Verdict On Thaksin Cabinet 1.44 Billion Baht Corruption Case Set For August 17

sriracha john

Ignoring the give away petty bourgeois abuse of the working class (somtum smelling bad breath etc), I'm not sure why directed -or to be kind let's say authority influenced - court decisions are any better now than those made under Thaksin.

The guy stank and his breath was obviously from either somtam or something else similar, was abusive and was having a go at me in my neighbourhood, probably not his. He was riding a motorcycle, dressed poorly even counting his nice new truth today T shirt, used extremely collaquial accented Thai; I can guess fairly accurately what sort of education and income the guy has as he was less than a foot away from me ready to take action while I was peacefully sitting in the taxi. What do you want me to describe him as - a supreme court justice on his way to work 55555555555555

As for court decisions, I simply hope the courts will rule on the basis of the law. And not some popularity contest.

As to your first paragraph, particularly the comment on education and income, it says more about you and your attitudes than you could possibly imagine.

As to your second paragraph I agree whether the popularity is courted from the hoi polloi (not very likely) or the elite.However history has taught us to have very low expectations.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting decison today and apparently the court can choose to rule if some no show. That is up to the judges.

Now if Newin goes down accepts his time and then after a while asks for a pardon complete with apologies and accepting responsibility for actions you get just about the worst case for red strategists or at least the Thaksinista red strategists. Interesting. Of course it will never happen

Newin is not afraid of spending sometime in jail, if it earns him a lot of political capital. That would also mean he burned all the bridges with Thaksin and throws him a challenge.

That might soudn impossible - but he really has no choice, has he?

He might also get a pardon for TRT dissolution case. Then he might call for elections, with Somkid at his side.

Police deployed at Supreme Court

About 1,000 police have been deployed outside and inside the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions ahead of the reading of the verdict in the rubber sapling case scheduled for 2pm.

About 700 police have been positioned outside and 300 inside the court. People who are not concerned with the case will not be allowed inside. Closed-circuit television sets have been installed outside the courtroom for the mass media to cover the news. Journalists are not allowed to take pictures inside the courtroom. The nine judges were holding a secret meeting in the morning to consider charges against each of the 44 defendants before making their own verdicts. The reading of the verdict is scheduled for 2pm.

As of noon, supporters of Newin Chidchob, one of the defendants, have not yet shown up at the court.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...t-supreme-court

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-17

2 pm: The Supreme Court will any minute read the much-anticipated Newin verdict. A ruling has been made, we know that much. Whether Newin will escape a jail term for malfeasance remains to be seen. Very few Newin supporters have shown up at the court, largely because Newin had urged his followers to stay away to avoid causing trouble.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-17

Newin is not afraid of spending sometime in jail,

would that cause a rush for the exits ? a precedent like that would cause a lot of worry

When was the last time a Thai politician went to jail? They just head overseas (magically, the authorities forget to secure their passports in advance of the verdict).

Among those who have been accused in the case are:

adisai-1.jpg

former Commerce Minister Adisai Photaramik

Adisai fails to attend ruling session

Former Commerce Minister Adisak Potharamik did not attend the court session Monday to hear the ruling in the rubber sampling corruption case.

All other 43 suspects attended the session, but Adisai sent his lawyer to inform the call that he was sick and was receiving a treatment overseas.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-17

When was the last time a Thai politician went to jail? They just head overseas (magically, the authorities forget to secure their passports in advance of the verdict).

Here we go!

Former Commerce Minister Adisak Potharamik did not attend the court session Monday to hear the ruling in the rubber sampling corruption case.

All other 43 suspects attended the session, but Adisai sent his lawyer to inform the call that he was sick and was receiving a treatment overseas.

Suprised he's not the only one that's done a runner. Maybe the rest are innocent :)

Supreme Court issues arrest warrant against Adisai

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office Monday issued an arrest warrant against former commerce minister Adisai Potharamik after he failed to go to the court to hear the ruling in the rubber sapling case Monday afternoon.

Since Adisai failed to show up, the court postponed the verdict reading to September 21.

Adisai sent his lawyer to tell the court that he was ill with backbone pain and needed to receive a treatment in the United States from July 15 to August 30.

The court also fined the guarantor of Adisai for Bt1 million for failing to have him appear in court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-17

It'd be great to see a fair (non-politically biased) verdict with some cheats ending up in jail...

I can't see that any of them would be 'prepared' to do some time in jail to earn respect or whatever; these folk don't know the meaning of anything other than cheat: scam: win: me: repeat:

Surely Nevin's deal with the army / Dems included keeping him out of jail this time... the political picture is too volatile for him to be prepared to take one step away from the core of the action.

"Since Adisai failed to show up, the court postponed the verdict reading to September 21." - this did look like the most obvious result for today...

Edited by jasreeve17

43 of em make it and only one cowardly old hand job runs away. Not bad really.

just to place in the scheme of things, the Potaramik clan are involved with Jasmine, involved in telco wires building type stuff, broadband and also the parent of TT&T the basket case fixed line operator with the most to gain from telco concession renegotiation. They were dead after the crisis, yet were able to reemerge, like a phoenix....thanks to the debt haircut.

Part of the inner circle including M-Link Wongsawat clan (former PM) and also of course Shin (Shinawatra and Damapong).

Being that he is one of the business types, not so surprising that he would be a coward and not appear.

Somkid always seemed to me to be a somewhat capable guy, also a business type but one of the new generation of TRT that truly probably did walk the walk kit mai tum mai and were subsequently replaced by the godfather hoodlums and shiesters.

Anyhow, let's hope the court rules fairly - no scapegoats....but no free rides either. We have to wait, but I suppose whereas the rest of us suffer from slight back ache and might ring ahead, others in more power just need to visit doctors in USA.

So much for Thailand, medical hub.

Edited by steveromagnino

Supreme Court issues arrest warrant against Adisai

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office Monday issued an arrest warrant against former commerce minister Adisai Potharamik after he failed to go to the court to hear the ruling in the rubber sapling case Monday afternoon.

Since Adisai failed to show up, the court postponed the verdict reading to September 21.

Adisai sent his lawyer to tell the court that he was ill with backbone pain and needed to receive a treatment in the United States from July 15 to August 30.

The court also fined the guarantor of Adisai for Bt1 million for failing to have him appear in court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-17

Governmental pain in the arse?

I got backbone pain, but I can easily get treatment in Bangkok...

<deleted> Mr. P.

Rubber case verdict put off to Sept 21

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions postponed the reading of its verdict on the rubber sapling procurement case to Sept 21 after former Commerce Minister Adisai Bodharamik, one of the defendants, failed to show up at the court. The court issued a warrant for Adisai's arrest and set Sept 21 for delivering the verdict.

Out of the 44 defendants in the case, only Adisai, the fifth defendant, did not show up at the court, which originally set to read the verdict at 2pm, but had a lawyer submit a request to travel to the United States to seek treatment of his backbone. In the request, he said the court could read the verdict in his absence.

The court, however, said Adisai's reason was unacceptable, adding that the ex-minister should have notified it long in advance that it was necessary for him to seek treatment abroad and would not be able to be present to hear the verdict. It was of the opinion that Adisai had intentionally evaded it.

The court ordered that his bail guarantor be fined, and issued a warrant for Adisai's arrest.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...-off-to-sept-21

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-17

Last posted without seeing Mario's post....

But what of discussing the POSITION espoused by the poster?

By necessity that becomes a personnel element in the discussion,

but does not lack relevancy to the discussion.

The position of the poster can be discussed, as long as it stays within the topic of the thread and is done with respect to each other. Our main concern is that we see the same discussion being held over and over again, which we want to prevent. We don't want to have a discussion where both sides accuse the other side of being tugs.

It is 4.45pm Mon 17th August and no news or verdict on the tube.......... any links or similar updates welcomed.

Yes - Debate should be reasoned, considered and equitable - perhaps less emotion, IMHO?

We observe without prejudice and comment without power - same for us 'common folk' the world over.

I await the conclusion with a small beer and less confidence.

regardz and let's play nice, fellow visitors, eh?

Brewsta

On bail awaiting the courts verdict and he gets away.

Seems like there is a necessary precedent for the courts to learn here. CONFISCATE PEOPLES PASSPORTS in the terms of their bail.

How can anyone hold the system in anything but the highest contempt if it cannot even stop people from leaving the country without asking permission of a court first, if the only reason for their freedom is firstly having posted bail?

Seems like there is a necessary precedent for the courts to learn here. CONFISCATE PEOPLES PASSPORTS in the terms of their bail.

How can anyone hold the system in anything but the highest contempt if it cannot even stop people from leaving the country without asking permission of a court first, if the only reason for their freedom is firstly having posted bail?

That implies forward and critical thinking - a big ask I'm afraid.

Presumably the court has taken 43 co-defendant passports today, as a matter of precaution? If not, given the circumstances and precedents then why not?

Presumably the court has taken 43 co-defendant passports today, as a matter of precaution? If not, given the circumstances and precedents then why not?

Well they have extended the judgement to 6 weeks from now. If all 43, one by one disappear, the verdict will be able to be delivered in about 5 years.

I mean honestly, the system really doesn't do itself any favours by allowing this kind of thing to perpetuate. A Russian arms dealer against whom the courts are struggling to find any wrongdoing (nor has committed any offence against Thailand) has been locked up for a year, and is still in jail pending prosecutorial appeal. Meanwhile a multi millionaire accused in a case of serious fraud against the Thai state is allowed out on bail and then to leave without even a goodbye to the court to go and see his chiropractor.

He's gone, and he won't be coming back. They should have read the verdict without him - now some more will doubtless take sudden international medical vacations.

Exactly. It's the court that has the backbone problem. I knew they'd take any reason to postpone. They're scared to take any dynamic decision. As for taking passports from remaining defendants, are you kidding? Each defendant would just smile and say, "Oh, I think it's at home, I'll try and get it to you later." .....and that would be the end of that mini-fiasco.

The court is to be commended for at least confiscating the Bt.1 million bail for the shirker. Will they get in a post-dated check?

Well they have extended the judgement to 6 weeks from now. If all 43, one by one disappear, the verdict will be able to be delivered in about 5 years.

I mean honestly, the system really doesn't do itself any favours by allowing this kind of thing to perpetuate. A Russian arms dealer against whom the courts are struggling to find any wrongdoing (nor has committed any offence against Thailand) has been locked up for a year, and is still in jail pending prosecutorial appeal. Meanwhile a multi millionaire accused in a case of serious fraud against the Thai state is allowed out on bail and then to leave without even a goodbye to the court to go and see his chiropractor.

I agree 100%.