What To Do At Lax

Spaniel

Next week I will be flying into LAX from Bangkok arriving at 2 PM. My connecting flight to the East coast isn't until 10:30 PM. I know it will probably take some time to get thru immigration/customs. Any suggestions on what to do for the rest of the time?

Probably better stay at the airport as Los Angeles traffic is awful at the best of times and can gridlock in a heartbeat. There is a bar/cafe in the international terminal that has various amenities - wifi, rest area, et soforth - but costs $25 for three hours' stay; open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. The terminal, undergoing a billion-dollar renovation, is a mess, and will likely remain so for another 18 months or so. The domestic terminals have more to offer if you don't mind a hike. Be very happily surprised if you encounter a pleasant customs/immigration/HSA employee. They are almost always snotty, officious and sometimes really stupid. If you want to venture afield, some nice beaches are close by, with lots of funky shops and eateries.

Next week I will be flying into LAX from Bangkok arriving at 2 PM. My connecting flight to the East coast isn't until 10:30 PM. I know it will probably take some time to get thru immigration/customs. Any suggestions on what to do for the rest of the time?

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with the other posters that you don't have many options. I drove into LAX 3 months ago from a trip through the American Southwest and had a two nights and a full day before my flight to Bangkok. I had planned to see some "stuff", but once I experienced the LA traffic, I decided against it (and I am from Washington, D.C., which is notorious for its traffic). I stayed at the Radisson Hotel, which is literally within walking distance from the terminal. Perhaps you could do that...clean up, relax, watch a little television, rest. Their prices are decent and its comfortable.

While I didn't find the terminal a mess, as some have indicated, I did find its services extremely curtailed. The food court was quite good, but crowded so badly that I usually couldn't find a place to sit. Of course, as I think about it, you will change terminals since you are coming in on an international flight and going out on a domestic flight. Not to worry...the terminals are all very close together. However, I tried to eat at the Chilis at one of the domestic terminals, but couldn't, because the restaurant was beyond security.

The few layovers I have had I did a lot of people watching. I had no camera to take pictures but its a great opportunity. The different dress/costumes as well as the characters you see outshines any airport I have been in (including those in New York) You will probably have a better understanding as to why some people refer to that part of the US as 'the land of fruits and nuts'

First thing I'd do is check with your connection and see if they have an earlier flight going that isn't full. If they do, grab it and get to your destination quicker. :)

I reckon that's the best advice, thinking out of the box :D

Depending on the day you arrive, if is a weekend traffic is not that bad, no where near is as bad as Bangkok. You can catch the FlyNow Shuttle bus to Union Station in downtown, cost about $5 the last time I used it and takes about 20 minutes, and from there you could take the subway just about anywhere. Hollywood and Highland would be where I would head too lots of stuff to do there, food sight, sight seeing and who knows maybe you could see a movie or TV show being filmed there.

But as the other people say, you might be better off just staying in LAX as traffic could be unpredictable.

Visit Santa Monica. It's a pleasant town and not all that far from the airport. Take the LAX Shuttle Bus 'C' from your terminal to the LAX Transit Center, from there take a Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" (Route 3) to downtown Santa Monica, walk around, visit the Santa Monica Pier and such. One-way fare on the Santa Monica bus is $0.75. Bus service is frequent on this line. More information on Santa Monica transit can be found at: http://www.bigbluebus.com

Cute Pic of your Dog !

LAX is normally a breeze during early afternoon and traffic should be ok too. By the time you went trough Immigration, picked your bags and dropped them again it is most likely 3pm already. I would head down to the Arrival Area and get a cab to South Bay. My preferred stop would be Manhattan Beach ( I am from Redondo Beach) which is less then 5mls South of LAX taking N Sepulveda. You can hang and relax there. Head back around 7pm and make an additional stop at Manhattan Village. Great small mall with lots of good shops (Apple etc) and a good Californian Pizza Shop. From there it is just another 10 min by bus back to LAX. I mean if you have 7 hours to kill then it is worthwhile to get out and smell some Pacific Air. Of course, the others are totally right, do not head out to Los Angeles / Hollywood / Beverly Hills etc.

First thing I'd do is check with your connection and see if they have an earlier flight going that isn't full. If they do, grab it and get to your destination quicker. :D

I reckon that's the best advice, thinking out of the box :D

agree and if that is out and you dont need to be sober at your next destination grab a cab to the nearest T--ty bar there are many in the area and it's not a bad way to spend an after noon but it will cost a few bucks. :)

Go outside and take the free Marriott Hotel shuttle. They have a Champions Bar that has really good food and lots of sports on various TV's. Then free shuttle back to airport. I believe they also have free wi-fi.

I have lived and had an office next to lax for years; I agree with the poster who said take the #3bus to Santa Monica; it goes through Marina del Rey and Venice if you don't mind a short walk to the beach. In that amount of time you can also take the green line metro train which connects to the blue line which would take you to the center of long beach or into union station-chinatown going the other way. lots to see and plenty of time to get back to lax.

Visit Santa Monica. It's a pleasant town and not all that far from the airport. Take the LAX Shuttle Bus 'C' from your terminal to the LAX Transit Center, from there take a Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" (Route 3) to downtown Santa Monica, walk around, visit the Santa Monica Pier and such. One-way fare on the Santa Monica bus is $0.75. Bus service is frequent on this line. More information on Santa Monica transit can be found at: http://www.bigbluebus.com

Id agree go to santa monica and have a bit of dinner, take a walk, have a drink you have 6 hours or so after you clear everything at least.... you could walk back in that time frame la traffic is bad but c'mon its really not that bad.... or you could go to in and out right by lax and eat burgers for 5 or 6 hours