Uk Minister: We’re Not Your Father, Mother Or Auntie

george

UK Minister: We’re not your father, mother or auntie

bryant.jpg

UK Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- UK Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant made a flying visit to Thailand and Laos last week for talks on climate change and while in the kingdom delivered a blunt message to British tourists.

According to the minister, who was recently embroiled in the scandal over MPs' expenses and had a 2004 expenses claim for £58,493.26 (about $US98,000), disallowed, the British Government, “cannot be the mum and dad and auntie and uncle to every Briton on holiday”.

He said that while the Government, “will provide support to those who need it,” the 800,000 Brits who visit Thailand each year, “should always respect the customs and laws of the countries

that we visit”.

Bryant said, “that includes wearing helmets on motorbikes, but it also means avoiding drugs at all times. The Thai authorities rightly take a harsh attitude towards drugs offences, and it is depressing to see how many British people end up in very tough jails for a very long time".

While in Bangkok the minister visited British nationals at Bang Kwang Central Prison and also conveyed the British Prime Minister's support for Thailand's active stance on Burma.

During a lightning 24-hour visit to Laos Bryant signed a Memorandum of Understanding to bring into immediate

effect the UK-Laos Prisoner Transfer Agreement signed in London on May 7, described as “a key step” in enabling Samantha Orobator and John Watson, two British prisoners in jail in Laos, to transfer to the UK to serve their sentences.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where in the UK or Thailand?

Point taken. He could hardly mention Thai scams given his own expenses fraud, could he? He did not mention either, as far as I can see, the thai ambassadors current role in this affair in London. Let's await that result.

I don't think people are asking for the embassy to act like a nanny to them, what British taxpayers should at least get it a service that offers assistance when required. The embassy in Bangkok has a poor reputation the way that it seals with it's citizens, and is often appears to be very passive when it comes to raising any concerns with Thai authorities. In respect of Thailand's active stance towards Burma, have I missed something?

As it is Bryant has a soiled reputation in the UK, and would probably be right at home in a more corrupt environment where he could increase his expenses claims.

I don't think people are asking for the embassy to act like a nanny to them, what British taxpayers should at least get it a service that offers assistance when required. The embassy in Bangkok has a poor reputation the way that it seals with it's citizens, and is often appears to be very passive when it comes to raising any concerns with Thai authorities. In respect of Thailand's active stance towards Burma, have I missed something?

As it is Bryant has a soiled reputation in the UK, and would probably be right at home in a more corrupt environment where he could increase his expenses claims.

Google it.

In the last seven years, joint 1st in the dreaded Additional cost allowance ( jt 2nd in one year jt 3rd in another)

For those of you who like the colour black you can look at his censored expenses claims on line. His comments on Thailand acn hardly be taken seriously given he is unlikely to survive the next election.

Just an observation but hasn't he got that certain 'Smug ; Public School Boy; Mummys Boy ; Dodgy as <deleted> politician' Look we all love to hate or is it just my general distain of UK politicians showing thru . ........ God Help us. :D

First against the Wall :)

Just an observation but hasn't he got that certain 'Smug ; Public School Boy; Mummys Boy ; Dodgy as <deleted> politician' Look we all love to hate or is it just my general distain of UK politicians showing thru . ........ God Help us. :D

Yes ... you're spot-on ... it's one of those faces that wasn't punched enough at school.

And what's with the dodgy shirt/tie combination?

You hit the nail on the head......Cheltenham College (a Christian Public school - very expensive), Oxford uni., and then a turncoat from the Conservative Party to the Labour Party. Now one of the biggest fiddlers of expenses in Parliament. Sounds like a perfect candidate for Thailand's PM!

Smug twit who has never done a real day's work in his life!

Yes ... you're spot-on ... it's one of those faces that wasn't punched enough at school.

I was thinking 'he had a face I couldn't stop punching' but that would probably be against forum rules and label me a Violent Type; which of course I'm not :D , So I didn't say it :D

I was thinking 'he had a face I couldn't stop punching' but that would probably be against forum rules and label me a Violent Type; which of course I'm not :) , So I didn't say it :D

You might need to join the queue.

He is typical of the breed of Nuuu Labour parasites.

It's only the 3rd but we have already a winner for the '<deleted> of the Month' competition.  :D

Shame he's left already or somebody may have been tempted to slip a few bricks into his bags and give the BiB a tip-off.  :)

Yes that really WAS my first impression too.

I would find him as annoying a technocrat as most any on the planet.

I would love to see Rowen Atkinson taking the piss on the old school tie bugger.

'Let's see which corner of hel_l does this little piggy fit into?'

Edited by animatic

Fair enough, to those that are guilty and doing time, but could you at least see to it that you extend a helping hand to people who are clearly being shafted. You are in a high position in a 1st world nation; act like it and have the balls to say things other than what your hosts would want to hear! After all, you are paid to represent the people that put you there. I'm so glad I'm over here away from this toffy-nosed atitude. :)

“Since their return to the UK, Deputy Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant and embassy officials have raised the case of Mr Ingram and Ms Lin with the Thai police, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Airport Director. We have also changed our travel advice to warn other travellers of potential difficulties at the airport”

This from a UK government source.

No, they're not your father, mother or auntie. They're your pickpocket. They steal money out of your pocket and then spend it on lectures telling you how they think you ought to behave. My advice to them is to SIT ON THIS! :)

And who the hel_l cares about Samantha Orobator and John Watson, the two British prisoners in jail in Laos.

Let them rot in Laos where they committed their crimes instead of bringing them back to Britain to serve time in a British 5 star jail at the expense of the taxpayers.

Perhaps the UK Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant would care to join them in Laos where real justice is administered, to serve time for his expenses scams.

This is what amazes me, that the British government is willing to help UK criminals abroad, but considers it’s law abiding decent honest citizens as unworthy of any aid if they require assistance while in a foreign land.

Who says, crime doesn’t pay?

Edited by sassienie