I Dream Of Jeannie

dumbnewbie

God I love this show. Been watching some re-runs lately. It occured to me that this show is probably a favorite of other Thai Visa members. You gotta love this show, right? I mean what a babe! Great body, always smiling... so sweet-natured... always wanting to please her guy... kinda like Thai girls, no? Not exactly, no, of course not. But might there be something here?

Something else just occured to me. Thai culture, like Middle Eastern cultures around the time of Western colonialism, had a tradition of harems and dancing girls... something I don't think ever existed in the West, with it's tradition of puritanical Christian monogamy. (Blech!) :)

Something else occured to me... not even 35 years ago we Westerners still perceived the Middle East as a pretty benign, exotic, even sexy or romantic place (thus a show like I Dream of Jeannie). How things change. How terribly sad. Some of those countries were really making progress between the 1920's and 1970's. But for more than 30 years now those countries have been going in reverse, and at an increasingly rapid pace. Just really sad.

I hope nothing like that ever happens to Thailand. Cambodia used to be like Thailand... then the war, the Khmer Rouge, the Vietnamese and their puppet changed all that. Long live the King and the gentle, fun-loving traditional Thai culture!

I watched a documentary recently, ...I can't remember the title.... (Hollywood And The Arabs????) It was all about how Hollywood has a history of villifying the Middle East: Arabs are always the bad guys, whether of old with flashing scimitars or in Saville Row suits with hidden uzis. The evil Persian djinn. Even cartoons (Alladin was cited).Sometimes the villification is subtle as with Jeannie because she was portrayed as not too smart, prone to sulking, and subservient.

Yeah, Barbara Eden (was it?) was cute with those slightly oriental eyes.

I'd give my eye teeth for my very own Jeannie in a bottle. A beautiful woman who, in the blink of an eye, could produce a magnificent feast or transport me to a desert island for a day of fishing.

Dreams are free. :)

I watched a documentary recently, ...I can't remember the title.... (Hollywood And The Arabs????) It was all about how Hollywood has a history of villifying the Middle East: Arabs are always the bad guys, whether of old with flashing scimitars or in Saville Row suits with hidden uzis. The evil Persian djinn. Even cartoons (Alladin was cited).Sometimes the villification is subtle as with Jeannie because she was portrayed as not too smart, prone to sulking, and subservient.

Yeah, those evil Jews vilifying those poor Muslims. :)

C'mon - who else are you going to vilify? Does anyone on earth make better villains than Nazis and Muslims? You think you can make a movie where the bad guys are Buddhist or Baha'i? To be fair Hollywood has also vilified the KKK and other neo-Nazis. They haven't exactly been kind to America and Israel either. I only wish they did more to vilify Commies, who killed more people in the 20th century than everyone else put together, Americans, Israelis and Nazis included.

Barbara Eden (was it?)

Indeed it was!

I'd give my eye teeth for my very own Jeannie in a bottle. A beautiful woman who, in the blink of an eye, could produce a magnificent feast or transport me to a desert island for a day of fishing.

Dreams are free. :D

Yeah, dreams are free. But some people are actually living the dream (various dictators and oil sheikhs, and most probably The Man as well). You can imagine they don't have just one "Jeannie", but hundreds or even thousands. Who says harems are a thing of the past?

Edited by dumbnewbie

That show was great at the time .Barbra Eden was a babe and kept her good looks for many years as she played parts in B movies .She is 75 years old now .Here is an interview with her on youtube .She is still a lovely lady .

Edited by Thaifan2

I get the feeling you guys were watching these shows when they were new. Which make you old timers.

I Dream of Jeannie I have heard of and might have seen a re-run in my kiddie years.

Married with Children was more my thing. Kelly? Oh yeah! Ass!, small tits, and those lovely lips.

Then I saw Lucy Liu... Something deep inside stirred and awoke. All down hill from there.

post-63608-1251456236_thumb.jpg