Beggars Banquet

sunholidaysun1

My local Thai Bar gets many beggars . First there are the children selling naff unscented wilting roses , not only one time in the evening but a steady stream of them from 8pm until about 1 am . They are all ages from about 5 - 12 years old. They can see flowers already on the bar or being held by a bar girl , so in love with the man who bought one for her from the previous child who was in , so why do they keep on asking ?

Then later , in comes the man on crutches with a leg missing , holding a cup out and saying nothing. I have been tempted to pour a bit of my Leo in there , but had 2nd thoughts, just as well with the price of Leo these days.

Then we have the 2 peice Orchestra , the blind man with his trusted guide leading him to every bar in town. He has an Amplifier strapped to his chest , a Mic attached also , and stands in the bar regardless of what music is being played in the bar , and sings along to the music bellowing out of his Amp. The old dear propping him up also has a cup in hand and slowly taking him with her , stops at every farang in the bar. However, hes the only one I see farangs dipping into their 5 bht of change just to get them out the way .

Then theres the aging twins, these two are mountain people , Acka I think. They must be in their 70's either that or they have had a hard life .

With Beetle nut stained lips and teeth , they look like they have just devoured a sick buffalo and look a bit scary .

When this is happening every night and contstantly being badgered for dosh it gets really annoying . I am sure we have all dipped into our pockets and given , knowing their plight . Now I turn away from them and ignore but at the same time feel a little bit guilty . What are your thoughts on this ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change bars where their are less of them or 'mia ao khap' them.

Its finding the space where you can blow them off without guilt :) . Find a couple of possibly genuine 'needers' and give them what you think they need for a good feed whenever you pass them, that may be only a few times a week or more if you have many sins. It may not matter that they may blow it on booze the point is it is your well being that is being blessed and lived to a higher plane. That then gives you the redemption to blow off the swarms of them at will when you are relaxing over a beer.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I find them all very annoying and give them nothing these days. The blind singers are the worst of them all,it wouldn't surprise me if they end up deaf as well with the volume of those machines they carry around with them.

My local Thai Bar gets many beggars . First there are the children selling naff unscented wilting roses , not only one time in the evening but a steady stream of them from 8pm until about 1 am . They are all ages from about 5 - 12 years old. They can see flowers already on the bar or being held by a bar girl , so in love with the man who bought one for her from the previous child who was in , so why do they keep on asking ?

Then later , in comes the man on crutches with a leg missing , holding a cup out and saying nothing. I have been tempted to pour a bit of my Leo in there , but had 2nd thoughts, just as well with the price of Leo these days.

Then we have the 2 peice Orchestra , the blind man with his trusted guide leading him to every bar in town. He has an Amplifier strapped to his chest , a Mic attached also , and stands in the bar regardless of what music is being played in the bar , and sings along to the music bellowing out of his Amp. The old dear propping him up also has a cup in hand and slowly taking him with her , stops at every farang in the bar. However, hes the only one I see farangs dipping into their 5 bht of change just to get them out the way .

Then theres the aging twins, these two are mountain people , Acka I think. They must be in their 70's either that or they have had a hard life .

With Beetle nut stained lips and teeth , they look like they have just devoured a sick buffalo and look a bit scary .

When this is happening every night and contstantly being badgered for dosh it gets really annoying . I am sure we have all dipped into our pockets and given , knowing their plight . Now I turn away from them and ignore but at the same time feel a little bit guilty . What are your thoughts on this ?

This is Thailand. Drink at home, or in your own country, and spare a thought for those less well off than you are.

This is Thailand. Drink at home, or in your own country, and spare a thought for those less well off than you are.

What a original response.

What a original response.

He must have put a lot of thought into that, to come up with a variation of if you don't like it go home. :)

Must be a newbie still in the honeymoon period of Thailand. That's their usual response.

Don't give to beggars. It doesn't help and it perpetuates the practice.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie..BTW i think he/she's a Thai(or not?)While often i disagree with his/her opinions,i fully agree on this one.I admit that when i was sitting in bars i was slightly bored with beggars,actually i was feeling guilty paying 100 for a drink,which is 3 or 4 meals for the average poor guy.Yes,i know about the beggars mafia,but everybody have to eat..If you don't like to give,don't give,live and let live

Edited by mauGR1

"Then later , in comes the man on crutches with a leg missing , holding a cup out and saying nothing. I have been tempted to pour a bit of my Leo in there"

Maybe you should try hopping around for a bit.

philw

Must be a newbie still in the honeymoon period of Thailand. That's their usual response.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie..BTW i think he/she's a Thai(or not?)While often i disagree with his/her opinions,i fully agree on this one.I admit that when i was sitting in bars i was slightly bored with beggars,actually i was feeling guilty paying 100 for a drink,which is 3 or 4 meals for the average poor guy.Yes,i know about the beggars mafia,but everybody have to eat..If you don't like to give,don't give,live and let live

Don't let the Thai flag fool you, I would be very surprised if the poster is a Thai. The writing is too fluent. And if he were then the 'if you don't like it go home' could be seens xenaphobic...wait a minute? -

Anyways its beside the point..

If you don't want to give money to a beggar then don't give money to a beggar - no need to go home.

Some people really need to get off of their high horse once in a while.

Whilst in Cambodia, I noticed a lot of the beggar kids there were selling books for a quater of the price they were in the shops. I'm not sure if they are ilegally printed or if there is some deal with the publishing houses, but I thought it was a really good idea. They are making money. A lot like the big issue magazine in the UK. They are doing a real job.

Teach a man to fish etc...

This is Thailand. Drink at home, or in your own country, and spare a thought for

Is it Ok to ask what you do for "those less well off than you are"???

The rule a all over the world is never ever give to a beggar....you actually are not helping them..

They do bug me when I'm in the bar having a pint or two. This is the norm in Karon and it gets worse as the evening goes on.

If your conscience is niggling you then the best support you can give is through a NGO charity. The ones with the least admin expenses.....ALWAYS ask.

IF I do give on the street it will be to a woman with a kid.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie

Join date and post number doesnt mean a thing.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie

Join date and post number doesnt mean a thing.

He's a farang who's lived in Thailand long enough and put in sufficient effort to become a Thai citizen. You?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-C...io-t121353.html

Edited by endure

Some restaurants and bars do seem to have a lot of beggars flowing through them. I am usually in the places that do not seem to allow the beggars in but I will purchase a rose occasionally.

When there are droves of beggars about it does tend to devalue the evening a bit. Pity some other places do not regulate how many come in.

He's a farang who's lived in Thailand long enough and put in sufficient effort to become a Thai citizen. You?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-C...io-t121353.html

This girl doesn't want Thai citizenship, though, I acknowledge that they aren't a newbie.

Maybe it's a very, very long honeymoon period?

Or maybe he's been in Thailand long enough to know what he's talking about.

I am sure we have all dipped into our pockets and given , knowing their plight . Now I turn away from them and ignore but at the same time feel a little bit guilty . What are your thoughts on this ?

I normally put a few coins in my pocket to spread around...i usually give to 1 or 2 beggars per night.

You can't give to everyone otherwise how could you afford another beer, bar fine,hotel and taxi home!

absolutely ridiculous giving up 10 - 100 baht for a beggar :)