People Warned Against Forwarding PM's Doctored Audio Clip

george

People warned against forwarding PM's doctored audio clip

BANGKOK: -- Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy chief of Central Investigation Bureau, Monday warned the people against forwarding Prime Minister's doctored audio clip.

He said anyone was caught forwarding the clip could be arrested and subject to one year imprisonment and Bt500,000 fine.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-31

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZOMGz noes! If its doctored and indeed a false, the release of an order to stop it from being spread is only going to cause that spread to go far further.

Personally I know ALL THAI POLITICIANS are corrupt, its part of the nature of the country and politics. But obviously there was some form of change that was going on behind the scenes that made him need to be removed in the first place, was this really for the good of the public? I don't know, but he is gone now and whatever it was they wanted to stop they have stopped.

Perhaps this is fake and is a weapon in a struggle between political entities with the one reward being profit in the end the people don't matter. Not much changes for them.

But what a morose statement, completely illegal as well unless he some how drafted a law preventing the trade of this type of media and then the specific intellectual property on it. Stupid, unfounded statement.

we are seeing a trend towards ....... something resembling burma

Wouldnt any country charge those involved in the creation and disemmination of a fake production of this quite nasty nature? I dont notice the opposition party criticising this Zinoviev letter tactic as would happen in most countries.

It seems with the arrest of named people this file has been rather quickly traced back and this case may actually come to conclusion. The rate at which opposition MPs are denying a connection to it even if they darent denounce the silly thing implies there is some potentail damage coming down the line.

Police search Shinawatra building

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 31/08/2009 at 04:17 PM

Crime Suppression Division police on Monday afternoon searched the office of SC Asset, a property firm of the Shinawatra family, to look into the computers of two company employees arrested on Sunday for alleged involvement in the release of the controversial audio clip with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's edited voice.

With a warrant issued by the Criminal Court, four plain-clothes CSD policemen, led by Pol Lt-Col Withaya Sriprasertparp, deputy superindent of the CSD Division 1, went to the Shinawatra 3 building, where SC Asset is located, and coordinated with Pichit Chuenban, the company's lawyer, to examine the computers of the two suspects.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post

/edit tags

Edited by Insight

we are seeing a trend towards ....... something resembling burma

Wouldnt any country charge those involved in the creation and disemmination of a fake production of this quite nasty nature? I dont notice the opposition party criticising this Zinoviev letter tactic as would happen in most countries.

It seems with the arrest of named people this file has been rather quickly traced back and this case may actually come to conclusion. The rate at which opposition MPs are denying a connection to it even if they darent denounce the silly thing implies there is some potentail damage coming down the line.

We are not joking about the clip itself which is miserable but about the police statement which is ridiculous.

Under Staline period, it was probably possible to edit such rules but now... Imagine a Thai cop behind any Thai to check what he's sending by MMS or e mail.

They probably got there a bit late, but nevermind...

I remember looking at the info Sound Forge automatically pinned to WAV files a few years ago. If it didn't occur to the author to check this info then it's no wonder they got caught. It wouldn't the first time that side has used technology absolutely cluelessly to manipulate evidence.... :)

BANGKOK: -- Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy chief of Central Investigation Bureau, Monday warned the people against forwarding Prime Minister's doctored audio clip.

He said anyone was caught forwarding the clip could be arrested and subject to one year imprisonment and Bt500,000 fine.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-31

What a joke. Surely they could maybe concentrate on prosecuting the Red and Yellow shirts that have a caused so much more problems with their public disorder than some grainy fake.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-31

What a joke. Surely they could maybe concentrate on prosecuting the Red and Yellow shirts that have a caused so much more problems with their public disorder than some grainy fake.

True. Although I don't think that they are saying that it is something that they are looking to concentrate on, rather that they will prosecute should it come to their attention. I don't think that even they could dream up a plan to monitor it after all, for all we know it could be on you-tube by now.

They should stop wasting their time on rounding up the third and fourth geeration pushers and concentrate on those who manufactured it and first distributed it and any politco trying to take advantage. There certainly seems enough evidence to be working on here.

I wonder if the computers in SC Asset had their hard drives changed over the weekend.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-31

Is this a stern warning to the world... ?

What a joke!

Post containing reference to non-existing politician deleted. I suggest people start using the proper name of persons to avoid confusion and deletion of the post.

1 post asking for a copy of the clip deleted, as we don't allow illegal activities to be discussed on the forum.

As you never tried to find some fresh scandalous paparazzi video and discovered that it was removed from all major hosting sites. You think they do it out of their goodwill?

You can, and will be sued for publishing content like this anywhere in the world.

As for forwarding e-mails it's "catch me if you can situation". It is possible that those two employees were found by tracing the origins of one of those forwarded e-mails and the buck stopped there. Now they eiher have to disclose their source or face the music. The police checked their computers,and if they don't see that the clip was downloaded or recieved from somewhere else the guys must have had the access to the hard copy either on a CD or a thumbdrive.

It's possible that the police will find some other original sources of e-mail chain and start pushing those folks, too.

Or it could be that the clip itself had a signature of the software on their machines, as everybody assumes. In that case they are just a small fish, there's no way to prove that they have been ordered to forge the recording.

Post containing reference to non-existing politician deleted. I suggest people start using the proper name of persons to avoid confusion and deletion of the post.

1 post asking for a copy of the clip deleted, as we don't allow illegal activities to be discussed on the forum.

You deleted the post of the policeman / political officer in charge of TV.

He was just making his job, trying to fool / lure a culprit.

it will be almost impossibe to trace the origins.

emails, headers and all, can be faked

file signatures can be faked.

whoever has possession of the "evidence" can have it point to anyone they want.

something very very fishy about all this.

Edited by mc2

They should stop wasting their time on rounding up the third and fourth geeration pushers and concentrate on those who manufactured it and first distributed it and any politco trying to take advantage. There certainly seems enough evidence to be working on here.

I wonder if the computers in SC Asset had their hard drives changed over the weekend.

Well they have someone pretty darned close to a Miss. underboss in Thailand

and those minions are usually the easiest ones to turn.

Except for the Shipping Moo factor of course.

Historically one thing we have seen is that the evidence PTP is always trying to take down the Dems with

ALWAYS FALLS FLAT.... they couldn't adequately fabricate a paper bag it seems some days.

So to imaging they are so adept at covering digital evidence trails would not seem encouraging,

if you are a PTP executive.

Edited by animatic

While headers and signatures can be faked, if the copies were found in "sent" folders of SC Asset computers they'd have some explaining to do. "Someone framed me" argument won't fly here.

We don't know what the police check there, but completely deleting all traces of a file is a very difficult job, way above the level of those crude forgeries.

I know what's fishy... it's you! :)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-31

True. Although I don't think that they are saying that it is something that they are looking to concentrate on, rather that they will prosecute should it come to their attention. I don't think that even they could dream up a plan to monitor it after all, for all we know it could be on you-tube by now.

They can't monitor it, no way, all they can do is block facebook again, but it will be view as censorship and will be used by the reds to take abhisit out, and they can just keep on trying to delete every single clip on the entire web which is impossible.

I dont think they have to do anything, the clip is already out, and smart people dont need to forward using email or mms, we can just use a thumbdrive or a CD.

I know what's fishy... it's you! :)

It's the Somtam...

obviously digital forensics is not on his resume.

Should read Dr. Dobbs, more than Doc Martin or Doc Johnson catalogs. :D

You deleted the post of the policeman / political officer in charge of TV.

He was just making his job, trying to fool / lure a culprit.

Oops, my mistake. But I won't hold it against you.