Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

Out of curiosity, this thread must be heading very close to the record length of a thread now?

No?

You have not heard of the infamous Rain thread then Travel?

:D

Or the one about the 150 TBH ATM charge.

i think THAT one is at 73 pages and still gping strong :)

Penkoprod

Not quite as amusing as the rain thread but the 'Uk settlement waiting times' thread has racked up 95 Pages in 6 months. I dare say there are longer/faster growing threads out there :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that the US government would approve of their military personnel committing violence against citizens of one of their major allies in SE Asia and probably provoking a major diplomatic incident rather than allowing the due process of law to take place.

i would say that the British commander should be under investigation for his handling of an incident involving a civillian. his attitude was incendiary and had violence erupted he would have been to blame. Another typical example of someone with no real authority in this situation demanding respect. At the very least he should havee contained the situation until the thai authorities arrived.

So far the brits are coming off much worse in this"documentary" than the thais (with the exception of JJ).

^the Thai authorities were there, but not shown on camera. They tacitly approved of JJ's tactics. The marine police handled things quite well, and deserves a medal. If anything he was too soft with JJ.
^the thai authorities were there, but not shown on camera. They tacitly approved of JJ's tactics.

The marine police handled things quite well, and deserves a medal. If anything he was too soft with JJ.

To which I like to add that the officer in charge, Royal Marine Police Sergeant Tim Wright, handling the dispute between JJ and Marine Tebbott, mentioned:

".....The case of Marine Tebbott was not the only case of extortion I had to deal with, not by far.” :)

From the link Phuketrex provided, earlier.

LaoPo

wake up wake up see it as you see it culture face my shi" wake up see it as it is. Thailand is sinking and i do not want to see this either. :D

I've just watched the latest episode. Things that spring to mind:

There's a lot of talk about 'the police' which all seems to be about the Tourist Police Volunteers. A number of times there's talk of 'the police' arresting people. Precisely what powers of arrest (or what legal powers at all) do the TVP have?

There's a segment where a drunken tourist allegedly steals a mobile phone from one of the TVP. The only evidence presented is that Howard Miller says so. Miller then commits assault by slapping the alleged offender on the head. The offender is then put into the 'police' van. Shortly afterwards Miller says that the offender is 'bleeding quite profusely' and then sniggers.

Despite the macho posturing by some of the TPV, and the use of the phrase "lock up" on a couple of occasions, they have no formal powers of arrest.

UK seeks action against jetski thugs emailButton.png By Chatsuriya jetskithugs.jpgA foreign couple negotiating with a jetski worker in Chaweng

The British Embassy in Bangkok has asked the Royal Thai Police to look into abuses allegedly being perpetrated by jet-ski operators on Koh Samui. The embassy’s action was in response to complaints from British tourists of alleged assaults, harassments and abuses from jet-ski workers on Chaweng Beach.

In a letter, the embassy cited a particular case of a tourist from England who visited the island last month. According to the embassy, the tourist was attacked in the presence of other tourists by jet-ski after he refused to pay the “exorbitant” amount being demanded for a scratch on the jet-ski he had rented.

The operators allegedly asked for several thousand pounds sterling for the scratch, which was said to have happened at sea. The embassy said this was just one of a number of complaints they had received about abusive jet-ski operators on Samui.

Acting on the embassy’s request, Pol. Col. Saharat Saksinlapachai, superintendent of the Bophut police station on the island, ordered his deputy, Pol. Lt. Col. Boonma Kaewlaoet, to hold an urgent dialogue with jet-ski operators from Chaweng, Lamai and Maret beaches to address issues raised by the UK Embassy.

In that meeting, held July 27, the jet-ski owners were told they had no right to seize the passport of tourists they hold responsible for any damage to their jet-skis. Operators also agreed that damage-claim disputes should be settled between operators and tourists in the presence of the police to ensure fairness and equity.

On Christmas Day in 2007, three jet-ski workers assaulted two foreign tourists for refusing to pay for the supposed damage to the jet-ski they had rented. The attack, done in broad daylight, was caught on camera by other tourists and sequence photos of the incident were posted in the Internet and published by local newspapers, including Samui Express.

Two of the three attackers were later arrested and fined Bt1,000 each for the attack.

google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

I am in no way defending our JJ, but having watched the uncut version and his interview, I do see it all in a different light. As for the sargeant/captain chap who arrive to stand up for the marines.. well, I don't think he covered himself in much glory either.

I downloaded episode 3 this morning from mininova (couldn't find it on YouTube) and it was quite good. I'm enjoying this.

At the very least he should havee contained the situation until the thai authorities arrived.
You can watch the uncut version of the US Marines for what happens when the authorities are involved. It's nearly identical, except the scene occurs with a couple of police standing in the background gesturing to the kid that he should pay JJ. I can't recall if they go back for their cut on film or not.

the 'Uk settlement waiting times' thread has racked up 95 Pages in 6 months. I dare say there are longer/faster growing threads out there :)

Random Posts in Bedlam is on page 169.

Also forgot to mention to The Last Word in same forum which is on page 364!

--

How about the guy running away from the whore. What a wimp. He should have flipped 10 baht in her mush.

I am in no way defending our JJ, but having watched the uncut version and his interview, I do see it all in a different light. As for the sargeant/captain chap who arrive to stand up for the marines.. well, I don't think he covered himself in much glory either.

I downloaded episode 3 this morning from mininova (couldn't find it on YouTube) and it was quite good. I'm enjoying this.

Agreed, Enjoying it only because its about Thailand.

Hurrah for Big TITT. A different one featured every week :)

Pat the Katoey was rather amusing.... ladyboy know what men like and how to please man because they were men too. :) (not sure what that has to do with a supposed Thai version of Cops) :D

Also what the hel_l was the bg (hostess) talking about - I spend 1hr with man at the bar he no pay me? :D Lad says: "I buy her drinks" Something else going on that we dont know about because that doesnt make much sense? The bargirl seemed crazed and was following the lad everywhere til he managed to escape on motorbike taxi.

Pat the Katoey was rather amusing.... ladyboy know what men like and how to please man because they were men too. :) (not sure what that has to do with a supposed Thai version of Cops) :D

Also what the hel_l was the bg (hostess) talking about - I spend 1hr with man at the bar he no pay me? :D Lad says: "I buy her drinks" Something else going on that we dont know about because that doesnt make much sense? The bargirl seemed crazed and was following the lad everywhere til he managed to escape on motorbike taxi.

Brit she did admit to only sitting down with him, I could see no evidence from her (in what she said) that anything else had occurred.

Ok maybe there was a bit edited out that is possible.

^I know that sort things go on in karaoke bars, pay for time with hostesses. First time I heard a bg trying that one on. Makes good tele though - had a good laff.

She wanted a bonus for time spent ......... on top of her lady drinks!

It is possible that she thought she was onto a good thing. Then found out she was on a hiding to nothing and wanted compensation for her wasted time. jmo

Didn't think episode three was as entertaining as the first couple, but there were a couple of highlights such as the deranged BG demanding money, and the Kosovon who had stolen one of the Police volunteers phones, and then the van keys. I wonder how long he will spending in BB in Thailand :)

the Kosovon who had stolen one of the Police volunteers phones, and then the van keys.

I found it quite amusing that rather than let the legal system take it's course that Thai guy ( I assume he was the van driver) clambered over people to lump the Kosovan one. :)

Also enjoyed Howards interpretation of helping tourists - crack them on the back of the head, help them into a police van, then smile to camera while said tourist 'resists arrest' :)

Regardless of the fact that he was a thieving little toerag, scenes like that are why people have negative views of the TPV. Only seems to be the Pattaya branch acting that way though.

What's the big deal with the Bigtroubleinthailand channel at Youtube which used to have all the uncut jet ski and marines film, it's all been deleted. Wonder why. Is this something about the producers being threatening by the police? But why delete all uncut film which could be used as against the jet ski scam owners, proving it wasn't staged.