Getting Cut In Front Of In Line

AskTheCPT

Do people often cut in line in Thailand?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Compared to China, where I lived for two years, cutting in line here is nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my wife went to a seminar in Shanghai upon her return she told me she was in a clothes shop holding up a jacket to see if she liked it and a local woman just took it out of her hands and started trying it on.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once at the Nana Post Office, just as I was about to be served, a young Thai man jumped right in front of me to the head of the queue. So I immediately pushed him out of the way and resumed my position at the front of the queue. Unfortunately, the postal employee hadn't seen HIM jumping the queue, but she did see ME rather forcefully getting in front of HIM. She proceeded to serve me, but with a dirty look on her face. Ha. Sometimes you just can't win.

In the case of queue jumping at the Immigration Bureau: I have long suspected that these queue jumpers are visa processing agents who pay off the Immigration employees for faster service. (Why else would this queue jumping be tolerated? I mean, it's not like Immigration officers are afraid of the queue jumpers. After all, they are police officers, aren't they?) We non-bribe-paying chumps are then served at the end of the day after all bribe payers have been duly served. I base this observation on many years of sitting around the Suan Phlu Immigration Bureau for five hours waiting for my visa to be processed, during which time very few numbers from the queuing system are called. And then at the end of the day, they are suddenly able to process the dozens of remaining applicants in the last half hour of the working day.

I use to be waiting for the Toilet in a Nightclub in Pattaya, and girls just use to casualy walk in, past the queue, they seemed to time it just right as someone was coming out.

So from now on, when its my turn next, I position myself so that NO ONE can squeeze past, I hate this jumping the queue, and there seems to be a lot of it in Thailand.

It is what I call extremely bad manners.

I can't believe no-one has pointed out a basic fact yet, so I'm throwing it into the mix. I haven't been living in Bangkok for long, but cutting cut in front of really pissed me off UNTIL i figured out a basic fact.

How to not get cut in front of = mentally over-ride your Western sense of personal space and simply stand so close to the person in front that you are basically committing frottage. I'm not inciting anyone here, and I know you'd be arrested if you tried it back home - I'm just stating the overlooked fact that Thais have little sense of personal space - weird huh? You get cut up because you give other's a Western personal space for their privacy. I'm NOT saying you should make bodily contact, by the way.

boom. Watch how the thais form their qs, they are practically dry humping one another. Dont cling to your "personal space" because to alot of Thais, that just looks like youre still thinking through what you want to buy and are happy not to be served yet. But to the ones who obviously dont even consider you or others waiting, if they are younger than me I usually make some sarcastic remark, and to the older ones, make it in my head only.

Edited by OxfordWill

I can't believe no-one has pointed out a basic fact yet, so I'm throwing it into the mix. I haven't been living in Bangkok for long, but cutting cut in front of really pissed me off UNTIL i figured out a basic fact.

How to not get cut in front of = mentally over-ride your Western sense of personal space and simply stand so close to the person in front that you are basically committing frottage. I'm not inciting anyone here, and I know you'd be arrested if you tried it back home - I'm just stating the overlooked fact that Thais have little sense of personal space - weird huh? You get cut up because you give other's a Western personal space for their privacy. I'm NOT saying you should make bodily contact, by the way.

I agree, in the States if someone 's at the counter at 7/11 you still stand back 2-3 feet not as far as the ATM but you still give them their space. Here I guess you just got to get right up against the person in front of you.

Speaking of the ATM I've never ever had to wait in line here because there are like 10x more than in the States :) or maybe 10x less people using them?

Line cutting, directly proportional to the possible resistance and inversely to line movement, ...,

In Japan lines quickly stratify into status and position, not wearing a suit, then a suit will soon be in front of you.

Actually in the LOS I find the worse offenders to usually be tourists and other oblivious clods with some sense of perceived entitlement,

I always call them on it regardless of how big, bald or tattooed they are, :D

Must be the heat that reduces one's take shi... threshold :)

I was at immigration yesterday and some visa agent (i think) just walked right in front of me and put his paperwork in the front of the agent even though my number was called.

It reminded me of how much I hate getting cut in front of. I also happened at that super-market in the bottom floor of MBK. I was standing in line for like 10 minutes in the pastry section and some bastard walked right in front of me. If that happened in the States I would tell him to F*** off but here what to do?

Seems I see people cutting in line all the time. It really doesn't affect me at all, but just the idea makes me want to do something.

Is this just me? Or is this an issue in Bangkok? Or have I just not let go of my USA attitude?

What you do is you cut in front of them! Even if their is only half an inch of room to do that. You don't yell, or get loud.

For an example. I was at a shopping center in Bangkok. I was at the counter. I was telling the man what my order was. It was my turn. I was ordering a Milo drink. A Thai man cut right in front of me. Even thought this person was now at the counter. I stepped in front of him. More like slid in front of him stepping in front of him. I Put my arm straight out to the side and proceeded to give my order. This person said nothing to me. I turned around and said that is rude any where in the world in a soft low voice. He said nothing. He perhaps spoke no english. I think he got the point though. I heard a Thai voice in the crowd say that is you do it I

Had a bunch of yanks do it to us at a restaurant in Chiang Mai while taking my wife out for mothers day.

I'm sure they were 1st generation yanks if they cut in front of you. It takes time coming form different countries

to learn to be polite. Not nice though and I'm sure it made you upset, but reminded you of home some. Sad f_____ they were fro doing that to you.

Hope dinner though was good.

I was at immigration yesterday and some visa agent (i think) just walked right in front of me and put his paperwork in the front of the agent even though my number was called.

It reminded me of how much I hate getting cut in front of. I also happened at that super-market in the bottom floor of MBK. I was standing in line for like 10 minutes in the pastry section and some bastard walked right in front of me. If that happened in the States I would tell him to F*** off but here what to do?

Seems I see people cutting in line all the time. It really doesn't affect me at all, but just the idea makes me want to do something.

Is this just me? Or is this an issue in Bangkok? Or have I just not let go of my USA attitude?

What do you do?

What I have done is I cut in front of them! For example I was in a shopping center in Bangkok. I was at the counter speaking my order. It was my turn. I was ordering a Milo chocolate drink. A Thai man cut in front of me. Mind you their must have been only a couple of inches between me and the counter. I stepped to the side in front of this person. Sort of slid down the counter. I put my arm straight out sort of blocking this person. I am no muscle man and am in my 50's. Though I am not tiny in size either. Slightly above average in build. The point is that I don't think that my mere physicality is intimidating to any one. This other person was taller and younger than myself though no teenager either. This person remained silent. I made my order. I then turned around without expressing any facial anger and in a soft low volume. I said that is rude any where in the world. He said nothing. He probably spoke no Englsih any how. I think that he got the point.

Why do I think some Thais do this. Well of course this behavior is not exclusive to Thailand and Thai people. However, I have noticed this behavior more frequently in Thailand. First their is a sort of arrogance that may motivate this. Thais are very class conscious. Many think that they are simply better than some one else because they are Thai. This arrogant view of course is not exclussively Thai. Second as the English say they are taking the piss. They know that most Thai people will not say anything. They take advantage of this knowledge and get accustomed to using this sort of bullying tactic.

I have observed this sort of behavior in lines at banks. For instance. A lot of people mostly Thais are in line for a long time. Here comes one of these cue jumpers. It is funny the Thais tend to say nothing. But you may observe if you look carefuly that They look at you if you are Farang as if to say you are Farng you can say something. When you do you can see slight cues from Thai faces that seem to like that you spoke up. If you do this speak up in a firm soft low volume. The perpertrators often them sheepishly go back to their place in line.

But their are provisos. First, best to say nothing to people who are obviously drunk, on drugs, or look like a real thug. Discretion is then the better side of valor in these instances.

If you let some people walk all over you they surely will. "Farng don't like".

It really irritates me, and in the mornings often there will be queue jumpers at the MRT counter. I have to say though, the staff at Lat Phrao MRT are great, they send them to the back of the queue.

If someone cuts in front of me while driving on the road I just accept they are in a hurry or whatever and gladly let them move on to their next target. But queue jumping seems personal to me as they size me up and kick me down in full view of the attendant and everyone else. That gets the blood flowing.

When it happens at an immigration office I dare not risk escalating a situation that might impact my visa situation in front of the officers. I have had bad experiences in this area, the worst was patiently waiting several hours and on my turn an agent arrives and butts in as if I wasn't there and slams a huge pile of applications on the counter. I stood still, looking at the officer but the officer did not look back but rather started taking his stuff so I eventually went back to my chair for what seemed an eternity for the agents apps to clear before I was called again.

I almost never do anything to queue jumpers but once I did. At a skytrain stop I was patiently standing in line with everyone else waiting for the next train as I have done countless times. There wasn't much space in front of me, but there was enough for someone to squeeze in. And that is exactly what happens, a girl 20 something just squeezes right there in front of me. The lines were not long and I could care less where I end up in line as it's a short hop and standing/seating doesn't matter to me. But I decided to try an experiment to better understand this cutting in behavior. In front of her there was now not enough space to squeeze a person in, but I shouldered my way in anyway, forcing her back a bit. I was curious what her reaction would be and she just looked at me like how arrogant and that was that.

I remember while in my high school cafeteria in the states, I (a shy, skinny, bespectacled kid) had the ace school football jock step in front of me in a line. Everybody, including all the girls, looked at me and waited to see what I would do. I had to do something or forever be humiliated I thought. I reached up, dumped my coke over his head and walked away. He ended up being the humiliated one, but my heart pounded for the next hour.

Yes, thats definately one thing that happens alot in Thailand.

Its kind of like the idiots that try to get into the lift before the people inside it get out.

Pathetic people only concerned for themselves. :)

Same as when your driving they just pull out in front of you or cut in :D no manners at all.... :D or road sence.

Now I do same :D play them at there own game.

Yes, thats definately one thing that happens alot in Thailand.

Its kind of like the idiots that try to get into the lift before the people inside it get out.

Pathetic people only concerned for themselves. :)

Man you just mentioned my favorite bitc_. The fools rushing into the elevator before people can get off.

Plus about every time I go into a 7-11 someone will jump in front of me. I don't do anything ( what can you do) I just smile and wait it out.

I did get a bit narked when i was waiting patiently at immigration in Chiang Mai, to the side of a man who was being served (not good to stand behind as its a passing area for others, so the polite thing to do is to stand to the side out of the way). When he walked away a little old(ish) lady dived into the spot with her passport and documents thrust out. Was a bit startled, but i didnt mind too much giving up my place to her (as she was old). But i was only after an application form.. So..i decided to ask the girl behind the counter if i could have a form. She looked up (obviously hadnt noticed me there before) and gave me a disgusted look and said "wait please!", and served the old lady. Although not really the girls fault, i didnt appreciate being admonished for something when i had been the one waiting for quite a while. :) I looked at the old lady who just gave an evil little smirk! Sheesh.. cant win...

Que jumping is a fact of life in Thailand. I don't like it but if it really starts to bother me, I'll pack up and go somewhere else. And as other posters have pointed out, its relative, try China, 555+

The last time I renewed my retirement visa, I waited a couple of hours before my number was called. I presented my documents and the clerk began to process me. Five minutes into the process an Indian gentleman pops down in the seat beside me. I asked him why he was jumping the line and he told me that this was his second trip for his visa extension. The clerk picked up that I wasn't happy and asked me "You want come back two time? Chai mai?" They then discuseed me in Thai, saying that foreigners never understand, yada, yada, yada.

It just part of the expat experience and I usually fit in and get along. When it starts to really bug me, I'll sky up and move to greener pastures :)

I asked him why he was jumping the line and he told me that this was his second trip for his visa extension.
This is normal not to have to wait in line again if you have been in an office before and are coming back a second time to complete a detail. I think most of us would have understood that. Cheers.

Manners, and thinking about others, does not exist in Thailand, probably not at all in asia. It's better in ex colonial countries though.

I will calmly say... excuse me and inform them that there is already a line and where the end of the line is... I will also point to the end of the line and then continue to stare them directly in the eyes until they leave. (I do this with a smile and in Thai).

In the past this has always been effective...

There have been a few occasions where I have lost my temper, but I always try polite but firm first.

In Pattaya at least, I have seen some improvement in this with 7-11 clerks. I have observed on numerous occasions the clerk noticed the jumper and served the correct person. Perhaps they are being trained that way.

I wish they were like that across the kingdom. I've lost count of the number of times in 7-11 that I've reached the front of the queue for the cashier nearest the door and some complete a-hole has just walked right in, stepped in front of me and ordered 20 Marlboro before I've had chance to set my goods down on the counter. As another poster said, it ain't a cultural thing, it's just out and out rudeness and I generally meet it with a very loud and exaggerated clearing of the throat and my best steel dagger stare.

Air Asia flight back from KL to BKK, some wannabe hi-so Thai woman and her two teenage girls pushed in front of me in the immigration line at KUL. I get in front of them, turn to her, and say "I was first!", and she gives me an evil look, and says "Never mind". Says I: "Actually I do!", and turn my back.

But then, as we're about to board the plane, I note she's at the front of the boarding queue (with many people behind her). It was the highlight of my life to date to be able to go right up to the front next to her, show the counter-guy my ticket with Express Boarding on it (200THB extra!), and board in front of her, throwing her a casual "You must be lo-so to be queuing" glance as I did. Good Lord did that feel good. Almost as good as when she tried to move, mid-flight, to the roomier Exit Row seats where I was sat, to be told by the air hostess that her and her clan couldn't sit there, as these seats were for premium customers only. Muahahahahahahaha.

Compared to China, where I lived for two years, cutting in line here is nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try India :)

never been to china, other than the airport in hong kong. but i've been to many places.

but the absolute worst place i have been for cutting in line is india....no other place comes close.

i can feel my blood pressure rising as i type this....