Krabi - Richie Collins

Humphrey Bear

I understand this guy was a dive instructor and rock climber. Does anyone know where he worked...? Any pix available...?

His rock-climbing was basically a hobby, but he had done some instructing.

He had worked as a dive-instructor, out of all the surrounding areas - Phuket, Phi Phi and Krabi.

For the past year he has been working on Bangkok's new airport, but had finished at the beginning of March, just gone to Krabi to look up old friends and see what was happening, if there was any work available.

Six foot five / six, longish blond hair, very gentle manner.

Sorry, I'm not posting pix.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different patterns how Westerners and Thais react emotionally, especially with anger. We Westerners get sometimes a bit hot under the collar, which is frowned upon here (joi ron), but rarely loose control where we leave all reasoning behind.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thais will stay outwardly calm right up to the point where they start going beserk without any thought regarding the outcome. I do believe that plenty of Westerners don't see this coming because we are so used to our pattern of behavior.

There also seem to be certain areas where Thais allow themselves to go bonkers a lot sooner, perceived advances towards their girlfriend is one of them.

My thoughts go out to his relatives and friends.

You are absolute correct. Being married to a Thai for 17 years, one will realise the different pattern in behaviour compared to Europeans, they are like vulcanos. Their talk is similar, talk and think later, listen to politicians here and their immediate statements ! Western people have to learn to deal with this type of behaviour and understand .

Several more linguistic bits...

Huung: Jealous of people -- usually crazy jealous -- applies to both male and female Thais as well as farangs of all shapes and sizes. My last Thai girlfriend was "huung boi boi"/ very jealous very often and she could be quite dangerous when she got that way. Much better to be around uncomplicated/ unattached and not super beautiful Thai women -- they can be magnets for trouble -- especially if any alcohol is involved...

Itchaa: Envious of things -- someone can be "itchaa" of a relationship (your new boyfriend is so nice -- "Fan mai jaidee mak, mak. Chan itchaa!"). But usually itchaa is about things (shoes, clothes, jewelry, cars, etc. -- when relationships cross the line over to "possessions" that is where "itchaa" and "huung" can get very blurry in their similar meanings...

Another blurry connection is "huang" -- to worry. A jealous fan can be so "huang" that they switch over to "huung" -- not desireable at all!

Feel free to write if you have comments/ questions...

dseawarrior

IT SEEMS  THAT  THE BRITS DONT RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES WOMEN!

Typically septic!

When ever ive come across these Arsholes in a foriegn land the last thing they are doing is giving out respect!!!

But they are always the first to accuse the english/brits of disrespect!!

If there is a species that sticks its neck out to far to realise the full consquence,it is the septic...

Really ? Whenever I've come across Thais, Japanese, Indians, or other orientals

in foreign lands, their behaviour has always been exemplary .

Even the notorously rude Hong Kong chinese generally behave properly when away from Hong Kong / China.

But the British , Australians and other falangs generally ??

The sort of behaviour that one witnesses at the usual falang hangouts ; NEP, Cowboy, Pattaya, would put an ape to shame.

Let's not also forget the noble British tradition of football hooliganism.

IT SEEMS  THAT  THE BRITS DONT RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES WOMEN!

Typically septic!

When ever ive come across these Arsholes in a foriegn land the last thing they are doing is giving out respect!!!

But they are always the first to accuse the english/brits of disrespect!!

If there is a species that sticks its neck out to far to realise the full consquence,it is the septic...

But the British , Australians and other falangs generally ??

The sort of behaviour that one witnesses at the usual falang hangouts ; NEP, Cowboy, Pattaya, would put an ape to shame.

Let's not also forget the noble British tradition of football hooliganism.

:o

Generalising here big time.

You could say the same for every nationality. Seems every country has their own stories about foreigners. Thats the way things are. People always remember the bad never the good.

From Sky News

"BRITISH MAN KILLED IN THAI TOURIST TOWN

A British man has been stabbed to death in southern Thailand.

Richard Mark Collins, 35, from Hereford, was killed on Tuesday night in the tourist town of Krabi.

Police have arrested a 29-year-old Thai taxi driver on murder-related charges.

Uthen Duangnoi told police he stabbed Mr Collins out of anger after he made sexual advances toward his girlfriend.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Jakra Sawakol said Mr Collins was stabbed twice and rushed to a hospital, where he later died.

Mr Collins was reportedly in Thailand working for Thai Heritage, one of several companies building a new international airport on the outskirts of Bangkok.

He lived in Bangkok with girlfriend, Panida Meedi, 24, and was reportedly friends with his assailant and his girlfriend.

"Richard went to their house, and I was informed that he was stabbed," Panida said. "I don't now how it happened."

Last Updated: 15:43 UK, Wednesday March 09, 2005

Well, they've got the culprit, and it was either premeditated - which means murder, or, a snap crime of passion, which probably means manslaughter.

I don't think the Thai justice system will cut him any favours at all. (Unlike the Kanchanaburi policeman)

(Legal experts: how much premeditation does it need to be classified as murder? If he just runs into a kitchen to find a knife and then stabs him right away, presumably that isn't premeditation)

One consistent feature I see is that these killings are solved very quickly, there's no real manhunt needed. Nearly every 'Pattaya City News' story about a farang homicide has the news of a simultaneous arrest.

Whenever I've come across Thais, Japanese, Indians, or other orientals

in foreign lands, their behaviour has always been exemplary .

The key word here is "foreign lands"

Outside of Thailand there are no officials or policemen to bribe! This may sound a bit of a generalisation but during all my years here the one constant fact is that Thais will always back Thais, whatever the circumstances...

...particularly when a foreigner is involved!

Sad but true!

You know , this recent killing of a foreigner has led me to believe that thailand is no longer safe for EXpats to live in.

The recent kiling of the two backpacker by the Thai policemen apparently send a strong signal to the native population that its OK to kill foreigners if your angry at them or lose face.

Get angry at a foreigner....NO problem...kill him and get off scott free!

If I was a brit I'd contact my embassy and push to have a warning posted for thailand.

greg

Edited by griser

Get angry at a foreigner....NO problem...kill him and get off scott free!

Its not as bad as that actually! But one has to be more watchful than if you live in, say, Taunton or Tea Gardens.

This is a hot tropical country, and there are hotheads, and its up to us to adjust to their pace. We are the guests and after awhile you learn to look where you are putting your feet if you want to survive to be an Old Asia Hand.

Not saying I am, not long ago I wasn't looking where I was going and fell in a klong. (and I wasnt even drunk)

It seems Mr Collins was more than just in the wrong place at the wrong time but flirting with the wrong man's girl (ex or not doesn't matter, and the fact that she was Mr Collins ex gf could have only made things worse). I have seen far too many farang men come to this country and behave in a way that is perceived as arrogant and condescending. Perhaps, as a taxi driver, this man had taken far too much of this from the many farang tourists that Krabi gets.

Who knows the real story? Certainly not the biased opinion of the man's friends nor the biased opinion of the killer. Truth is, the killer was caught and (unlike rich and influential people) will serve a fairly long period of time in jail. Taxi drivers do not get to cut a deal with the govt as they have very little to offer.

I have lived here for 16 years and can no longer count the number of murders I have heard of (except for two farang who were definitely involved with drugs) among the local Thais, and actual friends and acquaintances of mine that have been murdered? 8. And I don't actually know all that many people that well. (10,000 locals, I have been here 16 years, do the math). Unfortunately, especially here in the south, the way to solve these problems is with violence. Anyone who lives here for any period of time should know to walk very softly.

Edited by sbk

If I was a brit I'd contact my embassy and push to have a warning posted for thailand.

Do you honestly think this <deleted> of a Thai actually stopped to think which country Richard came from before knifing him? Typical case of the sad concept of 'FACEloss' - bottle your rage up for years and then let it all out in one go - and he wouldn't have cared less where he was from. The prick should be hung and made an example of.

Living in a hot country is no excuse for killing someone.

Parts of Australia and America get hotter than Thailand year round and you don't see foreigners in those countries killed off by the locals for losing face.

For robberies yes....

I'm sure the death toll in other countries are greater than Thailand but NOT for these reasons.

This complete disreguard for non Thai's needs to cease and I doubt it will until the current regime is gone, but until then a warning should be issued for Thailand by embassies letting people know of the dangers.

greg

Do you honestly think this <deleted> of a Thai actually stopped to think which country Richard came from before knifing him? Typical case of the sad concept of 'FACEloss' - bottle your rage up for years and then let it all out in one go - and he wouldn't have cared less where he was from. The prick should be hung and made an example of.

No I don't think he cares one way or another. BUT it has been brits as targets in the last few incidents. A coincidence i'm sure but still reason enough for a warning to folks.

I'm writing MY embassy about it and i'm not a brit.

greg

Edited by griser

Somehow, I doubt he killed him because he was a farang. I think he killed him because he was out of his mind with rage and jealousy. If Richie Collins had been Thai he would still be dead.

Somehow, I doubt he killed him because he was a farang. I think he killed him because he was out of his mind with rage and jealousy. If Richie Collins had been Thai he would still be dead.

I disagree, The point in my original post was that HAD richard been Thai, the assailant would have thought twice about pulling a knife. The courts here have shown great leniency toward killers of foriegners of late and that should be looked at and acted upon.

greg

The man who spells "jealous" as "gelous" is calling someone else an idiot?

"Murder-related charges" indicating that it has not decided what murder charge to book him under...1st degree, 2nd degree, etc.  It's not as simple as just "murder".

Dear member .

I feel that you'r missing the point here,it's not that you've been made to feel like an idiot ,actually it's about a man that did not deserve the terrible thing that occurred to him by any stretch of the imagination .

Many British expats living in Thailand will be very anxious that an English man should come to this fate .

In you'r concise quote you made mention of 1st and 2nd degree murder'from a British mans mindset our judicial law has two categorys (manslaughter & murder that's it ,in this case it's plainly murder .

The police reports of this mans murder do come across as being very absent-minded at best as to what the taxi driver will be charged with ,let us hope that the enquire will be equitable in every sense. P.S Ignorance is not stupidity in any instance ... :o

The courts here have shown great leniency toward killers of foriegners of late and that should be looked at and acted upon.

can you quote the source of your facts.

we occasionally read in the paper when a falang has been murdered , but i cant remember ever reading about the court procedings or sentencing.

there were some high profile cases a few years ago , a young monk raped and murdered a woman , and a backpacker was raped and murdered in chiang mai a few years ago , but the cases were not followed up to conclusion.

so i am interested to know to which cases you are referring.

Just a thought....

Is it really Thai disregard for farangs? Maybe Thais are acclimating to having lots of farangs around. We no longer have such an automatic lofty status. They aren't as nervous or shy around us anymore. Thus, we will get treated as they do to each other.

I wonder sometimes about the combination of stress pressures in a modern urban industrial society, Thais's limited stress relief tools, and the penchant for extreme violence when they “lose it.” Seems these types of incidents might become more common in the years ahead.

stress pressures in a modern urban industrial society

As a volunteer Policewoman I am cautioning you all about "over-intellectualization"

Guy has argy bargy in love triangle - gets knifed.

Guy gets robbed by evil taxi driver - gets knifed.

Bad stuff happens. We have to deal with that.

Forget about post-modern irony in pre-apocalyptic scenarios.

Sorry to jump back to the start of the thread and go a bit :o but ummm

Jai Yen has been likened to the cool icy aloofness of British - but its inaccurate - because behind a Pommy's icy carapace they can warm up and be friendly

What?? What??? :D:D

We arn't cool icy (oxymoron there) and aloof. We just give folk a bit of space and try not to bother anyone. At least in England. Maybe it has something to do with the warm beer and cold pies?? :D

Nice to know we can warm up a bit though. Bleedin' Nora mate :D

ok, sorry, back to the topic......