Internet Wi-fi Hotspot

Iolare

I have a new place north of the Sarasin Bridge without a land line. Also, CAT wireless doesn't work there due to a weak signal. My way of getting online is a Sierra wireless aircard, but it isn't fast enough to be able to use Skype. Since I occasionally need to make international calls, I have to go to a hot spot to use Skype from my laptop. The closest place I've found so far is the bakery at Laguna. Does anyone know of a place north of the Yacht Haven up to the Klok Kloi area where I can get online with a fast enough signal to make a call?

I have had a Sierra aircard for a couple of years now. CAT told me it was not suitable for Skype because the upload speed is very very slow. About 20-40 KBs. And they are right. However I just came back from the CAT office in Phuket this afternoon and was told that the new Rev "A" USB modems cards work well with skype because the upload speed is about 300KBs and download is about 800Kbs.

I actually went there because my new laptop doesn't have a PCMCIA slot (now obsolete) only USB, and I was hoping they might have a PC card to USB adpaptor. They didn't and suggested Pantip. If anyone knows if I can get one in Phuket, please let me know.

The faster Rev "A" cards are 6,500 baht.

I drove down from PrangNga today and thought i saw an internet place on the left with a sign saying wireless internet somewhere north of the airport.

It may have been a little south of there but not much.

I imagine you would've seen this sign in your travels.

I drove down from PrangNga today and thought i saw an internet place on the left with a sign saying wireless internet somewhere north of the airport.

It may have been a little south of there but not much.

I imagine you would've seen this sign in your travels.

CAT CDMA works around airport fine incl.skype .

I have a new place north of the Sarasin Bridge without a land line. Also, CAT wireless doesn't work there due to a weak signal. My way of getting online is a Sierra wireless aircard, but it isn't fast enough to be able to use Skype. Since I occasionally need to make international calls, I have to go to a hot spot to use Skype from my laptop. The closest place I've found so far is the bakery at Laguna. Does anyone know of a place north of the Yacht Haven up to the Klok Kloi area where I can get online with a fast enough signal to make a call?

G'day Mate.

This is only a stab in the dark but the new Hi So checkpoint when you get across the bridge should have a local network that you can access.

If all else fails proceed another 40 or 50 klm south into the remote jungle of Rawai where the wi fi access is 24/7, the fish are jumping on your hook, the chickens are on the run, and there's a cold one in the fridge.

See ya again soon. :)

Thanks for the responses. Fiddlehead is right. There is a place about midway between the Phuket checkpoint and the Yacht Haven turnoff when you're gong south on the highway. I just went past it, but didn't have time to stop and check it out. It's a whole lot closer for me than Laguna. I still hope to find one on the north side of the bridge, though.