Pandemic A(H1N1) Hits Bang Kwang Central Prison

george

Earlier someone commented about prisoners having access to email. I believe the OP states the prisoner has 'written'. It doesn't say he emailed it. Most likely it was given to someone during a visit who then emailed it.

The situation with disease in prisons, especially infections diseases, is that these places are breeding grounds for some nasty things. It is in the best interest of the entire public that prisoners receive prompt medical attention and that all reasonable efforts to control infectious diseases be done.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee one news report on an anglo and all of a sudden everyone is concerned about condtions in thai prisons and

start whinning. Come on guys get a life, everyone knew what the conditions were before, that's why you don't

want to go to prison. Play with fire and sooner or later you will get burned.

Sure, other countries like UK, US of aids and hundreds more torture and kill people for fun, none of the guy's in Bang-Kwan are sitting innocent, tell me, been there done that!! so what the hel_l the heroine they wanted to smuggle could kill, the people they raped, killed, slaugthered, <deleted> them?? no you chose to get the risk to end up there, the sigh on entering the country warns you that trafficing can cost your life, why would they get help on humanity while our western governments kill in name of GOD???

You can judge a people by the way in which they treat their helpless minorities, those who have no say in what happens to them and who are unable through various circumstances to help themselves. In this case I'm referring to prisoners, refugees and the very poor. I suspect that if a major outbreak happened these aforementioned groups would be left to their own devices without treatment. This appears to be the plan as Thailand appears to be ordering enough anti viral drigs to treat only a small proportion of the population. They mention millions of doses in their press releases, it would be more informative if they report how many 'courses' of tablets they are ordering rather than just the number of tablets. These antivirals require a course of 10 doses per person.

Why would you repost a reply to a post without saying anything at all?

The original post was very pragmatic, people make choices they should accept the consequences stemming from those choices. 

The best rebuttal to this line of thought is to remind ourselves tat we all make mistakes, and thus should be allowed a little bit of leeway. Of course any reputation of the same type of error should be punished severely.

Replying to the reply, I would argue the standard we should use to judge a society is not just how they treat minorities, but how they treat everyone in there jurisdiction. 

Swine flu can't get me through my tin-foil hat!

Wake up, Einstein! The swine flu won't do you that much harm, but the vaccine will kill you for sure, a bit slowly perhaps. The 10% that the NWO wishes to save won't include very many who got the vaccination. Better research this issue more carefully. Meanwhile, believe on the Lord Jesus if you really want good medical protection.

Pandemic A(H1N1) active inside Bang Kwang Central Prison

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK: -- A British national in Thailand’s infamous Bang Kwang Central Prison has written to the charity Prisoners Abroad asking if it or the British Embassy in Bangkok has plans to pay for the flu treatment drug Tamiflu (also sold under the generic name oseltamivir), for jailed Brits in Thailand.

According to the prisoner, who requested his name not be divulged, as of July 13 two prisoners and one prison guard had died from the pandemic A(H1N1) virus, originally termed swine flu, with at least one other guard at that time “seriously ill” in hospital.

The author says he believes

An unnamed prisoner, without corroboration, is now a source of news AND an "author"?? :)

Edited by sriracha john
  • Like 1

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK: -- A British national in Thailand’s infamous Bang Kwang Central Prison has written to the charity Prisoners Abroad asking if it or the British Embassy in Bangkok has plans to pay for the flu treatment drug Tamiflu (also sold under the generic name oseltamivir), for jailed Brits in Thailand.

According to the prisoner, who requested his name not be divulged, as of July 13 two prisoners and one prison guard had died from the pandemic A(H1N1) virus, originally termed swine flu, with at least one other guard at that time “seriously ill” in hospital.

An unnamed prisoner, without corroboration, is now a source of news AND an "author"?? :)

Isn't there a way to find out if a prisoner has died and especially if a guard has died of swine flu?

Either way it's a horrible addition to the system as there are already a lot of sick people in the prisons as corroborated by innumerous accounts from people who have served time.

Swine flu is incredibly infectious and anyone at risk with a degraded immune system is gonna suffer horribly.

I think this has the potential to really blow up into a mass die off if the prison authorities are not extreemely vigilant.

With a report of three people dead already this sitiuation is most likely gonna get a lot worse. I give it about a 80% chance of turning into a catastrophe at Bang Kwang.

Now I'm starting to feel sick but not from swine flu, my problem appears to be related to a sudden onset of disgust.

By John Le Fevre

Isn't there a way to find out if a prisoner has died and especially if a guard has died of swine flu?

Either way it's a horrible addition to the system as there are already a lot of sick people in the prisons as corroborated by innumerous accounts from people who have served time.

Swine flu is incredibly infectious and anyone at risk with a degraded immune system is gonna suffer horribly.

I think this has the potential to really blow up into a mass die off if the prison authorities are not extreemely vigilant.

With a report of three people dead already this sitiuation is most likely gonna get a lot worse. I give it about a 80% chance of turning into a catastrophe at Bang Kwang.

Now I'm starting to feel sick but not from swine flu, my problem appears to be related to a sudden onset of disgust.

"With a report of three people dead"

To reiterate...

Do we have anything more to go by.... other than the "reporting" by an unnamed prisoner AKA "author" in prison?

Has anything he is alleging been corroborated by anyone who isn't ... say... incarcerated for crime? Ironic if he's in there for perjury, eh?

The only other report I've seen...and this one is actually by a news source (NNT News) other then an imprisoned felon's email... which described a solitary case (non-fatal) of swine flu at the Ayuthaya prison.

Edited by sriracha john
  • Like 1

I am with you, K1K1.. Just where do some of these respondents come from?

Since the government only has enough of the drug for 10% of the population, I think prisoners can safely assume they will be at the bottom of the priority list and it will not filter down to their level. Even if it did, prison authorities would no doubt steal it to sell outside. Maybe farang prisoners have a small chance of getting their embassies to provide them with it but that would not mean that they got it when they needed it. There again prison authorities are likely to steal anything that is in short supply and given to them to provide to foreign prisoners. They will certainly not allow prisoners to be sent pills directly from outside. Anyway timely administration of the drug would depend not only on its availability but on the timely diagnosis by prison doctors and a timely approval to administer it. Thai society approves of harsh treatment of the small time criminals without money or connections that get caught up in the prison system and the view of most would probably be just to let them be wiped out. Politicians are not interested in prision reform because they can easily avoid prison, even those who are big time criminals.

Whatever they might have done, it is sad that prisoners of any nationalily are not going to receive adequate medical treatment for H1N1 or any other ailment and with the poor nutrition and harsh conditions they are sitting ducks. Perhaps they can only take consolation from the fact that the guards are also dying from it.

What is not mentioned in the OP's article is that Burmese prisoners represent the largest foreign minority in the Thai prison population by a long margin. In places like Ratchburi Burmese represent 50% or more of the prison population. What help can they expect from their embassy?

Edited by Arkady

"With a report of three people dead"

To reiterate...

Do we have anything more to go by.... other than the "reporting" by an unnamed prisoner AKA "author" in prison?

Has anything he is alleging been corroborated by anyone who isn't ... say... incarcerated for crime? Ironic if he's in there for perjury, eh?

The only other report I've seen...and this one is actually by a news source (NNT News) other then an imprisoned felon's email... which described a solitary case (non-fatal) of swine flu at the Ayuthaya prison.

Surely the highly professional reporters at the bkk post or nation will be able to follow up and get a statement from the prison authorities as to whether anyone working or incarcerated at the prison has died from Swine flu?

Potential mass deaths in one of the worlds most notorious prisons should be enough to motivate paying someone to cover it and get the truth out either way.

Or would that be too much like real reporting and work?

the CIA should have started their virus in a mexican prison and not pig farm... would be nice if jails all over the world would be clensed from the worst of the worst (that is cought and convicted)...

Thailand ready with 10% of the population... New world order also wants to decimate the world populating by 90% ...

co-insidence ?

Another idiot with no brain why didn't you stay where you came from !

Yeah. I'm with you. Some people here on TV need to get a life! These vitriolic remarks by "morally challenged" posters, should be deleted. I always fail to see why they condemn a person to death for selling a drug to a willing buyer, then fail to see the inequality of sentence, of a man who rapes, tortures, then disfigures for life (both mentally and physically) some poor kid and gets to walk out of prison a few years later, usually to commit the crime again. It really amazes me as to why there is this huge stigma about drugs. As I said, the drugs are sold to a willing client, who, if he or she missuses them, may cause them to overdose. I fully agree that where minors - children - or mentally impaired are concerned, there should be a heavier sentence, as those persons may be more gullible or misinformed, therefor in my eyes, that is a greater abuse, but where adults are the buyer, they can have no excuse for not being informed of the dangers and pitfalls such as addiction and overdose (usually not taking care to find out the right dose if the seller is new to them) and these people are using drugs recreation-ally, have been in most cases for quite some time, still will be for as long as they don't get caught or run out of supply - so just why is the sentence so severe for this crime? People should realize that if they can't afford it, stop buying their stuff until they can afford it. I really just don't see, how this particular crime, justifies such an inordinately large/long prison sentence. If there was no demand for drugs, the whole thing would just go away - or could be dealt with by clinics set up to deal with this very thing. Problem is, as I see it, that using drugs is enjoyable and many, many people use them and have a normal life and work just like anybody else. Some to booze (like me) and others to drugs. I have tried many, but the danger - legal danger, puts me off. Only need to be caught once here and that's it. Out of the country. Not worth it. Not if like me, your life is here with your wife and family. I would really like to know why there is such a huge stigma attached to the sale of drugs, as opposed to rape, murder, terrorism and child molestation getting relatively lighter sentences? Can anyone give me a rational explanation for it???

I am with you, K1K1.. Just where do some of these respondents come from?

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK: -- A British national in Thailand's infamous Bang Kwang Central Prison has written to the charity Prisoners Abroad asking if it or the British Embassy in Bangkok has plans to pay for the flu treatment drug Tamiflu (also sold under the generic name oseltamivir), for jailed Brits in Thailand.

According to the prisoner, who requested his name not be divulged, as of July 13 two prisoners and one prison guard had died from the pandemic A(H1N1) virus, originally termed swine flu, with at least one other guard at that time "seriously ill" in hospital.

The author says he believes the Thai Department of Corrections has issued instructions that face masks are to be worn by all staff and prisoners, "though non-Thai prisoners have to pay Bt100 (about $US3) for each mask".

The author said he was "aware that all medication for foreign prisoners must be sourced and paid for by their respective embassies" and he "wondered if the British Embassy in Thailand has a contigency plan in place?".

The email goes on to say, "the conditions inside Thai prisons are very harsh and the health of a lot of the prisoners incarcerated is not good, with many also suffering with tuberculosis".

The prisoner says he suspects that prison hospitals "are not equipped to handle the influx that this epidemic could cause" and pleaded for help in securing the anti-flu drug on behalf of all British passport holders currently incarcerated in Thailand.

Over the weekend the Public Health Ministry announced that people with pandemic A(H1N1) symptoms will be able to obtain the locally produced oseltamivir free of charge at state and private clinics as of today, while disclosing the cost of manufacturing the drug was Bt25 (about $US0.73) each.

The Government has not made any public announcement whether the free treatment will be extended to foreigners who fall ill in Thailand from pandemic A(H1N1), or whether the anti-viral drug will be supplied to prisoners in its jails.

Thailand is reported to currently have enough oseltamivir to treat 10 percent of the population, with a further 60 million tablets being produced.

As of last Wednesday Thailand had recorded 65 deaths due to pandemic A(H1N1) and 8,877 infections.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-03

Thank you so much for this news, I hope everyone will agree, and this is a serious business. Do not hesitate. The outcome is dealy if anything has to wait. Please keep inform the pulic. My opionion.

<br />Any proof of what the guy is saying about the flu and mask? Or just an "email"?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It is without a doubt true.

Even stuff sent in to us by embassies wasn't given to us for free, no cigerettes in payment no goods.

I watched the Prince of Lichtenstein die slowly in our building after he was refused his diabetic medicine.

Very sad but very true, your life is worthless in a Bangkok Prison.

Than you must have been imprisoned in a private hospital in Nonthaburi, because that is where Prince Hohenlohe (not Lichtenstein) died. He was also not refused medicine for diabetes, because even neither he himself nor his family knew that he had diabetes. Only tests in the prison hospital confirmed diabetes, and he was straight away transferred to a nearby private hospital.

But let truth not spoil a good story. :)

By John Le Fevre

Oh, god, horrible...i have to agree with SRJ.

Claims like this need official confirmation or denial, interviews with prison officials, investigation etc.

As it stands it is nothing but hearsay.

<br />Any proof of what the guy is saying about the flu and mask? Or just an "email"?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Even stuff sent in to us by embassies wasn't given to us for free, no cigerettes in payment no goods.

I watched the Prince of Lichtenstein die slowly in our building after he was refused his diabetic medicine.

Than you must have been imprisoned in a private hospital in Nonthaburi, because that is where Prince Hohenlohe (not Lichtenstein) died. He was also not refused medicine for diabetes, because even neither he himself nor his family knew that he had diabetes. Only tests in the prison hospital confirmed diabetes, and he was straight away transferred to a nearby private hospital.

Truth is - he was in jail for trivial matter in country where murderers do not go to jail,if they have influential fathers.He was passe royalty!

In Europe - in media,he died in Thai jail,and there - he was known as royalty.Medical help in Thai jail?read some books,plenty of them in bookstores,some are

interesting reading.You can also see,if you did not see it yet - old TV movie "Bangkok Hilton".

And he had Lichtenstein passport.

<br /><br /><br />

Don't you realize you "tip your hand" when you inadvertently "out" yourself as a banned member, ColPyat?

btw, the actual events, which run contrary to your version, that transpired were delineated in "our" old thread on Prince Hohenlohe's death at the hands of his jailers long ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Farang-Princ...ail-t78424.html

Farang Prince Dies In Thai Jail

Edited by sriracha john
  • Like 1

By John Le Fevre

Oh, god, horrible...i have to agree with SRJ.

Fear not, ColPyat, there's much we can disagree with (see above post as an example)... :D

<br /><br /><br />

Wrong!!!!!

He was in building 1 of Bangkok Remand Prison.

This is around late July or early August 2007.

He was never taken any further than the prison clinic not even to the next door Prison Hospital.

I know because I helped carry him there.

He told us he was waiting for medicine to be brought in.

And I was still there a few days later when the Swiss Embassy came for an inspection of the building after the tragic incident.

They moved most of the prisoners out of the building that day to show the prison wasn't so overcrowded.

The truth is sad enough !!!!!!!!!

<br /><br /><br />

Wrong!!!!!

He was never taken any further than the prison clinic not even to the next door Prison Hospital.

And I was still there a few days later when the Swiss Embassy came for an inspection of the building after the tragic incident.

They moved most of the prisoners out of the building that day to show the prison wasn't so overcrowded.

And now we can compare two points of view:

-google view

-real world view

<br /><br /><br />

Wrong!!!!!

It has clearly been established that he in fact died in Nonthavej Hospital, even his mother and brother visited him there while still was in a Coma, into which he fell in the Prison Hospital. His mother visited him the day before he fell ill in Bangkok Remand prison. I very much doubt that his family were part of a conspiracy to cover up the circumstances of his death. There were initial doubts over the diagnoses of diabetes because there was no record of him ever having had diabetes.

The scandal was that he should have been released on bail, but wasn't.

-google view

-real world view

Up to the point of carrying the prince to the clinic i believe the 'real world view'. As a prisoner hardly can walk over to the prison hospital, which is in a completely different building outside the Remand Prison, and then to a private hospital outside the prison several kilometers away, the further statements are based on hearsay, rumors etc.

-google view

-real world view

Up to the point of carrying the prince to the clinic i believe the 'real world view'. As a prisoner hardly can walk over to the prison hospital, which is in a completely different building outside the Remand Prison, and then to a private hospital outside the prison several kilometers away, the further statements are based on hearsay, rumors etc.

Sure!up to the clinic - but this is the eyewitness account,not hearsay.Prince was in coma already - he looked dead.

And according to witness - he was waiting for medicines,which had not been delivered in time.

Also - read description of Swiss Embassy visit!Cover-up!They removed inmates from building to make it look empty and nice.

That tragedy was very important event.Taksin's goverment offered public apology for that.In my humble opinion

- it was the last straw,which caused his downfall short time after.

And google view can be usefull as well,I did not want to be mean.It doesnt happen often,that somebody comes with real account from another planet(Bangkok Piset).

Thanks to google,tonight - I have figured out finally one of mysteries in my own life;and now - I am scraching my head ...

<br />
And now we can compare two points of view:<br />-google view<br />-<b>real world view</b>
<br /><br /><br />Up to the point of carrying the prince to the clinic i believe the 'real world view'. As a prisoner hardly can walk over to the prison hospital, which is in a completely different building outside the Remand Prison, and then to a private hospital outside the prison several kilometers away, the further statements are based on hearsay, rumors etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We spent around 4 days taking him back and forth to the Prison Clinic.

We actually managed to get him a wheel chair for a while.

This is 100metres from building one and in the Prison area near central control.

Next door there is a huge quite well equipped Prison Hospital but until he fell completely unconscious they would only let him visit the clinic.

I cannot say what happened to him after he fell into the coma as I didn't see him again. We were informed by the clinic staff and guards that he died there.

An awful situation that ended in tragedy. I wish I could have helped more.

My statements are not based on hearsay, as I spent quite some time with him and if I can shed some light on the last few days he was with us in prison please just send me a pm.

<br />
And now we can compare two points of view:<br />-google view<br />-<b>real world view</b>
<br /><br /><br />Up to the point of carrying the prince to the clinic i believe the 'real world view'. As a prisoner hardly can walk over to the prison hospital, which is in a completely different building outside the Remand Prison, and then to a private hospital outside the prison several kilometers away, the further statements are based on hearsay, rumors etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We spent around 4 days taking him back and forth to the Prison Clinic.

We actually managed to get him a wheel chair for a while.

This is 100metres from building one and in the Prison area near central control.

Next door there is a huge quite well equipped Prison Hospital but until he fell completely unconscious they would only let him visit the clinic.

I cannot say what happened to him after he fell into the coma as I didn't see him again. We were informed by the clinic staff and guards that he died there.

An awful situation that ended in tragedy. I wish I could have helped more.

My statements are not based on hearsay, as I spent quite some time with him and if I can shed some light on the last few days he was with us in prison please just send me a pm.

That is reasonable, yes.

Nevertheless - it somehow contradicts the statements of his mother who said in interviews that when she visited him in prison the day before he got seriously sick that he was tired, depressed and exhausted, but otherwise reasonably alright. His family was also reported saying that nobody knew that he had diabetes, including himself. Diabetes can suddenly appear in predisposed people during extreme stress.

The real discussion centers around the several hours he was reported to be semi-conscious in the cell before having been brought to the clinic, and then to the prison hospital (which indeed is well equipped, clean and modern). He spent a few hours in the prison hospital, where he was tested, and his condition was found very serious. He was straight away, the same day, transferred to the Nonthavej Hospital, a few kilometers down the road, where he died after about three days in coma.

The death certificate states septicemia, multi-organ failure, and if i remember correctly it might have also mentioned diabetic shock. A second autopsy in Switzerland, i believe, only confirmed this result.

Again, the real scandal was that he was not released on bail. The offense for which he was arrested he clearly committed though.

Shit happens.

Anyhow, a funny anecdote about Thai prisons: right now one of my neighbors, a young women, not exactly bright... :), spent a few weeks in prison for two pills. She is due to be released today. She refused to be released already once, because she likes it there, and has found a girlfriend.

She said that she plans to get herself arrested again ASAP...

Wrong!!!!!

Once again, Colpyat/justanothercybertosser is shown to be wrong as he was the same "wrong" in the other thread, too.

• Like 1

Yes andf I hope they get it.

I do wonder how much good we are doing to discuss the matter though. The prisoner was very lucky to get the email out uncensored (or it was sent by proxy perhaps as it is anon) I wonder if the fact we are discussing it will lead to a tightening of access to things such as visitations, letters, phone calls, email etc for brittish prisoners.

Is it in anyones best interest for us to continue this discussion?

Will us (TV members) voicing our disaproval (or in some cases aproval of Thailands well known human rights abuses in incarceration) change the policy of Thai prisons... I dont think so.

I personally believe that we are jeaopordising that mans health by such talk.

I hope the british embassy helps as well as other related institutions.