Best Airline

lampard10

Which is the world's best airline  

696 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i voted for china airways i have been flying with them for over 5 years the only carrier at one time to fly from my airport via amsterdam to bangkok. the flights are cheap & if you are a member of the dynasty flying club you get upgrades with your mileage. the sevice is very good with good food. the new 747s they use now are very good with all seats having there personal tv with remote. :D i also have been with thai airways and they are very good as well but too expensive. :D i fly out next year with klm as it was very very cheap online :o dont know what to expect?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on SG from Perth in almost exactly one week from now. Then Silk Air to Phuket. Can't wait. Been a few years since I've been with Singapore but I consider them the best.

I wont fly Q(u)antas international, mainly because of the harpy waitresses, but unfortunately have a sh1tload of their frequent flyer points (earned domestically). I say unfortunately, because the airline is so sh1tty they make it very hard to use your points. You usually have to book years in advance, and they just don't make seats available on most flights even if they're far from full. :o

Fly EVA, Japan, Thai and Cathay to USA. Fly Japan, Singapore, Thai and Cathay in Asia. Fly Luthansa, Thai, KLM, Cathay and Air France to Europe. If possible Kenya Air and South Africa in Africa and Virgin in Australia. Others Nok Air, Tiger, Value and Vietnam. They all have their ups and downs. :o

Stay away from American carriers :D

FYI

WORLD'S BEST Airlines: International

Ten years is a long time to be at the top of your field, so in 2005 special kudos go to three companies that have been named No. 1 in their category every year since we began our survey—Crystal Cruises, Singapore Airlines, and Hertz. Another significant first: this year, not one of the six largest carriers ranks among the top 10 domestic airlines.

Top 10 International Airlines

Rank Last Year Name 2005

Score

1 1 Singapore Airlines 88.43

2 3 Emirates 81.06

3 2 Cathay Pacific Airways 78.64

4 4 Thai Airways International 77.83

5 6 Malaysia Airlines 76.51

6 5 Virgin Atlantic Airways 74.23

7 10 Qantas Airways 74.12

8 7 Japan Airlines 73.20

9 9 Air New Zealand 73.07

10 n/a SilkAir 72.55

Category winner five times or more

* "N/A" means that the property was not among the top-ranked in this category last year.

Another list.

World's Best 10 Airlines Named

The No. 1 airline in all the world is Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong-based carrier that most Americans will only board if they are traveling to Asia. So says the British consulting firm Skytrax, which polled 12 million airline passengers from 94 countries to come up with the latest edition of the Skytrax Airline of the Year award list.

The frequent flyers were polled on an extensive list of detailed criteria that reflected airline service on the ground and in the air, from booking the ticket to arrival at the final destination, in a survey that took 11 months to complete. No U.S.-based carrier made the top 10 list.

Top 10 best overall airlines:

Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong

Qantas Airways, Australia

Emirates, Dubai

Singapore Airlines, Singapore

British Airways, United Kingdom

Malaysia Airlines, Malaysia

Thai Airways, Thailand

Qatar Airways, Qatar

Asiana Airlines, South Korea

ANA All Nippon Airways, Japan

• 3 weeks later...
i voted for china airways i have been flying with them for over 5 years the only carrier at one time to fly from my airport via amsterdam to bangkok. the flights are cheap & if you are a member of the dynasty flying club you get upgrades with your mileage. the sevice is very good with good food. the new 747s they use now are very good with all seats having there personal tv with remote. :D  i also have been with thai airways and they are very good as well but too expensive.  :D i fly out next year with klm as it was very very cheap online  :o dont know what to expect?

Ditto on China air

Are they flying all new 747s to Ams. from B/kok now and are the seats and leg room improved at all in the economy section please ?

Good luck with Klm if it,s cheap then o.k.

I don,t know why but i find the Klm staff are a little bit unhappy especially at the customer service desks at the airport.

I think they are under lots of pressure there which doesn,t help of course so i make allowances.

When your flying long haul it just makes the journey more tedious and doesn,t help anyone.

marshbags :D:D:D

I just flew on Emirates from Bangkok to Johannesburg and I have to vote for them :o

The plane was one of their new flag-ship 777's, very nice inside (even in economy). Staff was friendly and good looking :D And the food was some of the best airline food I've had.

Fly EVA, Japan, Thai and Cathay to USA. Fly Japan, Singapore, Thai and  Cathay in Asia. Fly Luthansa, Thai, KLM, Cathay and Air France to Europe. If possible Kenya Air and South Africa in Africa and Virgin in Australia.  Others Nok Air, Tiger, Value and Vietnam. They all have their ups and downs. :o

Hi IL76

Your knowledge of aviation seems quite extensive if you don't mind me asking why the Ilyushin nom de plume?

As a matter of interest is the picture of a TD version?

TBWG

Singapore (SG) & Cathay Pacific (CX) are always in the top three of airline surveys. They both compete head to head and manage to be trendsetters in the industry. It surprised me a great deal when Lufthansa became the first to have in-flight internet. Nevertheless, SG & CX are the envy of the industry and all international airlines look to them to set the bar.

I have worked in the industry myself for 10 years now so I ought to know. :o

Does anybody do a worst airline award? I'd like to nominate Lufthansa...

Being from America I have so many choices, but for international I'd like to nominate Northworst Airlines. I've never seen a saltier, more unfriendly cabin crew combined with worse general service and horrible seating. Just a <deleted> airline all around.

I voted Thai, it's the most convenient flight from Copenhagen - Bangkok non stop and easy connection to Phuket, luggage checked straight through.

Good in flight service.

Are you of Thai nationality, by any chance? If it weren't for the irrational loyality of Thais to their national carrier, I have no doubt that TG would have gone the way of Braniff and Pan American by now. What a laughably managed, utterly inept company. But, since they refuse to employ anyone other than ethnic Thais, what other result can you expect?

I voted Thai, it's the most convenient flight from Copenhagen - Bangkok non stop and easy connection to Phuket, luggage checked straight through.

Good in flight service.

Are you of Thai nationality, by any chance? If it weren't for the irrational loyality of Thais to their national carrier, I have no doubt that TG would have gone the way of Braniff and Pan American by now. What a laughably managed, utterly inept company. But, since they refuse to employ anyone other than ethnic Thais, what other result can you expect?

Ooooooooooooooo.........harsh!!!!! :o

Being from America I have so many choices, but for international I'd like to nominate Northworst Airlines. I've never seen a saltier, more unfriendly cabin crew combined with worse general service and horrible seating. Just a <deleted> airline all around.

Try British Airways - they might have NWA beat!!! :o

Try British Airways - they might have NWA beat!!! :o

I doubt it....I refuse to fly with BA ever again after numerous problems.

The last time I flew with them they not only managed to lose my luggage but they took the wrong section of flight tickets at check in at London and I ended up being delayed in Denpasar for three hours while it was being sorted out.

My vote has gone to Singapore Airlines, where the staff work so hard at looking after the passengers.....it`s a pleasure to fly with them. :D

I must confess that I never give any thought to what airline I use. It's 100% down to price and conveniance.

For me an aeroplane is no more than a flying bus and is about as interesting to sit on - it's a neccessary chore. I do only fly monkey class as I would no more think about spending hundreds of pounds extra for a better class of cheese sandwich and a prettier waitress on an aeroplane than I would on a Bus. The only place in the world that 1st class treatment with an airline is regard as "good" is on an aeroplane - I have no idea why it is considered some form of "luxury".

From my experiances, one airline is much like another, punctuality is fairly good overall and any delays seem to be pretty much random rather than "Just" because of who the airline is.

Having said all that Phuket Air did scare the c#ap outta me last year! (especially the flight back - the one before the "fun" hit the papers!)

Fly EVA, Japan, Thai and Cathay to USA. Fly Japan, Singapore, Thai and  Cathay in Asia. Fly Luthansa, Thai, KLM, Cathay and Air France to Europe. If possible Kenya Air and South Africa in Africa and Virgin in Australia.  Others Nok Air, Tiger, Value and Vietnam. They all have their ups and downs. :o

Hi IL76

Your knowledge of aviation seems quite extensive if you don't mind me asking why the Ilyushin nom de plume?

As a matter of interest is the picture of a TD version?

TBWG

TBWG my call sign " Ilyushin" comes from some buddies ( Laos and Cambodia) who told folks I would fly any aircraft including the Ilyushins. :D

Yes , I have a considerable knowledge about aircraft and aviation. :D Thanks for comments.

The Avatar is an Ilyushin 76TD. :D It is a beauty.

"Happy Flying!"

Ilyushin Don Muang Zone ( DMZ)

World's Worst Airlines

1/ RJ Royal Jordanian

2/ BG Biman Bangladesh

3/ VE Avensa (Venezuela)

4/ CU Nationwide Airlines (South Africa)

5/ KU Kuwait Airways (Kuwait)

6/ D2 Damania Airways ( Uganda)

7/ IB Iberia (Spain)

8/ CY Cyprus Airways

9/ RA Royal Nepal Airlines

10/ QU East African Airlines (Uganda)

Source:Airliners

:o

Good in flight service.

No, I'm a Danish national if that makes any difference, Thai is the best and most convenient flight non stop Copenhagen Bangkok with a good connection to Phuket.

I like the service on Thai, so that's my choice.

• 1 month later...

According to Skytrax for 2005.....

AIRLINE OF THE YEAR 2005

1.Cathay Pacific

2.Qantas Airways

3.Emirates

4.Singapore Airlines

5.British Airways

6.Malaysia Airlines

7.Thai Airways

Conde Nast T.A.for 2005 are slightly diff...

1. Singapore Airlines 86.67%

2 British Airways 85.01%

3 Virgin Atlantic 84.78%

4 Emirates 84.08%

5 Cathay Pacific 83.91%

6 Malaysia Airlines 82.89%

7 Thai Airways 82.07%

8 Qantas 81.86%

9 Air New Zealand 81.24%

10 South African Airways 80.66%

Horses for planes...... :o

Am I being too picky? My wife and I normally fly out to BKK three/four times a year, and have flown on many different carriers, despite the fact that it means losing out on the convenience stakes, flying from an airport less than thirty minutes away, cannot envisage flying KLM again!

Copy of e-mail I recently sent to LKM:

I flew from BKK to AMS on 25-04-2005 and again on

09-05-2005, on both occassions was very disapointed to find that the

'breakfast' dish served up, appeared to be a left over from the evening meal

from either first or business class, consisting of what appeared to be egg

custard and cooked fruit. Without a doubt this was the worst standard of

food that I have ever experienced in forty years of flying, to experience it

once was bad enough, but twice was terrible.

Also, having booked in on the internet for my flight on 09-05-2005,

from the time that I put my own and my wife's (under weight) bags on the

scales to the time that we were given our boarding passes was over fifteen

minutes. People that were queuing for normal check in were processed quicker

than I was.

This is far from the service that I have grown to expect from KLM.

And their reply.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointing meal on-board our flight, I have

taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your e-mail to our Catering

Department for consideration.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to convey your views for these

have been duly noted and I do hope that KLM Royal Dutch Airlines may welcome

you on board in more favourable circumstances

----------------------------

Hi Boozer

I would like to nominate KLM for having the most elderly, matronly stewardess's award.

Whilst on about KLM, I sat and watched them at AMS giving away shed loads of Euros to passengers who were prepared to be bumped on the BKK flight until the next day.

Whilst KLM employees complete with families were accomodated, presumably with free or next to nothing tickets. One of said offspring even using the crew jumpseat. What a way to run a business let alone an airline.

TBWG :o

I like to fly either Emirates or Etihad back to the UK. I find that having a stop half way helps the feeling of time going quicker. Service is excellent.

Had a very poor flight with Phuket air and Thai. Mai dee loey!

Surprised more people have not mentioned Etihad, have had several BKK-AUH-LGW trips with them all exceptional. Seat pitch seems more generous than competition plus nice new aircraft and competitive price.

TBWG :o:D:D

Without banging their drum toooo much I got to admit to having some good flights in that old boring chessnut..British Airways :D ...WOT..... NOT B.A........

Used to get the old end of contract "Plumbers Special" back from Ah sa-lamma land/Out of saudi in the 70s which was of course B.As Concorde (following the mandatory last night Pzz Up in Bahrain)

Champers was always chilled,whisky-single malt and the steaks...done to a T. :D

Last time I went with them was in Business Class to Bangers(o.. maybe 15 years ago) and it was ....err.....EXCELLENT...my hangover on arrival at D.M confirmed that it must have been good. :o

Thai suits me at the moment cause its direct, I gotta Gold card and like their lounges...roll on Suwan-P but still have a soft spot for China Air...30-40 flights (via the Dam)but cant take it anymore....(the pub crawl in Schi).......

so...

Anyone remember...British Eagle,British United,Dan Airways (dan-dare Air)and good old British Caledonian Airways........moto .."we never forget you have a choice".... Chieftian Club .. :D

Without banging their drum toooo much I got to admit to having some good flights in that old boring chessnut..British Airways :D ...WOT..... NOT B.A........

Used to get the old end of contract "Plumbers Special" back from Ah sa-lamma land/Out of saudi in the 70s which was of course B.As Concorde (following the mandatory last night Pzz Up in Bahrain)

Champers was always chilled,whisky-single malt and the steaks...done to a T. :D

Last time I went with them was in Business Class to Bangers(o.. maybe 15 years ago) and it was ....err.....EXCELLENT...my hangover on arrival at D.M confirmed that it must have been good. :D

Thai suits me at the moment cause its direct, I gotta Gold card and like their lounges...roll on Suwan-P but still have a soft spot for China Air...30-40 flights (via the Dam)but cant take it anymore....(the pub crawl in Schi).......

so...

Anyone remember...British Eagle,British United,Dan Airways (dan-dare Air)and good old British Caledonian Airways........moto .."we never forget you have a choice".... Chieftian Club .. :D

Hi Rinrada

I also had a very good flight with British Airways. Fortunately due to code sharing it was perfomed by Qantas.

Only downside they seem to have rather more stewards than stewardess's.

TBWG :o