How Do You Prevent Yourself From Prejudging Others?

dondraper

All people pre-judge.  This is survival trait. Politically correct or not, most people would hesitate and get slightly anxious if a group of young men from whatever is the most economically depressed demographic from a region start boisterously walking towards the person in a secluded environment.  Or most of us would look with disdain at a shoeless, unkempt, filthy man who wanders into the posh restaurant.  We all pre-judge.

I think the key is to keep an open mind and be willing to throw out any pre-judgements and accept what new data can bring to us which might change our opinions.

Bullsh!t. How exactly do you sniff another dogs arse on the bloody internet, eh?

I think you did't understand the meaning of my post,or more likely i expressed myself poorly.

btw,the tone of your comment is not doing you any favour.. :)

Now now Mau.....apparently you cannot judge people on the internet.......NanLaew is probably really good at polite reasoned debate.......

He just keeps it well hidden on occasion when he posts..... :D

Nobody prejudge anyone here on TV.

:D

I agree that our senses do give us an initial reaction to a person but that does not make us judgemental. I think we can make a reasoned assessment of someone after a short period of time.

Judging people by what they say on an internet forum will never give you a true idea of what they are like, though there are cases where a person can be aggressive or otherwise generally obnoxious on a forum and that tends to make us automatically prejudge them to the point where we would not voluntarily meet them.

If you don't pre-judge, you can still turn out to be a judgemental person. Correct?

Pre-judge implies a certain point after which it is more acceptable to judge?

At some point in meeting new people, we all end up making judgements anyway, is it a matter of what criteria we use to judge? Appearances, character. wealth, postings on TV, intellect (or lack thereof), status?

Has anyone done a Myers Briggs test in their careers? I was a strong J type

I agree that our senses do give us an initial reaction to a person but that does not make us judgemental. I think we can make a reasoned assessment of someone after a short period of time.

Judging people by what they say on an internet forum will never give you a true idea of what they are like, though there are cases where a person can be aggressive or otherwise generally obnoxious on a forum and that tends to make us automatically prejudge them to the point where we would not voluntarily meet them.

I agree with you.

There are some members here that, based upon how they write, I would never want to meet.

Same probably goes for some members regarding me and how I write.

Can you imagine if one met them and they actually turned out to be nice and decent people?

What a nightmare.

:)