Freinds Departed

sunholidaysun1

In the 5 years I have lived in Thailand , some of my friends from England, Belgium,Denmark, America and Australia have died whilst living here . Five Friends lost in 5 years !! Is that normal ?

Three of my friends died of heart attacks and the other two of cancer. Their ages ranged from 50-70 years old.

Anyone else experiencing this ? :)

I've been coming to Thailand for 13 years. Every time I come back to Canada another friend of mine has past away. The past 5 years or so the frequency and numbers have increased. I had to expect that once I past 60, and now that I'm almost 70 I expect to lose a few more. Maybe it will be me next time. Just enjoy each day like it is your last and prepare for the inevitable. I figure if I'm lucky I'll have 10 more years before I can't do what I enjoy doing.

Yes. The problem with life is that it is a killer.

That said. I've known many people that have met an early grave here in the land of thirteen smiles. Mostly Thai.

Yes, life diagnosed is a "terminal disease"...

In the 5 years I have lived in Thailand , some of my friends from England, Belgium,Denmark, America and Australia have died whilst living here . Five Friends lost in 5 years !! Is that normal ?

Three of my friends died of heart attacks and the other two of cancer. Their ages ranged from 50-70 years old.

remind me if we meet not to be your friend, dont like the odds

remind me if we meet not to be your friend, dont like the odds

I agree with you , I am begining to think I am the Grim Reaper . They dont call me Johnny-no-mates for nothing !!

I don't think Thailand can be held to blame. I'm only 34 but in 2 years my father (60), cousin (44) & a friend & thaivisa member, Seonai (47) died. One in Spain & 2 in UK. 2 from cancer & one from TB. Dying is a global epidemic

Most of the associates with whom I worked (oil field) during the 60's and 70's have died via accident or natural causes. In reading the obit section of local hometown newspaper (town of 35 to 40,000) I have noticed that starting about 10 years ago I would have known several deceased individuals or some of their close family on a weekly basis. Its worth noting that over the past year or so the aforementioned frequency has seemed to decrease. When I add the number of expats in Thailand who have died (CM forum page of remembrance) who I known or had an acquaintance with as well as military casualties, its makes for a quiet ponder/reflection once in a while. It does make you aware of how forgiving life has been/is but the downside is, its hard to convey this to many of the, so young people, (my term for clueless). I have not numerically compared Thailand to back home but doubt if there is much difference when the age factor is thrown in. I no longer believe that old saying 'only the good die young' to be entirely correct but it seems to lean that way with each passing year.

What's the saying? "Life's a bitch and then you die, so have a nice day!

The past several years have been bad for me regarding deaths. Had a teacher whose husband dropped dead and she called me, so I headed over and helped. A little over a year later she died a slow painful death from cancer here in the LOS. Not long before the tragic end of that family, a good friend and neighbor committed suicide. In between there have been aquaintances who've bit the dust.

I've been gone from my home country for many years and now the uncle's, aunt's and a few cousins are starting to die as well.

I have a feeling this trend isn't going to improve in the forseeable future.

7 years here and only had one person that I knew keel over. Good ol' crazy man named Spider who lived in Korat. Ex US army doctor. Got the nickname from his fearless running around the hillsides of Vietnam under fire, trying to save the lives of fellow soldiers. Anyone here knew Spider knew what a crazy, lovely guy he was. "Gee willickers" He said that a lot while downing a multitude of beerchang (not me, before you start getting hilarious!) all day, everyday. RIP Spidey.

I've lost several old college buddies and relatives over the last year. Their deaths can't be blamed on Thailand. In general though, the quality and availability of health care here generally can't compete with what is found in the west (even though it's a lot cheaper). It's not surprising that people die younger here than what you would expect back home.

It would seem that westerners die at a younger age in Thailand than in their homelands. Perhaps it is lifestyle related, or maybe Thailand attracts people that have lived life on the fast metabolism setting, I don't know. However, I have the feeling the heat, combined with general living conditions accelerate the aging process for alot of westerners. There are a couple studies that say the ideal sleeping temperature for humans is 16-17C. We spend 1/3 of our day in bed ( the extra hours dedicated to romping don't count) and that's where we recharge our physical batteries. Disrupted sleep patterns do curtail our lives.