Overcharging Again

G54

The bill arrived tonight. Maybe they though I'd had one too many but even I can count 6 bottles of mixers <deleted>!

A bill for 550 Baht.

I queried it because it was so obviously wrong.

The next bill was for 350 Baht. A big difference on the bill. In fact, one hel_l of a mark up.

Far too often it pays to check what we are paying for and what we are billed for. I wonder how many people don't even look at the items on the bill and pay regardless.

It can happen anywhere. Our local super market store here in BC has a policy where you get the item free if you catch them over charging. I caught a mistake last year and got three pairs of trousers for free.

Yes, it DOES pay to always check your bill. It doesn't hurt to make a note of everything when a big group is at a table. I can usually keep a running tab in my head of the stuff I'm eating or drinking, but it gets more confusing when there is a group.

I try to be relaxed on this subject, but I do react to the 'go for broke' overcharging.

I recently bought a battery charger for my mobile phone at Mah Boon Kong - 99Baht, works well.

Son then lost his charger (exactly the same model). I noticed exact same charger at one of the telephone shops upstairs at BC (opposite Isetan). 699Baht.

After I said it was too expensive I copped a load of nasty invenctive from the girl (stingy stupid farang etc.), and what she didn't realize was that the Thai man who was by now looking through the glass cabinet was in fact my adopted son (28 years old). He took out his phone and said he was calling the police.

Price quickly dropped to 399Baht, but my son insisted on 50Baht or he would continue to call the police. We paid 50Baht plus my son demanded and got an apology for the rudeness to his father.

I try to be relaxed on this subject, but I do react to the 'go for broke' overcharging.

I recently bought a battery charger for my mobile phone at Mah Boon Kong - 99Baht, works well.

Son then lost his charger (exactly the same model). I noticed exact same charger at one of the telephone shops upstairs at BC (opposite Isetan). 699Baht.

After I said it was too expensive I copped a load of nasty invenctive from the girl (stingy stupid farang etc.), and what she didn't realize was that the Thai man who was by now looking through the glass cabinet was in fact my adopted son (28 years old). He took out his phone and said he was calling the police.

Price quickly dropped to 399Baht, but my son insisted on 50Baht or he would continue to call the police. We paid 50Baht plus my son demanded and got an apology for the rudeness to his father.

Your son sounds more like a thai than the female assistant.

Thats quite fun having your son aboutto sort anything out but i don't understand the phoning police bit what was he going to report?

overcharging?

or her vernacular describing you in her imagination?

It can happen anywhere. Our local super market store here in BC has a policy where you get the item free if you catch them over charging. I caught a mistake last year and got three pairs of trousers for free.

Yes, it DOES pay to always check your bill. It doesn't hurt to make a note of everything when a big group is at a table. I can usually keep a running tab in my head of the stuff I'm eating or drinking, but it gets more confusing when there is a group.

And gets more confusing the more you drink :)

Nice one on getting the trousers free.

But this was about 60% over the top. Not a large amount in actual Baht, but 60% is a lot.

Silk Bar on Khao Sarn

Ordered 2 plates of rice with rest of order only recieved 1 plate!

sent bill back to get changed from 2 plates at B15 each.

Could have really been an expensive overcharge if i was not so vigilant !

(left the overcharge on top of tip normal tip just to make the point i wasn't been tight just careful)

Those mixers seriously rack your bill up along with the ice buckets need to check the bill carefully...but normally its to late and i cannot see when its bill time....

Thats quite fun having your son aboutto sort anything out but i don't understand the phoning police bit what was he going to report?

overcharging?

nothing. The fact that he was that persistent was obviously too much for her.

Actually her reaction is very normal here. She probably knows Westerners only from her job as a salesperson, assuming without long consideration that all are rich. For sure many tourists payed high prices over there without bargaining or even looking surprised... :)

Edited by Birdman

The nice thing about Thailand is that you also get undercharged at many places. Just buying fertilizer I was undercharged 300b the other month. However the nightclub industry is a different ball game, full of sharks, so it's no surprise that overcharging occurs more than undercharging. Probably same worldwide.

Regards Bojo

The nice thing about Thailand is that you also get undercharged at many places. Just buying fertilizer I was undercharged 300b the other month. However the nightclub industry is a different ball game, full of sharks, so it's no surprise that overcharging occurs more than undercharging. Probably same worldwide.

Regards Bojo

Every time I get undercharged I give back the money of the change or pay the rest. Don't want someone is unfair to me and don't want to be unfair to others. I know what things cost and am willing to pay for that or I don't buy it.

Edited by Birdman

Most of the times its not about the money, its about putting your foot down. Earlier this year I went out with two friends from back home. They didn't drink, just a bottle of coke. When they finished the drinks, the waiter brought 2 new ones without asking and opened up the bottles. Noone actually asked for 2 more cokes (at 50 THB each). I hate it when that happens.

I also do not like it when Thai people have to pay 10 THB to enter a national park and farang have to pay 100 THB. When asked why, the answer is that Thais pay taxes etc. So even if you live here as a farang, take care of the whole family, buying a house for them and also pay your and their taxes etc, you still have to pay the 100 instead of the 10 ....... again its not about the money, maybe it happens cause they know that too, lol ....

Regards Bojo

Every time I get undercharged I give back the money of the change or pay the rest. Don't want someone is unfair to me and don't want to be unfair to others. I know what things cost and am willing to pay for that or I don't buy it.

Glad to hear it, good principles. I'd like to know as a percentage of foreigners, how many actually do pay the balance every time. I suspect not many as the 'eye for an eye' mentality probably prevails, I can understand that however two wrongs don't always make a right, right?

I always do , so that's 100% so far.

Regards Bojo

Regards Bojo

I do the same myself Birdman. If I'm overcharged I point it out but also correct things if I'm undercharged too, especially if I'm given too much change by mistake, as quite often this would be taken from the staff's salary at the end of the month.

Regards Bojo

Guess its a case of swings and roundabouts....been overcharged in bars and significantly undercharged in some of shops ie bought 3 tables the one time in Index to the tune of nearly THB 10,000 and was only charged for one table... :)

Same here i dont like ripping ppl off and i dont like getting ripped off. So if i get too much back or there is something wrong i tell them.

overcharging?

In fact my son knows very well that the police would not come, and he also knows that the salesgirl hasn't actually broken any law. Should also mention that ripping-offer his dad is a pet hate of my son.

Son did have a business card from a friend who is an adminstration official in the police department, he produced the card and showed enough of the card so that the salesgirl could see the police logo. In other words BLUFF!

What also intimidated the salesgirl was that my son and I had a conversation about calling the police in Thai (he started the conversation), then we continued our conversation in full English.

Son also very deliberately took my PR book from my shirt pocket and put it on the counter and opened the first page to show my photograph then put it back in my pocket (white covered book with a huge gold garuda emblem). This also intimidated the girl. 99% of Thais have never seen this book, but I'm aware that many instantly think the holder is some sort of VIP. Works wonders with traffic police.

I would agree that most salesgirls very probably think:

- Every farang is a tourist

- Every farang is rich

- It's totally OK to rip-off visitors

But as also mentioned ripping off other Thais is also very common. And let's be honest this is true in many countries.

My adopted Thai son is very calm, typical Thai, never violent, but he has his limits. The best example of this was several years back when I was buying him a car as a graduation gift.

He wanted to first look at second hand cars. We went to a very large well known used car lot, he had already done some research on current prices of the 2 or 3 cars he was interested in.

Bottom line - the car salesman gave us a price for one car which was more expensive than new. When my son mentioned "It's more expensive than new", the saleaman reacted with "You are Thai, you should be helping me to cheat the farang". (It had already been mentioned that I was his father.)

This really set my son off, and he gave the salesman the blast of a lifetime.

Did the 'blast' achieve anything - probably not.

How about this one?

If you go to the 7-11 on Soi Diana the one just 30 yards from Soi Buckhaw, go to the fridge and see the 4-pack of tins of Chang priced at 84 baht.

Get them scanned at the till for 88 baht!

I tried arguing with the boy at the till but he chased me out the shop waving a mop.

By the way the correct price is 84 baht in every other 7-11.

If you knew the battery charger was over priced, why didn`t you just walk away and buy one elsewhere?

I`m sure some people enjoy all the hassle just prove a point.

If I see an item in a shop that I want and consider it to be overpriced, than I shop around to find a better deal.

A shop can charge anything they want for whatever they`re selling and the customer has the option to pay the asking price or go somewhere else.

Can`t see the point in making a whole song and dance about it.

Silk Bar on Khao Sarn

Ordered 2 plates of rice with rest of order only recieved 1 plate!

sent bill back to get changed from 2 plates at B15 each.

Could have really been an expensive overcharge if i was not so vigilant !

(left the overcharge on top of tip normal tip just to make the point i wasn't been tight just careful)

Those mixers seriously rack your bill up along with the ice buckets need to check the bill carefully...but normally its to late and i cannot see when its bill time....

Strangely enough, that has happened to me once or twice before :)

If you knew the battery charger was over priced, why didn`t you just walk away and buy one elsewhere?

If I see an item in a shop that I want and consider it to be overpriced, than I shop around to find a better deal.

A shop can charge anything they want for whatever they`re selling and the customer has the option to pay the asking price or go somewhere else.

Can never figure this one out either....people have a choice...buy at the stated price or dont....your choice, but dont voluntarly pay for something then start crying...scam

Because some people believe in principles. If the prices are close then fair enough, a small haggle is often expected.

If the price is more than double of that should be then it should be pointed out before walking out. If the assistant is impolite then that should be pointed out to them also.

Sometimes I laugh and just walk out, sometimes I'll point out that at double the normal cost I'm not even going to bother haggling they have lost the sale whatever price they now choose.

I remember being asked for 6000B for a wooden carving of an elephant, by the time I'd reached the door of the shop it was at 300B - I told the assistant/owner that I wouldn't even pay 100B for the carving now because they'd been unreasonable the first place. The next time someone is shopping at that place for the same item the price might be a lot more reasonable.

I imagine that at some point my time / money has be saved by others who have done the same thing.

This is why I make a point sometimes. It's sometimes simply a childish attempt to 'win', but mostly its for the benefit of the 'greater good'.....

Most of the times its not about the money, its about putting your foot down. Earlier this year I went out with two friends from back home. They didn't drink, just a bottle of coke. When they finished the drinks, the waiter brought 2 new ones without asking and opened up the bottles. Noone actually asked for 2 more cokes (at 50 THB each). I hate it when that happens.

I also do not like it when Thai people have to pay 10 THB to enter a national park and farang have to pay 100 THB. When asked why, the answer is that Thais pay taxes etc. So even if you live here as a farang, take care of the whole family, buying a house for them and also pay your and their taxes etc, you still have to pay the 100 instead of the 10 ....... again its not about the money, maybe it happens cause they know that too, lol ....

If you speak Thai and explain them friendly that you are for a long time already in Thailand and maybe present them your Thai Driver License, they will let you in for the Thai Price at most Places. Only Place I did not get around is the Grand Palace, so I go there at the Kings Birthday when it is free for everyone. :)

If you speak Thai and explain them friendly that you are for a long time already in Thailand and maybe present them your Thai Driver License, they will let you in for the Thai Price at most Places. Only Place I did not get around is the Grand Palace, so I go there at the Kings Birthday when it is free for everyone. :)

I always reply friendly (in Thai) but unfortunately doesn't get me the better price as often as I want to. Reminds me of the Thaj Mahal where an Indian person would be able to see it for about 30 rupees and a tourist for about 750 (if I remember correctly, this was about 8 years ago). Understand when I need to pay double as a tourist but 25 times more expensive????? sometimes I can't figure out these kind of numbers ...

Edited by tiptip

exactly

this is how change will slowly slowly come about.

Because some people believe in principles. If the prices are close then fair enough, a small haggle is often expected.

If the price is more than double of that should be then it should be pointed out before walking out. If the assistant is impolite then that should be pointed out to them also.

Sometimes I laugh and just walk out, sometimes I'll point out that at double the normal cost I'm not even going to bother haggling they have lost the sale whatever price they now choose.

I remember being asked for 6000B for a wooden carving of an elephant, by the time I'd reached the door of the shop it was at 300B - I told the assistant/owner that I wouldn't even pay 100B for the carving now because they'd been unreasonable the first place. The next time someone is shopping at that place for the same item the price might be a lot more reasonable.

I imagine that at some point my time / money has be saved by others who have done the same thing.

This is why I make a point sometimes. It's sometimes simply a childish attempt to 'win', but mostly its for the benefit of the 'greater good'.....

I always let sales staff know when I have been under charged. Like someone mentioned, any under charged amount may be taken out of the staff's paycheck.

Funnily enough, on most occasions when I have been given too much change and I raise the issue, usually with a comment like "Are you sure the change is right?", they become defensive. Their first reaction is to think that I am complaining about being over charged.

Have that calculator ready at all times.

I've learnt my lesson drinking in the bars years ago.A few extra bills getting shoved in there. Gits.

Like someone has mentioned,buy 2 drinks then pay.Or if in a big group,pay the bill after 1 round.

Easier said then done sometimes especially if your with a load of boys getting mashed up :)

I only ever have two drinks.....unless someone rings the bell. And both drinks are usually water! I guess they try it on with the ones that look drunk, ay. :)

LOL -- the owners must wring their hands with delight and see dollar signs swimming before their eyes when they see you coming into the bar.

Edited by Beacher

Did the salesgirl sold the charger for 50 baht because it is a fair price...or because of your son's threat.....poor girl... :)