Disturbing The Peace: Open-air Karaoke Bar

Rice_King

It is 1:50 AM as I type this and the open-air karaoke bar is (still) in full shriek-mode. To make matters worse, the karaoke is located on the swimming pool area of a large condo complex. Right this minute, there are probably no less than 150 people trying to sleep past this racket. From my balcony, I can see the 5 people down at the pool who are ruining the peace for the rest of us. It would be bad even if they possessed one grain of talent. Trust me, these clueless wannabes don't!

What is the law? Someone has told me that open-air karaoke bars are illegal. Even if they are "legal" what is a reasonable time for the microphone to be tuned off? What can I do (within the boundaries of the law)?

It is 1:50 AM as I type this and the open-air karaoke bar is (still) in full shriek-mode.  To make matters worse, the karaoke is located on the swimming pool area of a large condo complex.  Right this minute, there are probably no less than 150 people trying to sleep past this racket.  From my balcony, I can see the 5 people down at the pool who are ruining the peace for the rest of us.  It would be bad even if they possessed one grain of talent.  Trust me, these clueless wannabes  don't!

What is the law?  Someone has told me that open-air karaoke bars are illegal.  Even if they are "legal" what is a reasonable time for the microphone to be tuned off?  What can I do (within the boundaries of the law)?

two words .... ear plugs ..

Good luck :o

1.50am!!! you want to live out in the sticks.When the villages have a concert,Film show or whatever they have the giant sound systems on from 8pm until 6am !! Try and sleep through that even 2 kms away its difficult for me,but not for Thais they can sleep through the end of the world no problem.

1.50am!!! you want to live out in the sticks.When the villages have a concert,Film show or whatever they have the giant sound systems on from 8pm until 6am !! Try and sleep through that even 2 kms away its difficult for me,but not for Thais they can sleep through the end of the world no problem.

NOISE...don`t the Thais just love it... :o

It is 1:50 AM as I type this and the open-air karaoke bar is (still) in full shriek-mode.  To make matters worse, the karaoke is located on the swimming pool area of a large condo complex.  Right this minute, there are probably no less than 150 people trying to sleep past this racket.  From my balcony, I can see the 5 people down at the pool who are ruining the peace for the rest of us.  It would be bad even if they possessed one grain of talent.  Trust me, these clueless wannabes  don't!

What is the law?  Someone has told me that open-air karaoke bars are illegal.  Even if they are "legal" what is a reasonable time for the microphone to be tuned off?  What can I do (within the boundaries of the law)?

why don't you bang on the wall with a broomhandle shouting "bleeding mouthy teenagers...no respect...trying to sleep...and other carry on phrases" are you wearing your dressing gown and slippers while you type this? is the wife stood behind you in a nightie, curlers and a hairnet?....please don't reply the mental image has me in stitches... go join in ya killjoy

• 4 years later...

call 1337 and complain

it goes on a database and is sent to the mayor

i hate the kwai with the pick ups with huge bass speakers.

i go down to where the noise is a get the rego of the offenders car bus van and call 1337 and give them the number

normally it works

dont be lazy

call them

call 1337 and complain

i go down to where the noise is a get the rego of the offenders car bus van and call 1337 and give them the number

normally it works

dont be lazy

call them

Sorry - when you say "normally it works" do you mean when you call them at 1337 they actually send someone down to stop the noise?

NOISE...don`t the Thais just love it... :)

Hear Hear (no pun intended). So many brainless <deleted>. If they reduced the noise they might have to think.

call 1337 and complain

normally it works

dont be lazy

call them

Sorry - when you say "normally it works" do you mean when you call them at 1337 they actually send someone down to stop the noise?

yes they respond in 10-20 mins

Pattaya has signs up everywhere with the complaint number 1337

so call it

i dont think they can respond to karaoke bars but they bring it up at the town hall open meetings

but the cars vans buses with the disco blarring is closed down quickly

i think if they start fines of say 10000 baht for disturbing the peace it could catch on quickly - lets see

Waste of time... recommend ear plugs or moving. :)

It's NOT a waste of time !

We had a problem at my condo a few months ago with a new Music CD seller in Pattaya Tai

who played music very loud and very late in the morning.

Someone advise us to call 1337 and in the evening 2 people call this number to complain.

About 1 hour latter some policemen come see this seller and make him put the sound at "normal" level :D

and probably make him understand that it was true for following days too.... :D

It's not just the volume but also the appalling standard of the attempts at singing. They have karaoke in the Phillipines but you'd be chased off the stage if you stood up and sang like a wounded buffalo. I sometimes jam with Thai musicians and there are a few good musicians here, though not many.

But Thais can't sing. Sometimes, just for a laugh, I ask a singer with a band to sing a scale. I even play a simple major scale to show them what I'm talking about but they just can't do it. It's not surprising that so many bars here employ Phillipino bands.

It is 1:50 AM as I type this and the open-air karaoke bar is (still) in full shriek-mode. To make matters worse, the karaoke is located on the swimming pool area of a large condo complex. Right this minute, there are probably no less than 150 people trying to sleep past this racket. From my balcony, I can see the 5 people down at the pool who are ruining the peace for the rest of us. It would be bad even if they possessed one grain of talent. Trust me, these clueless wannabes don't!

What is the law? Someone has told me that open-air karaoke bars are illegal. Even if they are "legal" what is a reasonable time for the microphone to be tuned off? What can I do (within the boundaries of the law)?

two words .... ear plugs ..

Good luck :)

Yes, I agree haha my bf did the same he used ear plugs! when he was here his hotel close to open-air karaoke bars-_-' the law...yes can open until 2 AM! but haha 2:30 AM i could hear it! <deleted> is that we couldnt sleep well so we decided to do something instead lol but still! ok i got a question...how about my neighbours did the same karaoke at his home loud speakers every night its very annoying sadly...coz his mum is a teacher but cant teach her children haha she seemed to ignore... wot to do? btw the speakers/bass very strong oh my glass windows!

Kit

Waste of time... recommend ear plugs or moving. :D

I was told by people in a bar last night.

There are houses in Pattaya /Jomtien that could never be affected by this ever.

I would suggest buying one straight away.

I would also suggest paying over the odds for it , to secure the property

Before there all gone.

Get on it quick guys, there selling like hot cakes.!!!!!!!!

You lucky lucky people. :)

Edited by Firestarter

• 5 months later...

call 1337 and press 9 for English

its not the police and all calls data is sent onto city hall

keep doing it

there will be change

one bar called toys music bar in Chaiyapruek Rd Jomtien is closed now and moved on

they used to set up speakers in the car park

not sure why they closed - maybe from the complaints regarding the woeful karaoke

but now some new nutter has started a monkey bar next door and has upped the anti to rock bands

again they cant sing or play and make a hel_l of a noise

lets see how long they last

Edited by BlackJack

Law?

The law only applies to Farangs.

LOL...you should stay upcountry. Pattaya is not the place for quiet nights!!!