Need Help With English Program Universities In Thailand

superbowl

I really considering going to Thailand for school in the Spring of 2010. My major would probably be Hospitality and Tourism Managment. Main Reasons for going is the cost of school and living as I cna not afford it in my home country at this time. Secondly, the way of life and culture appeals to me in many ways. I have been there before. I am looking for reccomendations on good universities with english speaking programs. Preferably in Bangkok or close to Bangkok but other schools in thailand are not out of the picture.

The ones that look good to me are Assumption, Bangkok U, Mahidol U, Silpakorn U, Shinawatra U. The one that is pulling my attention the most is Stamford University.. They seem to have a good program there. Webster University is too expensive for me. Any Details or help would be widely appreciated. I need a school that is not horribly difficult to get into as well, due to large amounts of travel in my youth, my high school transcript is not anything special. I do have the degree though. Thanks Again!!! :)

Anyone?

If you can afford the school fees of US$5,000 - US$10,000 per term you can apply to any. Then you will need you accommodation and living.

AND THAI schools are not easy to get in to!they are far more advanced than western schools!

You will need to get a student Visa...

Assumption or ABAC as Thai's call it would be my number one choice. Its the best known international university in Thailand. I had a lot of friends go there, and they have nothing but good things to say about it. As for Stamford, avoid it like the plague, I went there for one semester and it was the biggest waste of time, its like going back to high school really as long as you money anyone can go there. I was surprised at some of the teachers they hired, one of them was openly gay and "dating" one of his students, and another guy was racist towards men and would give passing grades to women. As for as I know they both still teach there.

Anyone?

If you can afford the school fees of US$5,000 - US$10,000 per term you can apply to any. Then you will need you accommodation and living.

AND THAI schools are not easy to get in to!they are far more advanced than western schools!

Yes and I heard that schools in Somalia are even more difficult to get into and far more advanced than Thai schools. By the transitive property this makes....? Just kidding.

jboras was being sarcastic or does not have a clue what he is talking about. $5000 - $10000 buys you three terms almost depending on where you enrol.

I know the program at Bangkok U is not too bad. In terms of reputation, Mahidol U may not be well known outside of Thailand or Asia, but its academic standards and requirements are quite high. From that point of view it may give you a very good cost/ educational level trade off. On the other side, which Thai Uni is very well reputed outside? Dont mean that offensive, since most employers/ academic institutions in the west simply dont know them and go by the curriculums you studied to assess their value (in terms of credit points recognised). Chula and Thamasat may be known to some extent, but I can promise ya that 95% of employers in Europe, US, OZ have never heard of them either!

Anyone?

Yes and I heard that schools in Somalia are even more difficult to get into and far more advanced than Thai schools. By the transitive property this makes....? Just kidding.

jboras was being sarcastic or does not have a clue what he is talking about. $5000 - $10000 buys you three terms almost depending on where you enrol.

I know the program at Bangkok U is not too bad. In terms of reputation, Mahidol U may not be well known outside of Thailand or Asia, but its academic standards and requirements are quite high. From that point of view it may give you a very good cost/ educational level trade off. On the other side, which Thai Uni is very well reputed outside? Dont mean that offensive, since most employers/ academic institutions in the west simply dont know them and go by the curriculums you studied to assess their value (in terms of credit points recognised). Chula and Thamasat may be known to some extent, but I can promise ya that 95% of employers in Europe, US, OZ have never heard of them either!

I am a western lecturer in a highly respected Thai university, I've been in Thailand for two decades, my comments:

- It's true that not many Thai university are broadly known overseas. On the other hand several Thai universities have an impressive and long-term track record of first place / second place in various international competitions. (I'm talking about prestigiuos competitions.)

- St..... is not a good idea.

- ABAC is not as good as has ben described earlier, and the open discussion your probably lookin for is not the teaching style.

- Madidol is a first class university, not easy to enter but good quality, very receptive to exchange students / foreign students.

- Silpakorn is impressive.

- Unfortuntely my university doesn't have a hospitality faculty.

I can say from experience (1st and 2nd hand) that Thai Unis are not well known in the industry (EU and OZ for sure, US I think so too but dont know a 100%). This does not mean that you as an applicant are disadvantaged - often it gets you an interview because people are curious.

Edited by emsfeld

I can say from experience (1st and 2nd hand) that Thai Unis are not well known in the industry (EU and OZ for sure, US I think so too but dont know a 100%). This does not mean that you as an applicant are disadvantaged - often it gets you an interview because people are curious. Note that I am saying this coming from a Financial Services background. This may not apply to every/ any industry.

Edited by emsfeld

Just remembered, didn't Stamford U get told off by the Ministry of Education (MoE) this year because of their deteriorating academic standards??? I can also only advise against this uni as it's reputation has been poor since I first came to Thailand (10 years ago).

@barry

If it's the Asian Institute of Technology, then it has an excellent reputation. I cant comment on their courses though. Judging by the quality of their graduates, AIT must be pretty good.

Well I go to Bangkok University, I'm farang, and I'm studying computer graphics and multimedia there. Its a good school, not over-priced, and the staff is very easy to communicate with. It's a very laid back atmosphere at the uni itself, and they've renovated recently, making labs and such much nicer and classrooms very well designed. You'll have to wear a uniform, but most teachers don't enforce it and I usually wear jeans and my school shirt.

I would avoid Abac... they're a joke. Before finding out about BUIC I checked out abac, they didnt ask what I wanted to study, didnt even look at my grades, and barely speaking english handed me a slip that said "please deposit 1000 US dollars into this account, then you can register!"

... how nice.

but yeah, check out BUIC... heres the site

www.bu.ac.th

Thanks for the help everyone!! Alright so it looks like Bangkok U, Asian U, Madidol U, and Silpakorn U are the ones for me to look into. I´m glad I got the word on Stamford and it looks like Assumption is out as well. Anyone have any details on what the ones that I am going to look further into are like? Any other thoughts are welcomed and greatly appreicated. Thanks in Advance!

FYI. NOT Asian U. I am talking about Asian Institute of Technology. I know that there is an Asian U, but have never heard anything about their programs nor heard feedback from domestic/ international graduates. I also dont know whether Asian U and Asian Institue of Technology are affiliated in any form.

Webster is too much for me... It would be cheaper at that point for me to go to state school in the states. I would much rather get this degree internationally as well as I would like to show that I have the ability to live and travel in other countries. As I have had to do my whole life. AIT I dont belive has the right programs for me and is to far outside of bangkok. However, correct me if I am wrong on anything. I think I am going to look into the ones I listed above. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for the help.

Webster is too much for me... It would be cheaper at that point for me to go to state school in the states. I would much rather get this degree internationally as well as I would like to show that I have the ability to live and travel in other countries. As I have had to do my whole life. AIT I dont belive has the right programs for me and is to far outside of bangkok. However, correct me if I am wrong on anything. I think I am going to look into the ones I listed above. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for the help.

I would suggest Chula then... Very center of BKK.

I used to take a TOEFL course there, it was funny to studied English from Thai teachers.

If its possible I would have choose native English speaking but too late anyway.

Maybe you can find a part time job durring your study. :)

Good luck :D

http://www.inter.chula.ac.th/inter/interna...dents/frame.htm

I would suggest Chula then... Very center of BKK.

I used to take a TOEFL course there, it was funny to studied English from Thai teachers.

If its possible I would have choose native English speaking but too late anyway.

Maybe you can find a part time job durring your study. :)

Good luck :D

http://www.inter.chula.ac.th/inter/interna...dents/frame.htm

Chula is pretty decent too? Hard to get into? Good Rep? I was thinking I would get my tefl there before classes start and then do a part time job teaching while studying... I just hope it would not be too much to handle. Thanks and any other thoughts are widely appreciated.