Home Improvements & Work Permit

Is it legal for one to do construction repairs and or upgrades to ones own house (leased) without a work permit? Example, replacing a door, pouring a concrete patio, adding a large outdoor planter, building a outdoor barbque enclosure etc. This is a discussion some friends have been having, the common thinking is that it is normally not a problem, but is it actually exempted in the work permit regs......

AFAIK nothing is exempt. But unless someone has it out for you do not believe you would have any problem. I did much work in younger days and have a number of high ranking police within eyesight and only feedback we got was they wish they knew how to do repairs.

Nothing to worry about...

When I asked for my One year visa (Thai spouse), as they usually do, I got the visit of two immigration inspectors.

I was wearing only shorts and obviously building a kitchen counter; they said it looked good and one of them asked me about a special tool on the floor, I showed him how to use it. I don't think it even crossed their mind that I was "working"!

My wife was not even there that afternoon... they ask our neighbors if they knew me. Later, our neighbors told my wife that they confirmed we were both living there, that they saw us doing some painting together, etc...

I guess they wrote everything in their report... I got the visa...

I ve done plumbing, electrical, some landscaping and lots more on our property. All this while neighbours and construction crews were looking on. Got some nice comments, even a few women around said they are jealous since they have lazy husbands :D

I never worry about doing work here at home. I sometimes help at my Thai friend's hardware store since he's on his own most of the time.

Some days, all I do is change a lightbulb, keeps the wife happy! :o