Sleeper Train From Ubon Ratchathani To Bkk

Hello smallpurplecat,

I have taken that journey many times. it takes almost 12 hours but it's not too bad.

There are 3 classes and 5 fares. First Class is a private compartment with 2 berths and toilet. The fare is 1180TB but I forget if that is per person or per compartment.

Next is the air car. The two rates are for upper and lower berths. Lower being the higher priced.

Finally, fan car. Lower fares than the air car and difference between upper and lower.

You can purchase tickets at the Ubon train station in Warin. As you enter the station entrance turn right and there is an advance ticket sales office. You can sometimes purchase at the window as well.

There are several agencies around Ubon who handle rail ticketing however when going through the agency you can't see where the location of your berth.

The fan is ok. I had to open the window to get some circulation so I could sleep. The conductor didn't want me to because sometimes rain will come in. Air car is good. I didn't really see the benefit of 1st class.

My only complaint is almost as soon as the train is moving it seems they want to make up the berths and an hour out from Bangkok they want you to get up so they can break down the berths.

You can see more at http://www.weloveubon.com/train-travel-ubon.html

or

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_PDF.asp

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the sleeper train from Ubon to Bangkok. Anyone done this trip? How much is a 1st class sleeper and how can I book it?

Thanks

don't do it - fly or bus it .

i did a bkk to c-mai one way in sleeper , pre-booked ticket in 1st. class (joke) cabin with double bunk , paid 400 baht extra for exclusive use (2nd. ticket) to ensure solo occupancy -( no decent looking females on board ) and ended up sharing my night with a bottle of black label , an overload pizza company promotion and a filthy , cockroaches all-singing, all-dancing floorshow comprising , among others , a fair proportion of the insect habitat of middle to upper regional siam. scary . especially for a white boy.

<snip>

not one of them paid upgrades - they all bought a 3rd. class wooden bench ticket (like 230 odd baht + you get the lice for free and your arse full of splinters ) and gave the purser 100 baht or a half bottle of thai whisky for cabin facilities .

mind you - the 6am final decent into c-mai was gorgeous - so beautiful , foggy , fantastic and i have to admit would love to sample again . from a car .

live and learn .

i did-you will never catch me on thai railways again . filthy , no fun and total rubbish .

and also a warning - you will not see many/any single thai females on the train b/cos of safety issues - gang rape , murder and well.....

so ubon to bkk , take the jet/bus .

much better chance of a jump .

lol .

Edited by raro
defamatory comments deleted

Hello smallpurplecat,

I have taken that journey many times. it takes almost 12 hours but it's not too bad.

There are 3 classes and 5 fares. First Class is a private compartment with 2 berths and toilet. The fare is 1180TB but I forget if that is per person or per compartment.

Next is the air car. The two rates are for upper and lower berths. Lower being the higher priced.

Finally, fan car. Lower fares than the air car and difference between upper and lower.

You can purchase tickets at the Ubon train station in Warin. As you enter the station entrance turn right and there is an advance ticket sales office. You can sometimes purchase at the window as well.

There are several agencies around Ubon who handle rail ticketing however when going through the agency you can't see where the location of your berth.

The fan is ok. I had to open the window to get some circulation so I could sleep. The conductor didn't want me to because sometimes rain will come in. Air car is good. I didn't really see the benefit of 1st class.

My only complaint is almost as soon as the train is moving it seems they want to make up the berths and an hour out from Bangkok they want you to get up so they can break down the berths.

You can see more at http://www.weloveubon.com/train-travel-ubon.html

or

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_PDF.asp

I've taken the first class compartment a few times, and have absolutely nothing to complain about!

The price one way is Baht 1180.- per person

Although I usually fly BKK- UBP, if I have the time I love to take the train. I haven't done the Chiang Mai route, which sounds horrid from the other poster's remarks, but BKK- Ubon is great fun. I have used 1st class, once, but prefer 2nd class A/C, where you get more chance to meet and chat with other passengers. I have never had any of the poor experiences described by khun unhappy.

You can read about the journey here http://www.thailandbytrain.com/ThailandTravelBlog.php

Cheers,

Mike

Hi all,

THanks for your replies.

I'm now thinking about flying out to Ubon and getting the train back the night before I fly back to UK. My flight is 1.30pm on the Monday - if I get the overnight sleeper on Sunday - to arrive in BKK at 6am - I should be fine right....? Do the trains often run late or mostly to schedule?

I'm also wondering whether to do the journey during the day so I can actually see the country.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the sleeper train from Ubon to Bangkok. Anyone done this trip? How much is a 1st class sleeper and how can I book it?

Thanks

don't do it - fly or bus it .

i did a bkk to c-mai one way in sleeper , pre-booked ticket in 1st. class (joke) cabin with double bunk , paid 400 baht extra for exclusive use (2nd. ticket) to ensure solo occupancy - <snip> and ended up sharing my night with a bottle of black label , an overload pizza company promotion and a filthy , cockroaches all-singing, all-dancing floorshow comprising , among others , a fair proportion of the insect habitat of middle to upper regional siam. scary . especially for a white boy.

<snip>

not one of them paid upgrades - they all bought a 3rd. class wooden bench ticket (like 230 odd baht + you get the lice for free and your arse full of splinters ) and gave the purser 100 baht or a half bottle of thai whisky for cabin facilities .

mind you - the 6am final decent into c-mai was gorgeous - so beautiful , foggy , fantastic and i have to admit would love to sample again . from a car .

live and learn .

i did-you will never catch me on thai railways again . filthy , no fun and total rubbish .

and also a warning - you will not see many/any single thai females on the train b/cos of safety issues - gang rape , murder and well.....

so ubon to bkk , take the jet/bus .

much better chance of a jump .

lol .

Nearly all negatives you mention can be used on the bus too!

By air, maybe not so many negatives, but Suvarnibhumi...............

And what about the "derailment" of the buses, the disappearance of your luggage, the uncouth, smelly people on the buses....and so on, the rape of girls in the toilets of the bus(really?, yes!), the hordes of flies, musquitos and various creeping vermin on the same buses?

By the way, on most night train there is a Railway Police Patrol.

So

Edited by raro
quoted defamatory post deleted

Hi all,

THanks for your replies.

I'm now thinking about flying out to Ubon and getting the train back the night before I fly back to UK. My flight is 1.30pm on the Monday - if I get the overnight sleeper on Sunday - to arrive in BKK at 6am - I should be fine right....? Do the trains often run late or mostly to schedule?

I'm also wondering whether to do the journey during the day so I can actually see the country.

Thanks

I havn't done the Bkk - Udon route yet but plan to later this year but I have been on the Bkk - Chiang Mai route and the trains on that route are "very often late" as you say, It might be wise to arrive in Bkk the day before your flight as you could well miss it.