Assistant/driver

angmo

My bf and I are moving to Bangkok. He is deaf and does not have a driving license. I travel a lot. We need an assistant/driver to help him get around when I am away. He should obviously have a driving license. English would be good - so I can communicate with him :o and a live-in situation would be most convenient.

How difficult is it to find someone like this and what sort of salary would one expect to pay.

:D How about one that gives good massage as well? Or am I know hoping for too much?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pieter

My bf and I are moving to Bangkok. He is deaf and does not have a driving license. I travel a lot. We need an assistant/driver to help him get around when I am away. He should obviously have a driving license. English would be good - so I can communicate with him :o and a live-in situation would be most convenient.

How difficult is it to find someone like this and what sort of salary would one expect to pay.

:D How about one that gives good massage as well? Or am I know hoping for too much?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pieter

Phi Ter,

I bet you're going to want your driver to have a cellphone, so I'm not sure you really need him to live-in. Living nearby would probably do fine. Where you'll find an english-speaking and sign-language-fluent driver I couldn't begin to guess.

Sounds like you're well-off enough that you could afford to have more than one servant. If so, consider letting your driver just be a driver/mechanic and expect the live-in houseboy/cook/cleaner to give the massages.

Sort of Inside/Outside rather than Upstairs/Downstairs.

Actually, he does not need to know sign language, my bf has excellent communication skills and will teach him the basics he needs to communicate. He also writes English. Of course a cell phone is good - that is how we communicate when I am away - via SMS. So this would work well for the driver too.

Ok, so were do I start to look for either one of these people?

Thanks

Pieter

The first thing to consider is where you're going to live; then the answer to your other questions depends on that. You need to approach this thing in a bit more step-by-step manner- places over here aren't homogenized like they are in many western nations- every depends on where you are, who you are, etc., etc.

Agree that your chauffeur should be primarily a professional driver/mechanic and nothing else- you'll have enough trouble with him that way!

As for a house boy/cook/masseur... it depends how important the different job descriptions here are... simple houseworkers are easy to find (though employing them is not always easy). You could probably find a fully certified nurse willing to live with you for as little as 10-15K a month, so a "real" masseur shouldn't be a problem. If you're hinting at something *else*, then you pay normal local rates for the local professionals, and again it all depends on where you are, who you are, who they are, and how much they can get from you...

I guess I'm suggesting you find a place to settle first and worry about the rest afterwards.

"Steven"

It is worth noting that Sign Language here is quite different than onther places but it does have much more in common with ASL rather than signed Britt ....

To make life easier on him you will probably need to look in areas that have many ex-pats. Little things that can be tough for English speaking people will be even more difficult for someone deaf that can't read/write the local language. Like ordering food. Look around for places with picture menus etc (or menus in English)

Out where I live a deaf guy would have to go a fair distance to a mall or something just to manage food ... or always have a dictionary/guidebook etc.

I would think the Visa for him might be difficult too!

Hope things work out for you!

It is worth noting that Sign Language here is quite different than onther places but it does have much more in common with ASL rather than signed Britt ....

To make life easier on him you will probably need to look in areas that have many ex-pats. Little things that can be tough for English speaking people will be even more difficult for someone deaf that can't read/write the local language. Like ordering food. Look around for places with picture menus etc (or menus in English)

Out where I live a deaf guy would have to go a fair distance to a mall or something just to manage food ... or always have a dictionary/guidebook etc.

I would think the Visa for him might be difficult too!

Hope things work out for you!

This is a difficult one, i have recently hired two drivers and do it through the staff i have, usually a freind of a freind etc - neither turned up for work though - complete waste of time. maybe need to be careful on what you pay them to keep them interested - from what i can see there are no set places for drivers - what salary are you looking to pay?

This is a difficult one, i have recently hired two drivers and do it through the staff i have, usually a freind of a freind etc - neither turned up for work though - complete waste of time. maybe need to be careful on what you pay them to keep them interested - from what i can see there are no set places for drivers - what salary are you looking to pay?

Thinking of B7k - 10k

Edited by angmo

Thinking of B7k - 10k

Yes thats what i pay, doesnt seem to keep them though - after all its not a lot!! I would suggest 10k+

• 4 weeks later...

I think you summed it up when you said get settled first.

You landlord may be able to suggest a suitable person.

Since you requirements are quite special you must expect to pay more,

and I agree with the 10K plus figure.

The good English skills will be quite difficult to get, as it is not a high priority in the

Thai education system.