Uk Tourist Visa(?) For Thai Wife, For Short Trip Next Year

Hi,

My Thai GF and i will be married on 09/09/09, and next year on 10/10/10, we will be having a thai ceremony to celebrate the marriage.

My parents in the UK wish to fly us to the UK for a reception there.

Given that we would be married already, what would the best visa option be for my wife? Would that complicate matters, or make it easier? We do not require a spousal visa for the purpose of marriage in England, as we are just going for her to meet my family, and have a reception there. We would then be returning here to THailand.

Info about us:-

We'll have been together for over a year with all photo's, emails etc to prove it.

I will be 31

Wife will be 29 (at date of intended travel)

We will have got our marriage recognised at the British embassy after the registration this year.

We would be going back for no more than 2 weeks, and could provide travel itinerary

My parents could sponsor her I guess, so could I (What would this entail)

She has never been a bargirl

She is University educated (BA honours)

She is fluent English speaking

She will have been in her current employment for over a year (Job at Payap university in CHiang Mai - secretary)

I think she should be able to get a letter from her boss too, as reason to return.

We also have pets here (3 dogs, 4 cats) - Dont think it would count for reason to return, but it may do, so I've said it here.

What is the process, and what are the costs? Is it hard, or easy? Can be done in Chiang Mai, or Bangkok only?

Any help appreciated.

Phil & Nokk

Hi,

My Thai GF and i will be married on 09/09/09, and next year on 10/10/10, we will be having a thai ceremony to celebrate the marriage.

Given that we would be married already, what would the best visa option be for my wife? Would that complicate matters, or make it easier? We do not require a spousal visa for the purpose of marriage in England, as we are just going for her to meet my family, and have a reception there. We would then be returning here to THailand.

We'll have been together for over a year with all photo's, emails etc to prove it.

I will be 31

We will have got our marriage recognised at the British embassy after the registration this year.

We would be going back for no more than 2 weeks, and could provide travel itinerary

She will have been in her current employment for over a year (Job at Payap university in CHiang Mai - secretary)

I think she should be able to get a letter from her boss too, as reason to return.

We also have pets here (3 dogs, 4 cats) - Dont think it would count for reason to return, but it may do, so I've said it here.

What is the process, and what are the costs? Is it hard, or easy? Can be done in Chiang Mai, or Bangkok only?

Any help appreciated.

Phil & Nokk

You must get married at the Amphur legally guidance is on the Embassy website.

And a family visit visa is required reason to return should not be an issue as you are present and settled in Thailand.

Thats great. As a UK national, I had no idea what type of visa she would apply under.

It all looks pretty straightforward.

Just one more question. What is the validity of the visa? I ask because, if possible, we would like to apply upto a year in advance of the travel time. This is to allow my parents time to plan our celebrations in england (Of our marriage). Im not sure 3 or 4 months would be enough notice to give all relatives time to arrange coming to our reception.

Thanks

Phil

From what you have written, I think you will have no problems with getting a visa. I think it is best to apply just for a 6 month tourist visa the first time, I cannot remember the costs to be honest.

I don't think you need to worry, many people applying for visa's are in a much worse situation than you and your intended.

I will be 31

First of all congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, I wish you all the best.

If you are getting married in Thailand, as TVE rightly points out, it needs to be registered at your local Amphur, it is they who provide the marriage certificates, one each, that's when you are legally married and it is recognised in the UK. There is absolutly no need to waste money on registering your marriage with the British Embassy, all they do is forward the details to the UK, there is no legal requirement to do so and it will have no effect on your wife's visa application. You will of course need to obtain a doccument from the British Embassy to confirm to the Thai authorities that you are free to marry

TVE is also correct in saying that she will need a family visit visa, the details on how it can be obtained is on the VFS website http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/ have read through this and it will give you everything you need to know, pretty sure that she cannot apply 12 months ahead of the intended date of travel though.

I think you have covered everything for her reasons to return, proof of employment is good though you are right the ECO will not take into account your cats and dogs any more than they do kids. If you intend to stay in Thailand then also give your commitment to do so, are you working? if so give the details, do you have accomodation together, again give the details, anything that can prove you are both committed to a future in Thailand, stick it in and you're almost there.

The reason for sponsorship is to prove that the trip is affordable without recourse to public funds, if she has sufficient funds then she doesn't need a sponsor, if you are paying for the trip then you have to prove that it is appropriate for you to do so and that you can afford it, all you need to supply is six months of bank statements and proof of your employment, if you are staying with friends or family members then get an invitation. If your family are paying for the trip then they should sponsor, providing the same details.

The process itself is pretty straightforward, read the guidelines on the VFS website and if you then have any specific questions then ask on this forum.

Some people use an agent, I personally wouldn't do so, but that's me, your wife's application seems pretty straightforward and I wouldn't do so in your position, but if you do so only use one that is OISC registered either here or in the UK, and certainly not one of the vulchers circling round Regent House.

hi phil

one of the most important things your wife will need to do is to show enough evidence that she will rtn to thailand after her visit to blighty,

does she own assets in thailand,ie house or land or a car?if so put a copy of everything that you can think of linking her with thailand so the eco can see she has good reasons for rtn.

also remember most all tourist visas that are rejected are for that the applicant has failed to show that they will rtn to there own country after there intended visit.

And also remember that it is her application for a visit,yes you are the sponser, but she will still need to fullfil the requirement for this V V.

I hope this helps in some way.

one of the most important things your wife will need to do is to show enough evidence that she will rtn to thailand after her visit to blighty,

does she own assets in thailand,ie house or land or a car?if so put a copy of everything that you can think of linking her with thailand so the eco can see she has good reasons for rtn.

also remember most all tourist visas that are rejected are for that the applicant has failed to show that they will rtn to there own country after there intended visit.

And also remember that it is her application for a visit,yes you are the sponser, but she will still need to fullfil the requirement for this V V.

I think this is a bit of a generalisation, whilst it's true that the reason to return is the most important thing to address, it does not have to be proof that a house, land or a car is owned by the applicant, though that would obviously clinch it, proof of the commitment with her UK husband living in Thailand as well as a steady job with an expectation that the applicant will return to work would probably convince the ECO, that on the balance of probabilities, she would return after the trip.

You are right that it's her application, but if she can prove that she can pay for the trip herself, she wouldn't need a sponsor, the OP would only need to sponsor her if he was providing financial support.

I think this is a bit of a generalisation, whilst it's true that the reason to return is the most important thing to address, it does not have to be proof that a house, land or a car is owned by the applicant, though that would obviously clinch it, proof of the commitment with her UK husband living in Thailand as well as a steady job with an expectation that the applicant will return to work would probably convince the ECO, that on the balance of probabilities, she would return after the trip.

You are right that it's her application, but if she can prove that she can pay for the trip herself, she wouldn't need a sponsor, the OP would only need to sponsor her if he was providing financial support.

hi oldgit

the word probably or the balance of probabilties dosnt inspire confidence to me.she needs to get this right first time around,all more important if its her 1st visa to the uk.

yes your right she dosnt have to have a house,land,car etc,but i was saying IFshe has then submit these documents along with the application,to show she has very very good reason for rtn.

Also in the guys 1st post he is sounding like his parents,or himself IS going to be the sponser.

the word probably or the balance of probabilties dosnt inspire confidence to me.she needs to get this right first time around,all more important if its her 1st visa to the uk.

yes your right she dosnt have to have a house,land,car etc,but i was saying IFshe has then submit these documents along with the application,to show she has very very good reason for rtn.

Also in the guys 1st post he is sounding like his parents,or himself IS going to be the sponser.

The term "Balance of Probabilities" is the burden of proof required by the ECO, it's a term actually used by the UKBA, I use the term "probably" because no one can be 100% sure.

Whilst you are of course correct that proof that a house and land are owned are excellent reasons to return, not so much a car, I was being realistic, I wonder how many young women recently graduated will have accrued substantial assets, strewth their lucky to have a job these days, a job and a stable relationship would be considered sufficient reason in the absence of substantial assets.

I think you are probably right that she will need a sponsor, but it's not a prerequisite, I was just pointing out that if she could afford the trip she doesn't need a sponsor.

At the end of the day we are all here to offer support and guidance to the OP.