Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

I suppose one has to think about what would be acceptable in a professional law enforcement setting. The drunk man was no threat and was only pathetic. Sort of like smacking a old person with Alzheimers. You can do it, but is it necessary or warranted?

I think policing is absolutely necessary in a place like Walking Street, but I still am not sure why Thais can't police segments of their own country.

1. "Police beat down an old man..."....New Orleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6BsZUuZmr4&NR=1

2. Of course Police is necessary in places like Pattaya/Walking Street but at the same time it's the only place in the world where (sometimes untrained and unqualified) Foreign Police Volunteers are assisting the local police authorities on the streets; Thailand is still a third world corrupt country if it comes to policing...

Ever seen (Asian) Foreign Police Volunteers in the streets of Spain, Greece, Miami or Byron Bay to control drunk and aggressive tourists? :)

Believe me, there are more drunk and aggressive foreign tourists in a single tourist village/town in Spain alone than there are on Walking Street/Pattaya and the Spanish Police is quite capable of controlling those "animals"; they don't need Foreign Volunteers to help them.

They lock them for 24 or 48 hours. Simple, and they should do the same in Pattaya cs. Lock them for 24/48 hours on water and bread; that'll teach them :D

LaoPo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do they show how the T P are spies for the immigration police and the other police in the brown shirts waiting to exploit the poor farang.... sorry i guess i have been here too long...... but by personal experience of good cop TP and bad cop B S i am afraid it is true.... no amount of pretty picture gloss will cover the facts....

The main point I am trying to make in my posts is that the TPV are touted as being there to help tourists and re-assure them, yet some of them seem to be acting beyond their remit.

Contrast the Samui officers taking time to sit with an arrested girl and explain what is happening, or helping out injured tourists at the Full Moon party, with the Pattaya ones who seem to enjoy getting involved in confrontations that are nothing to do with them and acting as though they are sworn police officers with full powers.

Guess the program wouldn't be as exciting if it was just them sat in an office all night or giving directions to lost tourists though :)

I don't know, I wouldn't want their job and they seem to be doing a decent job as liaisons between tourists and the Thai police. At least they are trying to give something back to their community which is more than most of us do...

The main point I am trying to make in my posts is that the TPV are touted as being there to help tourists and re-assure them, yet some of them seem to be acting beyond their remit.

Contrast the Samui officers taking time to sit with an arrested girl and explain what is happening, or helping out injured tourists at the Full Moon party, with the Pattaya ones who seem to enjoy getting involved in confrontations that are nothing to do with them and acting as though they are sworn police officers with full powers.

Guess the program wouldn't be as exciting if it was just them sat in an office all night or giving directions to lost tourists though :)

I don't know, I wouldn't want their job and they seem to be doing a decent job as liaisons between tourists and the Thai police. At least they are trying to give something back to their community which is more than most of us do...

What exactly do they give back to their community? Referring to the Pattaya TPV. I've never seen them do anything that requires a black uniform to carry out. Perhaps a little tin badge would be sufficient!

The point should be why is a FOREIGN VOLUNTEER involved in a situation like that at all. They have NO authority to be touching anyone, and in any country with a functioning legal system would themselves be arrested for ASSAULT. If the situation deteriorates to the extent that certain persons are saying they'd like to smack someone around, the VOLUNTEERS should back off and allow REAL policemen to deal with the situation.

Wearing a black uniform and driving around in the "crapmobile" as if they are important does not, and will never, make any foreigner a THAI policeman.

If they want to make a difference, try removing all the children ILLEGALLY being exploited by adults, on Walking Street. Surely even a TPV can see them, or is that TOO HARD. Perhaps the TPV can't actually arrest anyone, but they could stand in front of them and ask people not to give them money. I'm talking specifically about the little girl who is forced to do contortions. When she grows up she will have lifelong back problems. But again, doing something about that is obviously in the "too hard" category.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

What exactly do they give back to their community? Referring to the Pattaya TPV. I've never seen them do anything that requires a black uniform to carry out. Perhaps a little tin badge would be sufficient!

The point should be why is a FOREIGN VOLUNTEER involved in a situation like that at all. They have NO authority to be touching anyone, and in any country with a functioning legal system would themselves be arrested for ASSAULT. If the situation deteriorates to the extent that certain persons are saying they'd like to smack someone around, the VOLUNTEERS should back off and allow REAL policemen to deal with the situation.

Wearing a black uniform and driving around in the "crapmobile" as if they are important does not, and will never, make any foreigner a THAI policeman.

If they want to make a difference, try removing all the children ILLEGALLY being exploited by adults, on Walking Street. Surely even a TPV can see them, or is that TOO HARD. Perhaps the TPV can't actually arrest anyone, but they could stand in front of them and ask people not to give them money. I'm talking specifically about the little girl who is forced to do contortions. When she grows up she will have lifelong back problems. But again, doing something about that is obviously in the "too hard" category.

Oh, sorry for using a rude word. I should have said "wearing a black uniform and driving around in the "cranium mobile" does not......

( because when they bulldoze their way along a crowded Walking Street, scattering tourists to all sides, they look like a right bunch of Richards ).

Oh, sorry for using a rude word. I should have said "wearing a black uniform and driving around in the "cranium mobile" does not......

( because when they bulldoze their way along a crowded Walking Street, scattering tourists to all sides, they look like a right bunch of Richards ).

I think you will find it is a thai driving the cranuim mobile as you put it.

I suppose one has to think about what would be acceptable in a professional law enforcement setting. The drunk man was no threat and was only pathetic. Sort of like smacking a old person with Alzheimers. You can do it, but is it necessary or warranted?

I think policing is absolutely necessary in a place like Walking Street, but I still am not sure why Thais can't police segments of their own country.

1. "Police beat down an old man..."....New Orleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6BsZUuZmr4&NR=1

2. Of course Police is necessary in places like Pattaya/Walking Street but at the same time it's the only place in the world where (sometimes untrained and unqualified) Foreign Police Volunteers are assisting the local police authorities on the streets; Thailand is still a third world corrupt country if it comes to policing...

Ever seen (Asian) Foreign Police Volunteers in the streets of Spain, Greece, Miami or Byron Bay to control drunk and aggressive tourists? :)

Believe me, there are more drunk and aggressive foreign tourists in a single tourist village/town in Spain alone than there are on Walking Street/Pattaya and the Spanish Police is quite capable of controlling those "animals"; they don't need Foreign Volunteers to help them.

They lock them for 24 or 48 hours. Simple, and they should do the same in Pattaya cs. Lock them for 24/48 hours on water and bread; that'll teach them :D

LaoPo

to my very dismal understanding why can an individual act in an inappropriate manner. where ever the <deleted>** you come from.

The sadest thing is that Howard does not seem to realise that his comments in his last few posts are not doing Thailand's image any good at all

His image is already beyond the pale, so no issue with that.

Correct. There are Thai volunteers too.

I have never been able to work out why they have to drive the cranium mobile anyway. Back before they had that, if there was a requirement to transport something the police just drove a pickup down. It only takes 5 minutes to walk one end of the Street to the other.

I have frequented Walking Street since before it was a "walking street" back in the day when the discos never closed till long after sun up and the barbeers never closed, so have seen it evolve over the years. Can't understand why only it requires the presence of our "black shirt heroes" while Naklua Rd and Sois 2, 6, 7, 8, Soi Yamato, Soi Post Office, the Boystown area, Sunee Plaza and all the other myriad streets of pleasure in Pattaya are bereft of their attentions.

Incidentally, I noticed on a "trailer" for the TV programme that one of the farang TVPs was wielding a truncheon while frog marching someone along! What law allows a farang to assault anyone in Thailand? it just gets worse and worse. As if the corrupt police weren't bad enough, we now have farangs running around with truncheons to bludgeon people. Will the next thing be that they are rounding up the ladies on Beach Rd to get their "cut"?

I have never been able to work out why they have to drive the cranium mobile anyway. Back before they had that, if there was a requirement to transport something the police just drove a pickup down. It only takes 5 minutes to walk one end of the Street to the other.

I have frequented Walking Street since before it was a "walking street" back in the day when the discos never closed till long after sun up and the barbeers never closed, so have seen it evolve over the years. Can't understand why only it requires the presence of our "black shirt heroes" while Naklua Rd and Sois 2, 6, 7, 8, Soi Yamato, Soi Post Office, the Boystown area, Sunee Plaza and all the other myriad streets of pleasure in Pattaya are bereft of their attentions.

Incidentally, I noticed on a "trailer" for the TV programme that one of the farang TVPs was wielding a truncheon while frog marching someone along! What law allows a farang to assault anyone in Thailand? it just gets worse and worse. As if the corrupt police weren't bad enough, we now have farangs running around with truncheons to bludgeon people. Will the next thing be that they are rounding up the ladies on Beach Rd to get their "cut"?

There are TPV all over Thailand,both Thai and farang.They give a great deal of there time to help those in need.get off there backs!!!!!!~

There are TPV all over Thailand,both Thai and farang.They give a great deal of there time to help those in need.get off there backs!!!!!!~

I've no problem with those that genuinely want to help those in trouble. It's the ones that want to be "cops" that I wonder about.

Why all the negativity to Howard and the TPV?

Some people either miss the point, get caught on semantics or miss their old law enforcement job too much, and feel justified in denegrating the TPV efforts because they don't adhere to "standard" procedure. God forbid Howard told us his thoughts and we condemn him for them.

If you all feel confident that you can communicate with the Thai Police, will be treated fairly by the Thai police force and the Thai legal system, then I would agree, no need for the TPV....but I suspect you have never had to use the Thai police yet.

Whatever good they do, no matter how small, I can't help by think the TPV deserve support rather than ridicule.

Some people either miss the point, get caught on semantics or miss their old law enforcement job too much, and feel justified in denegrating the TPV efforts because they don't adhere to "standard" procedure. God forbid Howard told us his thoughts and we condemn him for them.

If you all feel confident that you can communicate with the Thai Police, will be treated fairly by the Thai police force and the Thai legal system, then I would agree, no need for the TPV....but I suspect you have never had to use the Thai police yet.

Whatever good they do, no matter how small, I can't help by think the TPV deserve support rather than ridicule.

If you read the posts the "negativity" is toward Howard not the TVPs - which in itself is a good sound concept. Just look at the way he acts in the videos.

If you read the posts the "negativity" is toward Howard not the TVPs - which in itself is a good sound concept. Just look at the way he acts in the videos.

Actually, if you read the thread there is a lot of negativity to the TPV - questioning why they are there, what value they add and why Spain can do without similar such TPV.

I have watched Tourist Trouble in Thailand and personally feel Howard comes of ok. It's a tough job dealing with all the drunken fools in Pattaya, as well as the drug affected, crazy batsh1t bargirls and ladyboy's, especially when he doesn't have a lot of power.

I'm not sure how you think he should behave, but I think he shows a calm attitude and deals with situations well. Hope when I get in trouble he or his guys are around to at least tell me whats going on and keep me informed.

I think much of the negativity comes from a feeling of "Us vs Them" when it comes to the Thai police (who don't exactly cover themselves in glory) that then spawns feelings that the foreign volunteers are letting "us" down by becoming one of "them". It may not be right out in the open, but I suspect it's bubbling near the surface.

Then you need to take into account the posters who don't care much for the police, or authority figures in general, no matter where they are.

I think much of the negativity comes from a feeling of "Us vs Them" when it comes to the Thai police (who don't exactly cover themselves in glory) that then spawns feelings that the foreign volunteers are letting "us" down by becoming one of "them". It may not be right out in the open, but I suspect it's bubbling near the surface.

I'd say you have it right.

Think its jealousy at the end of the day. Any rate before you whinge why don't you setup an appt with Howard and be an observer for the night. Of Course none of these anonymous muppets will do so for fear of being wrong.

i think it would be fair to say that the thai police force is one of the most corrupt and unjust anywhere in the world, who would want to assist them, and for what reason is beyond me.------ ps before you start whinging howard and his assistants are only doing it help the tourists,--- yeh rite --- get a life

^only one who needs a life is you mate. Get off your arse and do smth rather than whinge. :)

is that not why we are on this forum---- ie to put our views across --- or is it only the ones you agree with that you want to read ---- ps get of your arse and go read something you agree with

:D

What I am saying is get out and help rather than do nothing but whinge. Least lads are out there doing smth - sure u can debate their motivations for volunteering. But they are giving their time when they can be sat at home or elsewhere while world passes them by. I admire volunteers. :)

TPV assistants are limited what they can do. I wish we saw them making patrols along 2nd Rd and especially Beach Rd where it needs it. (visibility deters crime and in the end will help tourists)

just in case no one mentioned it, did you see when the thai police officer slapped the suspected thief on the stomach? I hardly think the bald farangs (sorry, forgot his name) back slap is worth so much scrutiny.

I mentioned it in post 886, But no comment from anyone.

Some members on here only see what they want to see.

Think its jealousy at the end of the day. Any rate before you whinge why don't you setup an appt with Howard and be an observer for the night. Of Course none of these anonymous muppets will do so for fear of being wrong.

i think it would be fair to say that the thai police force is one of the most corrupt and unjust anywhere in the world, who would want to assist them, and for what reason is beyond me.------ ps before you start whinging howard and his assistants are only doing it help the tourists,--- yeh rite --- get a life

Perousing

You know it might be a good idea if you lifted a finger to help people.

Instead of lifting it to post crap on here.

Get a life yourself

Perousing

You know it might be a good idea if you lifted a finger to help people.

Instead of lifting it to post crap on here.

Get a life yourself

so you think my opinion is crap!!!! ----and yours are!!!! ----- how would you know what i do or dont do regards lifting my finger to help people,----- or is that just your opinion!!!!!!!!! we all have our own opinions, like it or not so keep your vulgarities to yourself or you might just lose the respect of those who respect you.---only my opinion :)