Thai Citizenship / Passport

dumbnewbie

To my knowledge Thailand allows dual citizenship. So if you gained Thai citizenship, you would not be forced to relinquish the citizenship from your own country.

It's not just Thailand that has to allow it, it's your "own" country as well. Denmark where I come from does not allow dual citizenships for example. So if I were to get Thai citizenship I would loose my Danish one, so I don't think it will ever happen.

same applies to my home country Germany. dual nationality only for children born to german/foreign parents. however, if the german authorities don't know... :)

Many western countries will close their eyes on "illegal" dual citizenship.

If Thailand requires you to forfeit your foreign citizenship, there is no way for them to know you instead kept it.

Best is to leave both countries in the dark about it.

The western passport will be handy for travel, but those who think their foreign passport provides protection in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, think twice.

These times are over.

Today, only a handful of countries do provide assistance to their citizens in distress.

France is such a country. Germany is not.

I don't know for the US or UK...

The UK will send someone from the embassy/consulate to smirk at you in jail, point out that the FCO website told you not to come here in the first place, ask you if you want a cup of tea, and say something like 'is there anyone we can contact for you?' or 'we'll see what we can do' I think some people have the idea that they can go anywhere in the world and do what they like because they have a certain passport. Maybe in the 1920's this was the case but the world is a very different place now (thankfully). I can understand why someone who permanently lives in a country would want to become one of it's citizens, seems like the logical next step.

However, I've read the thread about how it's done and it does seem very daunting indeed!

Have any of you become citizens of Thailand?

Do you want to?

Do you know of any foreigner who has?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

What are the requirements?

Can one become a Thai citizen w/out giving up their former citizenship?

:)

If you intended on living in Thailand for the rest of your life...and intended to start/run a business in thailand...Thai citizenship would be a great advantage.

Very few foriegners actually get citizenship...it requires a period of living in Thailand before you can even apply. The number of foriegners becoming citizens each year is limited.....I'm guessing less than 100 a year....but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe that those approved are announced only once a year. Also I understand that none have been announced for at least two years now.

You must demonstrate a knowledge of spoken and writen Thai. You make a video and answer questions asked of you in Tha. You may be asked to read

something in Thai and explain it.

The ultimate decision is based on wheher or not you becoming a Thai citizen is deemed as being of benefit to Thailand...in other words you have to demonstrate your benefit to Thailand as a Thai citizen.

It's difficult....and it takes tine.

The advantages are being able to start/run a business that a foriegner is not allowed to. I believe land ownership also, but I may be wrong about that.

Depending on your nationlity, it is possible to have dual citizenship.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Agree with above in terms of equity

However in he real world of local security paranoia and economic migrants

Prhaps half of 76 million thais might like the better welfare work and educational ops of developed counries while few wealthy would wish all the obligations inc miltary service of the locals

In the meantime people will do wht they can get away with

I hear that while Europeans are invading Afghan vilages in armoured vehicle

Afghan kids are invading Europe under vehicles

There will be a price to pay for species racism and division and I hope Ireturn as a Gekko with abig library near C mai maot to watch the strange inte cultural matings and goings on and leave my messages upon the deserving

Have a nice day off for an Italian lunch Bulgarian wine with Chinese friends and Lanna wife

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Without some very powerful 'assistance', there are large official fees and big 'hidden' costs. Without powerful assistance it's a long and slow process, others have quoted 2 to 3 years.

2 to 3 years? That's not bad - that's less time than any Western citizenship process takes...

What sort of "very powerful assistance"? Could you list a few examples?

Roughly what are the official fees?

What are the big hidden costs? Could you give a general idea?

Again it's far from easy...

What are some of the other difficulties?

(Thanks)

The western passport will be handy for travel, but those who think their foreign passport provides protection in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, think twice.

These times are over.

True, a Western passport hardly puts you above the law in another country. If you smuggle drugs, etc., you will be thrown in jail.

BUT, don't you think a foreign passport still offers a foreigner more protection than the local citizenship would? I mean, I think governments treat their own citizens worse than foreign citizens... or at least we can say that third world governments treat citizens of rich countries (not just Western, but also Japan, etc.) better than their own citizens. For instance, I hear that in many third world countries police will tend not to extort foreigners the way they do their own citizens. Probably less likely to arrest them on bogus charges too, as the government knows they'll have to deal with that foreigner's government, whereas they can do whatever they like with their own citizens. I just think it's an extra level of protection against capricious police and government officials. (But if you commit a serious crime then you're still gonna be in big trouble).

Today, only a handful of countries do provide assistance to their citizens in distress.

France is such a country. Germany is not.

I don't know for the US or UK...

This is very interesting. My impression is that the UK and especially the US won't do much for their overseas citizens... am I wrong? Anyone?

What about other countries? Switzerland? Canada? Australia? Can you give any examples? What would the French gov't do for it's overseas citizens that the German gov't will not?

(Thanks)

You have to be Chinese to have the HKSAR Passport

edit: spelling

You do not have to be Chinese to have the HKSAR passport. I have Pakistani/Indian/US friends that have it.

That is interesting - I was also under the impression that you had to be ethnic Chinese to get a HK SAR passport.

How might a non-Chinese US citizen, for example, obtain one?

Is it true that with a HK SAR passport you can travel, live and work anywhere in China w/out a visa?

(Thanks)

[/quote

I believe

you are talking about permanant residency not Thaii citizenship. I also believe you must be Thai to get citezenship. The only westerners that I know of that have gained thai citizenship a those with a Thai mother, even though they were born in a western country, and the one I am familiar with took some time , and had to submit a blood test.

Barry

[/quote

I believe

you are talking about permanant residency not Thaii citizenship. I also believe you must be Thai to get citezenship. The only westerners that I know of that have gained thai citizenship a those with a Thai mother, even though they were born in a western country, and the one I am familiar with took some time , and had to submit a blood test.

Barry

Correction if I may: citizenship is not restricted to "Thai's" (yes - I do know what you are trying to say when you use that term) - if I applied for Thai citizenship tomorrow it would be no more a process than running through the formalities (i.e. its an almost dead cert I'd get it, even if I say so myself), but I have zero heritage in me that could be implied as "Thai" in any way at all - I do though satisfy the residency, work and other requirements i.e. been here long enough, worked here long enough, pay my taxes, married here, have kids here, run my own business ect ect ect .......... all the things that tick the boxes for a successfull Thai citizenship application - it just doesn't appeal to me.

Westerners can be Thai citizens (all Western nationalities), Africans can, Arabs can, other Asians can .......... just satisfy the requirements of which current or previous nationality is not one.

I really think it should be just as easy for Thais to become citizens of my country as it is for me to become a Thai citizen.

I agree with that statement i.e. "it should be nigh on impossible"

I know a Thai couple in the US, got their green cards and are awaiting their US citizenship due next year and then their plan is to return to Thailand and live off their US pension.