Stamps With Date Past Extension Of Long-stay (retirement) Visa

I have a long-stay/retirement visa that expires in September 2009. In April when I returned through BKK, I was given a stamp until April 2010. In other words, far past the expiration date of my visa. I figured this was a mistake until I returned from a trip abroad last week, and got a stamp until August 2010!!! This time, I asked the immigration officer at the airport, and he told me I didnt have to go to renew my visa until August 2010, and that this was a new full service policy. Does this have something to do about the free visa deal? Has this happened to others? What do our resident gurus have to say?

This is all news to me. I have a non-immigrant OA-type (Retirement) visa/1 year extension of stay expiring 25th November 2009 with multiple entry stamp valid until 25th November 2009. It is my first extension having previously had a 1 year O-type non-immigrant visa. I travelled abroad in May and came back though Bangkok airport on 1st June. The lady at the immigration desk was narky apparently because I hadn't filled in my visa number on the immigration card, even though I had handed her my passport with the relevant page open showing both the visa stamp and the multiple entry stamp. She asked me "where is your visa" several times, to which I replied each time, "look there, in the passport". Anyhow, she scowled, put her stamp on my passport and slapped it back down on the desk. The stamp expires on 25th November 2009. But the posts on this thread indicate that it is standard policy for people like me to be stamped for another year on re-entry. Should she therefore have given me an extension to 1st June 2010? If so, why do the experts think she didn't do this? Because she was having a bad day at the office? Because she was peeved at me? Or could it be because this is only my first extension? It was the only time I have ever experienced unpleasantness at immigration, by the way. And this is my first post on thaivisa.com. Greetings and thanks in anticipation of helpful offers of explanation.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it is not any such policy - the poster is talking about a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa obtained from a Consulate - you are talking about an extension of stay obtained from Immigration - completely different items.

You have a one year extension of stay for retirement - not a non immigrant O-A visa.

Do I read this correct?

A Multi Entry Non Imm O-A Visa = you can get another 1 year stamp if you leave before the expiry date...

what about

A Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' Visa = do you also get another 1 year stamp? or is it only on the O-A Visa.?

Correct for both. :)

Do I read this correct?

A Multi Entry Non Imm O-A Visa = you can get another 1 year stamp if you leave before the expiry date...

what about

A Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' Visa = do you also get another 1 year stamp? or is it only on the O-A Visa.?

Astral, are you sure? I thought on O-A visa you got 12 month stamp on entry and on Non-Immigrant visa 90 days on entry.

A multi entry non immigrant O-A visa, as you apparently have, allows a one year stay from any entry made during the visa validity period. So if you enter again before the visa expires in September you will have until September next year. What does change is for any exit after the visa expires (next month) you must obtain a re-entry permit to keep your current permitted to stay until date alive.

What is the difference between the O visa and the O-A visa... I have an O ,non immigrant retirement visa..do the same rules apply? Can I change my O visa to an O-A visa? Thanks for the in put....I will return to Thailand next month for extention of my retirement visa as it is now .

The only retirement visa is O-A and issued by a Consulate in home country with police report and medical being required as well as financial proof in home country. It allows a one year stay on entry to Thailand and can be issued in single entry or multi entry forms.

The non immigrant O visa is also issued by a Consulate and allows 90 day stay or if multi entry one year of stays up to 90 days each.

What you do with above is extend your stay at an Immigration office for one year at a time using a TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht - that can be for retirement or other reasons and the paperwork will vary. It is not a visa - it is an extension of stay.

The only retirement visa is O-A and issued by a Consulate in home country with police report and medical being required as well as financial proof in home country. It allows a one year stay on entry to Thailand and can be issued in single entry or multi entry forms.

The non immigrant O visa is also issued by a Consulate and allows 90 day stay or if multi entry one year of stays up to 90 days each.

What you do with above is extend your stay at an Immigration office for one year at a time using a TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht - that can be for retirement or other reasons and the paperwork will vary. It is not a visa - it is an extension of stay.

So each year I go to Pattaya/Jomtien and fill out loads of paperwork, photos, bank statements, Embassy financial declaration, get a small stamp that says retirement, a big stamp that says application to stay - is a non immigrant O visa?

Same end result but different why?

I do not understand what your question is. The end result is a one year extension of stay - not a visa - you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to any travel to return and still have the stay (which is not changed).

A multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows free travel for the period it is valid and on each entry you receive a new one year permitted to stay until stamp.

As said above a non immigrant O visa only allows a stay of 90 days.

Edited by lopburi3

I have or had a O Visa then got the retirement that superceded my first one. So in Oct I go get another Retirement 1 year visa. I do want to travel to HonKong and Vietnam etc. What do I need and will have to get another visa "exit then entry" visa to get back in? You can see I am confused about this.

:)

A multi entry non immigrant O-A visa, as you apparently have, allows a one year stay from any entry made during the visa validity period. So if you enter again before the visa expires in September you will have until September next year. What does change is for any exit after the visa expires (next month) you must obtain a re-entry permit to keep your current permitted to stay until date alive.

In October you go where? If to immigration it is not for a visa but for a one year extension of stay. If you currently have one any travel before October will require you obtain a re-entry permit from immigration at 1,000 baht. It will have the same expiration date as your current permitted to stay until stamp. If your plans are for travel ofter October (when you obtain a new extension of stay) you will want to wait until you have that so the re-entry permit will be valid until the new date. You can also buy a multi entry re-entry permit for 3,800 baht if you plan a lot of travel.

The above applies to extensions of stay from Immigration - if that is not what you have advise exactly what you have and what you intend to obtain in October/where?

I get a stamp each year in Jomtien

Its good for 12 months with show your face anywhere/or mail in reporting every 90 days

Does this mean I have an O-A ?

Its good for 12 months with show your face anywhere/or mail in reporting every 90 days

No. You have a 12 month extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

An O-A Visa can only be obtained in your own country.

Do I read this correct?

what about

Astral, are you sure? I thought on O-A visa you got 12 month stamp on entry and on Non-Immigrant visa 90 days on entry.

My apologies.

It is only 90days for the Non Imm O visa, but you do get another stamp each time you arrive,

until the visa expires.

No. You have a 12 month extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

An O-A Visa can only be obtained in your own country.

again I say isnt it the same end only the retiremt visa is obtained in ones own country and the retirement extention is obtained locally.

same same but different

but why its both for retirement and the same paperwork is required

:) WE have O-A visa. It was issued on July 14, 2009 it says it must be utilized before July 14, 2010. My question is we are coming on October 8th, 2009 and have to go back home and tie up some loose ends at the end of year and beginning of next so our next reentry will be February 2010. I understand that it will be good till February 2011.

My question is if we leave Thailand say in June and try to reenter after July 14, 2010 are we going to need a new multiple entry visa ?

wilmar

Do you have a single entry or a multi entry?

If it is a single it will expire when you leave at the end of the year unless you apply for a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

EDIT.

Just looked back and you have a Multi Entry. Every time you enter up until July 14th 2010 you will get a 12 month permission to stay stamp.

The best plan would be to do a border run just before July 14th. Go over the border and come back again to get another 12 months. You would then need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration to keep your stay alive if you wanted to leave.

I have had two Non-Immigrant multi-entry O-A retirement visas both issued by the Thai Consul in Florida. On both of mine (past and current) there is a stamp just below the bottom of the main visa stamp that says "Extension of stay not permitted". Those words are part of the original visa stamp, not something added seperately. I read it that I will have to get a new visa when this one expires. Is that right?

Jim

. I read it that I will have to get a new visa when this one expires. Is that right?

Jim

No . You can apply for a 12 month Extension at Immigration if you meet the financial requirements. These requirements will be the same as your for your O-A Application. 65,000 Baht monthly income OR 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank. OR a combination of the two.

If it is a single it will expire when you leave at the end of the year unless you apply for a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

EDIT.

Just looked back and you have a Multi Entry. Every time you enter up until July 14th 2010 you will get a 12 month permission to stay stamp.

The best plan would be to do a border run just before July 14th. Go over the border and come back again to get another 12 months. You would then need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration to keep your stay alive if you wanted to leave.

But will he then be on a extension to stay and thus need a Re Entry permit if wanted to leave? Or still on his OA visa and then not needing a RE permit during the 12 months?

And it says you are allowed to stay 12 months from your first entry on the information sheet. But you get another 12 months every time you leave and come back?? Very confusing, for me. My OA Multiple is issued Nov 08 and first entry January 09. I am now in Europe and will be returning to Thailand in October. Do I have to apply for extension in January or October next year?

EDIT.

But will he then be on a extension to stay and thus need a Re Entry permit if wanted to leave? Or still on his OA visa and then not needing a RE permit during the 12 months?

And it says you are allowed to stay 12 months from your first entry on the information sheet. But you get another 12 months every time you leave and come back?? Very confusing, for me. My OA Multiple is issued Nov 08 and first entry January 09. I am now in Europe and will be returning to Thailand in October. Do I have to apply for extension in January or October next year?

When you come back to Thailand in October 2009 you will get 12 month permission to stay from the date of arrival, as you hold a valid multi entry visa, taking you through to October 2010. After your visa expires in Nov 2009 you will need to obtain re-entry permit if you leave the country to keep your permission to stay alive. You will need to apply for extension of stay in October 2010.

I was told by Immigration to get a lettter from the Consulate verifying my income. The joke is the letter is a form letter that you yourself fill out and swear is accurate. The Consulate does not even bother to verify the income. You then simply take it back to Immigration and show it to them.

This is the process at the US embassy only as far as I am aware and other embassies require full documentation

Correct, and yes Monica Lewenski's ex-boyfriends wife, That would be Sect'y of State K. Hill Roddam signed anotgher Amity Treaty so we yanks can do alot more in LOS as long as my country continues to provide such high levels of support. BTW, The EU is stroking things to get EU'ers set up but I doubt the EU'ers will or can come up with the support level??????

I don't know of anybody who has been challanged as to the letter although in a recent e-mail from ACS (American Citizens Services) they did stipulate that bank review was an option! Our letters can be obtained at an Embassy Outreach Program (they come to us) and is valid for 1 year!

I don't know of anybody who has been challanged as to the letter although in a recent e-mail from ACS (American Citizens Services) they did stipulate that bank review was an option! Our letters can be obtained at an Embassy Outreach Program (they come to us) and is valid for 1 year!

Some immigration offices ask for bank books for any income letter from any country.

They don't have outreach to Ubon or anywhere nearby. I just made my annual pilgramage to Bangkok for mine. Hours and hours of travel to get the affidavit which only took about 10 minutes to get.

Ok now let me try and get this straight

A multi entry o visa issued in UK (by hull consulate shall we say) is valid for multi entry into thailand with an

allowed to stay stamp of 90 days at a time, with the last entry allowed a day or so before the visa expires,

so it would cover a stay in thailand for 15 months with 90 day border runs required, before a new one only

granted in home country would be required. or an Extension of Stay to support thai wife or retirement

issued by immigration could be obtained.

A multi entry O-A visa again issued in the UK (by hull consulate shall we say) having satified all the required

paperwork ie police report and medical as well as financial proof, is valid for multi entry into thailand for a

period of 1 year, with an allowed to stay stamp of 1 year (a 90 day report to immigration would be required) on each entry.

with the last entry being allowed a day or so before expiry of the visa, this visa would cover a stay of almost 2 years

in thailand before an Extension of Stay issued by immigration (either retirement or supporting thai wife) would be required.

or indeed a new visa issued by home country. The two year stay would require 90 day reporting, and if leaving thailand after

the original visa had expired a re-entry permit would be required issued by local immigration only.

Extension of stay are another ball game

Edited by steve187

Ok now let me try and get this straight

A multi entry o visa issued in UK (by hull consulate shall we say) is valid for multi entry into thailand with an

allowed to stay stamp of 90 days at a time, with the last entry allowed a day or so before the visa expires,

so it would cover a stay in thailand for 15 months with 90 day border runs required, before a new one only

granted in home country would be required. or an Extension of Stay to support thai wife or retirement

issued by immigration could be obtained.

A multi entry O-A visa again issued in the UK (by hull consulate shall we say) having satified all the required

paperwork ie police report and medical as well as financial proof, is valid for multi entry into thailand for a

period of 1 year, with an allowed to stay stamp of 1 year (a 90 day report to immigration would be required) on each entry.

with the last entry being allowed a day or so before expiry of the visa, this visa would cover a stay of almost 2 years

in thailand before an Extension of Stay issued by immigration (either retirement or supporting thai wife) would be required.

or indeed a new visa issued by home country. The two year stay would require 90 day reporting, and if leaving thailand after

the original visa had expired a re-entry permit would be required issued by local immigration only.

Extension of stay are another ball game

Correct except O-A visas are only issued by Thai Embassy in London for UK applications (not UK consulates)

Correct

I know you were using Hull as a example only but for info purposes they do not issue OA visas you have to go the embassy in London for them.

thanks for that its nice to get in clear in ones mind for future use.