Thai Customs Dept Facing Overhaul

george

Thai Customs Dept facing overhaul

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit announced yesterday he would seek Cabinet approval to submit a new draft customs law as part of his plan to radically reform the Customs Department so it facilitates more trade.

The new law will also make the Customs Department more open to judicial scrutiny. Meanwhile, all the information relevant to import duties will be made public from September 1. "I will propose the new draft for Cabinet to consider within 60 days," Pradit said.

This overhaul of the Customs Department is said to be the largest since the agency was established more than 135 years ago.

Pradit said, the reforms were designed to make the Customs Department more of a service provider that facilitates trade and less of a collector of duties.

"My vision is for the department to transform from a 'duty collector to a trade facilitator'. The world is moving toward a free-trade environment and we have to adjust to those realities," he said.

In addition, Thailand attributes about 70 per cent of its gross domestic production to exports. "The Customs Department should become easier to deal with if the country wants to boost foreign trade and accelerate economic recovery," Pradit said.

Moreover, he added, the department would also be providing clearer rules on product classification and evaluation methods to help businesses to better estimate importation costs. The newly appointed director-general Wisut Srisuphan will lead this change.

After meeting with representatives of various trade associations and the Chamber of Commerce, Pradit concluded the most common complaint is that companies cannot get the Customs Department to confirm exactly how a particular product will be classified, which leads to vague duties and a waste of time.

'Single window' system

He also said the department would confirm the classification of duties and the evaluation of products before they are imported. It will also commit to a single, consistent evaluation method for duties on a product, regardless of when and how it is imported.

"These are services that we will provide our customers to help facilitate trade from September 1," Pradit said. He said that once the new law was approved, it would help encourage transparency and consistency in all rulings and allow citizens to appeal for independent judicial review more easily.

"We frequently hear complaints of how judgements by Customs seem to be arbitrary," he said.

Previously, the Customs Act required a fixed "five-times the import value" penalty to be imposed on an importer if he loses a case in court and a substantially lower penalty if the case is settled out of court. "This stopped cases from going to court. Now we are proposing to cut the ceiling down to 'four-times the import value', as well as give judges more flexibility on assessing penalties so they have a chance to recognise genuine mistakes," he said.

Meanwhile, Wisut said the department would cut out a lot of unnecessary paperwork by eliminating redundant forms duplicating information submitted to the department, such as the Cargo Control Form used at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

He said the department will also amend the draft law to allow importers bond-based monthly payments so they do not waste time tending to repetitive processes for each shipment. This way, they will be able to consolidate all their payments to the Customs Department into a single payment at the end of the month from a bond they post with the department.

In addition, the department is accelerating the implementation of a "single window" for the submission of paperwork, so shippers do not have to waste time running from one ministry to another.

"With these reforms, I expect the Customs Department to increase its revenues for the state by around 15 per cent," Pradit said.

He added that the next priority would be to enhance the country's cross-border trade in the next three to five years. The department will also train its customs officials at the borders to ensure they have the know-how to deal with complex transactions.

"We will also work with our Asean neighbours to encourage them to set up a 'single window' system to make trade easier for our exporters," Pradit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-20

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexico is currently putting 700 to 1000 newly trained Customs people in place. Replacing a like number who were felt to be taking tea monies, etc. The procedure, including training of replacements, apparently was not announced prior to its taking place.

I will believe this, when I see it. The customs department is about as corrupt as the police. Here is a recent post from one of

my thai corruption rants:

This is one of those posts that gets right to the heart of an issue that seems to really bother alot of ex-pats, who are

exposed to the corruption here. I have read many of the replies, and there seems to be a sense of resignation. How

can anything change? Well, it is changing throughout the region. Malaysia, Indonesia, India, and Vietnam are making

serious efforts to root out the corruption. Officials, CEO's, and people in positions of authority and power are getting

arrested, and sentenced. Of course, that seems almost impossible here, but I do hope it happens. I guess the aspect that

is not getting mentioned much, is why Thailand has so little interest in addressing it's staggering level of corruption. Malaysia

has set up a corruption commission, and is making DAILY arrests of top officials, ministers, local politicians, and businessmen. Indonesia

has set up a corruption commission, and so far their antigraft commission has achieved a 100-percent conviction rate in 86 cases of bribery

and graft related to government procurements and budgets. And where is Thailand in all of this. Why aren't men like Newin, and others, who

are coming up with expensive schemes to line their pockets being arrested, and tried? Why is the CEO of King Power still employed? Why is the

Police Captain in charge of the airport security, who appears to be involved in the King Power scam, still in his position? Does anyone really think

there is even a chance that the King Power scheme is not real? That they are arresting only guilty shoplifters? Does all King Power have to do is

post one video on the internet, of a guilty party, for all of us to let them off the hook? Is that all it takes? Even India is getting actively involved

in tackling corruption. When was the last time we heard of a government minister, or top official, or corporate CEO being arrested on corruption charges,

here in Thailand? There was a recent story of jet ski operators in Koh Samui, extorting $1,000's of dollars out of tourists, with the threat of,

and occasionally acts of violence, right on the beach in front of dozens of tourists, for supposedly getting a scratch on a jet ski. When one tourist

caught this on video, and presented it to the authorities, the culprits were confronted, and forced to a pay a fine of 1,000 baht! I am sure they

have not stopped laughing since the incident. Unless Thailand gets serious, and starts introducing fines and jail sentenced that are in proportion

to the crime, nobody will take them seriously. Thailand will continue to be the laughing stock of the world. They will continue to be considered

"that 3rd world country with so much promise, that could not do ANYTHING, to help itself". Or, "the country that always shoots itself in the foot".

Thailand is rapidly approching a point of being way past redemption. If nobody does something truly gutsy or courageous, the time will pass, for

Thailand to turn things around. History may show Thailand as having achieved it's greatest apex of development in 2000-2005. History may show

it being all downhill from there. The Thai people nor the Thai government seem to have no realization of how serious things are, and how perilous a

time this is for the nation. Very, very, very few people here seem to get it. A country can only make so many mistakes before the world leaves it

behind. Especially when neighbors like Malaysia, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, and others are making so much progress, and trying so hard. This makes

the lack of effort here seem all the more staggering, and shocking. Someone needs to act. So what if jobs are lost. So what if heads roll. So what if

people in power are humiliated, and their lives are ruined. So what. It is not too late for Thailand, but the time when it is, is rapidly approaching. Change

is hard. Progress is difficult. But, not impossible. Thailand is not beyond redemption. There are many good people here who would like to see things

different. Conviction, with fines of 500,000 baht and up, and jail terms of 5-10 years is a good place to start. Tony, of course would be a great example

for a first conviction. I would suggest a fine of 2,000,000 baht, and a jail term of 20 years for him. He deserves it. He earned it.

17 Aug 2009

So, the real question is, who in the government is prepared to grow a set of balls big enough to tackle a problem that is holding Thailand firmly

locked into 3rd world status? Abhisit? Who else could do it?

Has there been any recent incidents involving travellers carrying laptops etc for their own personal use being hassled by customs staff on arrival? I would not react well to this kind of shakedown.

I carry my laptop in & our of Thailand every other month - have done for years & never had even the slightest hitch or problem with Thai Customs - or any other customs for that matter.

On the subject of the article, well, it sounds like another 'crackdown' to me! This time a 'Customs Crackdown'! It seems like the Govt has a mission to issue a daily 'crackdown' on something or other :) Yesterday it was tight fitting university uniforms & short skirts & today it's customs - what can we expect tomorrow?

Has there been any recent incidents involving travellers carrying laptops etc for their own personal use being hassled by customs staff on arrival? I would not react well to this kind of shakedown.

I carry my laptop in & our of Thailand every other month - have done for years & never had even the slightest hitch or problem with Thai Customs - or any other customs for that matter.

On the subject of the article, well, it sounds like another 'crackdown' to me! This time a 'Customs Crackdown'! It seems like the Govt has a mission to issue a daily 'crackdown' on something or other :D Yesterday it was tight fitting university uniforms & short skirts & today it's customs - what can we expect tomorrow?

the tightfitting blouse and short skirt "problem", was the subject of a "clamp down" very different

, I am assuming,from a "crack down". :) Need more photos to be sure though.

Edited by alstaxi

On the subject of the article, well, it sounds like another 'crackdown' to me! This time a 'Customs Crackdown'! It seems like the Govt has a mission to issue a daily 'crackdown' on something or other :) Yesterday it was tight fitting university uniforms & short skirts & today it's customs - what can we expect tomorrow?

A good start would be a crackdown on the traffic Department who for the right money will issue a drivers licence without even a test . This would ensure that at least potential drivers would have to prove they understand road rules and can actually drive. This may reduce the number of road deaths in Thailand and also reduce the road rage of foreigners who observe the abuse of traffic laws.

I'm captain on a chemical tanker and recently called Mapthaput, after Argentina I think Thailand is the 2nd worst country in the world when it comes to customs. The port call cost me 12 bottles of whiskey and 2000 cigaretts just to get the ship cleared, not to mention all the several hundreds of papers needed, In other countries it is usually enough with 10-20 papers to clear the ship.

And if that wasn't enough the customs officer went into the galley to get a few bottles of instant coffee and creamer before he left. :)

I will believe this, when I see it. The customs department is about as corrupt as the police. Here is a recent post from one of

This is one of those posts that gets right to the heart of an issue that seems to really bother alot of ex-pats, who are

exposed to the corruption here. I have read many of the replies, and there seems to be a sense of resignation. How

can anything change? Well, it is changing throughout the region. Malaysia, Indonesia, India, and Vietnam are making

serious efforts to root out the corruption. Officials, CEO's, and people in positions of authority and power are getting

arrested, and sentenced. Of course, that seems almost impossible here, but I do hope it happens. I guess the aspect that

is not getting mentioned much, is why Thailand has so little interest in addressing it's staggering level of corruption. Malaysia

has set up a corruption commission, and is making DAILY arrests of top officials, ministers, local politicians, and businessmen. Indonesia

has set up a corruption commission, and so far their antigraft commission has achieved a 100-percent conviction rate in 86 cases of bribery

and graft related to government procurements and budgets. And where is Thailand in all of this. Why aren't men like Newin, and others, who

are coming up with expensive schemes to line their pockets being arrested, and tried? Why is the CEO of King Power still employed? Why is the

Police Captain in charge of the airport security, who appears to be involved in the King Power scam, still in his position? Does anyone really think

there is even a chance that the King Power scheme is not real? That they are arresting only guilty shoplifters? Does all King Power have to do is

post one video on the internet, of a guilty party, for all of us to let them off the hook? Is that all it takes? Even India is getting actively involved

in tackling corruption. When was the last time we heard of a government minister, or top official, or corporate CEO being arrested on corruption charges,

here in Thailand? There was a recent story of jet ski operators in Koh Samui, extorting $1,000's of dollars out of tourists, with the threat of,

and occasionally acts of violence, right on the beach in front of dozens of tourists, for supposedly getting a scratch on a jet ski. When one tourist

caught this on video, and presented it to the authorities, the culprits were confronted, and forced to a pay a fine of 1,000 baht! I am sure they

have not stopped laughing since the incident. Unless Thailand gets serious, and starts introducing fines and jail sentenced that are in proportion

to the crime, nobody will take them seriously. Thailand will continue to be the laughing stock of the world. They will continue to be considered

"that 3rd world country with so much promise, that could not do ANYTHING, to help itself". Or, "the country that always shoots itself in the foot".

Thailand is rapidly approching a point of being way past redemption. If nobody does something truly gutsy or courageous, the time will pass, for

Thailand to turn things around. History may show Thailand as having achieved it's greatest apex of development in 2000-2005. History may show

it being all downhill from there. The Thai people nor the Thai government seem to have no realization of how serious things are, and how perilous a

time this is for the nation. Very, very, very few people here seem to get it. A country can only make so many mistakes before the world leaves it

behind. Especially when neighbors like Malaysia, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, and others are making so much progress, and trying so hard. This makes

the lack of effort here seem all the more staggering, and shocking. Someone needs to act. So what if jobs are lost. So what if heads roll. So what if

people in power are humiliated, and their lives are ruined. So what. It is not too late for Thailand, but the time when it is, is rapidly approaching. Change

is hard. Progress is difficult. But, not impossible. Thailand is not beyond redemption. There are many good people here who would like to see things

different. Conviction, with fines of 500,000 baht and up, and jail terms of 5-10 years is a good place to start. Tony, of course would be a great example

for a first conviction. I would suggest a fine of 2,000,000 baht, and a jail term of 20 years for him. He deserves it. He earned it.

17 Aug 2009

So, the real question is, who in the government is prepared to grow a set of balls big enough to tackle a problem that is holding Thailand firmly

All Governments are corrupt to a certain extent. It actuality the lobbying of politicians in the USA is corruption, it has just ingrained itself into the system. I suspect the Thai government is no different. You cannot have a non-corrupt government. Obama has standing orders not to hire any past lobbyist for government work and it is not working --they are the only people who are experienced enough to get anything done. There several hundred positions he cannot fill.

Instead of picking on Thailand maybe look at your home country --England for example just went through a whole series of news breaking corruption--MP's misusing fund for personal use. It is not that I agree with corruption it is just that is it never goes away. But yes I ham happy when a they are stripped of their "ways and means" but it is usually just a scapegoat for the rest who are never touched. Wall Street and the bank boys rip off the world everyday -yet a common thief or a simple drug user go to a prison for a long time --we never see the real bastards in there.

17 Aug 2009

Good post and straight to the point! You will be told I'am sure by the less informed that if you don't like it here go home...what expats do not seem to realise is that all the shit that happens here will affect us all in some way or another.Also like myself I always try to say what would be good for Thailand but to be honest I getting to the point where I think I'am wasting my breath(or fingers) as the way things are going here it would only seem to be going more downhill! The major point you seem to make is that Thais do not seem to realise the problems they have.....Corruption only makes NATIONS POORER!

A friend of mine imports alcoholic beverages.

Now you don't want to know how much of every container he brings in has to slip out of the door to get it through, then add on the ridiculous customs stamps that have to be added to every bottle, breakage during handling etc.

If there is one thing they can do to bring greater efficiency to commerce in the country, it is speed up and simplify the customs procedures.

They certainly need a new broom at the Customs Dept. Corruption and inefficiency there are a huge drag on Thailand's economic productivity. It is somehow appropriate that the iniative should come from the Finance Ministry, since the current minister's father served for many years as director-general of the Customs Dept and was eventually ousted from the job due to allegations of corruption.

I personally haven't been hassled by Thai customs too much over the years (less, in fact, than than by U.S. customs) and have certainly brought my share of stuff in without paying duty.

It's the only country I've ever checked into by boat though where the official customs form had a space for declaring the number of taels of opium aboard so it is probably overdue for some modernization.

I see the "glass is half empty crowd" arrived early, and has their mouth watering! The PM seems to have high minded ideals, and that in and of itself is a step in the right direction. It takes time to change things, and I think that if given the time, some things here will start to improve. That applies perhaps to Thailand's government, but certainly not to the vulture brigade here on TV, lol.

They certainly need a new broom at the Customs Dept. Corruption and inefficiency there are a huge drag on Thailand's economic productivity. It is somehow appropriate that the iniative should come from the Finance Ministry, since the current minister's father served for many years as director-general of the Customs Dept and was eventually ousted from the job due to allegations of corruption.

:)

Interesting - this place is very incestuous...

It's an important area to update, let's hope they follow through (he said naively...).

From my understanding at present for many items the customs rates are not fixed and for small and medium sized businesses this is a big problem and they have to haggle with the customs people often the quickest and cheapest method to import is to make un-receipted cash payment.

For Thai business there is a need to import goods, equipment, and spare parts fast and efficiently and pay fair import tax like they do in many other countries, unless Thailand rectifies this it will continue to loose business.

Hoping that this is not just a PR ploy to make it seem like Thailand is doing what other ASEAN countries are doing... but a genuine attempt at reform. Time will tell.

Oh! Don't we all wish. I do not see the CORRUPT canvssing themselve. It is like the blind leading the blind and saying to each other,"follow me and we will avoid the presipous'.

I came here on a non-immigrant O-A multiple entry one year visa with my wife and my dog in tow. Customs was to NOT charge Custom Duty on my dog. I even had all papers and custom clearances on my pet, not my wife. They charged Duties and took bribes to reduce a Duty that according to Thai Custom Law was exempt.

When I challenged the charge and showed them the Law that covered my circumstances, they said that it did not count because they had to charge. I could refuse and my best friend would not survive under the conditions that he was held iin.

No I do not think that reform or clampdown or crackdown is going to be fruitful for the Thais but to the corrupt, AGAIN. :)

As a past victim of the Customs Deptartment I say it's about time!!I just hope it's not all show and no go and that these crooks are not just reassigned somewhere. In Xiamen, China the corrupt guy that headed the Customs Department there was convicted and executed. Maybe the Chinese have the right idea!!!

Edited by Scalawag

No mention regarding the eradication of "tea money" :D

:D tea money = kick backs = bribes = "lubricant" (no, not the other kind n- naughty, naughty!) = " ngern tai tor".........

:) thailand is no exception - except that prices are kept low in thailand n that's why farang enjoy the "benefits" from the tea money which help "lubricate" "the system".

:D "tea money"= price of globalisation n slave labor?????????????????

Thai Customs Dept facing overhaul

...the department would also be providing clearer rules on product classification and evaluation methods to help businesses to better estimate importation costs. The newly appointed director-general Wisut Srisuphan will lead this change

I respectfully :) the new head and his crew, another bunch of guys to get rich now - this is what we call real "change leadership"

:D tea money = kick backs = bribes = "lubricant" (no, not the other kind n- naughty, naughty!) = " ngern tai tor".........

:) thailand is no exception - except that prices are kept low in thailand n that's why farang enjoy the "benefits" from the tea money which help "lubricate" "the system".

I notice that it is less of a crack down and more of a tentative bill that is being submitted for approval. The idea that a Thai leader is actually prepared to listen to foreign complaints and stream line a department as big as the Customs dept and has actually crafted a logical formula to make it happen is quite incredible.

I will be interested to see if he is able get the bill passed. If they are serious about streamlining the processes and making Thailand more able to deal with a free market economy that signifies a dramatic shift away from the direction of the past 3 years where it seemed like the complete opposite was in effect.

I find it hard to imagine that the ruling elite will be happy with the concept of opening Thailands customs process and making things easier for import and export. I fell that he is going to have a serious fight on his hands to get teh votes needed to pass this bill no matter how clear headed and logical it seems.

A Thai politician thinking and acting with a logical, systematic and forward thinking approach is very unusual. The pockets of the rich must really be hurting right now if they are prepared to consider this bill and if he is able to get this one through and force the reform that is required to keep Thailand competitive with it's neighbours that will signify they are ready for a serious change.

This bill could be a turning point for Thailand in many ways.