Beggars Banquet

sunholidaysun1

I see big similarities between ex-farang and ex-smokers.............

I gave up smoking, but I have no objection to smokers so long as they don't blow smoke in my direction :) .

To extrapolate your smoking analogy, Thailand welcomes foreigners so long as they fit in, understand that Thailand doesn't have to change for their benefit, and treat the locals with the respect that they deserve.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up smoking, but I have no objection to smokers so long as they don't blow smoke in my direction :) .

To extrapolate your smoking analogy, Thailand welcomes foreigners so long as they fit in, understand that Thailand doesn't have to change for their benefit, and treat the locals with the respect that they deserve.

The farang posse are giving you a hard time on this thread which is amazing as they are trying to defend their stinking attitudes towards people who have no way out of their predicament.

What does 10 or 20 baht matter in the long run to someone who has just ordered a 100 baht beer for the 5th time and eyeing up a 500 baht bar fine and a 2k girl!

Dbrenn good luck to you keep defending the realm from this shower...

alright

I read the OP

its asking about how to deal with beggars that come in to bars, give, not give, other creative suggestions perhaps.

no where is it asking whether its about foreigners, or thais, who should give more, who shouldnt give.

so if the discussion along that line doesnt stop, Im going to close this thread. why must every thread turn into a verbal war about how thais do or do not hate foreigners?

The farang posse are giving you a hard time on this thread which is amazing as they are trying to defend their stinking attitudes towards people who have no way out of their predicament.

What does 10 or 20 baht matter in the long run to someone who has just ordered a 100 baht beer for the 5th time and eyeing up a 500 baht bar fine and a 2k girl!

Dbrenn good luck to you keep defending the realm from this shower...

Sanok2me,

For me, the issue is perpetuating a vicious cycle. Some of these beggars were intentionally maimed at birth, many of the children have been removed from their family (kidnapped), babies are drugged to remain quite, and all of this continues because it plays on peoples sympathies and they give money.

I reiterate, if you wish to be charitable, give to a reputable, charitable organization. Do not continue a vicious cycle where generation after generation is forced into begging.

I’m sorry, but people who give money to them are a part of the problem. The same with buying flowers from street kids and allowing them to shine your shoes, these kids do not get to keep the money in many instances and you contribute to their exploitation.

alright

I read the OP

its asking about how to deal with beggars that come in to bars, give, not give, other creative suggestions perhaps.

no where is it asking whether its about foreigners, or thais, who should give more, who shouldnt give.

so if the discussion along that line doesnt stop, Im going to close this thread. why must every thread turn into a verbal war about how thais do or do not hate foreigners?

Certain posters have just turned it into a pissing contest to see who knows most about Thailand, or who is more "Thai". Pathetic really. :)

Giving to beggars is someones own personal choice, and if they choose not to, it doesn't mean they haven't integrated into Thailand, or they "will be going home soon". as has been insinuated by one poster.

alright

I read the OP

Certain posters have just turned it into a pissing contest to see who knows most about Thailand, or who is more "Thai". Pathetic really. :)

Giving to beggars is someones own personal choice, and if they choose not to, it doesn't mean they haven't integrated into Thailand, or they "will be going home soon". as has been insinuated by one poster.

Agreed. Some people always have to have the last word (ah it's me).

If you want to give, then give, if not don't give. Simple.

alright

I read the OP

Certain posters have just turned it into a pissing contest to see who knows most about Thailand, or who is more "Thai". Pathetic really. :D

Agreed. Some people always have to have the last word (ah it's me).

If you want to give, then give, if not don't give. Simple.

Yep, and my post wasn't directed at you GFL.

I'm sure i had another post on this thread in response to a certain poster, but it seems it has disappeared. :)

Well I can say in all honesty, I have been stopped from giving to beggars more times by Thai friends - in my early days by the friendly ladies who sought my company, I would be allowed to give only once to flower sellers in one evening - then they would be chased away for the rest of the evening, which I think is a little bit of where the OP is coming from regarding the repetative requests in one evening. I am stopped in my latter years by my wife...who utters a simple 'not give' if I look like I am about to shell out.....so I simply drop a few baht into the occasional cup this is 'allowed' But as my wife controls the money I often have very little left for myself..... :)

As far as tipping in restaurants which is another topic along the same lines which surfaces regularly - my wife has the money to pay the bill so tips as she sees fit...

If I do not choose to give I am respectful but firm as you have to be.

So I don't understand why Thailand would be so upset by my conduct and wish people like me to go home??

alright

I read the OP

I think this thread was more about inexperienced people positioning hearsay and personal opinion as fact, while presenting mere guesswork as evidence to label all beggars as social detritis on a mafia payroll, while declaring that all bargirls as happily voluntering themselves to drunk and repulsive tourists as a career choice. That's simply not true.

Giving to beggars certainly is a peronal choice, but whining about their presence while sitting is a bar is just plain silly.