Air Conditioning Healthier Than A Fan ?

miodo2009

Is using an air conditioning healthier than using a fan, or not necessarily so ? Could the opposite be true ?

An air conditioning unit filters the impurities from the air that is sucked into the unit.A ceiling or pedestal fan just moves the air around without filtration.The air cond. unit is healthier,in my opinion.

Pot #2 is right as post #3 is... but a fan does cool by airstream - a/c chills the air!

Only a GOOD - well controllable unit will do no harm and temperature should never set too low!

I never have it lower than 27 C!

The positive thing about a/c is that during high humidity it will reduce the probablity of mold build up

in closets, on walls in clothing, bedding etc.

I use the combination of both!

Stick with a fan in Thailand.

Did I ever tell you the time I was working in the Middle East and it was 50 degrees plus outside so I turned my air con to super max and then went down town to an illegal drinking den.

I got back to my room, stripped off, lay on top of my bed and passed out.

I woke up in hospital with hypothermia.

• 2 weeks later...
Stick with a fan in Thailand.

Did I ever tell you the time I was working in the Middle East and it was 50 degrees plus outside so I turned my air con to super max and then went down town to an illegal drinking den.

I got back to my room, stripped off, lay on top of my bed and passed out.

I woke up in hospital with hypothermia.

Wow, must have been a pretty heavy sesh. :)

The positive thing about a/c is that during high humidity it will reduce the probablity of mold build up

in closets, on walls in clothing, bedding etc.

That's important in the Land of Sinusitis. Mold buildup can be bad news for allergy sufferers. If we don't scrub out the shower room regularly with mold treatment I start sneezing and carrying on something fierce.

27C works best for me too Samuian. My lungs feel cold inside (a strange feeling) for anything lower. But even 27C gets too cold sometimes upon the arrival of morning. I am trying to figure out my a/c remote how to set sleep mode or something similar which stages the cooling. Of course, no literature in english. :)If I determine how, I'll post so others can know. It may be similar for many remotes.

Edited by Lopburi99

An a/c unit is a de-humidifier it removes mositure from the air which helps it to cool it will also dry you out. We take the mositure out and then add it back with a humidifier to feel better. One danger is mold in duct work but most home and apartment units in Thailand are split units no duct work.

In the end what works for you, open windows and fan smog in a/c unit dry you out.

My personal experience here in Bangkok is that when I use the air conditioning my lungs feel hurt, less so when I use a fan.

The first thing to do if you intend to use the a/c in guest-houses is to remove and clean the filter , something that is rarely done by the owners , thai rarely fix anything until it is broken , some of those filters I have found to be practically solid with filth that I would have been breathing in had I not cleaned it out .

The first thing to do if you intend to use the a/c in guest-houses is to remove and clean the filter , something that is rarely done by the owners , thai rarely fix anything until it is broken , some of those filters I have found to be practically solid with filth that I would have been breathing in had I not cleaned it out .

That's for sure. We once were staying an a house which had supposedly just been cleaned thoroughly for us. After a couple of nights I noticed the a/c in the bedroom was not as cold as I wanted so I turned some unknown knob on the console. This was a obviously very old unit. Upon turning the knob a big cloud of crap belched out of the unit disgusting my wife and myself. To think we had been breathing air from this thing :) . We left that day, a full three weeks early.

Edited by Lopburi99