in which they check everything and might visit you at home. After 30 days you come back and everything will be aproved.

If you only need a few weeks note that with you marriage certificate you can get an extension of stay fo 60 days for 1,900 baht. So you don't have to leave the country, if you can manage to get the WP in those 60 days and start your new job.

An extension based on marriage is always a lot of hassle.

What I see posted here, I can see that! I sincerely thank all, but as I have the time, I think I'll train down to Penang and fly back. I hear it's no hassle getting a 3 months single entry there...

An extension based on marriage is always a lot of hassle.

What I see posted here, I can see that! I sincerely thank all, but as I have the time, I think I'll train down to Penang and fly back. I hear it's no hassle getting a 3 months single entry there...

Just to be sure you understood what i said. When your job ends you can go to immigration and cancel your permission to stay. at the same time you can get a 60 day extension to stay, as you are married. Only cost 1,900 baht. That will give you enough time to sort out your WP and start your new job. When you have the WP, return to immigration and ask again for an extension of stay now based on employment.

Just to be sure you understood what i said.

Thanks for that; however, I thought that would be the same hassle with paperwork. It isn't? Do you know what I need for this?

For the 60 day extension you only need the marriage certificate and your wife to come along will also be nice. No need to show money, it is a very quick process.

When you have your new WP you then can extend as usual.

The wife seems to be the problem. Yes you can obtain a new visa with marriage certificate/copy, copy of wife ID card and perhaps copy of her home register just for good measure. A note from her asking for visa to be issued is also good to have in case they suspect you are not living together. You can then extend using normal company paperwork and work permit (as you have been doing).

Just be sure the new company paperwork is in order for you to extend. It kind of sounds iffy - as you should not have to use marriage extension of stay but they seem to be telling you that you do. Also you do not need any visa to apply for a work permit, get receipt and then (with valid company paperwork) obtain a new non immigrant B visa to have the work permit issued.

Just be sure the new company paperwork is in order for you to extend. It kind of sounds iffy - as you should not have to use marriage extension of stay but they seem to be telling you that you do.

They're not telling me that I have to, they're telling me that I should, because it is easier, and doesn't involve leaving the country... They're very ready to supply my with their paperwork to go get a Non-B anywhere I want. But as I'm married - seen from the posts above, I am going to try to do it without leaving the country. :)