Anyone Thinking Of Leaving Thailand If Thaksin Comes Back To Power?

drronnie

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the choice of going back to Germany or the UK, but I came here when he was in power and will stay here if he ever returns. Maybe he was a crook, but things did get done. But I really only see him getting a pardon, but not being allowed to return or collect his money.

Vietnam now allows expatriates to own land and house......by by Thaksin.....hello Vietnam..............................................!!

I heard the same about Vietnam. Me and my thai wife are also considering moving to Vietnam. Try to check it out right now.

I have the choice of going back to Germany or the UK, but I came here when he was in power and will stay here if he ever returns. Maybe he was a crook, but things did get done. But I really only see him getting a pardon, but not being allowed to return or collect his money.

Do you mind to elaborate, what "things" exactly?

Extra judiciary killing of nearly 3000 supposed drug peddlers?

Elimination of "problematic figures" at Tak Bai and Krue Sae Mosque?

The "Ratjada Land Deal"?

"Rubber Sapling" Scandal?

The Suvannabhum Scanner Affair?

......or the 30 baht health care insurance, OTOP, the "Village fund"

where thousands of farmers indebted themselves but first gave their votes to TRT?

...The Themasek Deal?

Vietnam now allows expatriates to own land and house......by by Thaksin.....Good Morning Vietnam..............................................!!

I heard the same about Vietnam. Me and my thai wife are also considering moving to Vietnam. Try to check it out right now.

Have a site,looking it now!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/16/business....1.6672707.html

# Foreigners who are residents in Vietnam can own dwelling houses but cannot sub-lease these dwellings. Foreign residents can also sell, donate, inherit, or give dwelling houses as gifts. But where they terminate their residence in Vietnam without disposal of their dwelling, 90 days after their departure from Vietnam their dwelling house certificates will automatically cease to be valid, and the Vietnamese State will manage and use their houses.

# One thing that separates real estate transactions in Vietnam from the rest of the world is it's done in pure gold. It is very important to keep this in mind when looking for a property. The buyer must be aware of the prices and conversion rates for currency to gold at all times.

Edited by Udonfarang52

Anyone thinking of leaving Thailand if Thaksin comes back to power? I am planning to give back my Thai ID and return to Germany should Thaksin ever comes back to power in Thailand.

don't be such a cry baby.

as long as fair elections are held .... without military, political, and particularly 'elite' meddling (this was the fate of previous and current governments), then the results should be respected no matter who comes to power.

if thaksin or one of his family members comes to power than part of democracy is respecting the outcome. if you can't do that, well ..... bye bye :)

Edited by mc2

Anyone thinking of leaving Thailand if Thaksin comes back to power? I am planning to give back my Thai ID and return to Germany should Thaksin ever comes back to power in Thailand.

as long as fair elections are held .... without military, political, and particularly 'elite' meddling (this was the fate of previous and current governments), then the results should be respected no matter who comes to power.

if thaksin or one of his family members comes to power than part of democracy is respecting the outcome. if you can't do that, well ..... bye bye :D

You did not mention his conviction,plus,further cases to be prosecuted.Lets not jump the gun.....!!!!!

as to the rest of your post,no comment :)

if thaksin or one of his family members comes to power than part of democracy is respecting the outcome. if you can't do that, well ..... bye bye :)

Agree.

Who are we as visitors/guest's, ex-pats etc. To say who should or should not run the country if elected by the majority of the people.

Smacks a bit of colonialism, "I say, dam_n natives don't know what's best for them Carruthers, what"??

I believe in democracy, one man = one vote (Woman included also)

Edited by tmd5855

To anyone interested,this is a site that explains owning house and land in South east Asia!!

http://www.business-in-asia.com/news/land_...heast_asia.html

This says what is typical of a Communist country. "All land belongs to the people and is managed by the State on behalf of the people. People receive land-use rights – not land ownership."

So effectively the same as Thailand. Can't own the land, can own the house.

OMG, fair elections where I come from mean elections that are not influenced by paying bribes for votes.

By the time that the tyrant run for his second term the votes were paid for using my tax money.

If those in power abuse their position then it is not a question of democracy, it is a question of what laws were broken.

Human rights violations, bribery, theft, corruption, theft, murder, etc.

Maybe a little bit of power was abused or a few laws were bent slightly but these could surely be overlooked if we all had rose coloured spectacles.

This poll is academic. He ain't coming back.

I more think within the next 6 months he will enter Thailand with people cheering and dancing in the streets.Not that it is my idea or wish,just my prediction.

BLOOD on the streets more like it. That is impossible without a bloody civil war.

This poll is academic. He ain't coming back.

I more think within the next 6 months he will enter Thailand with people cheering and dancing in the streets.Not that it is my idea or wish,just my prediction.

BLOOD on the streets more like it. That is impossible without a bloody civil war.

I didn't mention what will happen BEFORE his entrance,only the outcome.

Even if the wolf eats chalk and covers himself with sheepskin he still remains a wolf!

Genuine Democracy not a "State Incorp." where a few individuals do what they wish,

rob and steal whatever is to their likelyhood!

What you are trying to proclaim is not genuine democracy, cause if people think there

is something wrong, there should be tools in their hands to change this- to remove a corrupt system f.E.!

Remember DEMOCRACY is the PEOPLE not the Government -

\the Government should serve, support and help them - NOT the other way around!

it's like an "honest thieve" doesn't break the law, because he is an "honest man"

who made "honest mistakes" and get's away with it - it may be somehow acceptable on

very low level petty crime but should be absolutely impossible and a No. No in high positions especially

for people who managed to become the head of the government!

Why should high level multi-multi million dollar fraud be excusable, but a Kilo of weed catapults

it's owner, no way out, to the gallows?

Reminds one on the fate late Pope Gregor VII. (1073 - 1085)

who was a reformist Monk named Hildebrand BEFORE he

raised to power which absolutely corrupted this once honest monk!

Which Thomas Hobbes in his times (1588 - 1679) overlooked and misjudged

humans ability to live together and share complex constructions such as a state and

a "contract" which hands the power to state officials - in his time a king...

and the egoism's which rule every human being more or less, some allow to become

completely consumed by it's secret luring magic of wealth and power!

It took all the way from Socrates to Robespierre, a Jean Bodin, all the way to John Locke,

to Baron de Montesquieu, people like Voltaire, Leibnitz, Jean-Jacques Rousseau,

and the concentrated and bundled thoughts, Ideas, ideals,

dreams off many many good men and women to get what many of us take for granted,

trust and believe in today!

All this has gone a long way through the Inquisition, Mayflower, Teaparty,

the glorious Revolution (1688) the French Revolution, the Red October,

Weimar Republic, 1st and second world war, more wars to follow to ink history in blood

- and since - many - most republics, some authoritarian states, some Kingdoms

and some consttuional monarchies are struggling to hold this -

what took several hundred years to manifest up - and call it "

DEMOCRACY!

It won't establish by itself, it needs to be protected and nurtured, taken good care of and

sometimes defended and kept free of people who are aware which gates a top position

will open up - gates to fast and vast riches, gates to the treasury chest of the people

who gave "their power" in good trust on the safeguards of a constitution and its servants

out of their hands into the hands who promised them to guard and protect them, to help and

support them....

Here I agree with all of those who wish "Genuine Democracy" be the rule - but on these terms only!

Edited by Samuian

Sorry, if you are not Thai you can't leave - someone in needed to take the blame for the countries problems - and who is better than the corrupt, land grabbing farangs infesting the place with their western idea's and money.

Well look see its a Thaksin Mouth piece, Thaksin who has puppet strings on elastic for his henchmen here in Thailand, As he travels the world hides and gets thrown out of countries one by one when they dont want him.

If you think the disturbances of recent times were bad be ready for hel_l if a fixed election occured again and its lead instigator returned. Issan and Chiang Mai, Bribery and Corruption centre of South East Asia.

Edited by sunnymarky

Will i still be able to surf the internet, buy leo beer and have ice in it whilst not being concerned about local politics?

Yes!

in that case i'm staying put!

nu liebores over taxed violent England or my loveley condo? hard choice to make...

"This says what is typical of a Communist country. "All land belongs to the people and is managed by the State on behalf of the people. People receive land-use rights – not land ownership."

*So effectively the same as Thailand. Can't own the land, can own the house. "

Foreigners who are residents in Vietnam can own dwelling houses but cannot sub-lease these dwellings. Foreign residents can also sell, donate, inherit, or give dwelling houses as gifts. But where they terminate their residence in Vietnam without disposal of their dwelling, 90 days after their departure from Vietnam their dwelling house certificates will automatically cease to be valid, and the Vietnamese State will manage and use their houses.

Get your facts right.new legislation was passed in August!!!!!!!!

Edited by Udonfarang52

Good for you ! In such case I have to get a spare passport first, may be the Nicaraguan one.

Agree.

Who are we as visitors/guest's, ex-pats etc. To say who should or should not run the country if elected by the majority of the people.

Smacks a bit of colonialism, "I say, dam_n natives don't know what's best for them Carruthers, what"??

I believe in democracy, one man = one vote (Woman included also)

I don't think anyone is saying that it is for us to decide who runs the country. What we do have as expats is a choice; if we don't like it, we can leave. If Toxin was to come back into power I would certainly be thinking about other options - but that is my choice, and I am in a position to do that.

OMG, fair elections where I come from mean elections that are not influenced by paying bribes for votes.

Of course the Democrats would never do anything as unseemly as buying votes would they? :)