Voltage Converter

tewjere

Anyone know where to find a voltage converter? We have several electrical items from the States (110v) that will not work with 220v. I have seen numerous "adapters" but can't seem to find an actual converter. I have looked at Home Pro, Big C (bottom), Jungceylon and the place across from Central.....all with no luck.

The usual 110v/220v convertor/adapter is usually a heavy brown coloured thing (I won't say that it looks like a bare transformer because that will probably mean nothing to you).

If the power requirement of your equipment is of the two thin narrow round pin variety then these will prove to be unsuitable due to a 'bad fit' - but that generally goes for all Thai power couplings, even the three pin on most occasions.

Take your actual power plug along to a decent electrical shop and tell them you want a step up transformer from US 120v to Thai 220v and make sure that the connector you get allows a secure fit.

Might also be worth checking if the power requirements of your equipment are rated 120v to 240v as a lot of power supplies are quite adaptable nowadays.

We have several electrical items from the States (110v) that will not work with 220v.
Keep in your mind that a pure voltage conversion might not be the only problem. The power here is 50 cycles whereas in the US it is 60 Hz as far as I know. So you might get more problems if the applicance is running for example with a motor synchronized to the power frequency.

The main concern is the watt draw of the electrical items you are attempting to use. The step down converter will be rated in watts. A electric toothbrush can use a small converter but a electric hair dryer needs much more. You probably already know this but check the rating on the appliance, if it is 110-240v then you have no problem, it will work here. If it is limited to 120v then I recommend KEEHIN Electric. They are on ByPass Road on the outbound side going away from Lotus. The have transformers from 300w to 2500+. Also in the groundfloor of BigC there is an electric supply shop(the name escapes me) in the opposite end from the food court. They have everything from bicycles to self contained petrol stations(I'm not kidding) and also step down converters. Many have noted the freq difference 50 htz vs 60 htz but I have not had any problems with this.

P

:)

What you are looking for is technically called a stepdown transformer. It has two coils, one for 240 input and one for 120 output. It will be big and heavy, because it has a lot of wire coiled together. Often there will be taps, or a switch that you can change to vary the ouput voltage slightly.

The wattage is the important thing. You need to be sure your output wattage is enough for the equipment you are running of the 120 volt side. Think PIE or Power(in watts)= I (current in amps) times E (voltage). So at 120 volts a device drawing 3 amps you need a minimum of 360 watts. But you want at least a 50% excess for a temporary spike. So at least 500 watts for that example.

The frequency problem is really only important for those devices that use motors in them. A 60Hz motor won't run well on a 50Hz current and vice versa. But often small motors now are capable of running on both without too many bad results. It is possible to get a spindle you can place in small motors to effectively change the speed of the output of the motor to compensate for the frequency, you probably would have to look in a speciality electronics shop to find such a thing.

I've found some autotransformers (stepdown and stepup transformers) in Central, the electronics and home appliance area. But the selection was limited. You might need to ask the attendent. You may have to search a bit through the department/home repair stores in Bangkok.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Anyone know where to find a voltage converter? We have several electrical items from the States (110v) that will not work with 220v. I have seen numerous "adapters" but can't seem to find an actual converter. I have looked at Home Pro, Big C (bottom), Jungceylon and the place across from Central.....all with no luck.

If you want an export quality step-down transformer and truly want to protect your electronics. Please view this link: <http://www.bahtsold.com/print_view.kode?id=43875> Thanks

Edited by tpthai2

Replace your 110v items with 240v It will be simpler and cheaper, much less trouble for you :)

Thanks for the replies, should be able to make progress now.....finally!

In a nutshell, don't worry too much about the frequency (cycles) as most small appliances will cope with the difference.

The main thing is the load/draw of current........for example heating elements etc, as they can pull quite a few amps.

Also do you really want a large (if the load/draw/amps are substantial) transformer sitting on your kitchen top?. Appliances are so cheap here it would be worth investigating buying them here.

ima-farang

The frequency problem is really only important for those devices that use motors in them. A 60Hz motor won't run well on a 50Hz current and vice versa. But often small motors now are capable of running on both without too many bad results.

Dunno about this Hertz business.

I was a printer in NZ, 240v - 50Hz.

My machine from US, had 25hp - 60 Hz motor.

Ran faultlessly on 50Hz the 10 years I was using it.

• 9 months later...
I have two of them that I don't use anymore...send me a personal message and we can sort it out. I live in Phuket town.

I need one too! about 300+ watt... for my U.S. wall warts, for my guitar setup! Please help!

Lincoln

Koh Tao, Thailand