Beggars Banquet

sunholidaysun1

Must be a newbie still in the honeymoon period of Thailand. That's their usual response.

Don't give to beggars. It doesn't help and it perpetuates the practice.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie..BTW i think he/she's a Thai(or not?)While often i disagree with his/her opinions,i fully agree on this one.I admit that when i was sitting in bars i was slightly bored with beggars,actually i was feeling guilty paying 100 for a drink,which is 3 or 4 meals for the average poor guy.Yes,i know about the beggars mafia,but everybody have to eat..If you don't like to give,don't give,live and let live

Don't let the Thai flag fool you, I would be very surprised if the poster is a Thai. The writing is too fluent. And if he were then the 'if you don't like it go home' could be seens xenaphobic...wait a minute? -

Anyways its beside the point..

If you don't want to give money to a beggar then don't give money to a beggar - no need to go home.

Some people really need to get off of their high horse once in a while.

I find it rather comical that you assume that Thais can't write English fluently. Some are very well educated.

Well I am Thai, and all I was saying was:

1) There is absolutely nothing that the OP can do about beggars. They congregate wherever tourists do. If the OP finds them so intolerable, then he is perhaps better off in a place where they are controlled, i.e. a private place like his home, or in his home country

2) This indeed is Thailand, and there is nothing whatsoever that you, the OP or I can do to change it. Beggars, being part of Thailand, must therefore be tolerated. Resenting their presence is an exercise in utter futility

3) Sitting in a girlie bar while showing contempt for those less well off is rather an unpleasant way to behave, and shows a lack of compassion for one's fellow men and women. The girls in the bar are also less well off than the OP, on a par with the beggar were it not for their physical attractiveness, but the OP tolerates their presence. The beggars, human beings none the less, are the object of the OP's contempt simply because he can't take advantage of them and they are asking his charity for no return of sexual favour. What does this say about the nature of the OP's character, and what does this say about the value of his contribution to the good of society?

Thailand is better off if people like this do go home

Edited by dbrenn

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a newbie still in the honeymoon period of Thailand. That's their usual response.

If you check the number of posts and the date below the username you can see Dbrenn is not a newbie..BTW i think he/she's a Thai(or not?)While often i disagree with his/her opinions,i fully agree on this one.I admit that when i was sitting in bars i was slightly bored with beggars,actually i was feeling guilty paying 100 for a drink,which is 3 or 4 meals for the average poor guy.Yes,i know about the beggars mafia,but everybody have to eat..If you don't like to give,don't give,live and let live

Don't let the Thai flag fool you, I would be very surprised if the poster is a Thai. The writing is too fluent. And if he were then the 'if you don't like it go home' could be seens xenaphobic...wait a minute? -

If you don't want to give money to a beggar then don't give money to a beggar - no need to go home.

I find it rather comical that you assume that Thais can't write English fluently. Some are very well educated.

1) There is absolutely nothing that the OP can do about beggars. They congregate wherever tourists do. If the OP finds them so intolerable, then he is perhaps better off in a place where they are controlled, i.e. a private place like his home, or in his home country

2) This indeed is Thailand, and there is nothing whatsoever that you, the OP or I can do to change it. Beggars, being part of Thailand, must therefore be tolerated. resenting their presence is an exercise in utter futility

3) Sitting in a girlie bar while showing contempt for those less well off is rather an unpleasant way to behave, and shows a lack of compassion for ones fellow men and women. The girls in the bar are also less well off than the OP, on a par with the beggar were it not for their physical attractiveness, but the OP tolerates their presence. The beggars, human beings none the less, are the object of the OP's contempt simply because he can't take advantage of them and they are asking his charity for no return of sexual favour. What does the OP really add to the good of society?

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is the beggars do not even get to keep the money. Rather, it goes to the organized gangs who kidnap these children, maim and/or drug them and force them into a life of begging or selling items on the street.

If you feel the need to truly help the poor, give to the local Wat or an established, respected charity (such as the Duang Pretheep Foundation) which actually do something to help the poor aside from force them to beg.

dbrenn,

Yes, it is highly unfortunate the Thai authorities won't do anything to stop this reprehensible practice. If only foolish people would stop giving them money, then maybe it would not occur. Thailand, however, would be MUCH better off if the Thais actually did something about the less fortunate and other bad situations, instead of saying it will never be fixed and keeping their head in the sand.

The girls in the bar are also less well off than the OP, on a par with the beggar were it not for their physical attractiveness, but the OP tolerates their presence. Thailand is better off if people like this do go home

And unfortunatly the girls have to tolerate the presence of the OP.

I travelled in Asia since 40 years now,i've seen beggars everywhere,in fact there is not welfare here,at least not like in the West.

Anyway,beggars were here before Farangs came,and it's a local habit for the well-off people to give something to the less fortunate.

While i can agree that "teach them fishing..etc.",sorry i have no time to do that.

Like dbrenn said,it's highly hypocritical to sit in a girlie bar,spend 1 or 2 thousand for a happy night,and not to give a few coins to the beggars.

I've seen Farangs spending loads of money for girls and drinks,and get into a fight with a Taxi-driver for 10 Baht :) appalling..

I suspect the OP is refereeing to bar with an outside seating are on the street. Suspect he is talking about Big Dogs or Golden Bar. No bar I know of allows these people into the bar (except maybe the kids selling roses sneak into some).

Would like to make the point that this is not confined to farang areas. If you go to an outdoor Thai place, there are just as many such people trying to get money. Have noticed the most successful are the blind singers, almost everyone tends to drop at least a coin or two into the cup. Helps if they can actually sing.

TH

A simple "My ow kup" serves the purpose in getting rid of them. I recognize the same group of women and flower kids each night. That said however, I did sponsor a couple of teenage flower girls with schooling, and later a hair dressing course. I figured that would be better for them than working as a bar girl where it seemed like they were heading.

A simple "My ow kup" serves the purpose in getting rid of them. I recognize the same group of women and flower kids each night. That said however, I did sponsor a couple of teenage flower girls with schooling, and later a hair dressing course. I figured that would be better for them than working as a bar girl where it seemed like they were heading.

Sponsoring the schooling was a very noble and commendable thing to do. People with your sense of social justice lead successful and happy lives, and are made very welcome in Thailand.

Other posters here make the observation that beggars are not confined to tourist areas which is certainly true. Beggars aren't only Thais either. I have seen foreigners begging in Bangkok too.

Nobody is forcing anyone to give money to beggars, although to do so shows a charitable personality. What disgusts me is when a minority of foreign tourists treat beggars like dirt and ridicule them. Beggars are people who lead very difficult lives and deserve kindness, just like any other human being. Foreigners who travel to Thailand to treat any of the locals with disdain really should go home, because their rude and ignorant behaviour gives the majority of nice foreign visitors a bad name.

Sponsoring the schooling was a very noble and commendable thing to do. People with your sense of social justice lead successful and happy lives, and are made very welcome in Thailand.

Other posters here make the observation that beggars are not confined to tourist areas which is certainly true. Beggars aren't only Thais either. I have seen foreigners begging in Bangkok too.

Nobody is forcing anyone to give money to beggars, although to do so shows a charitable personality. What disgusts me is when a minority of foreign tourists treat beggars like dirt and ridicule them. Beggars are people who lead very difficult lives and deserve kindness, just like any other human being. Foreigners who travel to Thailand to treat any of the locals with disdain really should go home, because their rude and ignorant behaviour gives the majority of nice foreign visitors a bad name.

Whilst in my home city of London I don't give money to beggars, when in India I don't give to beggars. Whilst in Thailand I do not give to beggars. Whilst in Africa...etc.. I will however give some money to one of a beggarly proffesion if they provide a service of some sort. Shoe shinning or busking for example. Or as I mentioned before the book sellers in Cambodia. Big Issue sellers in London.

I think it is appalling how Thai/cambodian/vietnamese people are crippled by gangs and then put on the streets to work begging. If you as a tourist give to beggers in this situation then you are supporting this brutal behaviour, so it follows that the tourists that give money to beggars are better off going home so this terrible practice is not encouraged any more than it is already. The only ignorant behaviour is by the folks that give money to these people. Money which is taken by the gangs. The average beggar is on a wage of 200 bt a day. The rest goes into the gangs kitty.

Nobody is talking about treating beggars like dirt. The idea of ignoring them has been suggested. I diasgree. If the beggar is a child I ask them if they have school tomorrow. If he/she is a grown up I offer a simple no thank you in their own language so they know I am not a tourist.

It is a personal choice - to give or not to give - but always bear in mind that the money that you might give will probably not be going direct to whom you assume to be the benifecery.

My local Thai Bar gets many beggars . First there are the children selling naff unscented wilting roses , not only one time in the evening but a steady stream of them from 8pm until about 1 am . They are all ages from about 5 - 12 years old. They can see flowers already on the bar or being held by a bar girl , so in love with the man who bought one for her from the previous child who was in , so why do they keep on asking ?

Then later , in comes the man on crutches with a leg missing , holding a cup out and saying nothing. I have been tempted to pour a bit of my Leo in there , but had 2nd thoughts, just as well with the price of Leo these days.

Then we have the 2 peice Orchestra , the blind man with his trusted guide leading him to every bar in town. He has an Amplifier strapped to his chest , a Mic attached also , and stands in the bar regardless of what music is being played in the bar , and sings along to the music bellowing out of his Amp. The old dear propping him up also has a cup in hand and slowly taking him with her , stops at every farang in the bar. However, hes the only one I see farangs dipping into their 5 bht of change just to get them out the way .

Then theres the aging twins, these two are mountain people , Acka I think. They must be in their 70's either that or they have had a hard life .

With Beetle nut stained lips and teeth , they look like they have just devoured a sick buffalo and look a bit scary .

When this is happening every night and contstantly being badgered for dosh it gets really annoying . I am sure we have all dipped into our pockets and given , knowing their plight . Now I turn away from them and ignore but at the same time feel a little bit guilty . What are your thoughts on this ?

This is Thailand. Drink at home, or in your own country, and spare a thought for

Is it Ok to ask what you do for "those less well off than you are"???

The rule a all over the world is never ever give to a beggar....you actually are not helping them..

Not strictly true.

Ask yourself this?

Lets say you are an honest working guy, in a good well paid job, nice house, car, attractive loving wife with all the mod cons that go with it.

Suddenly the company closes and you lose your job, cant pay for the house anymore and it gets repossessed, have to sell the car because cant afford to run it, and the caring ever loving wife runs off with the 6ft multi millionaire company director Robert Redford lookalike next door because you are no longer able to keep her in the lifestyle she is accustomed to.

Then you find yourself out in the street, destitute, homeless and unwanted.

Who do you think is going to take pity and come to the rescue?

So if you were in a similar situation, would your opinions still be the same?

Most people trafficking in Thailand is for begging according to UNESCO.

The monks - I haven't seen on Sukumvit for a while.

They weren't Thai if I remember correctly.

And according to various research by UNESCO and others, the sex trade involves the mafia and people trafficking too, but that doesn't stop foreigners hanging out at Nana, doing trade with the hookers while shunning the beggars :)

If what you say is true, then why is it that foreigners so willingly sponsor the mafia-riddled sex trade, while crying foul on the mafia riddled begging trade? The two go hand in hand, are tied together at the neck, and to assert that one is right and the other is wrong sounds so very inconsistent.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I find them all very annoying and give them nothing these days. The blind singers are the worst of them all,it wouldn't surprise me if they end up deaf as well with the volume of those machines they carry around with them.

Wow, that's a little harsh isn't it?

At least these guys and their partners are trying to do something for their money. They're showing some pride and not just grabbing handouts. It's the guys are are obviously not really handicapped that get me, or even worse is the older ladies who "rent a baby" and sit there with their hand out waiting for money - they should be arrested for exploiting an infant.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I find them all very annoying and give them nothing these days. The blind singers are the worst of them all,it wouldn't surprise me if they end up deaf as well with the volume of those machines they carry around with them.

Wow, that's a little harsh isn't it?

At least these guys and their partners are trying to do something for their money. They're showing some pride and not just grabbing handouts. It's the guys are are obviously not really handicapped that get me, or even worse is the older ladies who "rent a baby" and sit there with their hand out waiting for money - they should be arrested for exploiting an infant.

I've got nothing against blind singers - but the ones walking down sukhumvit aren't exactly Stieve Wonder are they now :)

The girls in the bar are also less well off than the OP, on a par with the beggar were it not for their physical attractiveness, but the OP tolerates their presence. Thailand is better off if people like this do go home

And unfortunatly the girls have to tolerate the presence of the OP.

They tried not pouring Leo in his mug, but he didnt take the hint. :)

Edited by JoeThePoster

And according to various research by UNESCO and others, the sex trade involves the mafia and people trafficking too, but that doesn't stop foreigners hanging out at Nana, doing trade with the hookers while shunning the beggars :)

If what you say is true, then why is it that foreigners so willingly sponsor the mafia-riddled sex trade, while crying foul on the mafia riddled begging trade? The two go hand in hand, are tied together at the neck, and to assert that one is right and the other is wrong sounds so very inconsistent.

Can you not fathom the idea that the busker, the shoe shine man, the lamp boy, the town ballard, the chimney sweep, and the hooker are all provding a service. Whereas the simple beggar exhibiting his sores on a footbridge or the woman carrying a doped up baby around the city is not providing a service. They are simply playing on the guilt or shame of unlookers. If I'm going to give up some of my hard earned money I expect something in return. And putting on a habit when you are not a monk won't cut it. I'[ve had some pretend monks walkk into my office so drunk they couldn't stand up.

As Sasanie points out. Anyone can become a beggar. It's how we pick ourselves up after the event that matters.

Can you not fathom the idea that the busker, the shoe shine man, the lamp boy, the town ballard, the chimney sweep, and the hooker are all provding a service. Whereas the simple beggar exhibiting his sores on a footbridge or the woman carrying a doped up baby around the city is not providing a service. They are simply playing on the guilt or shame of unlookers. If I'm going to give up some of my hard earned money I expect something in return. And putting on a habit when you are not a monk won't cut it. I'[ve had some pretend monks walkk into my office so drunk they couldn't stand up.

As Sasanie points out. Anyone can become a beggar. It's how we pick ourselves up after the event that matters.

Ah I see, so you only give money when you are reciving something in return. I suppose that you never give to charity either, as you receive nothing back. That's up to you. You are concerned that money given to beggars may not all be given to them, so you prefer not to give anything, but do prostitutes keep all the money they get? Isn't the 200 Baht a day that a beggar may or may not end up with better then the zero Baht that they would otherwise get?

Going back to the topic of this thread - the OP was repulsed by beggars while drinking in a girlie bar. Others were shunning beggars, citing lofty and noble grounds of not wishing to support the mafia. Perhaps someone can explain this disdain for a mafia sponsored begging service, while eagerly partaking of a mafia sponsored girlie bar service, the beggars and the girls being identical in all but physical appearance, then tell us how they contribute to the overall good of the country in any way, whatsoever?

i have often seen thai people give to these " beggers " many very handicapped in one way or another, they are not just in pattaya but all over thailand, i have also seen many times food stall holders giving them some food, but i have never heard thai's complain about them, as we all know there is no welfare system in this country and old and handicapped have to rely on family or in these cases which would suggest maybe no family so they have to resort to begging ok there are organised crime involved with some of them but not all. show a little compassion,that will cost you nothing

Ah I see, so you only give money when you are reciving something in return. I suppose that you never give to charity either, as you receive nothing back. That's up to you. You are concerned that money given to beggars may not all be given to them, so you prefer not to give anything, but do prostitutes keep all the money they get? Isn't the 200 Baht a day that a beggar may or may not end up with better then the zero Baht that they would otherwise get?

Going back to the topic of this thread - the OP was repulsed by beggars while drinking in a girlie bar. Others were shunning beggars, citing lofty and noble grounds of not wishing to support the mafia. Perhaps someone can explain this disdain for a mafia sponsored begging service, while eagerly partaking of a mafia sponsored girlie bar service, the beggars and the girls being identical in all but physical appearance, then tell us how they contribute to the overall good of the country in any way, whatsoever?

If you seriously need to ask the question why tourists are happy to pay young good looking women to spend time with them and would probably pass on the opportunity to buy a amputee a house then it is time for some basic psychcology lessons. They are young good looking women. Men like young good looking women the same way that women like young good looking men. It is a thing called hormones. Hormones sometimes affect a mans morals (or lack thereof).

As for the mafia running the nana bar girl scene. You are incorrect as far as i gather. Perhaps some police are paid. But the majority of women working in the tourist areas are by no means slaves to mafia run operations. Contrary to the majority of beggars who are.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

2) This indeed is Thailand, and there is nothing whatsoever that you, the OP or I can do to change it. Beggars, being part of Thailand, must therefore be tolerated. Resenting their presence is an exercise in utter futility

3) Sitting in a girlie bar while showing contempt for those less well off is rather an unpleasant way to behave, and shows a lack of compassion for one's fellow men and women. The girls in the bar are also less well off than the OP, on a par with the beggar were it not for their physical attractiveness, but the OP tolerates their presence. The beggars, human beings none the less, are the object of the OP's contempt simply because he can't take advantage of them and they are asking his charity for no return of sexual favour. What does this say about the nature of the OP's character, and what does this say about the value of his contribution to the good of society?

1. I was sitting in a Thai Bar , I didnt say a girlie bar

2. The bar is owned and run as a bar and not a pick-up joint

3. There were a mix of Thai and Farang drinkers in the bar.

4. I was not showing contemp at anything , only showing my annoyance

5. I wsnt behaving any way other than the same as anyone else would do

6. Compassion is warrented when its warrented and not abused

7. The girls are less well off in the bars yes but even less well off if we didnt support the bar trade

8. The Attractiveness of the ladies working in the bar is of personal choice and not all are attractive in my opinion

9. I tolerat the presence of ladies who work in the bar , as without them I wouldnt get served.

10.I have no intention of taking advantage or the beggars or the ladies in the bar

11. What gives you the right to slander my character ?

12. I am happily married and do not seek the pleasures of hookers

13. If I did seek the sexual favours some girls offer , it is none of your business

14. My contribution to Thailand is the money I have brought into the country , the money I spend on adaily basis , the support of a Thai wife and her family , the people in my villag ewhos services I use (none of them sexual ), the building trade who built my house , the transport I have used and bought , I can go on and on .

So as for what I do , is possibly more than you can do in a lifetime , yet I am not preaching BS to you .

15. And as for people like me ? should pack up and go home , I would if the Childrens home that I run could support itself with Thai funds, however , that wont happen.

This opinion that the girls in bars would be less well off if not supported, is a try and justify ones reasons for their sexual gratifications.

I wager you don’t give a rats behind as to the background of these girls and probably wouldn`t give anyone the time of day.

Men are supporting the trade because they expect something in return. In other words, these girls are considered no more than a product.

As for giving to beggars and the less fortunate, this can only be done if one has genuine compassion, by giving and expecting nothing in return, as they have nothing to offer.

It’s what’s in the heart of people that counts, not the I’m all right Jack so tough luck and sod off approach.

According to a report on a survey only 10% of the Thai 'hospitality' industry is financed by Farang - the survey'quoted on another site' - 450,000 Thai males are serviced daily!!!

So if the farang wants to do is bit for beggars as he does the girls.....give to 1 in 10 would seem proportionate...

But if you can afford to give more please do....... :)

According to a report on a survey only 10% of the Thai 'hospitality' industry is financed by Farang - the survey'quoted on another site' - 450,000 Thai males are serviced daily!!!

So if the farang wants to do is bit for beggars as he does the girls.....give to 1 in 10 would seem proportionate...

But if you can afford to give more please do....... :D

I see what your saying - but 10% is way too high. Why do westerners keep thinking that they invented prostitution? They have been at it for years all over the place. :)

I see what your saying - but 10% is way too high. Why do westerners keep thinking that they invented prostitution? They have been at it for years all over the place. :)

Perhaps the 10% also includes the foreign asians - then it makes more sense..........the minor point I am making is that the people on this thread who are claiming horror at the 'use' of ladies as a 'product' by farang....should perhaps look closer to home regarding the perpetuation of the male entertainment industry here in Thailand..........

Perhaps the 10% also includes the foreign asians - then it makes more sense..........the minor point I am making is that the people on this thread who are claiming horror at the 'use' of ladies as a 'product' by farang....should perhaps look closer to home regarding the perpetuation of the male entertainment industry here in Thailand..........

Agreed, and futhermore they could perhaps notice that the domestic establishments catering to thai on Thai entertainment do not have as many beggars working there.

Yes it is quite surprising the way the beggars are so desperate as to continually approach the insensitive,niggardly,hard hearted,mean farang......just gluttons for punishment I guess......because clearly they would get a much better response from local people?

I usually ignore them. There is the occasional beggar selling something that I want, so I buy it. There is also the occasion one that tugs at my heart strings and I give them money.

For me, don't always ignore, but don't always give, when you want to and when you don't want too give should be up to you without feeling bad or others. They will have there bad and moody days as well as you and i, not in your life, not in your way, deal with it or walk away, can't see it changing.

Note, i'm currently working in South Africa (Gautang) and similar, but at every second set of traffic lights and how do you get away from it? you don't, find a way as we do.

Regards

My local Thai Bar gets many beggars . First there are the children selling naff unscented wilting roses , not only one time in the evening but a steady stream of them from 8pm until about 1 am . They are all ages from about 5 - 12 years old. They can see flowers already on the bar or being held by a bar girl , so in love with the man who bought one for her from the previous child who was in , so why do they keep on asking ?

Then later , in comes the man on crutches with a leg missing , holding a cup out and saying nothing. I have been tempted to pour a bit of my Leo in there , but had 2nd thoughts, just as well with the price of Leo these days.

Then we have the 2 peice Orchestra , the blind man with his trusted guide leading him to every bar in town. He has an Amplifier strapped to his chest , a Mic attached also , and stands in the bar regardless of what music is being played in the bar , and sings along to the music bellowing out of his Amp. The old dear propping him up also has a cup in hand and slowly taking him with her , stops at every farang in the bar. However, hes the only one I see farangs dipping into their 5 bht of change just to get them out the way .

Then theres the aging twins, these two are mountain people , Acka I think. They must be in their 70's either that or they have had a hard life .

With Beetle nut stained lips and teeth , they look like they have just devoured a sick buffalo and look a bit scary .

When this is happening every night and contstantly being badgered for dosh it gets really annoying . I am sure we have all dipped into our pockets and given , knowing their plight . Now I turn away from them and ignore but at the same time feel a little bit guilty . What are your thoughts on this ?

This is Thailand. Drink at home, or in your own country, and spare a thought for those less well off than you are.

What a original response.

Yes, what a moronic response :) So if you happen to be hit by a truck travelling on the wrong side of the road at 150kmph then we can say 'get over it - This is Thailand"