Thai Citizenship / Passport

dumbnewbie

I would, if I could maintain dual citizenship. Or if I could easily regain my original citizenship by dint of my birth and family connections.

I am not sure why anyone would want to lose their original citizenship

Most of the country say to give up when you become the citizen of that country, but not necessary. dual citizenship is possible and the best

I would not recommend not to abandon your citizenship especially if you are from a developing country, like UK, US, Ausi, etc.

Plus I do not see any advantage of being Thai citizen if that was really possible in the first place

Have any of you become citizens of Thailand?

Do you want to?

Do you know of any foreigner who has?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

What are the requirements?

Can one become a Thai citizen w/out giving up their former citizenship?

Who in his right mind would have such asperations ? Other than possibly getting away from the Visa thing , why on earth would you want to downgrade your world status , unless you are from some 'None-place' such as the one to the east .

Do you want to?

Who in his right mind would have such asperations ? Other than possibly getting away from the Visa thing , why on earth would you want to downgrade your world status , unless you are from some 'None-place' such as the one to the east .

Who? Someone that wants to buy land legally in Thailand may want to become a Thai citizen.

I would not recommend not to abandon your citizenship especially if you are from a developing country, like UK, US, Ausi, etc.

I hope this current world recession has not been so bad that you now consider the UK, US and AU as 'developing countries' ! :)

I hope this current world recession has not been so bad that you now consider the UK, US and AU as 'developing countries' ! :)

Well spotted, of course he would not consider that, it was a typographical error, or was it ?

Moreover he used the word "not" twice in the sentence in which he does not recommend change of citizenship, thus resulting in the opposite, that is to say he does recommend it, again typographical error, no doubt.

Edited by personchester

Without losing their original citizenship, IMO there are few who wouldn't. That goes for any country you choose to live in that forces you to jump through hoops, and keep losing land/house/building to local unscrupulous wives or husbands like real estate is going out of style without it. If you say you prefer that and to keep your "world status," I think you're kidding yourselves.

:)

Do you want to?

?????

read somewhere that Carl Heinke??Heinze???? German bloke....... owner of PIZZA Company + presumably also several other businesses is a naturalized Thai ......

?????

read somewhere that Carl Heinke??Heinze???? German bloke....... owner of PIZZA Company + presumably also several other businesses is a naturalized Thai ......

Bill Heinecke

Still maintains his US citizenship. His chldren that currently run Minor Internaitonal are not Thai citizens, they are US citizens.

TH

This is an issue that really gets on my nerves here in Thailand. This is the type of racism and prejudice that is really ugly. Get this:

Conversation I had with my student

Me: Where are you from?

ss: I'm from Thailand.

Me: Where are your parents from?

ss: My parents are from China.

Me: Oh, so are they citizens of Thailand now?

ss: No.

Me: So, they have Chinese citizenship and they have to travel with a Chinese passport?

ss: No. They have Thai passports.

Me: How did they get here to Thailand?

ss: They were illigetimate, illegal, they just came.

Me: So they came here without passports illegally, but now they have Thai passports?

ss: yes

Me: Are you a citizen of Thailand?

ss: yes, because I was born here.

Me: Do you know that a lot of people who are born here cannot get Thai citizenship?

ss: No, I don't know that.

Okay, so how does this Chinese guy whose parents came here illegally get citizenship (his parents get passports) while the 12 year old boy (who was born in Thailand) whose parents are legal migrants from Burma get denied a passport for 'security reasons.'

There's a large number of Chinese people in Thailand who came here illegally and they've managed to gain passports...

why?

Is anybody catching on here?????!!!!!

Edited by EffectiveAnger

The Thais that were originally in power sold off their power to Chinese immigrants and their descendants piece by piece until finally, somewhere along the line, they also sold the gateway (that is heft/clout at the amphur level), that deals out citizenship. Sorted.

One path to citizenship was this: in the old days, immigrants would often buy the records of dead pre-age 15 Thais (no photo record) before their death was reported and become said person. Then you'd just change your name to something you liked better somewhere down the line. True, adult immigrants couldn't do this, but children could instantly become Thais. Part of the whole planning for the next generation concept that is often lacking in many cultures that apparently has worked. Certainly beats visa runs, swimming across rivers and spending your entire life running from Thai la migra.

:)

I'm all in for it, its much more comfortable, no more immigration, much more easy to get a creditcard, can by real estate, no more jobs to be banned of, etc. etc. And my country allow to have dual citizenship. So why not?

Henry, I think exactly as you do. I know several guys that have done it. Mostly, they have their own business interests, but one that doesn't made a lot of money being a Thai representative on several foreign boards. My country allows dual citizenship and besides, both my wife and kid are dual citizens. My problem is that my Thai language simply is not good enough (and will never be).

Do you want to?

:D bit racist, isn't , '....from some ' none-place'....' :)

A couple of people have said their country allows dual nationality with Thailand, is this the case with The UK?

I'd definitely do it if so, for the reasons stated by others; freedom of movement and the ability to buy land and property in my own name.

I'm not sure of all the requirements as I haven't checked for a while, but sadly for me, my Thai is not fluent as is required. Separate topic I know, but for all those complaining about the 'Life in The UK test' requirements, how'd you feel if this was also necessary for British citizenship?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes - the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, NZ and Australia all allow dual- or multiple-citizenship, and not just with Thailand, but with any other country.

Most Western and Latin American countries allow dual/multiple-citizenship. The problem is that most Asian (and Middle Eastern) countries do not allow it. But even in these cases, there are often exceptions - every country is different. Thailand, as far as I know, does NOT allow dual citizenship, but maybe there are exceptions if you guys know of Westerners who have Thai and another citizenship.

Then there are people who maintain two or more citizenships even though one/some of the governments don't allow it. I think in these cases the worst that can happen is that if the government that doesn't allow it finds out, they will revoke that citizenship.

To my knowledge Thailand allows dual citizenship. So if you gained Thai citizenship, you would not be forced to relinquish the citizenship from your own country.

It's not just Thailand that has to allow it, it's your "own" country as well. Denmark where I come from does not allow dual citizenships for example. So if I were to get Thai citizenship I would loose my Danish one, so I don't think it will ever happen.

If I could keep my Danish passport I would go for Thai citizenship right away, everything would be easier with our businesses, buying property, work permits etc.

I guess it plays a part that I'm young and see myself living in Thailand for many many years to come, if I was retired and lived happily with a Thai wife, maybe I wouldn't really have any use of a citizenship.

Yes I would like one please.

I have two passports now, USA and another country. Soon I will get my Hong Kong passport, so that makes 3. And after maybe a Thai passport if the conditions are right.

HKSAR Passport or HK PermID card or HK ID or? You have to be Chinese to have the HKSAR Passport, and China doesn't allow dual-citizenship.

edit: spelling

Edited by jcon

Australia allows dual citizenship, as does the Uk and many other countries.

I know this for a fact as the Thai wife of a friend of mine told me she always uses her Australian passport wherever she travels to avoid 'the look' and ensuing hassle.

As to the original question. I would agree with the poster who said some time ago that he wouldn't want Thai citizenship as 'citizenship' implies you would be proud of where you came from. And who on earth would be proud to come from the corrupt demi-monde that is Thailand?

Remember – with Thai citizenship while in Thailand you are legally a Thai citizen.

Your 2nd citizenship offers you ZERO protection or fallback for consular/legal or otherwise assisitance and/or help …. and before someone asks, this is even if you break the rules and do enter Thailand using your 2nd nationality ID/passport (which in its self is an offense)

Personaly I do not believe there is any right/wrong about adopting Thai citizenship. It really is all down to the individual and their circumstances, hopes and desires.

Their are advantages, you get to be able to own property, set up a company, ownership of that company … and a whole bunch of other “advantages” – those are all what I term "individual values" and very much personal issues, but, whatever your values and perceived the advantages are in your case, one question you should ask yourself is: is any of this worth me having to give up the protection that my foreign citizenship offers me and my family?

Remember, if the day comes that you ever do have to pack those bags and run because of anti-farang sentiment in the Kingdom, I can assure you Thai’s in the street are not going to be stopping to ask you what citizen you are before expressing their sentiments - and I only raise that because I cannot see any other cicumstances in which one would have the need to, and be glad of a 2nd citizenship.

Could it ever happen - in reality the chances are small, but the one event that I am afraid such a scenario may arise from in years to come (i.e. the one event which could lead to a period of soicial/political instability) is a subject matter that is an absolute no go area on the forum.

Edited by Maizefarmer

To my knowledge Thailand allows dual citizenship. So if you gained Thai citizenship, you would not be forced to relinquish the citizenship from your own country.

It's not just Thailand that has to allow it, it's your "own" country as well. Denmark where I come from does not allow dual citizenships for example. So if I were to get Thai citizenship I would loose my Danish one, so I don't think it will ever happen.

same applies to my home country Germany. dual nationality only for children born to german/foreign parents. however, if the german authorities don't know... :)

When I need a new citizenship I'll buy one in Nicaragua. I'll never be a Thai so why would I want it? Permanent residency I can see the point of, but I don't think this giving of citizenships should be as easy as it's in the West. I would be happy if we revoked a lot of them.

I think you will find it's more like a 'mutual agreement' between countries, rather than a broad statement like 'Thailand allows dual citizenship'. For example Thailand and Australia have an specific agreement which allows dual citizenship.

To the OP, there are many details on this site about the requirements / process of getting Thai citizenship (and therefore passport).

It's far from easy, unless you have massive business interests which employs a lot of Thais, or you have some very exclusive expert status in a science or similar which Thailand really needs.

Without some very powerful 'assistance', there are large official fees and big 'hidden' costs. Without powerful assistance it's a long and slow process, others have quoted 2 to 3 years.

---------

AGain to the OP, there is another 'half way' option - gaining Permanent Resident (PR) status, which I have. There are long threads on this site about the requirement to qualify and the process.

Again it's far from easy, there are 'hidden' costs and quite substantial official costs, and it's a slow process.

Good luck.

same applies to my home country Germany. dual nationality only for children born to german/foreign parents. however, if the german authorities don't know... :)

Many western countries will close their eyes on "illegal" dual citizenship.

If Thailand requires you to forfeit your foreign citizenship, there is no way for them to know you instead kept it.

Best is to leave both countries in the dark about it.

The western passport will be handy for travel, but those who think their foreign passport provides protection in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, think twice.

These times are over.

Today, only a handful of countries do provide assistance to their citizens in distress.

France is such a country. Germany is not.

I don't know for the US or UK...