Scandal At Suvarnabhumi

churchill

Several recent cases of alleged extortion at the new airport are in danger of subverting the entire legal system, and scaring tourists away

Amid embarrassing allegations that police extorted money from a British couple in connection with an alleged shoplifting offence at Suvarnabhumi airport, similar cases are coming to light. Legal consultants and experts believe that if proved true, such scams could subvert the justice system and are no less important than other major corruption cases.

TARGETS: There are claims that some travellers have been the victims of extortion at Suvarnabhumi airport.

The impact of the allegations has sent ripples around the world, with media organisations in the UK and Ireland highlighting the "scams" that target foreign tourists shopping at the airport. King Power duty-free, which denies any impropriety and has posted video online which it says proves customers were shoplifting, has been identified in two cases by foreign media. Some websites, and at least one European travel advisory, are now warning tourists against the shops at the airport.

Official records show a sharp rise in criminal offences at the airport, especially those involving shoplifting, but it is not easy to get a clear picture of the number of cases involving extortion, as legal experts point out.

Sak Korsaengruang, an honorary lawyer from the Lawyers' Council of Thailand, points out that investigating extortion cases is compromised by collusion between the offenders and police officers.

continued http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigat...humi?FORM=ZZNR9postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 02/08/09

It is quite telling when when the Bangkok Post writes, ...The tourist police officer also explained that sometimes the goods involved have very little value, and added that tourists should be aware of scammers and avoid touching goods to avoid being entrapped.

That should do it for everyone who completed high school. Do NOT go into King Power Duty Free stores. Do not touch anything other than your passport, ticket and boarding pass. Do not let your hand carried luggage out of your sight until it is safely stored on the aircraft. Words to live by when flying the friendly sky's via the international airports in Thailand.

Criminal activity will increase during tough economic times so the number of victims will also increase exponentially. Most of us say that it can not happen to us however the recent upswing in extortion at Suvarnabhumi should raise red flags. If you cannot revise your travel plans at least try to be more aware of what is happening around you.

It is quite telling when when the Bangkok Post writes, ...The tourist police officer also explained that sometimes the goods involved have very little value, and added that tourists should be aware of scammers and avoid touching goods to avoid being entrapped.

That should do it for everyone who completed high school. Do NOT go into King Power Duty Free stores. Do not touch anything other than your passport, ticket and boarding pass. Do not let your hand carried luggage out of your sight until it is safely stored on the aircraft. Words to live by when flying the friendly sky's via the international airports in Thailand.

Criminal activity will increase during tough economic times so the number of victims will also increase exponentially. Most of us say that it can not happen to us however the recent upswing in extortion at Suvarnabhumi should raise red flags. If you cannot revise your travel plans at least try to be more aware of what is happening around you.

and make sure you wear clean underwear.

.....and don't think masturbation in the toilet cubical of the plane qualifies you for mile high status :)

I edited some wise words. Read them, memorize them, follow them and you will have reduced the risk you encounter significantly. Disregard at your own peril.

Do NOT go into any retail outlets including King Power Duty Free stores. Do not touch anything other than your passport, ticket and boarding pass. Do not let your hand carried luggage out of your sight until it is safely stored on the aircraft. Be aware of what is happening around you.

and make sure you wear clean underwear.

.....and don't think masturbation in the toilet cubical of the plane qualifies you for mile high status :)

:D:D:D

Maybe not :D but you might find that the sky marshalls will take you down to the baggage compartment and hold you there till you come up with ฿50,000 before they'll let you off the plane.

There are a couple of things which in my humble opinion need to be looked at:

1) who are these "security" people who step in and stop or arrest people? - are they King Power employees. In any event, I recall somewhere that its always the same "security" people.

2) how is it the same Sri Lankan embassy employee is always the guy who gets called in to handle matters? How is it its always him who turns up. I am told he is married to, or in some other similar way connected to one of the cops who always seem to be hanging around in the background when these cases come up?

3) How is it that its always the same cops the Sri Lankan interpreter is dealing with?

I don't believe its so much a King Power issue as it is a bunch of folk who work at the airport (possibly including very junior King Power employees) who have found a way of exploiting a situation - most folk facing a lengthly wait in Thailand to settle a charge of shoplifting would grab with both hands an oppurtunity to leave - knowing full well that so long as their "request" is not beyond the means of the accused, chances are they will accept the way out presented to them.

I left Thailand yesterday, and as I walked past the ( very ) long line of king power shops I eagerly looked for evidence of "security guards"/ policemen waiting to arrest another sucker. However, no such in sight. Also, the word has not got around everywhere, as they were doing good business.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy anything there, as the prices ( such as I could see without actually going into the shops ) seem high. Certainly the food prices are exorbitant- 350 bht for a bowl of thai food! I just buy snacks from the convenience shops before emmigration, and eat while waiting to board at the gates ( that reminds me; I still have a sugar donut I didn't eat yet! ).

I bought a bottle of water from King Power yesterday and expected the worst but nothing happened. I told the lady at the cashier that I wanted a receipt because I dont want to end up in a thai prison.

She laughed and said, dont worry we are good to customers...

There are a couple of things which in my humble opinion need to be looked at:

1) who are these "security" people who step in and stop or arrest people? - are they King Power employees. In any event, I recall somewhere that its always the same "security" people.

2) how is it the same Sri Lankan embassy employee is always the guy who gets called in to handle matters? How is it its always him who turns up. I am told he is married to, or in some other similar way connected to one of the cops who always seem to be hanging around in the background when these cases come up?

3) How is it that its always the same cops the Sri Lankan interpreter is dealing with?

I don't believe its so much a King Power issue as it is a bunch of folk who work at the airport (possibly including very junior King Power employees) who have found a way of exploiting a situation - most folk facing a lengthly wait in Thailand to settle a charge of shoplifting would grab with both hands an oppurtunity to leave - knowing full well that so long as their "request" is not beyond the means of the accused, chances are they will accept the way out presented to them.

Yup! Nearly agree with your last paragraph 100%. But add the police to it and will probably be 100% accurate!

I remember a few years back several long-timers stating that any Thai establishment with the word "King" in the name could be thoroughly trusted due to the very nature of them being allowed to remain. That also bizarrely went for some Silom drinkeries! Seems the monarchy reference is no longer revered.