Almost Time To Quit

Hi All,

After carefully reading many of the entries on the subject of retiring, I am still foggy on details. I hold a single-entry Non-Imm B Visa, which I've had renewed for 12 years. I'm trying to figure out if, when the time comes, I'll need to convert my B to an O to then get an extension for retirement. Some threads seem to imply that when you go in to apply for a retirement extension, they'll give the extension to you with your B, and during the same visit, they'll change your B visa to an O, thereby avoiding the necessity of leaving the country or waiting months for the visa change. I thought it would be more complicated than that. Please steer me in the right direction in terms of paperwork and/or leaving the country to: A) End my employment :D Apply for retirement extension with the proper Visa. Thanks a million. :)

Just apply for extension of stay based on retirement.

Your non-b visa expired 12 years ago.

Visa is only for entering the country.

No new visa is required.

I had non-b before and extended it based on marriage. (never had any non-O)

When your employment ends, so does your extension of stay. On that day or some days before go to immigration with a letter from your employer stating that your employment ends on that date. Immigration will then cancel your permission to stay. At the same time you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. But make sure you have all the required documents. If need be you can get a 7 day extension for 1,900 baht.

When your employment ends, so does your extension of stay. On that day or some days before go to immigration with a letter from your employer stating that your employment ends on that date. Immigration will then cancel your permission to stay. At the same time you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. But make sure you have all the required documents. If need be you can get a 7 day extension for 1,900 baht.

Mario and Poorsucker Thanks for the input. I'm relieved to hear this can be done with potentially a minimum amount of hassle.

First time two months in account should work.

But might get an officer who wants to count the other reason extensions so not making this a first - don't think we have ever had any feedback on that possibility.

Edited by lopburi3