Report:99% Of “american Breakfast” Served In Phuket

churchill

An American biscuit is a bit like a plain British scone, but, not sweet.

Grits is dried maize soaked in water until soft, then boiled.

Thanks. I think i'd like to dry both although the grit doesn't sound especially appealing. I can't wait until I go to the States next year. I've been once (back in '97) and found that the food is infinitely better than here in the UK!

Not sure where you are going in the States, but if available try the "Cracker Barrel" a big chain restaurant serving old fashioned southern style food. I am sure you can check out their website for locations.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!

"...aints got grits"! Hahaa, you obviously don't go too far from Florida do you...within the rest of the States that is? Biscuits and gravy too! Nice! Two of my favorite down south meals but not necessarily the standard breakfast of "America".

Forgive my ignorance (I'm British), but could you explain to me what biscuits are. The word biscuits in the UK refers to what Americans would call Cookies. Also, what are grits?

Thanks

Southern Biscuits are much like scones, not sweet, buttery, melt in you mouth excellence. Grits are the consistency of "cream of wheat" (do you have that?) but are nothing like it. You just eat them with a spoon like porridge but with only salt and a little butter on top. They seem a little weird at first but they are quite good too

Presumably i can try these in Vegas? I'll put it on my list of things to do. Thanks.

Had "a la carte" this (late) morning:

Eggs Benedict + Bloody Mary

Should it be considered American?

You bethca!

But we don't call them English muffins, we call them Ironic muffins. Also the hollandaise sauce is actually New Jersey sauce (what exit?). We also use tomato juice and tabasco instead of actual raw angry blood in the Marys.

Edited by Jingthing

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!

Beg to differ my friend, but no way is that an "American breakfast." You described a downright delicious "Southern breakfast," which if they had their druthers would have seceded from the Union to keep all the grits to themselves.

Now a real American breakfast is: eggs (sunny side up or over easy), bacon (crisp, not greasy, and not to be confused with slimy English rashers), pork sausage, hash brown potatoes (not greasy and a little crispy on top with plenty of ketchup), and in the west will include buttered toast (white or rye east of California and wheat in California) and jam. Oh, and a jiucy orange slice on the plate if it's not some chump place like Denny's or Norm's.

What is an American Breakfast ? I think most know what an English Breakfast is -

• American Breakfast is a backronym for ABF.(nobody knows for what ABF originally stands for) it's used to describe cheap crappy food served in the morning at hotels or in restaurants that cater to tourists. but has actually nothing much to do with America or breakfast.
  • English Breakfast describes the fact that the heating elements in one side of your toaster are broken and out of order, resulting in slices of bread that got only toasted at one side and the other side remains in the same state like before you put the sliced bread into the toaster.
  • Breakfast is a ritualised consumption of edible liquids that contain alcohol.  e.g. Breakfast of Champions = Martini Cocktail  or quality breakfast = combine beer and corn flakes, see video here

Only four restaurants serving sausage that isn't a short CP hot dog with one end cut to resemble a meaty flower

Hmmmm ... I would seriously dispute that. I know plenty of places that serve proper sausages for breakfast.

We have yet to find a "proper" pork sausage as we used to kno them, made by Walls. Nothing here remotely resembles.

The other problem with hotel breakfasts is the awful bread,soft enogh to squeeze between your fingers and disgusting .And croissants; why oh why can no-one make a proper butter croissant,...with very few exceptions(Generally American chains with Farang Managers)

Apparently more people choke on croissant than any other type of bread.

Apparently.

"English muffins" are unknown in England.

Not even just muffins? Don't you have eggs Benedict there, if so what do you serve it on, chips, or perhaps bloody bricks?

BTW, do you have American muffins for those American monstrosities that have 2000 calories in each one?

Edited by Jingthing

Bottom line, American breakfast is a commercial term that has little to do with American breakfast.

I don't know of many Englishmen with time for a full English each morning either, although those with more physical jobs might need a heartier meal.

Usually it's just cereal and/or toast.

Forget this nandy pandy American breakfast for softies....go for the real man brekkie....the killer!! The Ulster fry up!

Tons of artery choking, gut fattening saturated fat!! Bacon, sausages, eggs, kidneys,liver, soda bread and potatoe farls fried in the fat off the bacon and sausages. Now that's a real brekkie!! Not a gram of colesterol wasted.

ps...gave them up years ago when going North.......wanted a free flow type of blood stream and engine room/heart.

Fred2007. Where are you from?? Take the cheese away and you have an English breakfast. Continental??? Apart from, maybe a boiled egg, there is no cooked food on the plate. Breakfast is a very serious issue for me. The best meal of the day. The fuller the plate [fried everything] the better, but please no 'hotel' eggs. Don`t eat a thing again untill at least 19.30hrs :) . Oh! and yes, no spam, the Brits will know what I mean; bacon or ham please.

To real chefs breakfast and brunch is a joke. Really, most anyone can cook all of that crapola themselves. Excepting hash browns, that's an art.

Mmmm JT. Can't agree. Perfect soft free range eggs....crispy hot fat low salt bacon....juicy browned home made sausages....well done tomatoes.....dry crisp home fries....buttered mushrooms???? Not easy to get right.

Geez JT... where's my frying pan??? Got me going now!!

I've had breakfasts in dozens of countries over the past several decades, and one of the most memorable is a Mexican breakfast (Mexico is part of the Americas, isn't it?). Puerto Escondido to be precise.

Two fried eggs, home made soft tortillas, a few other delicious items, but the coup de grace was the beans.

It was a relatively small portion of black beans, mushed up, and it may have had a smidgen of other things added (hot pepper, garlic, butter, tomato and such) but still 98% black bean. mmmmm, yum, da best. How come Thais can't make anything edible with pinto or black beans?

Oh, and it also had a cooked tomato cut in half. Yet the tomatoes in the Americas have little in common with tomatoes grown in Thailand. Cherry tomatoes here are good, but any Thai tomatoes larger than cherries have about as much taste as a candle, and about the same texture.

Only four restaurants serving sausage that isn't a short CP hot dog with one end cut to resemble a meaty flower

Hmmmm ... I would seriously dispute that. I know plenty of places that serve proper sausages for breakfast.

We have yet to find a "proper" pork sausage as we used to kno them, made by Walls. Nothing here remotely resembles.

The other problem with hotel breakfasts is the awful bread,soft enogh to squeeze between your fingers and disgusting .And croissants; why oh why can no-one make a proper butter croissant,...with very few exceptions(Generally American chains with Farang Managers)

Apparently more people choke on croissant than any other type of bread.

Apparently.

Many locals choke a lot on English words. :)

So and what is a real American Breakfast then? What does it contains ? In my place I serve what I call an continental breakfast containing fried or scrambled eggs,real bacon,sausages,toast

butter,marmalade,and fresh coffee some cheese if available and orange juice.

Would that satisfy you ?

I'm an American, sounds right to me. Of course there are many variations, pancakes, waffles, omelets, toast etc. Yours is close enough.

Following earlier reports that up to 90% of the cosatline property in the island of Phuket was actually controlled by foreigners through Thai nominees, another shocking report has surfaced claiming that up to 99% of American Breakfasts served in Phuket are, in fact, fraudulent.

According to the details of the report released today by the TAT, out of 1,073 restaurants in Phuket province which include American Breakfast on their menus, only 12 actually serve anything vaguely resembling the morning meals typically consumed by Americans in the United States .

Using the standardized template of items including eggs that don't taste like fish sauce, ham that's more than 1mm thick, potatoes of some kind, sausage that's composed of loosely ground pork in a skin casing or patty, and coffee that's made from actual coffee beans, the survey found that less than 1% of the restaurants were able to deliver on even one out of the five marks.

In fact, only four restaurants in Phuket, all of which were international hotels, served a sausage that wasn't actually a short CP hot dog with one end cut to resemble a meaty flower. Additionally, the closest thing to an American Breakfast found in Phuket was actually a British breakfast served at a pub.

The report went on to acknowledge the source of the problem as the widespread practice of using Thai "nominee" cooks and managers to operate restaurants that are legally registered as "Western." Though strictly a legal practice, many in the expatriate dining community have called on the government to close loopholes in the system, including tightening regulations and enforcement on the use of the terms "American," "breakfast," and "coffee."

However, spokespersons for the Thai restaurant industry insisted that such over-regulation would harm business and cause the loss of jobs, and that such breakfast-protectionism was an obstacle to global competitiveness.

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=815

I eat lots of American breakfasts and I have noticed allot just use a hotdog wiener. I don't care :)

Enjoyed a good American Breakfast a few hours ago. One big breakfast burrito a side of bacon and a large ice tea.

For those who donot know a burrito is anything you can get wrapped up in a flour tortilla. The breakfast version is scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, cheese, and green chlie wrapped in a flour tortilla then covered in a green chile sauce with onion, tomatoe, and garlic with 3 slices of bacon on the side sliced up and mixed into the lot. Take a big wiff of this then dig in.

Now we need a discussion about cornbeef hash. The best I have ate is at the Eagle Cafe on Pier 39 in San Francisco if you are there give it a try. They also serve a great bloody mary.

Even Yankees dont eat wienies for breakfast.

Most of us - on the West Coast - eat low fat yogurt or muesli und yogurt, or if its a decent coffee shoppe, early in the morning - NO - not Starbucks pulleeez -

ya might get an all bran muffin + double non fat latte to go .... but nobody eats wieners for breakfast - maybe San Fran

That is possibly the scariest awful offal one could ever think of eating. It is loaded with animal brain & nerve tissue - the one known source for MC disease.

I am sure there are other bush meat sources.

For a good trucker breakfast - try a Flying J Truck stop in the US - off the 10 freeway - their breakfast will make Denny's look like a mild palpitation compared to the Full 10,000 calories Monty, Big HA, plus enough cholesterol to flatten two good horses. Dont leave for a while - ya will regret it and turn back.

On Emirates, in BC, they served me an omelet, with steak und green peas, for breakfast, once. Apparently, they had run out of food.

Ate the steak - not as tough as the omelet. Unusual for them - their sashimi is normally excellent.

I am jonesing for those darned fresh biscuits and real gravy - Big Bear anyone?

Using the standardized template of items including eggs that don't taste like fish sauce, ham that's more than 1mm thick, potatoes of some kind

In the course of the years I probably consumed a few times my own weight of American breakfasts, but was never served one that contained something made of potatoes.

Main things are that the coffee comes quickly, and that the white part of the fried eggs is indeed white, and not transparant.

And the yellow part is still runny. Had breakfast in England and ALWAYS had to ask them to please not cook the egg hard cooked, or put it inside toast. :) Crispy bacon as opposed to a consistency almost like boiled bacon. Decent pork sausage, country fried or hash browned potatoes, or, if no potatoes, grits or pancakes. Oh yes, the coffee MUST be real coffee. :D

"...aints got grits"! Hahaa, you obviously don't go too far from Florida do you...within the rest of the States that is? Biscuits and gravy too! Nice! Two of my favorite down south meals but not necessarily the standard breakfast of "America".

Forgive my ignorance (I'm British), but could you explain to me what biscuits are. The word biscuits in the UK refers to what Americans would call Cookies. Also, what are grits?

Thanks

Biscuits are probably closest to a scone, though a scone is sweeter and less dense than an American biscuit. White sausage gravy (also called Sawmill gravy), or country ham and red-eye gravy, is usually served with the biscuits.

Grits are course ground corn. Polenta would be a close equivalent, or a corn gruel (I think that is what it is called in England), but drier. Usually they are served with butter, salt and fresh ground black pepper and are wonderful with eggs and bacon or sausage.

Hope it helps clear it up. :)