Oklahoma Woman Works To Free Slaves In Bangkok’s

churchill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What gets me is, it's as if the local scene doesn't exist with these people.

What is the estimate? I remember reading some 450,000 Thai men visit a prostitute every day?

Maybe it's because the likes of Nana, Cowboy and Patpong are in your face.

But even if there were areas like that for the locals I would guess she'd have her head in the sand.

She'd be run out of town anyway if she dreamed of approaching a Thai brothel.

She can get away with it in Cowboy because she is surrounded by foreigners who'd view her as just another religious nutter trying to flog a dead horse.

The money to do all of this comes from donations from somewhere.

The truth is that this woman is trying to "save" people who don't want to be saved, who make a good salary and are fairly content with their lives.

If nothing else, she is wasting lots of money that could be used to feed the hungry and cure the sick. "Naive" is way too nice a word for her. :)

Thank God there are people like Celeste McGee in this world. What some don't understand is that she is gaining merit by j attempting to help these prostitutes and not by how often she is successful.

Thanks churchill for starting this topic.

My usual advice is "let Thais fix the problems of Thailand." But they don't.
This post didn't get a response, so I'll elaborate.

Most expats hate Xtian missionaries and foreign NGO do-gooders. Fine. So, if Thailand has such an obvious problem with Thai prostitutes being abused mostly by Thais and slightly by farang, let the Thais solve the problem. Same with stray animals, police bribes, corrupt politics, etc. Let the Thais solve it. And when Thais don't, let them suffer the socio-economic-spiritual consequences. Bad karma for Thai culture; som na nah.

My usual advice is "let Thais fix the problems of Thailand." But they don't.
This post didn't get a response, so I'll elaborate.

Most expats hate Xtian missionaries and foreign NGO do-gooders. Fine. So, if Thailand has such an obvious problem with Thai prostitutes being abused mostly by Thais and slightly by farang, let the Thais solve the problem. Same with stray animals, police bribes, corrupt politics, etc. Let the Thais solve it. And when Thais don't, let them suffer the socio-economic-spiritual consequences. Bad karma for Thai culture; som na nah.

I have to wonder why some people come to Thailand. I like the adventure that the stray animals, police bribes and corrupt politics brings. It is the opposite of the lame politically correct nanny state feeling you get when you live in the west.

If I have "good intentions" and collect YOUR money on the promise of HELPING STOP SEXUAL SLAVERY but in actual fact I go and give this money to people who (A) and NOT slaves AT ALL and (B ) Will use YOUR money to PARTY am I......

(a) A good force

OR

(B ) a bad force

in the world?

I vote B and anyone voting A needs to step up and supply a solid argument as to WHY.

I cant be bothered but its a pretty easy logical step to say she is a form of CRIMINAL IGNORAMUS.

Rather succinctly put Will. The woman is a menace.

Oh, and I wonder how many guys out there have paid one of these young ladies a fair amount of baht per month to stay out of this terrible buisness, only to find that as soon as their ass is on the plane they're straight back on the pole.

Let's forget being PC for a moment.

Q: Why do you think well paid (supported) girls head back to the pole in such a hurry?

A: They enjoy their work.

Rubbish - most are addicted to drugs or alcohol and it's the only way they know to get money.

If they are supported by Fred the 50 year old fat baldy butcher from Scunthorpe, they'll maybe go back to find a better model.

I strongly object to being personaly brought into this debate - surely this is against forum rules :)

Fred the Butcher (Scunny)

She is the kind of hypocritical bible thumping "do gooder" American I came to Thailand to avoid. Please deny visas to these trouble makers. The USA has enough problems at home. Today there was a report that health care access is so bad in the USA that organizations that normally do outreach to the third world are finding they need to stay home in the USA to do their medical work.

Edited by Jingthing

She is the kind of hypocritical bible thumping "do gooder" American I came to Thailand to avoid. Please deny visas to these trouble makers. The USA has enough problems at home. Today there was a report that health care access is so bad in the USA that organizations that normally do outreach to the third world are finding they need to stay home in the USA to do their medical work.

Does she have a work permit?

Thank God there are people like Celeste McGee in this world. What some don't understand is that she is gaining merit by j attempting to help these prostitutes and not by how often she is successful.

But shouldn't she be helping in her own back yard. surely 'charity starts at home'

Houston is a major hub for child traffickers. (Houston's hidden crime)

A 2007 study from Shared Hope International found 400 child trafficking victims being exploited in Las Vegas in a single month.

At least 100,000 children are used in prostitution every year in the United States.

The average age of entry into prostitution is 13 years old.

(America's Trafficked Children Are Being Arrested, Not Rescued)

Could I have some of your money please? Im going to try and stop the killing of babies in Russia, by giving it all to the circus. So long as Im trying, right?

Actually the above reductio is better than what this woman is doing. In the above situation I am being up front with you about how your money will be wasted, so likely you wouldnt donate it to me. What this woman is doing is providing falsehoods as to the reality in order to pursuade you to part with your money, knowingly or not.

But then again, it could be that this woman actually used the money outside of these areas, and used their names to help raise money. Maybe she did her research, then fabricated the location and other details to help achieve her financial goal. Then maybe she went to the actual problem areas and did good work. We can hope.

Edited by OxfordWill

I wonder how any of you know that the women she has helped get out aren't grateful that someone actually give a crap about them or how so many of you know that these women "went straight back to the bars the very next day" ?

If she helps one women who wants to get out, then good for her. Or is it ok that just because a percentage, no matter how big or small, want to be in the bars that the ones who don't & who were either forced into it or have just had enough but can't find a way out should be forced to stay in the business cause it upsets the johns that someone is interfering in their fun?

I deleted a post that had no relevance to this thread. If you can provide me with the part of the article where this women claims to be a feminist then I will allow it back. If not then your attempts at taking this thread off topic are not allowed.

support(at)thaivisa.com is where you can take any complaints about it.

Absolutely, one step at a time my friend, Rome wasn't built in a day. I think a good plan would be to rescue as many girls as you can, one night at a time.

And then do what with them?

Does this mission have a plan?

Is this mission going to educate or re-train the girls in some kind of vocation?

Does this mission have some sort of a educational scholarship fund?

Are any of the girls getting visas to the U.S. for a better life?

I could go on and on with similar questions. But, my point is, it is one thing to "rescue" some of the girls...but one happens to the girls afterwards?

These NGO do-gooders always seem to forget this adage:

"Fail to plan and plan on failing."

Edited by maxjay

I just wonder if this lady knows what she is getting into- because she is effectively 'rescuing' people from businesses which support various authorities.... and her god will hopefully help her if she gets into the Thai-Thai prostitution scene, because there she won't be tolerated at all.

I generally support the efforts of NGOs except inasfar as those efforts are religiously based, or focus only on the tiny areas of social problems which are connected with foreigners. Mostly the NGOs seem to have a tacit agreement not to delve further because otherwise they would lose their welcome mat- a deal with the devil, so to speak.

Her video interview is worth watching, here again:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-woman-works-to-...ead_story_title

Highlights include:

Americans are responsible for prositution in Thailand

Ladyboys are ladyboys due to prositution

The Thai culture is loosely based on the book of John

and I had to stop watching because my girlfriend asked me why steam was coming out of my head.

Edited by OxfordWill

I just wonder if this lady knows what she is getting into- because she is effectively 'rescuing' people from businesses which support various authorities.... and her god will hopefully help her if she gets into the Thai-Thai prostitution scene, because there she won't be tolerated at all.

I generally support the efforts of NGOs except inasfar as those efforts are religiously based, or focus only on the tiny areas of social problems which are connected with foreigners. Mostly the NGOs seem to have a tacit agreement not to delve further because otherwise they would lose their welcome mat- a deal with the devil, so to speak.

Prostitution is a buisiness. Legal in some countrys - not in otheres. Legal or not it is widely accepted and tolerated. Many of our chosen leaders are not averse to using the services offered in the worlds oldest game. This girl is a naive nuisance. Many familys depend upon the income gained through the buisiness. so what is her purpose othere than some self rightious satisfaction?

Maybe we ought to start an organisation- Im going to call it "Gat Dan Yuu" (anyone get that?) and itll work to save girls "rescued" by this woman from these areas, to help them and their families survive the ordeal financially before the girls can get back to work.

The money to do all of this comes from donations from somewhere.

The truth is that this woman is trying to "save" people who don't want to be saved, who make a good salary and are fairly content with their lives.

If nothing else, she is wasting lots of money that could be used to feed the hungry and cure the sick. "Naive" is way too nice a word for her. :D

So true, many a farang has tried to save his errrm sex slave and most are not interested. Anyone living here for any length of time knows this. What an odd place for this woman to begin a project such as this. One can assume that Thailand is a more appealing home base as opposed to trying to save children worked to death in Nigerian diamond mines :)

Edited by zorro1

this woman makes me :)

and its certainty not because of this :

cause it upsets the johns that someone is interfering in their fun?

its because ms ed is scamming her doners and is spreading ignorance.

anyway i hope she reads this thread, might snap her out of her delusion.

Edited by mc2

If she helps one women who wants to get out, then good for her. Or is it ok that just because a percentage, no matter how big or small, want to be in the bars that the ones who don't & who were either forced into it or have just had enough but can't find a way out should be forced to stay in the business cause it upsets the johns that someone is interfering in their fun?

Women who work in the Western-oriented sex industry, but don't want to are anything but "fun". Most farang customers would be quite pleased if they tried something else.

They are not forced to work in Go Go Bars and it is easy to quit. Their Thai boy friends talk them into doing it to bring in cash and if they don't work, no more handsome young boyfen.

Edited by Ulysses G.

^^that would make most of the posters on this thread devil spawn to her

i suppose she thinks thailand is falling into hel_l as well , being a buddhist country and all, full of pagan unbelievers etc lol

one thing i like about the Thais is they generally don't fall for the missionary crap, mostly they just shrug their shoulders and ignore them, unless they have cash , then they might pay some attention.

deep down inside they must detect the bs

Edited by mc2

On a lighter note picture this scenario... Farang Lady walks into the beer garden in BKK and starts to approach the FREElancers working there, notice free is highlighted. She tells them one by one that she is there to save them, that they need not be slaves anymore. " please come with me where I will help you. we have free somtam and a safe house where you can stay until you can get back home and start scrubbing water buffalo again :D "

:) would be the look on their faces