What Is The Thai Word For 'service'?

Guderian

Hi,

Sorry to bother you, but I've tried searching on this forum with +service +car*, and didn't get back anything helpful. I've looked on a couple of Thai dictionary websites (thai2english and thai-language), and got plenty of words but none of them that seemed to specifically relate to asking a mechanic to service your car or motorbike.

All I want to do is roll up to my local Thai repair shop and ask them to service my motorbike. Something like "Ao service motorbike, krup", but what is the correct word for service, and the correct phrase if you feel up to it?

Thanks for any help.

G

Normally you would be more specific by telling them to "check" or change (bri-en)

'Check brake' or 'Brien brake'

'Check na-man' or 'brien na-man' (oil)

'Check si-klong-agard' and 'brien' if needed (air filter)

'Brien yang' change tires.

But you could just say 'do-at saphrb rot noi lat brien arai seah' (Inspect vehicle and change anything that is broken)

Normally you would be more specific by telling them to "check" or change (bri-en)

'Check brake' or 'Brien brake'

'Check na-man' or 'brien na-man' (oil)

'Check si-klong-agard' and 'brien' if needed (air filter)

'Brien yang' change tires.

But you could just say 'do-at saphrb rot noi lat brien arai seah' (Inspect vehicle and change anything that is broken)

This is the kind of thing where you don't want a misunderstanding! Lord, I'd be nervous about doing this in my own country, lett alone here. The correct word for service is in the sense of maintenance for a vehicle is

borigarn-sorm-bam-rung (as in the famous hospital 'bam-rung-rat' = to take care or maintain health)

บริการซ่อมบำรุง

You could try 'rot pom dong rab borigarn-sorm-bam-rung na krap' - say it slowly and emphasize 'bam rung' so they know you want service and not that there is anything wrong!

Thanks, so I guess that just 'Check motorbike' will do the trick?

The last time I just waved my arms wildly and mumbled 'service', 'check', and so on and it seemed to work. I was just hoping to be a bit clearer this time.

Hi,

Sorry to bother you, but I've tried searching on this forum with +service +car*, and didn't get back anything helpful. I've looked on a couple of Thai dictionary websites (thai2english and thai-language), and got plenty of words but none of them that seemed to specifically relate to asking a mechanic to service your car or motorbike.

All I want to do is roll up to my local Thai repair shop and ask them to service my motorbike. Something like "Ao service motorbike, krup", but what is the correct word for service, and the correct phrase if you feel up to it?

Thanks for any help.

G

guderian

wanna have your bike serviced at a thai shop....?

here is the thai colloquial.... the thai mechanics would be delighted to help you, when you say these words to them.... lol

bor-ree-garn (to provide)

sur-vis (service)

hai (give to)

mor-ter-cy (bike)

noi krup (a little bit, please ) (like what you often hear--nid-noi meaning a little bit, but we drop the 'nid' part.... lol)

NOW PUT IT ALL TOGETHER INTO ONE SENTENCE.... AND PAUSE BRIEFLY BETWEEN SLATCH MARKS

bor-ree-garn / sur-vis / hai / mor-ter-cy / noi / krub

บริการ / เชอวิส / ให้ / มอเตอร์ไซร์ / หน่อย / ครับ

the above is the standard thai ok? but if you are in esarn, you might need an esarn tonation.... lol know how to 'croak' that.... lol

good luck and have fun.... wherever you may be....

Edited by nakachalet

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

G

guderian

wanna have your bike serviced at a thai shop....?

here is the thai colloquial.... the thai mechanics would be delighted to help you, when you say these words to them.... lol

bor-ree-garn (to provide)

sur-vis (service)

hai (give to)

mor-ter-cy (bike)

noi krup (a little bit, please ) (like what you often hear--nid-noi meaning a little bit, but we drop the 'nid' part.... lol)

NOW PUT IT ALL TOGETHER INTO ONE SENTENCE.... AND PAUSE BRIEFLY BETWEEN SLATCH MARKS

bor-ree-garn / sur-vis / hai / mor-ter-cy / noi / krub

บริการ / เชอวิส / ให้ / มอเตอร์ไซร์ / หน่อย / ครับ

the above is the standard thai ok? but if you are in esarn, you might need an esarn tonation.... lol know how to 'croak' that.... lol

good luck and have fun.... wherever you may be....

Agreed! Much clearer and neater than my version.

Edited by SoftWater

Service means 'bor-rí-gaan', so, no need to say both words together.

In Thai language, we would use the word 'bor-rí-gaan' with person.

As to car service, the word 'check' is better.

Just tell them to check your motorcycle, ช่วยเช็คเครื่องยนต์ให้หน่อยครับ - chûay chék krêuang-yon hâi nòi kráp.

Just tell them to check your motorcycle, ช่วยเช็คเครื่องยนต์ให้หน่อยครับ - chûay chék krêuang-yon hâi nòi kráp.

ํYoot, will this be enough to differentiate between someone wanting a regular maintenance service, and someone saying 'hey, please check my bike' (because maybe there's somthing wrong with it, but you don't know what?)

I know in English, just asking someone to 'check' your bike/car will lead to further questions about what exactly you want checked and why. If you look even slightly vague or uncertain, expect being overcharged for lots of things you didn't want/ need (this is the way of mechanics in the UK; I don't know in Thailand, I've never used one).

Would a construction like this work, or is it too "unnatural"?

ช่วยบริการซ่อมบำรุงหให้น่อยครับ

Edited by SoftWater

ํYoot, will this be enough to differentiate between someone wanting a regular maintenance service, and someone saying 'hey, please check my bike' (because maybe there's somthing wrong with it, but you don't know what?)

I know in English, just asking someone to 'check' your bike/car will lead to further questions about what exactly you want checked and why. If you look even slightly vague or uncertain, expect being overcharged for lots of things you didn't want/ need (this is the way of mechanics in the UK; I don't know in Thailand, I've never used one).

Would a construction like this work, or is it too "unnatural"?

ช่วยบริการซ่อมบำรุงหให้น่อยครับ

SoftWater, I thought of that too when I offer that sentence. But as for being Thai myself, I have no problem to answer if they ask what's wrong with the engine, so, that was the sentence I always use when talking to the mechanic.

If you say that and they ask you back, then you can say "แค่ซ่อมบำรุงเฉย ๆ" or "แค่เช็คสภาพ" in case you want a regular maintenance service. But, if there is something wrong with it, then you can say "รู้สึกเครื่องมันมีปัญหา แต่ไม่รู้ว่าอะไร ช่างช่วยดูให้หน่อย" or shorten it to "เครื่องยนต์มีปัญหา ดูให้หน่อย".

ช่วยบริการซ่อมบำรุงให้หน่อยครับ is a bit formal, but work, if you want a regular maintenance, from saying this you can expect being overcharged for things you didn't want in advance. :)

And beware of signs that promise "borikaan 24" hours as you might get more service than you were seeking.