Police:sondhi Shooting Suspects Are In "banned Zone"

churchill

Assistant National Police Chief Pol Lt Gen Asawin Kwanmuang said the three suspects wanted in the assassination attempt on media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul were in the banned zone that police could not issue search warrant.

Asawin said police had three teams searching for the three suspects and had some clue about their whereabouts. “We know that they are still in Thailand but they are in the area that is stipulated in the law that police cannot issue search warrant,’’ he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/18...cs_30110068.phpnationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 18/08/09

So what is this this 'banned zone' exactly ?

If it includes military bases I don't see how that can be an issue, aren't there any military police who can step in at this point and make the searches / arrests required ?

Any Naval, Army, or Air Force base. A rather convenient place to do business as well. Fair is fair as the police pretty much get free reign everywhere else.

:)

You're more linked into these mafias Heng (being a tuktuk mafia guy... :D ), but I always thought the police were a very poor second behind the big buck army mafia.

I'd like to see Abhisit kick some army arse, show them who's who;get the accused out of the base [or wherever they are - maybe a temple?])... not holding my breath though...

Any Naval, Army, or Air Force base. A rather convenient place to do business as well. Fair is fair as the police pretty much get free reign everywhere else.

:D

You're more linked into these mafias Heng (being a tuktuk mafia guy... :D ), but I always thought the police were a very poor second behind the big buck army mafia.

I'd like to see Abhisit kick some army arse, show them who's who;get the accused out of the base [or wherever they are - maybe a temple?])... not holding my breath though...

Nah, just common knowledge. The 'police count cash, the army counts bottles' as the saying goes. Army folks are better known for the marginally higher sense of honor (although that's not saying much) when bribes and payments are concerned. The army gets a flashy defense budget that looks substantial on paper but once broken down and spread around isn't so impressive. They have a few major industries based out of their bases, but to move it around, the police typically get their taste of it as well. The police have their hands in the cookie jar for most of the rest.

I'm sure Abhisit would be glad to know that he has your support. :)

:D

Edited by Heng

So what is this this 'banned zone' exactly ?

If it includes military bases I don't see how that can be an issue, aren't there any military police who can step in at this point and make the searches / arrests required ?

Yes, of course MPs can and must do so. It's but a logical extension to the concept of the "Good Governance" ideals of the coup leaders and their present pol status quo. But gosh oh golly, maybe the MPs' duties will be delayed due to legal/administrative factors/committees/sub-committees of the GOOD FOLKS prevailing in the present circles of Good Governance and/or M Protocol. It would sure be nice not to have to speak in riddles like this. Imagine what it must be like in Burma in terms of free expression.

Army Chief: Military to help police find Sondhi case suspect

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) - Army chief Gen Anupong Paochinda on Wednesday said that Thailand's military is ready to cooperate with the police to apprehend any suspect in connection with the shooting of key People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Sondhi Limthongkul, following the claim of a senior police officer that the gunman is hiding in a military camp.

The army chief commented in response to assistant police chief Pol Lt-Gen Assawin Kwanmuang's claim that one of the gunmen who shot Mr Sondhi was hiding in a military camp.

The PAD leader, a media tycoon who played a key role in campaigning to oust then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, survived a serious attempt on his life in the April 17 ambush.

"If the police know exactly where the suspect is hiding," said Gen Anupong, "we will send him to the police right away if asked."

Gen Anupong however added that the non-commissioned military officer from the special warfare operations command now being sought for arrest has already been discharged from military service, therefore the Army won't assign the Staff Judge Advocate to investigate the suspect.

The Criminal Court issued arrest warrants against Sgt Somchai Bunnag, believed to be a gunman, and Sgt-Maj 1st Class Panya Sri-hrao, both from the Special Warfare Command at Erawan Camp in Lop Buri, and Pol Cpl Worawut Mungsanthi, assigned to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) in Bangkok.

All three suspects face related charges in the attempted killing, including the possession of firearms and explosives in a public place without official permission. (TNA)

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=11388tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 19/08/09

Military space or Royal grounds? Foreign embassy? Forgien country? Buddhist temple? Police station? Big mans estate?

the banned zone could be anything.

I used to play a cool computer game where your hero could hide in a 'sanctuary' and couldn't be attacked by other heroes while in there, though he had to stay put until the other hero went far enough away for him to make his escape

Military space or Royal grounds? Foreign embassy? Forgien country? Buddhist temple? Police station? Big mans estate?

the banned zone could be anything.

I used to play a cool computer game where your hero could hide in a 'sanctuary' and couldn't be attacked by other heroes while in there, though he had to stay put until the other hero went far enough away for him to make his escape

You think there's a possibility he could be hiding in a computer game?