Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

If Thailand is smart, she should stop this program at all cost.

Put the producer in jail.

Block youtube again like what they have done in the past.

Any one found distributing the clips in email, CD should also be fine or go to jail.

Better do it sooner than later.

Some has been in Thailand too long. :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stories from the volunteer in Chiang Mai should have been given more time. I know the street brawls in Pattaya make for cheap TV thrills but the biggest danger in Thailand is probably the idiotic way that westerners abandon common sense when driving here. No helmet, flip-flops, drunk, and on a motorcycle.

Also, the narrator who can't pronounce Thai names, also has never encountered a deaf person. They can't hear themselves so when they yell it sounds different. Yet here we have this stupid narrator talking about how the man was "barking like a dog" to stir things up. :) Very poor taste.

Also, the narrator who can't pronounce Thai names, also has never encountered a deaf person. They can't hear themselves so when they yell it sounds different. Yet here we have this stupid narrator talking about how the man was "barking like a dog" to stir things up. :) Very poor taste.

I thought that comment was in extremely bad taste as well....shoot the script writer!!!!

Grabbing hold of a mute by his face is not 'extremely bad taste' though is it?

Leave the physical aspect of the job to the proper authorites, otherwise it's only be a matter of time before a 'Volunteer' ends up injured or worse. Fortunatly it's only one member of the Foreign 'Volunteers' that has been documented in this program laying down the law in a physical manner, unfortunatly he is the group leader and should be setting a good example to the rest of the group.

If they want to get physical they should go try arrest JJ and his band of thugs or many groups that run similar scams. Somehow I don't think calls of "DO NOT RESIST would work in this scenario. However it seems that JJ and HM have a lot in common with regards to getting in on the limelight. Maybe they could host their own show or something?

Just seen Episode 4 and once again the so-called tourist police assistants are shown to be totally useless, hilarious and abusing their powers.In Pattaya they make a bad situation worse by putting some deaf people together with those they argued with and it just causes another raucous. Miller comes across as smug and stupid. As to another one Paul H-he claims he saved a girl's life. What a load of baloney, talk about ego, it has no bounds with these jokers.

A bunch of losers.

As to that Robert Nobody in Chiang Mai yet another "volunteer" who is some kind of voyeur as note the glee he expresses when he talks about deadly traffic accidents he has witnessed.

Then the female volunteer in Phuket who comes across as more distraught and frightened re the Phuket air crash then any of the surviving victims.

Dear oh dear: some police volunteer!

Do not these pretend police realise they are now the laughing stock of the world?!

Edited by R123

One thing i did think when watching the scene with the deaf people was,'I wonder if that Adidas shop sells any decent trainers'.

This weeks episodes really were that interesting.

Oh,and the 'barking like a dog' comment was unreal,how on earth can the producer/narrator get away with that?

PST.

One thing i did think when watching the scene with the deaf people was,'I wonder if that Adidas shop sells any decent trainers'.

This weeks episodes really were that interesting.

Oh,and the 'barking like a dog' comment was unreal,how on earth can the producer/narrator get away with that?

PST.

I am going to have to watch this episode again, As i am sure it was not one of the deaf people making a noise like a dog. It was one of the other party.

But not 100% sure so will check again.

Having just watched that clip again, It was the guy in the blue shirt that was doing the barking.

He as far as i can make out is not one of the deaf tourists. Perhaps howard will clarify that.

All the narrator said was that someone was trying make the situation worse by barking like a dog.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with his comments.

going back to the video on the "barking" incident, after reviewing it several times, it looks like the the guy sitting down on the right side of the screen that is making the barking noise, and in sequence with raising his right hand the

link will take you straight to barking incident

Yes that is what i saw.

The stories from the volunteer in Chiang Mai should have been given more time. I know the street brawls in Pattaya make for cheap TV thrills but the biggest danger in Thailand is probably the idiotic way that westerners abandon common sense when driving here. No helmet, flip-flops, drunk, and on a motorcycle.

although I agree with you with the above, it doesnt make good telly as most have seen it before at home. But add in some scamming jetski op with a gun, ladyboys fighting tourists, drug dealers in a foreign prison, yadda yadda yadda, its a prime time hit

I don't know what program you used to do that but you should prepare yourself for Episode 4, now that will get you lot talking.

watched the scuffle on episode 4, wasnt that good really

was hoping for an all out brawl :)

did they edit most out? Had more bark than bite :D

Edited by Donnyboy

I don't know what program you used to do that but you should prepare yourself for Episode 4, now that will get you lot talking.

watched the scuffle on episode 4, wasnt that good really

was hoping for an all out brawl :)

did they edit most out? Had more bark than bite :D

That scene was filmed in April 2008 for the original pilot of the show so my memories of the incident are sketchy. It wasn't much of a fight because we managed to control it and prevent it from turning into an all out brawl. If I remember correctly, one of the fighters was injured in the fight (I think it was a small cut to the face). I really can't remember if the "barker" was one of the deaf people or not. If it wasn't then I suppose the narrator was justified to comment as he did. Sorry but this was a year and half ago. What the scene did not show is the follow-up at the Police Station where everyone was fined for public order offences.

What do you really expect from untrained personnel undertaking a job which requires dedicated training?

The sooner they take away the uniforms, give them nice white T Shirts which read 'Tourist Assistance" or similar, then this whole issue can be put to bed.

Sadly, what ever they may think, they are not Police.

Even Community Police in the UK have to undergo strict screening procedures and then months of full rigorous Police training before they are allowed on the streets.

The whole police volunteer idea is a bad mistake and a potentially fatal one should God forbid, there ever be a major incident in Pattaya. One could imagine there would be chaos enough with the regular force, with a group of untrained amateurs getting in the way it could cost lives.

Khun Fart.... What makes you think they do not have dedicated training? I recall they have parachute jump training, marksman, first aid and dare say basic law enforcement knowledge and procedural training specifically geared towards the volunteer assistants.

Sure HM can comment on their training aspects? :)

From being a former volunteer medic in a Fire Brigade, I can tell you first hand the best experience one can get is from actual day to day incidents. No training is more valuable than experience itself.

I thought that comment was in extremely bad taste as well....shoot the script writer!!!!

Watch the scene closely. The Thai tourist police volunteer protects the "barker' from a Thai cop that wants to hit him with his bat.

"Khun Fart.... What makes you think they do not have dedicated training? I recall they have parachute jump training, marksman, first aid and dare say basic law enforcement knowledge and procedural training specifically geared towards the volunteer assistants."

Parachute training and Marksman training? Scarcely relevant to the job?

On the job experience may be a good way to learn, however people react in different ways. What if they should crumble under the pressure of a major situation? Its not much use then. Would you feel safe and secure in the knowledge that should a major incident occur, your life and that of your loved ones could be in the hands of under prepared amateurs who are getting their experience 'on the job'?

Judging from what I have seen so far, it is pretty apparent that whatever training the have had is hugely inadequate. They can't even deal efficiently with a drunk. Maybe they should have had a drunken parachutist on their training and tried to arrest him half way down.

Khun Fart.... What makes you think they do not have dedicated training? I recall they have parachute jump training, marksman, first aid and dare say basic law enforcement knowledge and procedural training specifically geared towards the volunteer assistants.

Sure HM can comment on their training aspects? :)

From being a former volunteer medic in a Fire Brigade, I can tell you first hand the best experience one can get is from actual day to day incidents. No training is more valuable than experience itself.

We have some of the toughest vetting procedures in place here in Pattaya than any other volunteer group around Thailand. I am not willing to go into the finer details of the process, but I have to say that even these procedures are not full proof as detailed checks from Thailand and the members country of origin are easily obtained by us, but who knows what they may have done in another country! It is my responsibility in Pattaya to closely monitor everyone in the group and act when information is received by me concerning the actions of a member of the group which requires further investigation. I work very closely with my superior who is a Police Captain responsible for our group and ask him, as a Police Officer, to investigate when needed.

Regarding training, we are constantly being trained and retrained, not because the Police want this but because I, as the Group Leader of the Pattaya Branch want the group to know as much as possible and to be prepared for any eventuality. For example we will soon be holding a basic fire fighting course and a further self-defense course which will include instruction on restaining techniques. We don't publicise all training courses we attended because we don't need to. We are in no way accountable to anyone on chat forums or within the expat community, only to the Tourist Police who allow us to do what we do. However if anyone has a problem with a Tourist Police Volunteer/Assistant from Pattaya or anywhere around Thailand I urge you to make a formal complaint to your local Tourist Police Station. If you do have a complaint you must back up any claims with evidence.

I think that anyone who has been around Thailand long enough knows that complaining about the Pattaya Tourist guys or any other of the police affiliates would be a futile effort - unless you have 'means' to back up the claims of course.

Like I mentioned earlier, the main gripe is about the para-military uniform with the 'Batman' belts. Maybe TAT would even be interested in sponsoring a more approachable uniform? I'm sure that TAT would come up with a uniform more fitting image of Thailand that they are trying desperatly to sell to the rest of the world.

If I was the in the 'Group Leaders' position I would do something to tone down the image ASAP, before the issue does get in Thai hands. Pink Hello Kitty armbands springs to mind :)

Edited by lordsux

What do you really expect from untrained personnel undertaking a job which requires dedicated training?

The sooner they take away the uniforms, give them nice white T Shirts which read 'Tourist Assistance" or similar, then this whole issue can be put to bed.

Sadly, what ever they may think, they are not Police.

Even Community Police in the UK have to undergo strict screening procedures and then months of full rigorous Police training before they are allowed on the streets.

The whole police volunteer idea is a bad mistake and a potentially fatal one should God forbid, there ever be a major incident in Pattaya. One could imagine there would be chaos enough with the regular force, with a group of untrained amateurs getting in the way it could cost lives.

presumbly the coppers shown in this video had training? :)

We have some of the toughest vetting procedures in place here in Pattaya than any other volunteer group around Thailand. I am not willing to go into the finer details of the process, but I have to say that even these procedures are not full proof as detailed checks from Thailand and the members country of origin are easily obtained by us, but who knows what they may have done in another country! It is my responsibility in Pattaya to closely monitor everyone in the group and act when information is received by me concerning the actions of a member of the group which requires further investigation. I work very closely with my superior who is a Police Captain responsible for our group and ask him, as a Police Officer, to investigate when needed.

Regarding training, we are constantly being trained and retrained, not because the Police want this but because I, as the Group Leader of the Pattaya Branch want the group to know as much as possible and to be prepared for any eventuality. For example we will soon be holding a basic fire fighting course and a further self-defense course which will include instruction on restaining techniques. We don't publicise all training courses we attended because we don't need to. We are in no way accountable to anyone on chat forums or within the expat community, only to the Tourist Police who allow us to do what we do. However if anyone has a problem with a Tourist Police Volunteer/Assistant from Pattaya or anywhere around Thailand I urge you to make a formal complaint to your local Tourist Police Station. If you do have a complaint you must back up any claims with evidence.

That the procedures are not full proof was proven by that Norwegian guy that apparently turned out to be a drug dealer. Further proof is that idiot with pepper spray using it on a ladyboy.

At the end of day, you are doing much more then originally was the intention with the volunteer program. As a poster pointed out from quoting the tourist police main website. Now I don't care if Pattaya has different procedures or requirements. It is plain to see that you are behaving in plain contradiction to the main purpose of why the volunteers even exits, ie. be a liason for tourists and the regular Thai police/tourist police. Conducting searches on food carts has absolutely nothing to do with assisting tourists. It's investigative work that should not be done by volunteers. At the time that you and your buddies are doing the food cart raid, a tourist might need your assistance in some matter or other.

You stated that this series would show what the volunteers really do, now in case of the Pattaya volunteers we have seen and we have just criticism. I think that you might have shot yourself in the foot with this series, as I wouldn't be surprised if some pressure is going to be applied from Bangkok to Pattaya to clean up the act.

Edited by sjaak327

I suppose this guy also had proper training.

Proper training in how to arrest a terrified 15yr old girl.

To all of the critics of Thailand and the TPV, Do you not think it would be better to wait for your country of origin to get it's act together first.

Then and only then would you be qualified to comment on another.