Bus Bangkok Etkamai

regfrancis

I Use the Bus to go to Cambodia and Pattaya from Bangkok, and twice now was stopped when getting off the bus at Etkami (bangkoks bus station) this year and searched. I've never been street searched by police before anywhere. I find it a bit insulting.

The poor countries don’t afford respect to people who are doing the right thing and using public transport instead of charging around in private cars. They still think that only bums should use private transport.... it's so 70's. They should wake up and get with the times.

No one intelligent is impressed with big cars these days...quiet the opposite. Thais still think the most impressive thing they can do is speed through the busy streets in a $200K car having some one in front clearing the way for them...i guess it may impress some people, but not the smart ones

I Use the Bus to go to Cambodia and Pattaya from Bangkok, and twice now was stopped when getting off the bus at Etkami (bangkoks bus station) this year and searched. I've never been street searched by police before anywhere. I find it a bit insulting.

The poor countries don’t afford respect to people who are doing the right thing and using public transport instead of charging around in private cars. They still think that only bums should use private transport.... it's so 70's. They should wake up and get with the times.

No one intelligent is impressed with big cars these days...quiet the opposite. Thais still think the most impressive thing they can do is speed through the busy streets in a $200K car having some one in front clearing the way for them...i guess it may impress some people, but not the smart ones

You can't afford a car then? If I could afford a private jet, I wouldn't have to rely on airliners !.

I simply don't trust any bus drivers to get me anywhere safely. And, quite simply put - those who have less money are quite often more likely to commit some sort of minor crime here, I guess not so many people driving around in a Merc would be in the possession of yabba etc.

But I do agree with you on one point, the poor are treated as 2nd class citizens here.

By the way - a statistic from 5 years ago (approx) 50% of the traffic pollution in Bangkok comes from busses

(sorry I cant quote the source, this could be a made up stat. but from the fumes that these busses belch out I think it might not be far off the truth).

Many people who travel by bus are not bums at all.Some people don't like to drive cars in Thailand for various reasons,and prefer to use the public transport.In 10 years travelling in Thailand i've been searched only once,guess where?Ekkamai of course.For some reasons the Police think that Farangs coming from Pattaya,Koh Chang or Cambodia may have illegal drugs with them.Not surprising.I notice btw,that if you behave politely,Thai Police is polite too.

The poor countries don't afford respect to people who are doing the right thing and using public transport instead of charging around in private cars. They still think that only bums should use private transport.... it's so 70's. They should wake up and get with the times.

thats one of the problems using services or liviing in that area,that the thong lo police have a long been famous for searching foreigners,whether you are a backpacker or a japanese businessman,i have witnessed searches of those genre i have mentioned and been searched myself,always seems to be 2 coppers on one motorbike slowly driving around looking for foreigners. i even saw one poor sod having to remove his shoes in a family mart on rama4.

Next time drive a Rolls Royce...ha ha.. :)

The poor countries don't afford respect to people who are doing the right thing and using public transport instead of charging around in private cars. They still think that only bums should use private transport.... it's so 70's. They should wake up and get with the times.

Next time drive a Rolls Royce...ha ha.. :)

Ok thanks for your responce

Firstly...I was never unlucky... serches always ended in smiles.

Secondly....maybe buses have poor exhaust polution, but u have to divide that by 60, to get the percentage of polution from ONE ''royls royce limo''

THIRDLY if there were thinking people here, the busses would be Rolls Royce..thus lower polution..MAYBE