Canon G11

The Vulcan

I'm tired of lugging my Nikon D80 and three lenses with me. I am seriously thinking of giving it all to my daughter and buying this G11. The Canon will more than fit my needs and it comes with a great LED screen and an optical eyepiece.

What would I be giving up by going G11?

I'm tired of lugging my Nikon D80 and three lenses with me. I am seriously thinking of giving it all to my daughter and buying this G11. The Canon will more than fit my needs and it comes with a great LED screen and an optical eyepiece.

What would I be giving up by going G11?

Why not buy the G11 and see for yourself. Personally I suspect you'll take a lot more photos with a G11.

The optical eyepeice is next to useless on my G10 showing only 75% of the image.

The G11 has an articulated screen which is a nice reincarnation

Edited by The Vulcan

I find it almost impossible to see anything on LED screens in the bright sunlight. I need to wear my reading glasses, so an optical view finder would be of some help. I don't take many pictures and will soon be laid up for a couple of months recovering from hip replacement operation. That should give me more time to save my pennies and buy my self a nice christmas present. Most of my work is scanning my old negatives and slides so I find little justification for holding on to the Nikon. I love my D 80 but will pass it on to my daughter who is getting serious about her photography.

Thanks for your advise once again.

I suppose the main thing is the fact there is limited scope to change lenses. I know there are 2 or 3 add-ons for lenses, being Wide Angle and Tele.

There are some great advantages to a modern digital camera like the face detection stuff and all the different ways you can perform Post Processing.

One nice thing is the Marine body for the G10 is about 7k at Pantip Plaza to taking it to the beach and in the water is an affordable reality.

I suppose the main thing is the fact there is limited scope to change lenses. I know there are 2 or 3 add-ons for lenses, being Wide Angle and Tele.

There are some great advantages to a modern digital camera like the face detection stuff and all the different ways you can perform Post Processing.

One nice thing is the Marine body for the G10 is about 7k at Pantip Plaza to taking it to the beach and in the water is an affordable reality.

Available with the G10 !

I wonder if it would fit on the same underwater housing as the G10?, the improved noise performance would be a very good thing for me. The G10 has way too many pixels crammed in too little sensor are for my liking, it gets quite noise at ISO400 and up.

I wonder if it would fit on the same underwater housing as the G10?, the improved noise performance would be a very good thing for me. The G10 has way too many pixels crammed in too little sensor are for my liking, it gets quite noise at ISO400 and up.

Apparently it's the same body as the G10 so it should be ok. But the articulated screen????

Edited by The Vulcan

Apparently it's the same body as the G10 so it should be ok. But the articulated screen????

I checked some pictures of the G11 and it seems that, although the body is almost exactly identical, the buttons on the back are offset a few milimiters in account of the larger swivel screen frame.

Dang it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Micro four thirds offerings from Olympus (EP-1) and Panasonic (GF1) have sensors which are DSLR size. Many more bodies and lenses likely to arrive over the next year.

Depends on which DSLR you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_s...laid_inside.svg

One problem with micro 4/3s is that you can't have a through-the-lens viewfinder.

There are rumours of a new offering from Olympus in a few days which will have a built-in electronic viewfinder. The general view seems to be that the next 12 months will see a significant increase in offerings in the micro 4/3s market; could be a good alternative to a DSLR system. Meantime, I love my LX3 as a carry everywhere camera.

Do you have a viewfinder for your LX3, and if so, which one?

I don't use a viewfinder, mainly because I have the Panasonic case for the camera which makes it easy to carry around and use at short notice, but has no space for a viewfinder. I do have a 28mm Voightlander viewfinder on a DP1 which I could use if I felt the need. Perhaps the LX4 will have a built-in viewfinder....

I do have a 28mm Voightlander viewfinder on a DP1 which I could use if I felt the need. Perhaps the LX4 will have a built-in viewfinder....

I have Sigma's original view finder on my DP1. For how expensive an accessory it is, and for what purpose it was designed for and how much parallax error there is, not to mention you don't get any essential data reading like aperture, shutter speed and ISO through it like you do with SLR view finder (especially for such a camera-shake prone camera like DP1!), I find the external optical view finder too useless an accessory for the manufacturer to provide. I would rather they made a small EVF like what's available for Ricoh's GX100/200 available.

I love my LX3 as a carry everywhere camera.

Are you happy with it more than with DP1?

Edited by Nordlys

"Are you happy with it more than with DP1?"

The short answer is "yes". The longer answer is that the DP1 takes stunning images when the time is right. There is something about the Foveon sensor and the DP1 lens that produces fabulous images. But:

It is so slow to focus, and will not focus at all below a certain light. It is more noisy than the LX3 too. The LX3 produces good images, and I particularly like the Dynamic Black and White jpg setting. It is fast to focus in any light and quicker to clear the buffer than the DP1. The F2 lens is lovely and the macro is astonishing. With the latest firmware you can have the end of the lens barrel against a subject and it still focuses. I know I can always get a shot, anywhere, anytime, out of the LX3; whereas the DP1 needs adequate light and time. The feature set with the LX3 is comprehensive, the DP1 is crippled. Having a bit of zoom available with the LX3 can be useful at times, although I would be just as happy if it was fixed length.

For the money, the LX3 is the best bit of photographic equipment I have ever bought. The DSLR stays in the cupboard more than it used to.

seconded with everything you wrote about DP1...

Buf I find its AF to be not as big an issue as so many blurred images caused by camera shake DP1 produces. Lack of image stabilizer is one thing, but I wonder if it's because the camera is so much lighter than SLR that it's not so stable? In low light settings you can always switch to manual focus, and at 28mm and maximum aperture of F4 you do get a reasonably sharp images and speed is not an issue with MF, but changing setting from AF to MF can be cumbersome. You'd also get a lot of out of focus images when using view finder. You think you're framing the subject right in the center of the frame where the focus point is but parallax error is such that it's often off-center and focuses the background. I'm sure the same can happen with LX3 if you use view finder. JPEG-only images out of DP1 is also pointless.

Is writing RAW images to LX3 faster than with DP1?

Edited by Nordlys