Decision On Democrat’s Election Funding Case Within The Week

george

What difference does it make which party? This government refuses to follow the money. Follow the money and get rid of the thieves who benefited. Some people are naive enough to blame individual political parties. Thieves easily change parties. No political party including the ones that were dissolved stole money, PEOPLE stole money.

Vote buying? Why buy votes when you can bribe the people who are elected? That money bought politicians and are are simple bribes.

Edited by Gary A

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a rest, lost cause.

Very much agree.

If there is no legitimate update to this news thread, any uncalled for bumps to it should be deleted.

No need for curious members to come to this thread to read new news on it, only to find some cloddish post bumping it up unnecessarily in the news index.

Nice one.

- further nonsense snipped -

Do you have an update on this 8 month-old thread or not?

Not you again! Are you competing with permanent_disorder for the 'I got banned from Thaivisa the most' award?

I see now that Thaksins ex and her kids are appealing the earlier Military Junta appointed judiciary decision.

Whilst they have every right to do so, I fear that it will just give the Military Junta appointed judiciary more excuse to further delay the court hearing of the dums 258million appointed election funding .

There is every chance that the dums party will be dissolved.

The greatest issue in thai politics at the moment, but its no suprise that the appointed judiciary arn't going there..

• 2 weeks later...
Animatic ponders a setup
Well there is ONE guy saying he did this and that with money.

It is EASY to buy one guy in Thailand for most any purpose.

Like sending relatively small amounts to many, many Dem pol's accounts,

and they look and see a small windfall from a constituent, and don't question it.

When in reality it was an extended effort to make the appearance of an

Dem organized umbrella of corruption.

Beyond the pale here in the Land of Shinola?

Not hardly.

It's as easy to believe the thing was a set up from day one, as it is corruption from day one.

Given the dems past history of corruption I would be suprised if the allegations were not true. That said, I would also be quite suprised if the Dems are found guilty, the EC has their marching orders! :)

Looks like the people have got fed up of the justice stalling tactics of the Military Junta appointed EC commission over the illegal 258million donation to the dems, and decided to take a leaf out of the Military Junta book , and appoint their own EC commission to give judgement.icon6.gif

Like they say, if something needs doing, do it yerself!

I see now that Thaksins ex and her kids are appealing the earlier Military Junta appointed judiciary decision.

Whilst they have every right to do so, I fear that it will just give the Military Junta appointed judiciary more excuse to further delay the court hearing of the dums 258million appointed election funding .

The greatest issue in thai politics at the moment, but its no suprise that the appointed judiciary arn't going there..

Did the Military Junta appoint anyone to the judiciary?

Or are you just making things up again?

Indeed they did - cleaned house, so to speak and put their own people in.

It would be quite comical if the EC dissolved the DEM party, but I doubt they will hold them to the same standard as Khun T's supporting parties.

It would be quite comical if the EC dissolved the DEM party, but I doubt they will hold them to the same standard as Khun T's supporting parties.

When did that happen?

Names??

Silence is Golden!!

Can you go the the web site of the Election Commission and then identify which ECs were appointed by the military?? One of them was appointed in 2009 so he wasn't (at least not directly). Anyway it would be helpful if you named those who got there by the military 'cleaning house'. Easy to do. Identify which ones.

Mr. Apichart Sukhagganond (Chairman)

Mr. Prapon Naigowit

Dr. Sodsri Satayathum

Mr. Somchai Jeungprasert

Mr. Wisut Potitaen

So which of these are you saying was appointed by the military? Or are you saying that any commissioner appointed after September 2006 was? I'm confused.

Suchart in favour of dropping Democrat dissolution case

Election Commission chairman Suchart Sukhagganond, speaking in his capacity as the registrar of political parties, on Friday voiced his legal opinion in favour of dropping the party dissolution case involving the Democrats.

"I agree with the majority opinion of the investigative panel finding no cause to suspect wrongdoing by the Democrats related to the Bt258 campaign contributions," he said.

As EC chairman, Suchart voted on Thursday to acquit the Democrats. But three of five EC members decided to refer the case for a review by the registrar of political parties instead of forming a decision on the issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 18 dec 2009

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa. Double standards at its best. :)

If they don't, they will need to explain their reasons VERY clearly.

The problem is, this isn't an open and shut case as the PPP decision was. The PPP execs were caught red handed involved in election fraud, and the law was clear: Party dissolution of the executive are involved.

This one seems a bit grey with the shaky evidence, and even if the evidence is valid, the result may not be a straight forward dissolution.

Having said that, I know very little about the case, or the laws surrounding it.

Different circumstances, different situation, different results.

Of course the reds will still scream "Double Standards". They expect only a dissolution, regardless of the evidence or the law.

Election Commission chairman Suchart Sukhagganond, speaking in his capacity as the registrar of political parties, on Friday voiced his legal opinion in favour of dropping the party dissolution case involving the Democrats.

"I agree with the majority opinion of the investigative panel finding no cause to suspect wrongdoing by the Democrats related to the Bt258 campaign contributions," he said.

As EC chairman, Suchart voted on Thursday to acquit the Democrats. But three of five EC members decided to refer the case for a review by the registrar of political parties instead of forming a decision on the issue.

nationlogo.jpg

Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa. Double standards at its best. :)

It's only a double standard if Suchart has found them not guilty when in fact they are guilty right? So what you're saying that Suchart is wrong to suggest that the party isn't guilty. His decision is wrong in fact and law?

Or perhaps you're saying that the Election Commission must always find the defendants guilty since not to do so would be a double standard?

The real truth about Thailand is all political parties buy votes.

They have done for decades.

Now while in the Yellow owned media it might be fashionable to scream and shout it was Thaksin and TRT, they quite happily avoid saying "all parties did and do" this. Therefore it balances itself out.

Now, in order to pay these "windfall" packets to voters the Democrats, PTP and all the other parties have sponsers...... just like all those that gave 600 million dollars to Obama's team to get him elected.

And all these sponsers obviously get awarded meaty government contracts to get their money, and profit, back on the deal.

However, it would appears that rather than play by the book, someone got caught and the paper trail shows a direct breach of the election law, punishable by dissolution, occured.

What is good for the goose is good for the ganda.

So TRT and then PPP have been dissolved and now it is the turn of the Democrats to be dissolved. They have "got away with it" twice before, however this time it looks like the evidence is just too damning, and this is why the case is not being delayed and delayed and the plan is to delay it at least another 18 months.

The Reds are rightly pushing to get it sorted now.

It might actually serve as the ideal "solution' to these problems, in the same way the PPP was disbanded and the Yellows shut up, now its time for the Democrats to be disbanded and then the Reds will shut up.

Easy way out for all, lets hope that finally someone is not too scared to disband the Democrats.

nationlogo.jpg

It's only a double standard if Suchart has found them not guilty when in fact they are guilty right? So what you're saying that Suchart is wrong to suggest that the party isn't guilty. His decision is wrong in fact and law?

Or perhaps you're saying that the Election Commission must always find the defendants guilty since not to do so would be a double standard?

It's clearly a double standard because he voted to acquit the Democrats, when clearly they are guilty. They can't receive more than 10 million Baht per year, according to Thai law, from one single individual or one single company. However they received over 250 million Baht in one year from one person. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Now while in the Yellow owned media it might be fashionable to scream and shout it was Thaksin and TRT, they quite happily avoid saying "all parties did and do" this. Therefore it balances itself out.

Now, in order to pay these "windfall" packets to voters the Democrats, PTP and all the other parties have sponsers...... just like all those that gave 600 million dollars to Obama's team to get him elected.

And all these sponsers obviously get awarded meaty government contracts to get their money, and profit, back on the deal.

However, it would appears that rather than play by the book, someone got caught and the paper trail shows a direct breach of the election law, punishable by dissolution, occured.

So TRT and then PPP have been dissolved and now it is the turn of the Democrats to be dissolved. They have "got away with it" twice before, however this time it looks like the evidence is just too damning, and this is why the case is not being delayed and delayed and the plan is to delay it at least another 18 months.

It might actually serve as the ideal "solution' to these problems, in the same way the PPP was disbanded and the Yellows shut up, now its time for the Democrats to be disbanded and then the Reds will shut up.

Easy way out for all, lets hope that finally someone is not too scared to disband the Democrats.

But the case against the Democrats isn't about buying votes, I'm sure they do, but this case is over a donation of couple of hundred million baht to the part by TPI Polene.

<snip>

<snip>

Well, that's the big question isnt' it.

Did someone get caught? Does the paper trail show anything, let alone a "direct breach of the election law"? And is that, if true, punishable by dissolution?

I am certainly not saying it didn't happen, but it seems you know all the facts about this case, so maybe you can point me to where all the details are.

nationlogo.jpg

It's clearly a double standard because he voted to acquit the Democrats, when clearly they are guilty. They can't receive more than 10 million Baht per year, according to Thai law, from one single individual or one single company. However they received over 250 million Baht in one year from one person. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

That is the allegation at this stage. An allegation that they are deliberating on. We don't yet know the Commission's finding or the reasoning that they presumably will give for it. Once the decision of the court is in, with that reasoning, it would then be appropriate to talk of double standards. Surely not before the decision? The decision of the court shouldn't be preempted.

But the case against the Democrats isn't about buying votes, I'm sure they do, but this case is over a donation of couple of hundred million baht to the part by TPI Polene.

Yes, the paper trail is there and obviously end of the day such large donations often go towards vote buying.

However, the issue is here that the bank accounts clearly show the money trail the "excuse" trying to be made is to try to say the accounts are not linked and therefore there is no case.

EG I give 200 baht to Jack, who gives it to Jill and who gives it to Fred, pre-ageeed.

Actually I have given Fred 200 baht.

I can say I never gave him 200 baht and I do not know who Jill is.

Pretty simple way of looking at the case here. Its blatently obvious what happened, but people are trying to muddy the waters and come up with a flimsy reason why the elite sponsered Democrats should again avoid dissolution.

A similar case may be Thaksin and the land buying by his wife.

He had nothing to do with the deal, his wife and the seller were found guilty of nothing, but Thaksin was the only one found guilty based on "association" even though he had no direct influence of knowledge of the deal.

Again, in the Takky case he is found guilty - no excuses.

In the Democrats case everyone is expecting them to be found not guilty based on a flimsy excuse, one which could not be used by anyone in TRT/PPP as the courts would throw it out.

Sadly it all boils down presently to what is nearly a, coup appointed EC, coup appointed Assets Examination Committee and coup appointed top judiciary.

They all appear to be anti TRT, PPP, PTP, Thaksin etc... and pro-elite, Democrats etc..... to such an extent that "double standards" are now becoming the new standard.

Which is why the people are now in red shirts demanding an end to the double standards and to get democracy back.

Yes, the paper trail is there and obviously end of the day such large donations often go towards vote buying.

However, the issue is here that the bank accounts clearly show the money trail the "excuse" trying to be made is to try to say the accounts are not linked and therefore there is no case.

EG I give 200 baht to Jack, who gives it to Jill and who gives it to Fred, pre-ageeed.

Pretty simple way of looking at the case here. Its blatently obvious what happened, but people are trying to muddy the waters and come up with a flimsy reason why the elite sponsered Democrats should again avoid dissolution.

He had nothing to do with the deal, his wife and the seller were found guilty of nothing, but Thaksin was the only one found guilty based on "association" even though he had no direct influence of knowledge of the deal.

In the Democrats case everyone is expecting them to be found not guilty based on a flimsy excuse, one which could not be used by anyone in TRT/PPP as the courts would throw it out.

Sadly it all boils down presently to what is nearly a, coup appointed EC, coup appointed Assets Examination Committee and coup appointed top judiciary.

They all appear to be anti TRT, PPP, PTP, Thaksin etc... and pro-elite, Democrats etc..... to such an extent that "double standards" are now becoming the new standard.

Which is why the people are now in red shirts demanding an end to the double standards and to get democracy back.

I have to admit that there is no possible response to this reasoning, from the first sentence (which is a wonder in itself) to the last :)

Very well explained. Thumbs up. :)

They brought up donation case from five years ago. Party leadership has completely changed since then, Sec General is even working for another party. Waste of everybody's time.

If Dems managed to keep those extra funds off the books it's impossible to dissolve the party itself - it was individuals cheating on party own rules and regulations, if they can prove even that.

During the no confidence motion a few months ago the only evidence linking the party to the funds was one little fax sent TO party provincial office. It could have been for anybody who was there at the time and for any business. "Can I use your fax machine, someone's trying to send me some documents" - "Sure, you know the number".

:)

case looks like a fit-up, tho' it is of concern that the case was not expedited in the time frame mentioned in the OP.

Edited by dobadoy

1) You make blatant and unsupportable accusations that the money was used for vote buying. There is no proof of this, so in fact it is you who is muddying waters here.

2) In order to convict and dissolve the Democrat Party there would need to be iron-clad proof of the 'pre-agreed' part. There is no such proof.

3) There is no comparison between either the Democrat donations case or the PPP dissolution case or in the Thaksin Ratchadapisek land case. It is useless to compare them because they have nothing to do with each other. the crimes are not the same. The evidence is not the same. Again you poorly attempt to muddy waters now for a later double standards argument.

4) You then say that if similar arguments were presented by PPP then they would have been thrown out of court. Again, these cases are not at all the same, much as you might wish them to be.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

They brought up donation case from five years ago. Party leadership has completely changed since then, Sec General is even working for another party. Waste of everybody's time.

If Dems managed to keep those extra funds off the books it's impossible to dissolve the party itself - it was individuals cheating on party own rules and regulations, if they can prove even that.

During the no confidence motion a few months ago the only evidence linking the party to the funds was one little fax sent TO party provincial office. It could have been for anybody who was there at the time and for any business. "Can I use your fax machine, someone's trying to send me some documents" - "Sure, you know the number".

:)

case looks like a fit-up, tho' it is of concern that the case was not expedited in the time frame mentioned in the OP.

TIT ... nothing is expedited. Thaksin still has cases outstanding against him from years ago.

This case is the most important issue in thailand at present.

The current thai government, although unelected, may still nevertheless be illegal.

The EC and the courts have been quick to say Thaksin had assets through proxies.

But that same EC and courts wont say the dems took illegitimate cash from TP proxies. 1 year now?

They are stalling justice to dissolve the dems and are allowing a fraudulent government to contine on two counts.

For weeks Thaksin apologists have been saying that they not.

Certainly not.

But now they are being flushed out.

And talking about their issue of first importance.

Thaksin.

We look forward to their line by line rebuttal of the money laundering convictions.

Their legal wizardry will amaze.

It will amount to purely discarding the evidence and attacking the judges, where the evidence is inconvenient.

But let us not forget the events leading up to the coup which exercises our red flag wavers.

Thaksin was trying to push his cronies into the heading of the army and conclude his strangulation of state institutions.

Thaksin's real objection to the coup is that the other side beat him to it.

Don't be fooled by the reds ersatz democracy.

It is not what they are after.

Is this issue the one that allows the reds to go home. EC disolves is meaninngless as it goes to the court but it may allow reds to claim victory and go home and leave the government still in powrr. There is no way the Dems will go to election while facing disolution justy as PPP before them bottled that one big time

There are some in the elite who would like to see the Dems disbanded as the politcal mess created by having every politcal party disolved would create opportunites for politcal "reform" of a style they may like.

Korn is the coming man. He is not involved in the scandal. Korn joined the party just before the 2005 election. After the Democrats loss Korn came into a deputy position as one of the new faces. That means he will not get banned from politics after the Democrats dissolution. He has a top education and convincing concept how to bring the country forward. Foreign investors trust him. He has the support of the Bangkokians, the business people and the 'elite' (when you want use that word). There is no question that Korn is a true and honest royalist, ready to serve Thailand.

It is clear, with the current mob democracy and instability the country suffer. A reform with a part-elected part-selected house can be the solution to provide good politics for all people. Bring an end to old politics, corruption and politicians with vested interests. who promise everything to get re-elected. :)

My guess is that Korn will join the NPP, they will be strong in Bangkok. The 'new Democrats' will stay strong in the south and get additional support in the North. With the red shirt desaster in Bangkok and the recent govt projects kicking in only few people will left who hope for a Thaksin comeback. The EC decision is also only a recommendation for the court, it will take a couple of month more until the final judgment. Plenty time to counter Thaksin, who is running out of time and out of money. :D

I feel sad for Abhisit, but its a healthy cleaning process and the new Democrats will have a strong comeback with a fresh team and the next government will be a dems & NPP coalition. :D