Moo Ban Sunshine Village

st11x

G'day,

We saw a nice looking house in the moo ban on the web so we went to have a look. The house is very nice and so are the houses of some of the neighbors. The houses are big and probably expensive too.

Problem is, the community has been abandoned. The road leading to it is all dirty and filled with soi dogs. The guard posts are unmanned and the side walks (or whatever you can call that) are all overgrown.

Why would a community that has a nice collection of "rich" folks go down like this? Some haunting or whatever superstition hovering over it?

Matt

I was in a moobaan today just like that. There were some huge, gated homes with lush landscaped gardens worth easily 25 million Baht each. The sois were all in bad need of repair with huge pot holes, overgrown jungle everywhere and all guard stations were run down and deserted.

I have seen some moobaans with much smaller homes that apparently ran out of funds as they were being developed but I have never seen a community like I saw today so run down. I don't get it either.

Happens quite a lot actually. So something to think about when buying into a new development; chances are it won't look like the brochure 10 years from now.

Buying in a well established and well-run development already makes more sense I think.

Still, when all the plots are sold it's then up to the home owners to get together and form some kind of foundation or group if they want to keep the facilities such as guards, garbage collection, the club house / swimming pool, general upkeep and all those other nice things you see in the brochure. If you're in a village that's anything less than very high end, you know the kind of paupers you will find around you, with a snowball's chance in hel_l that they'll pay for anything. Then it's Waiting for the Weeds.