Advice Needed, Please Help

Hi,

I married my Thai wife in the States 5 years ago. We moved to Thailand in March. I have a non-imm O marriage visa I got in New York city. We went to immigration in Bangkok today to get it extended, and they gave my wife a list of stuff they need written in Thai.

From what I understand I have to get married in Thailand, even though I have an original marriage certificate from the States (with a legal Thai translation) and a son who was naturalized in April. My wife seems to think I need to get some kind of letter or something from the US embassy saying I was single before I was married. I do not understand this because I am legally married to her in the States and she has a ten year PR residence and green card, so I am NOT single before we get married in Thailand ...

Could someone who understands these things please reply back. I am looking for any info, advice, and maybe a link to the English translation of the marriage visa requirements we got today so we get everything done right.

Thank you very much,

Phil

You must get a confirmation from the US embassy that you are married (they really like the embassy stamps).

You need to get the translation verified by Ministry of foreign affairs (MFA), (they really like that stamp also).

Then you must go to the Amphur and get your marriage registered in Thailand.

Edited by PoorSucker

To apply for a 12 month extension you will need.

Marriage Certificate. Wife's ID Card and House Registration Book (Tabbien Baan)

Either proof of 40,000Baht a month salary, a letter from your Embassy verifying this if from outside Thailand. Proof of tax payments if from inside Thailand OR proof OF 400,000 Baht in your Thai Bank Account. You need a letter from your bank and an up to date bank book with the same balance. The money has to be in the bank at least 2 months before you apply.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around your house.

A map showing the way to your house.

You Wife will have to be with you to be interviewed.

Application form.

Passport size photo.

1,900 Baht fee.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go back in 30 days and get the remainder of your extension.

You are already married so do not have to get married again. As far as I know you have to go to the Amphur and register your marriage and get the certificate translated into Thai and get it verified. Not 100% sure on this last bit but others will know.

Excellent Advice,

According to the web (bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html) I will have to do this to get my marriage license "confirmed/authenticated":

To authenticate and legalize official documents issued in the United States, please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Obtain the Document

If you do not already have the document, contact the custodian of records where the document was originally issued to obtain a copy. In some cases you may be required to obtain a new sealed copy for the purposes of authentication, even if you already possess a copy. Please check with your respective state.

Academic Records: Contact the respective academic institution directly for information on what it will need to certify the document’s authenticity. Some academic institutions require the submission of the original diploma; others issue a true copy themselves. Most academic transcripts issued to the student, for example, cannot be used for official purposes; a new sealed copy must be obtained.

Step 2: Contact the State Authentication Office

Authentication procedures vary from state to state. We strongly encourage patrons to contact their respective state’s authentication office for more information. Refer to the National Association of Secretaries of State website to locate the state specific Authentication Authorities at: http://www.usa.gov/ Home Page > A-Z Index> S> State Agencies by Topic> State Government Home Pages.

* In some cases, the Clerk of Court is required to certify that the Notary's term has not expired in the county where the Notary Public is commissioned.

Step 3: Obtain Signature and Seal from State Secretary of State (State Authentication Office)

The document must then be signed and sealed by the Secretary of State in the state where the Notary is located, certifying to the Notary’s current status. For contact information, visit the State Department’s list of State Authentication Authorities at: http://www.nass.org Homepage> Issues> Business Services> Notary Services> Choose a State to get to the state Notary Public Website.

Step 4: Obtain U.S. Department of State Authentication

Forward all documents to the U.S. Department of State at the following address:

Department of State Documents Authentication Office

518 23rd ST. N.W., SA-1, Columbia Plaza

Washington, D.C. 20520

TEL: (202) 647-5002 or 1-800-688-9889, FAX: (202) 663-3636

The Department of State Documents Authentication Office charges a fee of $7.00.

Step 5: Obtain Embassy/Consulate Authentication of Foreign Government

Once the documents have been authenticated by the U.S. Department of State, bring the documents to the foreign embassy in the United States of the country requesting the documents, where they will do the final authentication.

Contact information for the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. can be found at: http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

Step 6: Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legalization Division

Once the document is in Thailand, submit the document to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legalization Division to make the document legal for use in Thailand. Once the put their stamp and seal on the document it can now be used in Thailand officially. The phone number for the Legalization Division is (+66) 2-981-7171.

This looks REALLY painful !! Do I have to do this, or can I just bring my original marriage license down to the embassy in Bangkok ???

If I have to do this, would it be easier to get remarried in Thailand ???

Thanks,

Phil

No you do not have to do that - all you need is a letter from Embassy that has been notarized that you are married per the marriage certificate. The certificate does not have to go through the international legalization process for this purpose. The Embassy is only notarizing your signature - not authenticating the document.

Yes you must visit and get the letter - make translation/have certified by MFA (most translation services can provide that service).

You are married - to marry in Thailand you must be single and have Embassy letter to that effect.

No you do not have to do that - all you need is a letter from Embassy that has been notarized that you are married per the marriage certificate. The certificate does not have to go through the international legalization process for this purpose. The Embassy is only notarizing your signature - not authenticating the document.

Yes you must visit and get the letter - make translation/have certified by MFA (most translation services can provide that service).

You are married - to marry in Thailand you must be single and have Embassy letter to that effect.

Much thanks,

It always pays to ask first before getting in a cab to Bangkok and waiting in a line for 2 hours just to get told sorry your SOL, worthless peasant ... We will go tomorrow. I wonder how long this takes. I got 2 weeks left on my stamp and hopefully I will not have to do another visa run ...

Phil

It can be done in a day I believe; but expiated service comes with an extra charge. But don't believe it is too much extra.

Above for the paperwork - probably another day for registration at District Office (although should not take too long but may be queue).

Edited by lopburi3

It can be done in a day I believe; but expiated service comes with an extra charge. But don't believe it is too much extra.

Above for the paperwork - probably another day for registration at District Office (although should not take too long but may be queue).

Correct, one day to get US Embassy notarized affidavit; have documents translated, forms filled out, correlated, and stamped by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs; and have marriage registered by Amphur in Bangkok. Started at US Embassy by 8 AM, departed Amphur office at 5:15 PM legally married in Thailand. Translation agency did all the leg work. Don't ask what it cost!