Best Airline

lampard10

Which is the world's best airline  

696 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Somebody said SQ flight attendants get booted out when they reach 28 yrs of life.

A friend who used to date one of them told me - in the contract it says when they are 30 the contract is for re-negotiation. Meaning, if they were good, some may become crew's cheif on staff on a flight.

yep, it's true.

Never get away with this in the western world.God Bless Asia. :o

That works both ways.

The European and US airlines would never get away with the service on their local routes,

if they were based in Asia.

I voted for "other" as I was very impressed with the new image of South African.

There is no First and Business class, it has been replaced by Premier class on the long

haul routes. I flew Hongkong to Johannesburg, 13-14 hours.

It was excellent. Flat reclining seats and good service to match.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long haul I use Eva. Lots of benefits and convenience between Thailand and the US.(@good price)

The flight from bkk to tpe are often on brand a new B-777. The B-747/400 are getting long in the tooth but the eva-deluxe is very comfy for that awful tpe-lax flight. Eva flight attendant are works of art.

Malaysia airlines is a nice choice for going to KL. Nice service and equipment.

I went with BA for the Easter trip from LHR to BKK this year and felt that the service is going downhill. Unfortunately I can only afford economy and the 31 inch BA seat pitch does not now match the competition (e.g. EVA 33"). BA seems to use a majority of male rather than female flight attendants on many flights. I wouldn't have minded too much but a large Irish man seemed to take great delight in striding up and down the aisle at great speed, stamping on any unfortunate person rash enough to stick a foot out. I arrived with a large bruise on one foot after he drove the trolley into me with some force, and he compounded the offence by stepping on the same foot a little while afterwards. The food was unexceptional and the range of drinks not that wide. In BA economy class, the 'economy' aspects are all too visible nowadays: it is the high-altitude equivalent of 'pile it high, sell it cheap' (except that it is not that cheap).

I know the poll is a general one, rather than being specifically about flights to LOS, but concentrating on the LHR-BKK route and the direct flights, my order would be (1) EVA (2) Thai (3) Quantas (4) BA (the last two are about the same and not very good). EVA now has very modern aicraft and nice flight attendants, but is a little mean with the drinks. Thai is generally good but, in my opinion, can be over-bureaucratic when it comes to registerig airmiles, is prone to fuel surcharges and have some discriminatory pricing policies that irritate me. The other possiblity for me is KLM via my regional airport and Amsterdam. However, I have been rather put off by the old planes, poor baggage tracking and 31" seat pitch. Overall, EVA (the cheapest) also gets my vote for the best on this route.

I have used about thirty different carriers, in the last twenty years and the standards of particular airlines is always changing. Economy class is always stressful, whatever airline you use, unless you pass out for the long haul or have an empty plane (rare these days).

I often judge a flight a 'nightmare' if the following things happen;

1/ The hostess/hosts are rude and unfriendly, sarcastic and don't attend to me.

2/ The overhead baggage is packed so I don't have room for my possessions.

3/ The food and drink is slow, or my requests for drinks takes forever.

4/ Broken seats, faulty headset etc.

5/ The person in front/behind/next to me is offensive or clinically obese.

6/ Baby children crying for twelve hours non-stop.

As you can see, some of the above can happen on any airline.

However, now I prefer to travel in economy Emirates if I am paying for the ticket.

The best two airlines however are JAL and ANA. Both are Japanese airlines, I am always delighted with the attentive crew. I just wish they flew BKK-Europe.

Just for good measure, if you travel business class: GULF. Outstanding.

I have used about thirty different carriers, in the last twenty years and the standards of particular airlines is always changing. Economy class is always stressful, whatever airline you use, unless you pass out for the long haul or have an empty plane (rare these days).

I often judge a flight a 'nightmare' if the following things happen;

1/ The hostess/hosts are rude and unfriendly, sarcastic and don't attend to me.

2/ The overhead baggage is packed so I don't have room for my possessions.

3/ The food and drink is slow, or my requests for drinks takes forever.

4/ Broken seats, faulty headset etc.

5/ The person in front/behind/next to me is offensive or clinically obese.

6/ Baby children crying for twelve hours non-stop.

As you can see, some of the above can happen on any airline.

However, now I prefer to travel in economy Emirates if I am paying for the ticket.

The best two airlines however are JAL and ANA. Both are Japanese airlines, I am always delighted with the attentive crew. I just wish they flew BKK-Europe.

Just for good measure, if you travel business class: GULF. Outstanding.

Got to agree about Gulf business class (but then I was also upgraded to first class for the Gulf-Asia/Asia-Gulf legs - and that is obscenely good :o ). Also impressed with their agents; even though I had a discounted Business Class ticket (therefore effectively the same as a restricted economy deal), I was able to switch not just the date of my return to London but also the departure airport (BKK instead of Manila) without penalty......... "happy to be of service, sir" :D .

BA would have to pay me to travel with them (and I'm a Brit) given that Item 1 in Libya's list seems to be part of their Economy training....... :D

:D .

BA would have to pay me to travel with them (and I'm a Brit) given that Item 1 in Libya's list seems to be part of their Economy training....... :D

...............Willy Walsh the new boss of BA has just reported their annual profits today of.....£700M..or in $US 1.32 Billion :D ...give or take the odd s"tang..

Recons its all down to the rip off fuel surcharges..... :o

To add to Libya's list, I think safety record should be looked at as well. EVA are currently the Worlds safest airline, although they have only been operating 16 years.

Although if #3 is up to scratch, you shouldn't have to worry about the others (including mine)

• 2 months later...

Best Flight. Air France Tokyo-Paris, near empty plane, everything I wanted.

2nd best- Manila to Boracay--4 seater Cesna--great even got to have a go !!!!!

Worst. Tokyo to Manila now defunct Phil Airways,seats broken ect.

Point.I travel with emirated now they DONT charge you for sport/golf gear unlike DHL and THAI. The stewardese and stewards are all from different countries per flight and helpful.

just a note ,even RAYAN Air the CHEAP!fight carrier in europe now are charging you 7Euros per item for check in goods........

I want to nominate the Great Aeroflot as being one of the best.Yes, they shout at you a bit. Yes, we had to make an emergency landing in Berlin once. Yes, there are fights and drunk pilots [take my word for it] but at least something exciting is always happening unlike other airlines who bore the crap out of you.And at least you get your bags back.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say that Mapati of Indonesia is certainly a front runner.

They are such a joy to fly. Once on a flight on a 17 seater we had 3 goes at trying to get off the ground, aftyer 2 we all starting to panic. Not I, I knew that our good pilots of mapati would come through and get us up in the air. The service isnt the greatest though, they only ever serve you half a glass of anything. I think it is because evryone is shaking too much!

Top 3 Singapore, Emirates and Cathy all consistantly the top 3 of mine and also by world rankings.

In The Rai!

• 2 weeks later...
I want to nominate the Great Aeroflot as being one of the best.Yes, they shout at you a bit. Yes, we had to make an emergency landing in Berlin once. Yes, there are fights and drunk pilots [take my word for it] but at least something exciting is always happening unlike other airlines who bore the crap out of you.And at least you get your bags back.

Still never flown with them but ...one day....flying should be fun.

Vietnamese Airlines used to operate a bit like the old Aero-Flack.. sort of code share thingy but they changed their image and bought some NEW airbuses about 10 years ago so its not the same anymore...

Used to be fun trying to help the stewardesses secure the cabin doors before take off and with the gaps between them (doors /frame) you never needed to worry about fresh air. (Bangkok-Phnom Penh - HCM) :o

One occasion they said sorry but "we no have any orange juice...or-lange use"..."please can we serve you some wine."....Champers .... :D

Dont fly Economy so can't comment on that one but for me the worst Business class is Emirates, up there with the best is Kenya Air.Emirates do make up for it with their new First Class which is nothing short of spectacular.BA first class also good as is Singapore.So basically Emirates have the worst business class going but the best first class. :o EPG

What problems have you had with Emirates business class?

I have always found them very good. Attentive F.A.'s and good food, limitless wine and spirits, comfortable seats, superb I.F.E. (ICE) and a few freebies: toiletries bag and playing cards.

Some of the oriental Emirates F.A.'s are easy on the eye, and the toilets are spacious with loads of accessories like razors/towells and after shave lotion and toothbrush/toothpaste.

I cannot comment on 1st class Emirates: but surely Business class is good enough?

I have to disagree with the other poster on Emirates, but not for the reason you might think.

In my own experience, Emirates first class is awful, except only for the especially configured aircraft they use back and forth to New York. Two by two seating in old, dirty aircraft with lousy food and no sleep suits like you get out of Bangkok and into Europe from them doesn't qualify as first class anymore. If you're going to pay the price, get the real product. CX, SQ, BA all provide it. Emirates doesn't.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

I have only flown long-haul with three airlines:-

BA - in Club World, cramped seating plan (lower deck, by the way). Didn't help either with three screaming toddlers next to me. Tasteless food (even when I chose spicy meals). The only plus is the fully flat bed although hard rock.

LH - their new business class was nice. More impressed with the MUC-HKG than the HKG-MUC however. Meals were fine. Love their SEN lounge in MUC. Services were ok, definitely better than BA.

CX - superb seat although not fully flat. Very nice FAs. Very quiet and private on the upper cabin even a busy time like Christmas. Also provides a very good and up-to-date IFE.

I would choose CX whenever possible and reasonable, even if it means no direct flight. Another reason is that their First Class Lounge in HKG is the best I have been to.

• 4 weeks later...
:o JAL = Japan Air Lines. Number 1 as far as I'm concerned. The Flight Attendents are attentive and helpful. Also, these Japanese Girls are cute too! JAL for me. :D

JAL are excellent, I agree, also ANA: The seats are rather small on some trips though. But the attentive personnel make up for it by serving large, quality whisky measures from the bottle, not mean 5cl minatures. Last trip with JAL they served 'Old Parr': that is a great whiskey!

I think the term 'best airlines' should refer to different areas including being an economical one. Singapore and Thai Alns have always been the most expensive in my list of travel fairs. Emirates have always offered cheaper tickets in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the term 'best airlines' should refer to different areas including being an economical one. Singapore and Thai Alns have always been the most expensive in my list of travel fairs. Emirates have always offered cheaper tickets in my case.

If you book on singaporeair website the fares are some of the cheapest around, plus lots of planes to evrywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
I have 3 prerequisites

1. Don't crash

2. The ultra-cheapest ticket

3. No footprints on the toilet seat

That's it

1. Don't crash

Well nobody knows which plane will crash next, some airlines have poor safety records, some airlines have an old fleet, and human error is often a cause. Plus your No.2 might hamper No.1.

2. The ultra-cheapest ticket

That will be an economy class ticket, but would you really choose an airline that takes twice as long due to en-route stops? An airline that is dirty and provides revolting food and service, where people make toilet on the floors? I shall not name the airlines guilty of this kind of service but they are infamous.

3. No footprints on the toilet seat

Sadly, it is impossible to escape from this, even in business class. It is a cultural thing, and I understand that squatting, rather than sitting produces a 30% increase in evacuated solid matter, which from a health point of view is advantageous.

I will stick with Emirates.

Air Vietnam..

Saudi-air..........

Air Nu Guinea..

Kuwait Air.......

Iraqi Air...........

Pakistani Air.......

BINman................

Royal Air Maroc........

Air Algerie..............

Egypt Air.......................

Sierra Leone Airways............

Royal Air Cambodge...............

Nigerian Airways...........................

Ghana Airways................................

Air Zimbabwe.............................................

Zambia Airways................................................

at the time they all seemed like a good idea................. :o

Air Vietnam..

Saudi-air..........

Air Nu Guinea..

Kuwait Air.......

Iraqi Air...........

Pakistani Air.......

BINman................

Royal Air Maroc........

at the time they all seemed like a good idea................. :D

:o:D

Air Vietnam..

Saudi-air..........

Air Nu Guinea..

Kuwait Air.......

Iraqi Air...........

Pakistani Air.......

BINman................

Royal Air Maroc........

at the time they all seemed like a good idea................. :D

:o:D

Rinrada a very good selection:

Air Niugini - internal and international always providing suprises(pleasant & Unpleasant).

Vietnam Airlines - international these days excellent planes and hostesses = good flying.

One from the past you may have forgotten = PAL :D:D

Edited by mijan24