Spider In The Garden

*Loubrockbank's bf posting*

Probably just a 'normal' spder for these parts, but we've been here a year and not really seen much. The odd snake, noisy insects, always manage to live next to an American Pitbull for some reason.

This thing was on the wall in our garden. It was the size of my hand. I didn't want to get too close to it, hence the camera was on full zoom and shakey. Can't quite match it up to any google pics. Anyone know what type it is, poisonous? etc. Just we have two naughty dogs and they would hav had it if they'd seen it.

BTW the rate at which it moved was astonishing.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8169...mp;id=558170297

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8169...mp;id=558170297

Edit/ I don't know what is going on with the pics. Hopefully one works. The uploady thing is a waste of time with this connection.

yeap, I agree. it looks like a Huntsman Spider. they are common around Thailand. I dont want to alarm you but some of them jump! :)

they scare the hel_l out of me even though I know them to be harmless.

I have to say this one is very big.

Have those show up occasionally around the house. The last one was a few days ago and about 10 cm across. Also known as a cane spider. This is one I took a picture some time ago, 12X optical zoom. :) Fast movers.

post-566-1249293966_thumb.jpg

Yup its a hunstman spider, I don't see them here too often, probably 2 total in the 10 years I've lived in this house and one was dead in my storage room :) Used to see them all the time when I was in Australia though.

I used to keep Spiders when I lived in the UK, Goliath Bird Eaters, and other Tarantulas. I owned a Thailand Black many years ago, which was very aggressive and couldn't be handled, although most can be. From the photo you took I agree it's probably a Huntsman, pretty common and not dangerous. If it were to bite there would just be a bit of pain and swelling. Don't kill them, they're pretty useful at eating other not so pleasant insects.

I had one run down my wall about a week ago, caught it and put it out in the garden. They can grow pretty big, up to 30cm diameter in extreme cases. Nice.

• 3 weeks later...